PDA

View Full Version : Is the premium and/or professional look lost?

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 12, 2013, 02:19 PM
A former iPhone user and current Android user. Regardless of the reasons I decided to switch, I've still looked at iOS as having that simple professional and premium/conservative look.

With iOS7 it doesn't seem to have that feel anymore and has lost a good portion of it's uniqueness. IMO, this could backfire and lead many die hard consumers towards other platforms. Not because of any dislike for the iOS7 look, but mainly cause it now looks like it could be just another skinned version of another platform.

I seen so many decent mock-ups that added the same new functionality, but kept the iOS look and feel intact. I'm disappointed that wasn't the direction taken.

chrf097
Jun 12, 2013, 02:30 PM
No, it's not at all.

bbfc
Jun 12, 2013, 02:31 PM
No, it's not at all.

I was thinking the same thing but I really like where they are going and people were moaning on about how stale the UI had got. It'll be more polished when the GM is released.

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 02:35 PM
No. If anything, it has finally arrived. iOS no longer looks like a giant turd, thankfully. It is finally sleek, clean, modern, and professional-looking.

Old iOS looked and felt very fake and cheesy.

Joe HS
Jun 12, 2013, 02:49 PM
The new look is certainly fresh but it is hardly refined.
While the animations are pretty nice many of the icons on toolbars and elsewhere in apps are just too thin; they don't look touchable. On top of that (in the present beta, of course) the supposed "typography based interface" is awfully cluttered – Take a look at the title bar on an open conversation thread in Messages: Between "< Messages", the person's name and "Contact" the whole thing is taken up. Many people's names still don't fit either. The text is far too large!
A clean interface is needed for flat styling to work.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33faihd.png

Edit: Further evidence iOS is losing it's signature: In days of old on 3:2 iOS Devices as the status bar was not shown in the Camera app the area of the screen left after the height of a standard title bar was put in place was 4:3 in ratio - exactly fitting that of photos that are taken. In the iOS 7 beta the captured image extends past the bounds as seen on the capture screen.

Current Safari (top), thicker icons (below):
http://i41.tinypic.com/2lv1bpt.png

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 12, 2013, 02:56 PM
While the animations are pretty nice many of the icons on toolbars and elsewhere in apps are just too thin; they don't look touchable. On top of that (in the present beta, of course) the supposed "typography based interface" is awfully cluttered Take a look at the title bar on an open conversation thread in Messages: Between "< Messages", the person's name and "Contact" the whole thing is taken up. Many people's names still don't fit either. The text is far too large!

Image (http://i39.tinypic.com/33faihd.png)

If this weren't a iOS7 thread, I would have just assumed those screenshots were from a WP8 device.

falconeight
Jun 12, 2013, 02:59 PM
no its not lost

Crzyrio
Jun 12, 2013, 03:01 PM
While the animations are pretty nice many of the icons on toolbars and elsewhere in apps are just too thin; they don't look touchable. On top of that (in the present beta, of course) the supposed "typography based interface" is awfully cluttered Take a look at the title bar on an open conversation thread in Messages: Between "< Messages", the person's name and "Contact" the whole thing is taken up. Many people's names still don't fit either. The text is far too large!

Image (http://i39.tinypic.com/33faihd.png)

What app is that :S

Joe HS
Jun 12, 2013, 03:06 PM
What app is that :S

Messages, I drew a less cluttered version.

Holty123
Jun 12, 2013, 03:41 PM
Maybe