Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veilsidegtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
Hey guys, i have a 12" powerbook g4 and i just got a wireless router put in the house im living at. Unfortunetly the router has a password of somesort....and whenever i try to connect it wants a password, but its some sort of encryption i believe. Can anyone help me on what to do? Thank u

ibookowner2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
If i am not mistaken the default user name is blank and the password is admin, try that.

veilsidegtr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
No that did not work....all it gives me is a small window with two options. The first one is a pull down bar that says either; Wireless Security: WEP Password, Wep 40/128-bit hex, WEP 40/128-bit ASCII, and Leap. So i dunno what to do.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Use another machine, or use an Ethernet cable from the router to the powerbook, and log into the router's admin. page. Refer to your router manual or go online to Linksys.com for instructions.

This really is a RTFM scenario here. Way too much to cover on a post.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
So you're looking for the password to log onto the network, not the password for the router settings.

Are you trying to log onto your own network or somebody else's?...

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
veilsidegtr said:
Hey guys, i have a 12" powerbook g4 and i just got a wireless router put in the house im living at. Unfortunetly the router has a password of somesort....and whenever i try to connect it wants a password, but its some sort of encryption i believe. Can anyone help me on what to do? Thank u

You shouldn't have to do anything but click on the network you want to join. Just make sure it's yours. ;)

TheMonarch

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2005
Bay Area
CanadaRAM said:
Use another machine, or use an Ethernet cable from the router to the powerbook, and log into the router's admin. page. Refer to your router manual or go online to Linksys.com for instructions.

This really is a RTFM scenario here. Way too much to cover on a post.

RTFM... What could that mean? Read the freaking manual? Radio transmission frequency module? :p

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
blaskillet4 said:
RTFM... What could that mean? Read the freaking manual? Radio transmission frequency module? :p

Replace "freaking" with a slightly less genteel word and you've got it in one!
;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.