PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Yahoo got an early peak at iOS 7?

sigamy
Jun 12, 2013, 03:59 PM
iOS 7's stock weather app is basically the Yahoo Weather app...and Yahoo Weather is using many of the elements of iOS 7's new UI.

Is this just a matter of design trends matching? Or do you think Yahoo got an early view of the new UI, thin fonts, etc?

sbailey4
Jun 12, 2013, 04:05 PM
Nah, Yahoo supplies Apples weather app even currently. So I suspect Apple got the new design from Yahoo not the other way around. Almost exact except has automation instead of flickr photos from the looks of it.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 04:16 PM
I wish it had Flickr integration. I have several locations I check the weather for just because of the photos.

lewismayell
Jun 12, 2013, 04:18 PM
I wish it had Flickr integration. I have several locations I check the weather for just because of the photos.

It does actually have Flickr intergration

The option was in default settings and I don't have the app

imaginex20
Jun 12, 2013, 04:22 PM
It does actually have Flickr intergration

The option was in default settings and I don't have the app

I believe he meant Flickr integration into the iOS 7 weather app just like yahoo's weather app

lewismayell
Jun 12, 2013, 04:23 PM
I believe he meant Flickr integration into the iOS 7 weather app just like yahoo's weather app

Ahh

DarwinOSX
Jun 21, 2013, 12:19 PM
Apple is doing work with Yahoo, Microsoft, and other companies that will help them distance themselves from Google. I hope it was worth it for Samsung and Google to so slavishly copy Apple because it's hurting them financially.

iOS 7's stock weather app is basically the Yahoo Weather app...and Yahoo Weather is using many of the elements of iOS 7's new UI.

Is this just a matter of design trends matching? Or do you think Yahoo got an early view of the new UI, thin fonts, etc?

thegrants82
Jun 21, 2013, 12:36 PM

Of course the did.

daiichi
Jun 21, 2013, 12:39 PM

Yahoo designed the Weather app. Apple decided to use that design in iOS7. And that app is fairly new so you know iOS 7 was thrown together quite recently.

nepalisherpa
Jun 21, 2013, 12:41 PM
Yahoo designed the Weather app. Apple decided to use that design in iOS7. And that app is fairly new so you know iOS 7 was thrown together quite recently.

How can you be so certain? It's possible that Apple told Yahoo about the new design (since they were going to integrate it into the OS) and Yahoo released their weather app with that design.

GoCubsGo
Jun 21, 2013, 12:48 PM

You have no way of knowing this, not at all.

fivedots
Jun 21, 2013, 12:51 PM

Or you know, they both follow similar industry design trends.

C DM
Jun 21, 2013, 01:53 PM
Or you know, they both follow similar industry design trends.And/or they collaborated to some degree at least.

Black Magic
Jun 21, 2013, 01:56 PM

The iOS 7 weather app is made by Yahoo. If you look at the logo on the bottom inside the app you will see it.

The big thing that I thought you were saying initially was that iOS 7 in general is based off the Yahoo weather app. Layers and all. Think about it.

fivedots
Jun 21, 2013, 02:00 PM
The iOS 7 weather app is made by Yahoo. If you look at the logo on the bottom inside the app you will see it.

The big thing that I thought you were saying initially was that iOS 7 in general is based off the Yahoo weather app. Layers and all. Think about it.

It's powered by Yahoo data, not developed by Yahoo.

Quercus Alba
Jun 21, 2013, 02:06 PM
Nah, Yahoo supplies Apples weather app even currently. So I suspect Apple got the new design from Yahoo not the other way around. Almost exact except has automation instead of flickr photos from the looks of it.

No no no, Yahoo merely supplies the data for the default Weather.app. They have nothing to do with its design.

FelixDerKater
Jun 21, 2013, 02:11 PM
Maybe Yahoo! has more of a hand in the design of iOS 7 than we know...

----------

No no no, Yahoo merely supplies the data for the default Weather.app. They have nothing to do with its design.

Have you used Yahoo's own weather app? The design is practically identical, excepting Yahoo's app providing more information.

C DM
Jun 21, 2013, 02:18 PM
No no no, Yahoo merely supplies the data for the default Weather.app. They have nothing to do with its design.We don't really know whether or not Yahoo! truly has nothing to do with the design...perhaps it does (at least to some degree, and perhaps at least in iOS 7).

daiichi
Jun 21, 2013, 02:20 PM
Apple Weather and Yahoo! Weather are two different apps.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/10/article-2338987-1A3F4E10000005DC-740_306x248.jpghttp://itechapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Yahoo-Weather-App-for-iPhone-and-iPod-Touch.jpg

They might look similar, but they are two different things. Apple's decision to update their weather app was a recent thing. And Yahoo's app still blows Apple's out of the water.

Quercus Alba
Jun 21, 2013, 02:24 PM
Have you used Yahoo's own weather app? The design is practically identical, excepting Yahoo's app providing more information.

I have used Yahoo's weather app, and it's very nice.

The designs are similar (thin, white fonts with thin, simple weather symbols over a "live" backdrop), but hardly identical. There's huge differences in the way each app looks and behaves once you move past superficial first impressions of "hey the font looks similar!".

The iOS 7 Weather.app is something Apple seems to be quite proud of. They specifically showed it off during WWDC, and if you have access to the WWDC session videos this year, the new Weather.app is frequently used as an example of iOS 7's new icon and design philosophies. Not once is it mentioned that Apple talked to Yahoo for design advice. The Weather.app is very much an Apple original.

So let's just put this to rest: Yahoo has nothing to do with the default Weather app's design.

With regards to the OP, Yahoo never got a sneak-peek(!) at iOS 7.

Why would Apple want to throw around their top-secret mobile OS just so some designers at Yahoo could make a 3rd-party weather app which matched its design? No reason at all.

The similarities between iOS 7's general aesthetics and the Yahoo weather app are purely coincidental. Do you think Apple gave The Iconfactory access to iOS 7 so that they could make Twitterrific 5 along the same aesthetic? No. Of course they didn't. These are simply examples of clever designers following industry trends.

Small White Car
Jun 21, 2013, 02:26 PM
For those who are confused, this is the Apple-made weather app that uses Yahoo data in iOS 6:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/weather1.jpg

And this is the Yahoo weather app that, yes, does look a lot like iOS 7.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/weather2.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/weather3.jpg

And here's the Apple-made iOS 7 weather app:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1589713/PHOTOS/Screenshots/weather4.jpg

Personally, I think it's a matter of Apple being late to a general trend that Yahoo and Microsoft have both picked up on sooner.

daiichi
Jun 21, 2013, 02:27 PM
Basically Apple saw Yahoo! created this cool weather app, so they copied it.

/thread

bchery21
Jun 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
Apple Weather and Yahoo! Weather are two different apps.

Image (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/10/article-2338987-1A3F4E10000005DC-740_306x248.jpg)Image (http://itechapple.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Yahoo-Weather-App-for-iPhone-and-iPod-Touch.jpg)

They might look similar, but they are two different things. Apple's decision to update their weather app was a recent thing. And Yahoo's app still blows Apple's out of the water.

Interesting but Yahoo changed their app icon because a lot of people disliked it. Word is people hate the new one too...

daiichi
Jun 21, 2013, 03:06 PM
Interesting but Yahoo changed their app icon because a lot of people disliked it. Word is people hate the new one too...
They wanted a cosmetic fit with the OS, because people were going to use it as their main weather app, so they changed it to realistic clouds, and tossed the purple.

It's not perfect looking but eh..

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/10/article-2338987-1A3F4E10000005DC-740_306x248.jpg

Apple's one looks like a cracked egg.

bchery21
Jun 21, 2013, 03:17 PM
They wanted a cosmetic fit with the OS, because people were going to use it as their main weather app, so they changed it to realistic clouds, and tossed the purple.

It's not perfect looking but eh..

Image (http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/10/article-2338987-1A3F4E10000005DC-740_306x248.jpg)

Apple's one looks like a cracked egg.

I beg to differ on that "cracked egg" remark. But who knows, maybe it'll get altered before the GM...

...btw I just noticed the blueprint lines behind the app icon in your picture. Maybe because of my monitor at work isn't that great.

daiichi
Jun 21, 2013, 03:20 PM
If they could go back to showing the weather I don't see why not. It would've also been nice if it changed colors depending on the weather.

As it looks now, the first thing I said was, "Ooh, they now have a breakfast app?"

imaginex20
Jun 21, 2013, 03:51 PM
Maybe Yahoo! has more of a hand in the design of iOS 7 than we know...

----------

I agree! I think Apple is getting help from some yahoo designers on iOS 7. The ios 7 weather app is practically yahoo's with less details.

If you look at the design of the new notification center, the design resembles yahoo's weather app too

C DM
Jun 21, 2013, 04:12 PM
If they could go back to showing the weather I don't see why not. It would've also been nice if it changed colors depending on the weather.

As it looks now, the first thing I said was, "Ooh, they now have a breakfast app?"You are looking at it wrong. :apple: ;)

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 21, 2013, 04:44 PM
I don't think Yahoo got an early peek. The two programs are eerily similar, though.

pdutta2000
Jun 21, 2013, 08:11 PM
Basically Apple saw Yahoo! created this cool weather app, so they copied it.

/thread

We have a winner. I'm as much of an apple fanboy as the next guy but the iOS 7 weather app is too similar to the yahoo app. Not a great precedent to set for the developer community. I didn't realize "Think Different" meant copy blatantly.

C DM
Jun 21, 2013, 08:15 PM
We have a winner. I'm as much of an apple fanboy as the next guy but the iOS 7 weather app is too similar to the yahoo app. Not a great precedent to set for the developer community. I didn't realize "Think Different" meant copy blatantly.And, again, do we know that's what actually happened?

Rogifan
Jun 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
We have a winner. I'm as much of an apple fanboy as the next guy but the iOS 7 weather app is too similar to the yahoo app. Not a great precedent to set for the developer community. I didn't realize "Think Different" meant copy blatantly.

Hmm...if Apple did this don't you think someone from Yahoo would be complaining about being ripped off and that would have leaked to the press? Yahoo's app was one of Apple's design award winners. Rumor has it Ive personally called up Marisa Mayer to tell her how much Apple liked the app. Seems a little unlikely then that Apple would just rip it off. Plus the fact that it is so similar makes me think they collaborated on it or Apple got permission from Yahoo to design something similar. Again if it was a complete ripoff without Yahoo's knowlede someone at Yahoo would have bitched about it and we'd know about it b/c those kinds of things don't stay secret.

daiichi
Jun 21, 2013, 08:26 PM
And, again, do we know that's what actually happened?

The developers of the Yahoo app themselves will tell you, after all they are the ones who won the Apple design awards.

And actually Apple was smart to incorporate their stunning design into their OS, after all they're already teamed up.

As it turns out, both of the Apps are good, but but I'd say Apple's is actually better because it shows real time animations of the weather instead of pictures from Flickr.

pdutta2000
Jun 21, 2013, 08:31 PM

It doesn't matter if that's exactly what happened. It makes for good gossip. :D Seriously though, the Yahoo app was released first in April 2013. At that point Apple had to have known their design for the iOS weather app would look strikingly similar. The base pages are essentially identical. The yahoo app actually is a little more functional so the perception will be that Apple "borrowed" heavily. Even if it is not true, the perception will still be present because the Apple app comes out after the Yahoo app. Again I'm an Apple fanboy and am actually thrilled that iOS is getting such awesome weather apps.

Drunken Master
Jun 21, 2013, 09:10 PM

Try the Take Weather app.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/take-weather-photo-sharing/id579630181?mt=8

WhackyNinja
Jun 21, 2013, 09:12 PM
I wish the iOS 7 weather app had the local radar in it. Like the Yahoo! Weather app. Thats would be a nice touch. And like said before, Flickr integration so we can have great photos in the background

Nebrie
Jun 22, 2013, 01:32 AM
1. Marissa Mayer (yahoo CEO) is a well known Apple fan girl- even when she was back at Google.

2. She's friends with Jony Ive. There is a photo floating around of a dinner party she hosted with Silicon Valley big shots and Ive is seated right next to her.

3. She was in the WWDC keynote audience.

4. There are rumors that Apple is working closely together with Yahoo to integrate more of their services.

C DM
Jun 22, 2013, 02:51 AM
The developers of the Yahoo app themselves will tell you, after all they are the ones who won the Apple design awards.

And actually Apple was smart to incorporate their stunning design into their OS, after all they're already teamed up.

As it turns out, both of the Apps are good, but but I'd say Apple's is actually better because it shows real time animations of the weather instead of pictures from Flickr.The developers of the Yahoo! app haven't told me that. Have they told that to anyone? Where is this information?

daiichi
Jun 22, 2013, 04:31 AM
The developers of the Yahoo! app haven't told me that. Have they told that to anyone? Where is this information?
www.themoneytimes.com/featured/20130426/all-new-flickr-powered-yahoo-weather-app-here-id-1701713150.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheMoneyTimes+%28The+Money+Times%29

Yahoo Weather only came about because of the acquisitions made by Yahoo CEO. When this app came out there was no mention of Apple at all.

JustJeff
Jun 22, 2013, 04:39 AM
1. Marissa Mayer (yahoo CEO) is a well known Apple fan girl- even when she was back at Google.

2. She's friends with Jony Ive. There is a photo floating around of a dinner party she hosted with Silicon Valley big shots and Ive is seated right next to her.

3. She was in the WWDC keynote audience.

4. There are rumors that Apple is working closely together with Yahoo to integrate more of their services.

Guy speaks sense.

iOSOS
Jun 22, 2013, 09:10 AM
I would guess that Apple and Yahoo have discussed deeper collaboration with each other. How it all went down only the people directly involved will know. I don't think Apple copied Yahoo.

C DM
Jun 22, 2013, 09:41 AM
www.themoneytimes.com/featured/20130426/all-new-flickr-powered-yahoo-weather-app-here-id-1701713150.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheMoneyTimes+%28The+Money+Times%29

Yahoo Weather only came about because of the acquisitions made by Yahoo CEO. When this app came out there was no mention of Apple at all.And if they didn't want to or couldn't mention Apple due to the nature of their collaboration (and the fact that iOS 7 was basically still a secret then)? Lack of mentioning some information doesn't mean that information isn't there or doesn't apply.

pdutta2000
Jun 22, 2013, 10:16 AM
I just don't see this as a collaboration. There might be an agreement between Apple and Yahoo but they didn't "collaborate" on anything. It's not like they had meetings to decide the design or content. If that was the case Yahoo wouldn't have continued updating their app since they would have known Apple would be releasing the same thing.

If there is an "Agreement" or "Understanding" it feels like the same thing you might "negotiate" with a Mob boss. Yahoo is clearly a disaster and Marissa Mayer will do anything to turn it around. Trying to get on the Apple bandwagon is clearly the right idea but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Apple didn't use every ounce of their power to get the better deal and make Yahoo agree to hand over the design.

It just doesn't make sense that Yahoo would spend any time updating a weather app of all things if they had a deal with Apple to turn over that same design. No CEO, especially one at a company losing money, could justify that. Yahoo clearly spent a lot of time building and designing that app. Now they just agree to hand it over so Apple can showcase that same design as their own? Just doesn't sound right.

imaginex20
Jun 22, 2013, 10:26 AM
I just don't see this as a collaboration. There might be an agreement between Apple and Yahoo but they didn't "collaborate" on anything. It's not like they had meetings to decide the design or content. If that was the case Yahoo wouldn't have continued updating their app since they would have known Apple would be releasing the same thing.

If there is an "Agreement" or "Understanding" it feels like the same thing you might "negotiate" with a Mob boss. Yahoo is clearly a disaster and Marissa Mayer will do anything to turn it around. Trying to get on the Apple bandwagon is clearly the right idea but let's not kid ourselves into thinking Apple didn't use every ounce of their power to get the better deal and make Yahoo agree to hand over the design.

It just doesn't make sense that Yahoo would spend any time updating a weather app of all things if they had a deal with Apple to turn over that same design. No CEO, especially one at a company losing money, could justify that. Yahoo clearly spent a lot of time building and designing that app. Now they just agree to hand it over so Apple can showcase that same design as their own? Just doesn't sound right.

This could be a likely scenario.

1. Ives used the Yahoo weather app and liked the design

2. He phones up Mayer and asks her "hey I'm redisgning iOS, want to show case your weather app in the new OS?"

3. A couple of engineers on both sides work on the collaborated app

4. Yahoo still updates their app because their app has Flickr integrated and a few more features

C DM
Jun 22, 2013, 10:39 AM

It just doesn't make sense that Yahoo would spend any time updating a weather app of all things if they had a deal with Apple to turn over that same design. No CEO, especially one at a company losing money, could justify that. Yahoo clearly spent a lot of time building and designing that app. Now they just agree to hand it over so Apple can showcase that same design as their own? Just doesn't sound right.Yup Yahoo! is an obvious disaster with their stock almost doubling in the last year or so when a lot of stocks are still going down. Making good investments like Tumblr that only a failing company could make. Yup, disaster.

pdutta2000
Jun 22, 2013, 10:49 AM
Yup Yahoo! is an obvious disaster with their stock almost doubling in the last year or so when a lot of stocks are still going down. Making good investments like Tumblr that only a failing company could make. Yup, disaster.

Please tell me you don't believe that stock price means anything about how the company is actually doing. If so then you must think Apple is going out of business. This is how Yahoo is actually doing

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/yahoo-q1-2013_n_3094799.html

And this is what Yahoo does with acquisitions

http://gizmodo.com/flashback-how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-interne-508852335

Btw the stock market is killing it and is at or near the highest levels in history. Bringing up the stock price is a weak and lazy argument and doesn't in any way address the core arguement of this thread.

pdutta2000
Jun 22, 2013, 11:01 AM
This could be a likely scenario.

1. Ives used the Yahoo weather app and liked the design

2. He phones up Mayer and asks her "hey I'm redisgning iOS, want to show case your weather app in the new OS?"

3. A couple of engineers on both sides work on the collaborated app

4. Yahoo still updates their app because their app has Flickr integrated and a few more features

I agree with all this except point #2. How does Apple using the Yahoo design in any way "showcase" the Yahoo app. If anything it eliminates it from being downloaded. It's not like Apple has a note saying "Desiged by Yahoo" or "Partnered with Yahoo". No one mentioned Yahoo during the keynote.

TacticalDesire
Jun 22, 2013, 11:04 AM
I hope it was worth it for Samsung and Google to so slavishly copy Apple because it's hurting them financially.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f168/DenmanK/ummmm.gif

imaginex20
Jun 22, 2013, 11:09 AM
I agree with all this except point #2. How does Apple using the Yahoo design in any way "showcase" the Yahoo app. If anything it eliminates it from being downloaded. It's not like Apple has a note saying "Desiged by Yahoo" or "Partnered with Yahoo". No one mentioned Yahoo during the keynote.

I might be reaching here but, in the iOS weather app it says weather.com powered by yahoo. But in yahoo's app the weather is provided by wunderground.com. Could this mean powered equals "design" in this case? Who knows

charlituna
Jun 22, 2013, 11:20 AM

That 'more information' is part of why I agree with the notion of not having a built in weather, stocks etc app. Many folks don't need them and there are way better ones in the App Store including by Yahoo. Why would I want some of the info they have when I could get their app and have all of it.

----------

Please tell me you don't believe that stock price means anything about how the company is actually doing.

Particularly not in a world where some two bit analyst gets monster press for claims of a source that says there's a delay in this or that unannounced product and the price drops in half overnight

kmj2318
Jun 22, 2013, 05:13 PM
I seriously doubt that Jony Ive got the idea after using Yahoo's app. It was only released a few months ago, and the weather app uses a lot of design decisions used in the rest of the OS, stuff that has obviously been decided before that Yahoo weather app came out. I'm more leaning towards the possibility of Yahoo borrowing Apple's design.

C DM
Jun 22, 2013, 09:53 PM
Please tell me you don't believe that stock price means anything about how the company is actually doing. If so then you must think Apple is going out of business. This is how Yahoo is actually doing

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/yahoo-q1-2013_n_3094799.html

And this is what Yahoo does with acquisitions

http://gizmodo.com/flashback-how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-interne-508852335

Btw the stock market is killing it and is at or near the highest levels in history. Bringing up the stock price is a weak and lazy argument and doesn't in any way address the core arguement of this thread.You can believe what you want to believe but let's not spread some pointless FUD about this or that being a disaster. The company is doing just fine and certainly better than it was in the last number if years.

That said it really doesn't have much bearing in this discussion one way or another. So moot anyway.

pdutta2000
Jun 23, 2013, 07:35 AM
You can believe what you want to believe but let's not spread some pointless FUD about this or that being a disaster. The company is doing just fine and certainly better than it was in the last number if years.

That said it really doesn't have much bearing in this discussion one way or another. So moot anyway.

Did you even read the article? The company is not "doing fine". It keeps losing money. Here's their latest earnings

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2013/04/16/3-reasons-yahoos-earnings-report-will-be-a-c/

Yahoo was expected to grow revenue by 2%, instead it shrank by 7%. This has direct correlation to time and money spent on a weather app that is now made almost irrelevant because Apple has released something that is almost identical. This weather app didn't get me angry because these are 2 giants going at it. Yahoo had a big name but this is really David vs Goliath. Yahoo's yearly revenue (~$5 billion) is less than Apple's quarterly profit (~$9 billion). Yahoo can't waste time and money on lost projects. Apple can. That's why I think this was Apple strong-arming Yahoo which is bad for the developer community or worse just stealing it knowing that Yahoo can't waste money fighting for a weather app.

imaginex20
Jun 23, 2013, 09:36 AM
Did you even read the article? The company is not "doing fine". It keeps losing money. Here's their latest earnings

http://www.forbes.com/sites/petercohan/2013/04/16/3-reasons-yahoos-earnings-report-will-be-a-c/

Yahoo was expected to grow revenue by 2%, instead it shrank by 7%. This has direct correlation to time and money spent on a weather app that is now made almost irrelevant because Apple has released something that is almost identical. This weather app didn't get me angry because these are 2 giants going at it. Yahoo had a big name but this is really David vs Goliath. Yahoo's yearly revenue (~$5 billion) is less than Apple's quarterly profit (~$9 billion). Yahoo can't waste time and money on lost projects. Apple can. That's why I think this was Apple strong-arming Yahoo which is bad for the developer community or worse just stealing it knowing that Yahoo can't waste money fighting for a weather app.

You can't be serious...really? No way no how is Apple strong arming Yahoo just because Yahoo is not making profits. And you're blaiming it on a weather app project? The weather app and yahoo mailbox apps demonstrates yahoo are still key players in software development. Also, if Apple was "stealing" the design, every tech site would be reporting it by now especially Gizmodo.

C DM
Jun 23, 2013, 09:48 AM

Yahoo was expected to grow revenue by 2%, instead it shrank by 7%. This has direct correlation to time and money spent on a weather app that is now made almost irrelevant because Apple has released something that is almost identical. This weather app didn't get me angry because these are 2 giants going at it. Yahoo had a big name but this is really David vs Goliath. Yahoo's yearly revenue (~$5 billion) is less than Apple's quarterly profit (~$9 billion). Yahoo can't waste time and money on lost projects. Apple can. That's why I think this was Apple strong-arming Yahoo which is bad for the developer community or worse just stealing it knowing that Yahoo can't waste money fighting for a weather app.And yet there's nothing that seems to indicate that.

pdutta2000
Jun 23, 2013, 10:05 AM
And yet there's nothing that seems to indicate that.

And yet there's nothing to indicate that they didn't. We'll just agree to disagree.

C DM
Jun 23, 2013, 10:14 AM
And yet there's nothing to indicate that they didn't. We'll just agree to disagree.When it comes to not knowing something there are still things that are more likely to be a stretch than others (sometimes going into the realm of essentially being conspiracy theories). That said, yes, we can agree to disagree.

imaginex20
Jul 2, 2013, 07:58 PM
More proof yahoo had their hands in the Apple Weather app design, the latest Yahoo Weather app update has reverted back to the old icon image and very much resembling Apple's icon

pdutta2000
Jul 2, 2013, 08:10 PM
More proof yahoo had their hands in the Apple Weather app design, the latest Yahoo Weather app update has reverted back to the old icon image and very much resembling Apple's icon

This makes no sense. How would Yahoo get their hands on Apple's unreleased weather app? And why would Apple then approve and release it months before the first Beta of iOS 7? Yahoo submitted their app to the Apple App Store and got it released in April. Apple released iOS 7 in June. I admit my theory might be bordering on conspiracy but this is beyond ridiculous.

imaginex20
Jul 2, 2013, 08:38 PM
This makes no sense. How would Yahoo get their hands on Apple's unreleased weather app? And why would Apple then approve and release it months before the first Beta of iOS 7? Yahoo submitted their app to the Apple App Store and got it released in April. Apple released iOS 7 in June. I admit my theory might be bordering on
conspiracy but this is beyond ridiculous.

You have reading comprehensions? I stated yahoo had their hands in Apple's weather app design. Meaning they helped Apple design the app aka Collaborated. If you look at the iOS app, the weather information is no longer provided by Yahoo, it is provided by weather channel aka weather.com whereas yahoo'a information is coming from wunderground.com. If this app is totally designed by Apple and information is no longer provided by Yahoo why have the yahoo icon?

pdutta2000
Jul 2, 2013, 08:48 PM
You have reading comprehensions? I stated yahoo had their hands in Apple's weather app design. Meaning they helped Apple design the app aka Collaborated. If you look at the iOS app, the weather information is no longer provided by Yahoo, it is provided by weather channel aka weather.com whereas yahoo'a information is coming from wunderground.com. If this app is totally designed by Apple and information is no longer provided by Yahoo why have the yahoo icon?

If yahoo helped design it why would Apple allow Yahoo to release an app with better functionality before the iOS 7 release? Again it makes no sense. The Yahoo app does more and looks better than the iOS 7 app.

The change in weather data providers only further proves my point. If Yahoo collaborated with Apple why change providers? You only change providers when the partnership isn't working. Your theory is that Yahoo helped Apple design the new weather app and in return they get removed as the provider of weather data and allow Apple to claim the design as their own?

imaginex20
Jul 2, 2013, 08:53 PM
If yahoo helped design it why would Apple allow Yahoo to release an app with better functionality before the iOS 7 release? Again it makes no sense. The Yahoo app does more and looks better than the iOS 7 app.

The change in weather data providers only further proves my point. If Yahoo collaborated with Apple why change providers? You only change providers when the partnership isn't working. Your theory is that Yahoo helped Apple design the new weather app and in return they get removed as the provider of weather data and allow Apple to claim the design as their own?

If they changed providers why would Yahoo still be displayed? English must not be your native language...also the yahoo app was released way before iOS 7 was released and at the time the weather app design was not final and Ives could have decided to have yahoo develop their (Apple's) app. Idiot

----------

Also go to Wunderground.com, all the additional information is provided by Wunderground not Yahoo FYI - leading to Apple not making a deal with wunderground and made a deal with weather channel. Politics my friend

pdutta2000
Jul 2, 2013, 09:11 PM
If they changed providers why would Yahoo still be displayed? English must not be your native language...also the yahoo app was released way before iOS 7 was released and at the time the weather app design was not final and Ives could have decided to have yahoo develop their (Apple's) app. Idiot

----------

Also go to Wunderground.com, all the additional information is provided by Wunderground not Yahoo FYI - leading to Apple not making a deal with wunderground and made a deal with weather channel. Politics my friend

Listen. You can make all the insults you want. It only makes you look bad.

As for the weather app, I'm not going to lose any sleep over any of this. Just seems odd that the Apple and Yahoo apps look almost identical and I can't figure out what Yahoo is getting out of it. It's not like Yahoo is in the weather business like Google was in the Maps business. Hell, there are plenty of weather data providers so its not like this was a big money play for Yahoo. There's just no good reason for Yahoo to give away their design to Apple.

socco
Jul 2, 2013, 11:25 PM
We have eyes, so yes we do. Yahoo made a sweet weather app, Apple saw how successful it was, so they used it as inspiration when remaking their own weather app.

flux73
Jul 3, 2013, 12:06 AM
Seems pretty obvious there's *some* kind of connection there. The apps look too similar for it to be a coincidence. And given Yahoo and Apple's close relationship in the last year since Mayer took over, this shouldn't be all that surprising.

Mayer has decided that the best way to turn around Yahoo is to partner up with someone dominant in mobile. That would be either Google or Apple. And since Google is pretty much a direct competitor, they went with Apple.

It makes sense for Apple, because while they're good at hardware and OS's, their apps are more hit and miss. Plus, they don't have content.

Yahoo, on the other hand has lots of experienced app designers and programmers. And they have content.

Voila, match made in heaven.

C DM
Jul 8, 2013, 12:12 PM
We have eyes, so yes we do. Yahoo made a sweet weather app, Apple saw how successful it was, so they used it as inspiration when remaking their own weather app.And how does having eyes provide any proof to that particular scenario? Sure, that's certainly one of the possibilities, and perhaps even the more likely one, but does anyone have any actual proof that would prove that to be the actual case, and not just one of the possibilities (even a likely one)? And there you have it.

socco
Jul 11, 2013, 10:39 PM
and perhaps even the more likely one

And there you have it.

C DM
Jul 11, 2013, 10:46 PM
And there you have it.And that still doesn't mean that's actually the case.

imaginex20
Jul 11, 2013, 10:53 PM
No one can explain this - Apple's new weather app is powered by Yahoo and weather is provided by Weather Channel. Yahoo's weather app data is provided by Wunderground.com. So, if Yahoo isn't providing weather data, then why is Apple's app powered by Yahoo? Ahem Yahoo's design.

C DM
Jul 11, 2013, 11:08 PM
No one can explain this - Apple's new weather app is powered by Yahoo and weather is provided by Weather Channel. Yahoo's weather app data is provided by Wunderground.com. So, if Yahoo isn't providing weather data, then why is Apple's app powered by Yahoo? Ahem Yahoo's design.Yahoo!'s weather data comes from The Weather Channel in one way or another. The Weather Channel owns Weather Underground.

imaginex20
Jul 11, 2013, 11:14 PM
Yahoo!'s weather data comes from The Weather Channel in one way or another. The Weather Channel owns Weather Underground.

Ok so if weather is provided by weather channel why powered by Yahoo then?

C DM
Jul 11, 2013, 11:20 PM
Ok so if weather is provided by weather channel why powered by Yahoo then?Because it comes from Yahoo!'s data feeds (which in turn originally get the data from The Weather Channel).

Rogifan
Jul 12, 2013, 02:08 AM
My guess is Apple collaborated with Yahoo. Ive is friends with Marissa Mayer. No way would he just blatently rip off Yahoo's design. I haven't seen the iOS 7 weather app. What makes Yahoo's app better? More information? Better design?

socco
Jul 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
And that still doesn't mean that's actually the case.

It is the case. There's very little doubt about that. You think they randomly came up with an almost identical design?

C DM
Jul 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
It is the case. There's very little doubt about that. You think they randomly came up with an almost identical design?Just because it might not have been random, doesn't mean that it was just copied and there wasn't something else involved in all of that. Absolutely no actual proof of anything one way or another to make anything of "very little doubt" except perhaps that there's very little doubt that at best at least some people are just guessing and trying to imply that the guesses are anything more than guesses.

robjulo
Jul 12, 2013, 02:36 PM
Yahoo is garbage. Tying yourself to yahoo and bing is a disaster waiting to happen.

socco
Jul 14, 2013, 09:14 PM
Just because it might not have been random, doesn't mean that it was just copied and there wasn't something else involved in all of that. Absolutely no actual proof of anything one way or another to make anything of "very little doubt" except perhaps that there's very little doubt that at best at least some people are just guessing and trying to imply that the guesses are anything more than guesses.

Yahoo makes an award winning app, Apple changes their app to look almost identical. And you're saying they weren't inspired by it at all, and just randomly ended up with almost the exact same thing?

C DM
Jul 14, 2013, 10:50 PM
Yahoo makes an award winning app, Apple changes their app to look almost identical. And you're saying they weren't inspired by it at all, and just randomly ended up with almost the exact same thing?Back to this again? Just replied to that earlier. Seems like we are just going in circles here. Again, given Apple's and Yahoo!'s relationship it could very easily be based on a collaboration of some sort. Without any actual evidence of it being one way or another there's really no way to draw a real meaningful conclusion only a supposition at best.

Sirious
Jul 15, 2013, 05:02 AM
do you think Yahoo got an early view of the new UI, thin fonts, etc?

Well, OpenTable did get a peak at the larger display of the iPhone 5, remember? They showed off a better designed app for the 4-inch display on the day the iPhone 5 was announced.
I'm sure Apple gives and gets ideas from everywhere.

socco
Jul 15, 2013, 10:05 PM
Back to this again? Just replied to that earlier. Seems like we are just going in circles here. Again, given Apple's and Yahoo!'s relationship it could very easily be based on a collaboration of some sort. Without any actual evidence of it being one way or another there's really no way to draw a real meaningful conclusion only a supposition at best.

Were we even on a different subject? Apple's weather app was inspired by Yahoo's weather app. There is no doubt about this.

C DM
Jul 15, 2013, 10:27 PM
Were we even on a different subject? Apple's weather app was inspired by Yahoo's weather app. There is no doubt about this.By the way this was all started when I was replying to someone else who said there was just blatant copying and ripping-off happened, not about inspiration. Could they have been inspired? Perhaps. Could Apple have actually worked with Yahoo! in some capacity earlier on to "standardize" on a design for the apps? Also perhaps. Do we know if it's one or the other, or something possibly different? Nope.

socco
Jul 15, 2013, 11:54 PM
By the way this was all started when I was replying to someone else who said there was just blatant copying and ripping-off happened, not about inspiration. Could they have been inspired? Perhaps. Could Apple have actually worked with Yahoo! in some capacity earlier on to "standardize" on a design for the apps? Also perhaps. Do we know if it's one or the other, or something possibly different? Nope.

Whether it was Apple or Yahoo employees, the design of the Apple app was based on the Yahoo app. That was my only point.

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 12:00 AM
Whether it was Apple or Yahoo employees, the design of the Apple app was based on the Yahoo app. That was my only point.Considering how long iOS 7 has been in development, why couldn't it be the other way where Apple had some influence on Yahoo!'s app or where it was a collaborative design of some sorts? Just because Yahoo!'s app was released in the App Store before iOS 7 was publicly previewed doesn't necessarily mean the Weather app in iOS 7 didn't have the design it has long ago even before Yahoo!'s app was released, or around the same time. Again, no way to say this did or didn't happen, just like there's really no way to say that the opposite happened. All are theories and each one carries some probability.

imaginex20
Jul 16, 2013, 12:12 AM
Considering how long iOS 7 has been in development, why couldn't it be the other way where Apple had some influence on Yahoo!'s app or where it was a collaborative design of some sorts? Just because Yahoo!'s app was released in the App Store before iOS 7 was publicly previewed doesn't necessarily mean the Weather app in iOS 7 didn't have the design it has long ago even before Yahoo!'s app was released, or around the same time. Again, no way to say this did or didn't happen, just like there's really no way to say that the opposite happened. All are theories and each one carries some probability.

yet you contradict each theory that is out there. Plain and simple Yahoo released theirs first, so it's their design. If it was Apple's influenced design then why give Yahoo the credit for one of the best designed apps?

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 12:32 AM
yet you contradict each theory that is out there. Plain and simple Yahoo released theirs first, so it's their design. If it was Apple's influenced design then why give Yahoo the credit for one of the best designed apps?Because it's their app even if Apple was involved in the design in some way. And even if Apple wasn't that still doesn't mean it was then inspired by it, let alone stole it somehow, instead of perhaps Yahoo! essentially providing the general design elements themselves since the iOS Weather app is powered by Yahoo! (certainly from the data/information side of things, but can well be beyond that to some degree). Again, aside from someone with some actual factual information coming out with the "answer" it's all just theories and while some might be somewhat more or less likely there's nothing really out there to factually make one clearly stand out over the others.

imaginex20
Jul 16, 2013, 12:49 AM
Because it's their app even if Apple was involved in the design in some way. And even if Apple wasn't that still doesn't mean it was then inspired by it, let alone stole it somehow, instead of perhaps Yahoo! essentially providing the general design elements themselves since the iOS Weather app is powered by Yahoo! (certainly from the data/information side of things, but can well be beyond that to some degree). Again, aside from someone with some actual factual information coming out with the "answer" it's all just theories and while some might be somewhat more or less likely there's nothing really out there to factually make one clearly stand out over the others.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: SMH

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 01:04 AM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: SMHSMH indeed.