PDA

View Full Version : Are they even serious with these icons?

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 02:47 PM
But then I used a dark wallpaper, and the world didn't end!

Looks pretty good to me.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 12, 2013, 02:48 PM
The default icons still look like crap. Although the darker wallpaper makes it slightly more bearable.

BvizioN
Jun 12, 2013, 02:49 PM
Here we go, another one..... :D

kerrikins
Jun 12, 2013, 02:54 PM
How do all of you live with that silly badge on your mail icon! Would drive me nuts to just have 1 unread, let alone over a thousand :P

The wallpaper really changes the whole feel. I wish the Messages App had some more customisation, though, it really is quite bright and stark.

falconeight
Jun 12, 2013, 03:00 PM
seriously how many of these threads do we need?

doug in albq
Jun 12, 2013, 03:10 PM

I am not sure, but I have the feeling you are going to respond to all of them.

The icons do look a bit less Neon-Unicorn with a darker wallpaper.

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2013, 03:11 PM
Great, just what we need, ANOTHER thread on the app icons. :rolleyes:

Ottoman1
Jun 12, 2013, 03:17 PM
Didn't the original iPhone have an all black background too? Seems like a winning solution.

I hated having all of those wallpaper choices any way.

How well does the 3D effect work on a solid black background btw?

DotCom2
Jun 12, 2013, 03:17 PM
Well Tim Cook did say that Pixar was involved hence the "Toy Story" look?:p

Holty123
Jun 12, 2013, 03:22 PM
app app app

F123D
Jun 12, 2013, 03:25 PM
Okay. Now lets work on fixing that ugly dock down below.

angemon89
Jun 12, 2013, 03:39 PM
I see you cleverly hid the music app aka eyesore.

falconeight
Jun 12, 2013, 04:06 PM
I am not sure, but I have the feeling you are going to respond to all of them.

The icons do look a bit less Neon-Unicorn with a darker wallpaper.

As are you.

yalag
Jun 12, 2013, 04:24 PM
Ok seriously I can't be the only one who find these icons ridiculous. It's like they were done with MS Paint by an intern. Is this for real? I mean look at the notes and reminders icons, they aren't up to Apple's standard at all. I don't care that it's not skeuromophism. It's just plain unattractive.

http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/iOS-6-vs-iOS-7-icons.png

And what is up with game center? Balls?? How does that even make sense.

The photo icon does not in anyway represent photos. It can be a social network if anyone had to guess.

I refuse to believe these icons were designed by Apple designers. Did they have the programmers design these?

inselstudent
Jun 12, 2013, 04:37 PM
I admit that I was expecting something quite different. And with that direct comparison I feel they put a lot more effort into the previous icons.

Anyway, I'm ok with the UI for now. The added functionality makes up for the "childish" design.

fivedots
Jun 12, 2013, 04:37 PM
Are you even serious with another thread about this?!

tymaster50
Jun 12, 2013, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing that you aren't very smart, otherwise you would have seen the numerous other threads of the same page and notice that you have been recycling the same things they said. For someone that's been here since 2007 you should know.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 04:40 PM
..And what is up with game center? Balls?? How does that even make sense.

It makes complete sense. The icon mimics the Apps' interface which is not games but interacting with people.

rmeadejr
Ok seriously I can't be the only one who find these icons ridiculous. It's like they were done with MS Paint by an intern. Is this for real? I mean look at the notes and reminders icons, they aren't up to Apple's standard at all. I don't care that it's not skeuromophism. It's just plain unattractive.

Image (http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/iOS-6-vs-iOS-7-icons.png)

The photo icon does not in anyway represent photos. It can be a social network if anyone had to guess.

I refuse to believe these icons were designed by Apple designers. Did they have the programmers design these?

the icons are "a work in progress".

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

watchthisspace
Only Safari, Game Centre and photos are dramatically different. Nothing to worry about.

yalag
Jun 12, 2013, 04:41 PM
It makes complete sense. The icon mimics the Apps' interface which is not games but interacting with people.

But balls aren't even people?

londondude
Jun 12, 2013, 04:42 PM
I actually like them more than the old ones. They are all coherent in style and colour.

Andeavor
Jun 12, 2013, 04:46 PM
the icons are "a work in progress".

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

That marketing team is color blind.

thefredelement
Jun 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
They suck to look at. The old ones look much nicer to me, but check the home page. Apple said they took their design cue from their outside marketing people , or are spinning it that, either way, who cares really because they also said it's a work in progress and will change.

So that took like two days since it was released.... neat.

L-Tuned
Jun 12, 2013, 04:54 PM
Can't believe you didn't mention the new safari icon... :eek:

jgag
Jun 12, 2013, 04:55 PM
You've got mail.

falconeight
Jun 12, 2013, 04:56 PM
great another icon thread

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 05:02 PM
But balls aren't even people?

Look at the screen shots of the app's interface. The balls represent groups of things like messages, turns, etc. If I don't play a chess, baseball, rocket or dart game, how does the current icon make sense? To me it looks like a 4-in-1 game app rather than a way to track social interations.

imjoee
Jun 12, 2013, 05:02 PM

hi, i have a quick question, how do you automatically set the devices you have

"macbook retina, iphone 5... etc"

how do you add those in, or do you manually put those in?

thanks

Rogifan
Jun 12, 2013, 05:03 PM

Do people not look for existing threads before starting new ones. :rolleyes:

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 05:09 PM
hi, i have a quick question, how do you automatically set the devices you have

Click on your user name > User CP > Edit siganture.

yanksrock100
Jun 12, 2013, 05:18 PM
To be honest, I like most of the new icons. The old ones are just stale, the same since iOS 1....the new ones are a breath of fresh air! I love the new UI Apple went with

imjoee
Jun 12, 2013, 05:19 PM
Click on your user name > User CP > Edit siganture.

thank you

wolfboy
Jun 12, 2013, 05:21 PM
Ha, I didn't realize the Photos icon is an abstract flower until I saw it side by side with the old one.

shinji
Jun 12, 2013, 05:25 PM
It's a flat, modern look. The old icons are from when the smartphone touch interface was new and the subtle bevels were meant to imply they were buttons of some sort. Now everyone gets how to use the interface, and it was time to move on.

That being said... Game Center really does make no sense in the context of what the app is. Photos isn't terribly clear, either.

Paddle1
Jun 12, 2013, 05:27 PM
Why does Safari look like a Compass? They need to put the world back into the web browser.

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 05:31 PM
Write to Jony Ive, and tell him you can do better - attach artwork PNGs... and wait...

or...

You could do something more worthwhile than complaining en masse about an iOS 7 which is just out of development Beta 1 stage, or you could just throw a tantrum... it's easier, hey! :p

But until then? Boo hoo

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QiHaQZKXE9g/UF14-eA4SWI/AAAAAAAACuU/VHZDNgSw3LI/s640/jill-greenberg-crying-photoshopped-babies-end-times-17.jpg

----------

Do people not look for existing threads before starting new ones. :rolleyes:

They know they're on here, they just want "EVERYONE TO LOOK AT ME AND MY PERSONAL OPINION, BECAUSE I RULE THE WORLD!!"

baller1308
Jun 12, 2013, 05:36 PM
Some icons are good but I think most of them need some work.

Why does Safari look like a Compass? They need to put the world back into the web browser.

It looks like a compass because that is what it is on OS X.

KBS756
Jun 12, 2013, 05:37 PM

Image (http://media.idownloadblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/iOS-6-vs-iOS-7-icons.png)

Cant believe I'm doing this but gonna go through Icon by Icon I guess

Phone Icon is fine and an improvement
Reminders Icon eh I don't like either but definitely needs work
Passbook Think they need something in between both to be ideal
Newsstand Both Icons are bad according to me hope they find a middle ground thats better
Mail Like the flatness, but needs a be a bit more middle ground again
Music I like the new one
Photos honestly don't get what this icon was supposed to be expect it to be replaced and disliking the white space
Videos Make it darker and play around with the colors and they are ok
FaceTime and Messages, both changes are fine possibly even an improvement
Safari .... this is the one travesty to me.... Scrap the new design, Kill it with fire, do whatever but completely redesign this icon
Game Center Actually like the new one better just give me something instead of white space
Maps Both are about equal no issues either way
Contacts, think there should be middle ground here went too flat
Notes Needs a middle ground once again here
Compass, have no qualms with either icon
Stocks, prefer the newer one for some reason, never use it so doesn't really matter to me anyway
Camera, Someone get me my lens back ... damn the lens is simpler then the new one and works better
App Store and iTunes Store both changes are fine by me
Weather add a little more depth but otherwise fine
Calendar too white
Calculator, ok I guess
Clock both fine

So in recap FIX SAFARI
and tweak a couple others

xcodeaddict
Jun 12, 2013, 05:39 PM

A compass allows navigation, which is precisely what a web browser does!

----------

Cant believe I'm doing this but gonna go through Icon by Icon I guess

Phone Icon is fine and an improvement
Reminders Icon eh I don't like either but definitely needs work
Passbook Think they need something in between both to be ideal
Newsstand Both Icons are bad according to me hope they find a middle ground thats better
Mail Like the flatness, but needs a be a bit more middle ground again
Music I like the new one
Photos honestly don't get what this icon was supposed to be expect it to be replaced and disliking the white space
Videos Make it darker and play around with the colors and they are ok
FaceTime and Messages, both changes are fine possibly even an improvement
Safari .... this is the one travesty to me.... Scrap the new design, Kill it with fire, do whatever but completely redesign this icon
Game Center Actually like the new one better just give me something instead of white space
Maps Both are about equal no issues either way
Contacts, think there should be middle ground here went too flat
Notes Needs a middle ground once again here
Compass, have no qualms with either icon
Stocks, prefer the newer one for some reason, never use it so doesn't really matter to me anyway
Camera, Someone get me my lens back ... damn the lens is simpler then the new one and works better
App Store and iTunes Store both changes are fine by me
Weather add a little more depth but otherwise fine
Calendar too white
Calculator, ok I guess
Clock both fine

So in recap FIX SAFARI
and tweak a couple others

Nope, nor can I, so...

TL;DR

Orlandu
Jun 12, 2013, 05:40 PM
They are absolutely not serious at all. This is just a delayed April fools joke on Apple fans and investors. They aren't really going to release iOS 7 and will stop iOS at 6.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 05:51 PM

Why? It's not Google Earth. When is the last time you said "World Wide Web"?

bertishere
Jun 12, 2013, 06:17 PM
all apple has to do is saturate the icons a bit and they will look better.. i did this quickly in photoshop. left is normal, right is saturated:

http://i.imgur.com/PAPs46U.jpg

MultiFinder17
Jun 12, 2013, 06:19 PM
Agreed, with a darker background, it really doesn't look too horrid.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 12, 2013, 06:21 PM
Here we go, another one..... :D

Great, just what we need, ANOTHER thread on the app icons. :rolleyes:

And yet, here you guys are, commenting in a thread you supposedly despise. Thanks for interjecting your opinions. I'm sure we're all better for having read them. :rolleyes:

subsonix
Jun 12, 2013, 06:23 PM

Looks pretty good to me.

True, but the reason that they do not work on light background is that they have removed shadows and texture.

It's also an odd request to expect everyone to only use dark backgrounds when this is released to the hundreds of millions of users.

Paddle1
Jun 12, 2013, 06:56 PM
Some icons are good but I think most of them need some work.

It looks like a compass because that is what it is on OS X.

A compass allows navigation, which is precisely what a web browser does!

----------

Nope, nor can I, so...

TL;DR

Why? It's not Google Earth. When is the last time you said "World Wide Web"?

It looks too much like a compass it will confuse people, and it's too abstract.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 06:57 PM
It looks too much like a compass it will confuse people, and it's too abstract.

It says Safari right under it. I think people will draw the connection.

Paddle1
Jun 12, 2013, 06:58 PM
It says Safari right under it. I think people will draw the connection.

Ok, but it could still be improved.

darngooddesign
Jun 12, 2013, 07:03 PM
Ok, but it could still be improved.

Of course it can be improved, but having the world on the icon does not inherently say web browser.

darky90
Jun 12, 2013, 07:31 PM
Wooow over 1k emails. It doesn't bother you? I agree with kerrikins. Even if it's 1, I would have to check it to make it go away. As for the new face lift... yeah.. I'm kinda meh about it but like everything, I'll get use to it.

roland.g
Jun 12, 2013, 08:16 PM
Except Safari and Settings. Those are bad. The rest are fine. Also not a huge fan of reminders.

torana355
Jun 12, 2013, 08:18 PM

Looks pretty good to me.

Look like a kids playpen to me. Yuk.

BvizioN
Jun 13, 2013, 04:17 AM
And yet, here you guys are, commenting in a thread you supposedly despise.

Correction! Not supposedly but truly! And since when do people comment only on threads they do admire? Certainly not in this forum.

iBreatheApple
Jun 13, 2013, 04:22 AM
I think they've heard and listened. Check the home page and you'll see the design is "likely to change" throughout the betas. (As if that was the plan all along... :rolleyes:)

Did some leg work for you, only because I love you.

First of all, many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple’s marketing and communications department, not the app design teams. From what we’ve heard, SVP of Design Jony Ive (also now Apple’s head of Human Interaction) brought the print and web marketing design team in to set the look and color palette of the stock app icons. They then handed those off to the app design teams who did their own work on the ‘interiors’, with those palettes as a guide.

The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

brunnernathan
Jun 13, 2013, 04:29 AM
I think that it is not surprising to see that Apple make more simpler and flatter icons. John Ive had already said in an interview that the new operating system would be more simpler.
But not only Apple has a taste for simplicity. If we take a look at the evolution of internet logos (http://www.technologeek.net/the-evolution-of-internet-related-logos/), we can clearly see that the trend is flat.
Anyway, I agree with you, these new icons rocks ;)

iBreatheApple
Jun 13, 2013, 04:55 AM
Nvm

stoneland
Jun 13, 2013, 08:01 AM
Okay. Now lets work on fixing that ugly dock down below.

Ugh, AGREE! It's not even a dock now. It's just a blurred rectangle.

Osullivan1
Jun 13, 2013, 09:34 AM

Looks pretty good to me.

I've grown to like the new icons, and though I still like most of the old ones, I don't miss them like I did when I first installed 7.

And I agree, the whole OS looks a lot more professional with a dark or just plain black wallpaper. As they said during the keynote, the whole OS is affected by your wallpaper.

PLUS: I actually like the dock, way more than the old one...

rvancil
Jun 13, 2013, 09:45 AM
You guys are some picky mofo's! After a couple hours I'm totally fine with the new icons...they're just icons for gods sakes

Ottoman1
Jun 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
deleted

EmbraceTheOne
Jun 13, 2013, 10:38 AM
I want the shininess back..

WDE87
Jun 13, 2013, 10:50 AM

Wut?

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 10:51 AM
Wut?
I think he's suggesting that it's supposed to look more like a Venn diagram than inflated balls.

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 11:02 AM
I think he's suggesting that it's supposed to look more like a Venn diagram than inflated balls.

I'm suggesting he looks at the new Gameencter interface to see why the icon looks that way. The app is not about specific games, its about interacting with games and other gamers. I never thought about it being a Venn diagram, but you're correct that it sort of is.

SpyderBite
Jun 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
We used to work out, wear tank tops and drive cool cars when I was younger.

I guess, today, it's all about how cool your smartphone's home screen looks that causes pheromones to squirt all over the junior high school walls. *shrugs*

Ottoman1
Jun 13, 2013, 01:32 PM
For me the icons are as much a part of the design of the phone as the exterior. Car makers make their dashboards attractive, even though they do not need to. I believe Apple should do this with the iPhone as well.

I look at the icons as part of the dashboard.

I hope Apple finds a new signature look for their icons and that 3rd party developers follow their design cues.

When I look at the icons I see this, (available at 123rf.com stock images):

http://us.123rf.com/450wm/venimo/venimo1304/venimo130400003/18969151-vector-touchscreen-phone-with-rainbow-wallpaper-and-app-icons.jpg

Yes they are working icons, but there is a lack of creativity and intelligence which usually comes through when looking at products and graphics created by Apple.

I know we are just going in circles with these icon threads but I see this as an "Apple family" discussion that needs to be hashed out.

I strongly believe Apple can do better and hope they do.