Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

east85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Yg5bXXf.png

Is this what I have to do to give a process a bump in priority in OS X? I did some googling and found the only real comprehensible information on a blogspot from a few years back so I just want to be sure that I'm doing this correctly. I'm sure this is a popular subject because a lot of people arrange processes in Windows by priority via task manager.

Thanks a lot. If you have any links to good tutorials feel free to share. I've bumped priorities in linux a few times, but not while the process was already launched. I launched whatever application as high priority.

(The processes above represent Chrome, associated Chrome processes and Pepper Flash)

Keep in mind the purpose of doing this is to push more attention to a specific process and therefor receive a bit better performance through increased allocation of resources. This is exactly what is done by changing priority in Windows. If there is a better way to accomplish this (apart from hardware) please feel free to mention it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.