Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philz4life

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
It's been a year since Apple released iTunes 10.6.3, the last version that supported PPC. As far as I know, iOS 6 devices will still sync with this version if they have a 30 pin connector. So Apple still has allowed a tiny window of support for PowerPC and iOS, but what about iOS7? One of our household products is the 3rd gen iPad, the last with this connector, and it is able to sync with my iMac G5. Does anyone have iOS7 on a pre-lightning device? Can you try to see if it's possible to sync it on PPC?

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I cannot sync my iPhone 4 with beta 1 with my mdd. Needs iTunes 11.

Sorry to go off topic OP - but how is the performance on the 4 with the beta? I'm contemplating popping it on mine but have heard serious performance issues across the board but haven't heard anything at all from any iPhone 4 owners.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
I cannot sync my iPhone 4 with beta 1 with my mdd. Needs iTunes 11.

What about phoneview?

----------

Sorry to go off topic OP - but how is the performance on the 4 with the beta? I'm contemplating popping it on mine but have heard serious performance issues across the board but haven't heard anything at all from any iPhone 4 owners.

Just make sure you have shsh blobs for ios 6 on your device ;) Then you can always downgrade.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
It's been a year since Apple released iTunes 10.6.3, the last version that supported PPC. As far as I know, iOS 6 devices will still sync with this version if they have a 30 pin connector. So Apple still has allowed a tiny window of support for PowerPC and iOS, but what about iOS7? One of our household products is the 3rd gen iPad, the last with this connector, and it is able to sync with my iMac G5. Does anyone have iOS7 on a pre-lightning device? Can you try to see if it's possible to sync it on PPC?

You are confusing your factual history.

Snow Leopard will not operate on your iMac G5; the latest OS X that will is Leopard 10.5.8.

Intel Macs running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 can continue to utilize Rosetta and hence run PowerPC software.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
You are confusing your factual history.

Snow Leopard will not operate on your iMac G5; the latest OS X that will is Leopard 10.5.8.

Intel Macs running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 can continue to utilize Rosetta and hence run PowerPC software.

Michael, I suggest you read his post again...

Last edited:

Dhack21

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2013
Phoenix
I'm not sure what phone view is. Also it doesn't show up in the left side to sync or anything. Just an error message saying iTunes 11 is needed comes up.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013

Yes but it keeps doing auto updates. I have to shut wifi before running the app.

----------

Hmm, I haven't heard of that before, maybe I'll try it. Does it work with syncing music to the device though?

yes, and everything else too... It can see the whole file structure of the device.

You can back up apps, photos, messages, jailbreak stuff, music, video etc in a two-way communication between the computer and ios.

And as far other syncs like contacts etc you have syncmate I think it's called.

That one will sync all kinds of stuff with ios and google cloud, etc

----------

But it's in beta right now. Which means you don't.

Yes, we're on the same page :) btw, I dunno why I keep calling it blogs instead of blobs.. lol

storkinsj

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Unfortunately I must confirm.

I was running itunes 10.6.3 on OS X 10.5.8 on my mini and still had my iphone 4s syncing to it.

I bricked my 4s because I tried to do a restore when it was jailbroken. The fix brought it up to IOS 7.

<drum roll>

I am now madly migrating my poor mini over to the new mini I luckily have up and running. I'm using migration assistant.

I am PRAYING that the backup I took on the mini will migrate over successfully to the new mini and that itunes 11 (the one with the interface I can't stand!) will restore my treo's contacts, apps and data. We had limited success with another iphone that was already syncing to the new mini when we replaced an iphone 5 with the new 5c. Some of the apps didn't come over (waze) but most everything else made it.

Keeping fingers crossed.

I can see how some people are going to get nailed by this. They'll take the update live on the phone, go to sync to their mac and.....

Find they need a new computer. And there is no way to go backward on the iPhone with the IOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.