Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
...how fast it was.

iOS 6 on an iPhone 5 is unparalleled. It's fluid, fast, and works great. I daresay NO other OS on any device can be this fluid without any lag.

The problem with iOS 7 isn't the icons (well, some of them are hideous, but that's bearable), neither the unicorn-look it exudes. I actually like the simplicity, and I would actually stay on iOS 7 (as a beta), if it weren't for one thing. And no, it's not the lag really.

It's the animation duration.

iOS 7 on an iPhone 5 feels like I'm using an iPod touch 4G on iOS 6. The animations take way too much time, like going back to the homescreen, and firing up the multitasking, swiping through all those app "cards", and going selecting an app, waiting for it to animate, and then load content....it takes nearly twice the amount of time iOS 6 does.

Does iOS 6 feel outdated? Yes, in many ways. But it's animations are fast and I don't want to take double the amount of time I take to switch apps. I still prefer the iOS 6 multitasking, even though it's widely criticized. I also never liked Android's style of multitasking. For me, it's about speed over eye candy for these kind of things. When I'm in the app, yeah sure you can animate nicely and stuff (the swipe to go back is A+, especially in Safari).

If iOS 7 doesn't speed up the animations in the next betas there will be a lot of unhappy campers in the fall asking how to downgrade to iOS 6.

Battery life is also an issue, but I'm not worried about that, as it will most likely be fixed.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
The reason you feel the lag is because you're using an old iPhone.

I don't mean that sarcastically, it's just that every time there is a major upgrade to iOS it is because it is being launched in conjunction with a brand-new piece of hardware. What you are helping prove to me is that the upcoming iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 will have the processing horsepower to handle this type of animated operating system.

BJ

xcodeaddict

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

I don't mean that sarcastically, it's just that every time there is a major upgrade to iOS it is because it is being launched in conjunction with a brand-new piece of hardware. What you are helping prove to me is that the upcoming iPhone 5S or iPhone 6 will have the processing horsepower to handle this type of animated operating system.

BJ

"Old"? hardly :D (yes, I saw your comments, but this is ridiculous).

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011

BJ

I'm not complaining about the LAG. I'm complaining about how long it takes to do stuff. Regardless of lag.

If you put two iPhone 5's side by side, compare the speed in opening an app, hitting the home button, then opening up the same app again or another app, switching to the multitasking tray and selecting another app...it's just way, way faster in iOS 6 because the animation time is not exaggerated compared to iOS 7.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
Dude, it's a FRICKING BETA! The FIRST beta for crying out loud! If most people feel this way, Apple will change things through out the entire Beta process.

Saying that this is the most un-intuitive operating system is silly. And to say is it lags is really premature.

Just hold your horses, stick with iOS6 while the beta process continues with iOS7.

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The animations are very cool. For about 30 minutes. And then you realize that how much they slow navigation. It has nothing to do with lag.

I believe there is an option in settings to tone down the animations. I reverted back before I was aware of the option.

msuman

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2012
It. Is. The. Beta. 1 at that.

And it's a complete overhaul of the operating system. It is GOING to be laggy.

By the GM, this OS will undoubtedly be as smooth as iOS 6.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I'm not complaining about the LAG. I'm complaining about how long it takes to do stuff. Regardless of lag.

If you put two iPhone 5's side by side, compare the speed in opening an app, hitting the home button, then opening up the same app again or another app, switching to the multitasking tray and selecting another app...it's just way, way faster in iOS 6 because the animation time is not exaggerated compared to iOS 7.

I hate the new operating system.

It's the first iOS release that actually has me unexcited and uninterested to upgrade. The functionality I was looking for was again overlooked. I need Profiles so that I don't have to tap buttons like Bluetooth on and off, Wi-Fi on off, lower brightness, mute calls, etc every night. I should have a personal "day" and "night" modes, one button, done.

Instead I'm getting eye candy on a phone that now looks like one a 14-year-old girl would be happy to have modded as a jailbreak. Speaking of jailbreak, I have never even thought of doing that but now will be the first one once something is released to get me out of this iOS 7 hell.

BJ

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
It's the initial beta. Smoothness will improve over time, just relax. Jonny has this

Johnny Ive has had nothing but my undying respect and admiration since 2001. But not anymore.

BJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Dude, it's a FRICKING BETA! The FIRST beta for crying out loud! If most people feel this way, Apple will change things through out the entire Beta process.

Saying that this is the most un-intuitive operating system is silly.

Where did I even say this???

So what if it's a beta? Apple iOS 6 Beta 1 had fast animations. There's no excuse to slow down the speed of the iOS just to make sure everyone goes wow at the animations for the first hour and then gets urges to downgrade because it takes like 10 seconds just to switch an app.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Where did I even say this???

So what if it's a beta? Apple iOS 6 Beta 1 had fast animations. There's no excuse to slow down the speed of the iOS just to make sure everyone goes wow at the animations for the first hour and then gets urges to downgrade because it takes like 10 seconds just to switch an app.

So your logic is that because iOS 6 beta 1 had fast animations, the fastest they'll ever be in iOS 7 is how they are now?

Lol.

engelke2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Personally, I am very happy with how easy it is to turn WiFi on and off. I'm even happy with Cellular being on the first screen of Settings and not buried inside. However, I might revert back to 6.1.4 after showing this iOS to someone at work. I'll definitely be updating ASAP when it is officially released and might not even jailbreak with how easy it is to turn WiFi on and off and also close apps.

eaglesteve

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2009
Just on animation, I much prefer it the iOS6 way. I find the effect quite annoying in addition to appearing to be laggy.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Johnny Ive has had nothing but my undying respect and admiration since 2001. But not anymore.

BJ

Just wondering if you've had a chance to use it at all? I've noticed a lot of people have been much happier with the OS once they've had a chance to choose their own wallpapers/lock screens, etc. It really does change the feel.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
There is no doubt they will speed up the animations. They did this a few times with the betas over theast few years.

The lag is to be expected, it's a beta, debugging mode is enabled, pair that with bugs and it's called lag. It's a beta

1BadMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010

BJ

This was actually funny and true. Apple needs to offer some "skins" or something that will allow the device to look slightly more professional for those users that really want it.

That said boltjames - I have seen some really sharp looking pics posted where someone put a retina optimized "black" background that looked pretty sharp against the white contrast. Looks more Android-ish, sure. But looks very polished and much better than the floating purple bubbles I'm using by default.

Kenny Bond

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
I am thrilled with the the OS
There are issues but that's what we are hear to do, give feedback
I trusted maps today to get me home and it was flawless ( I did have a 4 with navigon as a back up).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.