PDA

View Full Version : Fix for battery drain

happypappy
Jun 12, 2013, 10:40 PM
I too had the major battery drain after installing ios 7 beta 1. It was the worst drain I've ever noticed with all iPhones and all ios versions.

I was in a rush and set up ios 7 using a backup. That was the big mistake. Especially with major software updates, it's best to update and start from a fresh copy of the OS and set up phone as new a device.

Today I restored to factory and installed ios 7 fresh. Then instead of using any backups, I "set up phone as new". Then go into iTunes and manually add your contacts, music, apps, etc. it may take a little longer but it's well worth the time.

After you are finished setting up your phone the way you want it, then go ahead and take a backup of everything.(iCloud and iTunes)

I went the entire day with the same battery life I had on ios 6.

Let's hear your results!

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 10:49 PM
I have just redone the upgrade using the Update method, The phone was set up as a new phone. I then restored the phone settings and data using backups.

That did not solve the battery problem. With the device completely switched off but playing music, I could get just 4 hours of usage. With the older iOS I could get close to 40 hours. That means iOS7's battery usage for music playback is 10 times faster.

I'm now going ahead to try out your suggestion, which is to NOT restore the settings and data from the backup, and see how it goes. I have a 64GB iPhone 5 BTW.

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 10:51 PM
I'm curious to see what others say about this, and if their experience is similar.

I don't want to lose all of my apps and settings and everything... A bit of a pain to set up. Then there's app data and all that.

What about setting up as new, then restoring an iCloud backup? I wonder how that world differ. When I did mine, I backed up to my laptop and then restored it after installing iOS 7.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 10:54 PM
I started off by restoring in the first place. Battery is still slightly under what I got in iOS 6.

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 10:55 PM
I don't want to lose all of my apps and settings and everything... A bit of a pain to set up. Then there's app data and all that.

What about setting up as new, then restoring an iCloud backup? I wonder how that world differ. When I did mine, I backed up to my laptop and then restored it after installing iOS 7.

I can always go back to restore from a backup later on if it does not make any difference anyway, so I think we should try out not restoring from a backup and see the effect on battery life.

tmanto02
Jun 12, 2013, 10:56 PM
Could it be the same situation as when ios6 came out? upgrade rather than setup as new phone often resulted in poor battery life.

To solve it you had to reset network settings.

I reset all settings just to be safe when I upgraded to ios7 and haven't noticed reduced battery life at all.

Hope this helps! :)

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 11:00 PM
Could it be the same situation as when ios6 came out? upgrade rather than setup as new phone often resulted in poor battery life.

I reset all settings just to be safe when I upgraded to ios7 and haven't noticed reduced battery life at all.

I'm doing a full phone reset now. This time I will not restore from a backup but will instead manually re-pick the application and music I want to bring across, and see what happen.

DDustiNN
Jun 12, 2013, 11:01 PM
I can always go back to restore from a backup later on if it does not make any difference anyway, so I think we should try out not restoring from a backup and see the effect on battery life.

Hmm very good point... Might try that tomorrow then.

macachia
Jun 12, 2013, 11:41 PM
wouldn't a person loose all his app settings, games progress and more though?

JoEw
Jun 12, 2013, 11:46 PM
I am sure the refinements of the beta will result in better battery life.

eaglesteve
Jun 12, 2013, 11:51 PM
Another person posted that after he upgraded with the Update method, he had atrocious battery life. To fix that he went to the phone's setting and reset setting only. This did not affect the data he already had on the phone. This alone fixed the battery life problem.

I'm going to try that now.

macachia
Jun 13, 2013, 12:07 AM
let us know how it goes, cheers

sexiewasd
Jun 13, 2013, 12:15 AM
I'm a little bit confused with the battery life reports. I'm running it on a fifth gen iPod touch, clean install. I'm getting (guessing) a third more battery life on iOS 7, than I was on 6. It's been a noticeable improvement for me.

eaglesteve
Jun 13, 2013, 12:18 AM
I'm a little bit confused with the battery life reports. I'm running it on a fifth gen iPod touch, clean install. I'm getting (guessing) a third more battery life on iOS 7, than I was on 6. It's been a noticeable improvement for me.

Can you provide a screen capture of your usage please? I'm getting about 1/10 of what I used to get in music playback, and about 1/2 to 1/4 of what I normally get for other usage.

sexiewasd
Jun 13, 2013, 12:22 AM
I'm petty sure that I can't do that.

dictoresno
Jun 13, 2013, 12:25 AM
Another person posted that after he upgraded with the Update method, he had atrocious battery life. To fix that he went to the phone's setting and reset setting only. This did not affect the data he already had on the phone. This alone fixed the battery life problem.

I'm going to try that now.

i just did this as well, so we will see what happens. next thing i will try will be a full restore, then set up as new.

right now im at 55% with 3h 58min usage, 9h 38min standby. this is where i would usually be at 70% on ios6.

happypappy
Jun 13, 2013, 02:08 PM
How did it turn out?

NickyLanzz
Jun 13, 2013, 02:12 PM
When you restore your phone, does it go back to IOs 6.1.4 or stay on 7? This goes for UDID activation method and dev i'm curious if either one is different

BvizioN
Jun 13, 2013, 02:20 PM

I have used that method just from an hour ago.
Still early to say if it have effected the battery life but one thing I have noticed is that since the upgrade to iOS 7 the phone have been really hot but after doing that trick it seem to be just as normal as before.

kmj2318
Jun 13, 2013, 02:37 PM
Uh oh, i just tried doing a clean install, and I get the message that my device is not registered as part of the developer program :(

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 02:44 PM
Uh oh, i just tried doing a clean install, and I get the message that my device is not registered as part of the developer program :(Did you do it via the Restore or Upgrade option?

marddin
Jun 13, 2013, 02:47 PM
I turned off background app refresh and automatic updates for apps and my battery life increased double. That's whats draining everyone's battery

Bacong
Jun 13, 2013, 02:55 PM
my battery life is worse, but not that much.

----------

i just did this as well, so we will see what happens. next thing i will try will be a full restore, then set up as new.

right now im at 55% with 3h 58min usage, 9h 38min standby. this is where i would usually be at 70% on ios6.

haha, no. Unless that's a lot of music.

jutte64
Jun 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
Day one of iOS 7, terrible battery life, however, I did do a lot more playing and looking around then normal. After all it was all new!

Day two, purposely did not mess with it nearly as much, battery life still better but not great. later in the day I did a "Reset all Settings".

Day three, unplugged the phone at 7:00am and as of 3:30pm I was only down to 48%. Which was about what I was normally at with iOS 6. I did show it off to a few people at work and some normal facebooking, twitter, and texting. Pretty much just a normal day on the iPhone.

So as a suggestion before you go loosing all your app data and everything, try just doing a "reset all setting", and see what happens.

Just my 2 cents...

eclipseblur954
Jun 13, 2013, 03:22 PM
I did a restore, but did a backup from my iCloud backup.

Had terrible battery life at first, but the culprits weren't from the iCloud backup.

Disable automatic background updates, automatic background app refreshes, and disable the GPS for passbook (for some reason it kept the gps running the entire time for passbook, which was destroying my battery).

Also be sure to close out of apps running in the background, they tend to be a cpu hog right now.

jutte64
Jun 13, 2013, 03:28 PM
I did a restore, but did a backup from my iCloud backup.

Had terrible battery life at first, but the culprits weren't from the iCloud backup.

Disable automatic background updates, automatic background app refreshes, and disable the GPS for passbook (for some reason it kept the gps running the entire time for passbook, which was destroying my battery).

That's why I suggest resetting your setting, I had an app that was keeping GPS on as well, but not any more. Could be a quicker fix.

JoEw
Jun 13, 2013, 03:31 PM
My friend has IOS7 and his 5 has great battery life, my 5 has awful battery life with IOS7 lol we are talking 80% drain in less than 2 hours. I might try reseting all settings or something. Kinda annoying no one seems to have been able to to find a reason.

eclipseblur954
Jun 13, 2013, 03:33 PM
My friend has IOS7 and his 5 has great battery life, my 5 has awful battery life with IOS7 lol we are talking 80% drain in less than 2 hours. I might try reseting all settings or something. Kinda annoying no one seems to have been able to to find a reason.

Try These?

Also be sure to close out of apps running in the background, they tend to be a cpu hog right now.

Patriot24
Jun 13, 2013, 03:34 PM
I don't think this can really be called a "fix". The reality is that the majority of people coming to iOS 7, either by way of upgrade or new device, are going to restore from an iCloud backup.

I have confidence that they will iron this out over the course of the beta period, so don't get me wrong.

schizbomb
Jun 13, 2013, 03:41 PM
I fixed my battery overheat and drain issue but letting it die, plugging it in until it came on (showing 27%) let it drain again, plugged again until it came on (this time showing 9%), let it drain, plugged it in again until it turned on (this time showing 7%) and then one last cycle when it showed the normal 5%.

Been fine all day since. Same battery life as iOS 6.

jutte64
Jun 13, 2013, 03:45 PM
Plus its just Beta 1, if these things don't work just be paitent, it will get better, they have 3+ months to figure it out.

DDustiNN
Jun 13, 2013, 04:00 PM
For those of you that did "reset all settings", what did you do after that? Do you have Location Services on or off now?

I did a settings reset, and location was off (not sure if it was because I turned it off before that or not). I turned that on, then set up all of my notifications again (annoying), ring tone, all that stuff. My phone is no longer running hot anymore and battery seems to be stable.

So what do you have for location? Before my reset, that seemed to be the only option that calmed things down for me. But I'd prefer to leave it on (as I always have in the past) so I can actually use stuff like Maps, Weather, etc.

jutte64
Jun 14, 2013, 07:52 AM
For those of you that did "reset all settings", what did you do after that? Do you have Location Services on or off now?

I did a settings reset, and location was off (not sure if it was because I turned it off before that or not). I turned that on, then set up all of my notifications again (annoying), ring tone, all that stuff. My phone is no longer running hot anymore and battery seems to be stable.

So what do you have for location? Before my reset, that seemed to be the only option that calmed things down for me. But I'd prefer to leave it on (as I always have in the past) so I can actually use stuff like Maps, Weather, etc.

I have my location services on and the battery seems pretty good. I do keep my phone in airplane mode most the day at work, with just wifi on so I can still use it. I did notice this morning that I opened the camera from the lock screen, and the GPS kept running. After looking I saw that it was the camera. Power cycled the phone and it took care of that.

Someone already post on here too about the camera thing, it has been reported to Apple.

luckydcxx
Jun 14, 2013, 09:08 AM
Hello everyone, I've been following this forum for quite some time and decided to finally join yesterday. This is my first post.

My battery life was horrible since upgrading to iOS 7.0, I was getting about 3-4 hours per full charge. Today I decided to try what some of you have suggested. I reset my network settings and turned my dynamic wallpaper off.

I took my phone of the charger at about 7:30 am and was streaming iTunes Radio at the gym for about an hour. I have also been doing some light Internet browsing and my battery life is significantly better. I am at 88% as of now when yesterday I would probably be close to 60%.

rtomyj
Jun 14, 2013, 09:16 AM
This will 100% fix your battery drain issue.
1) uninstall iOS7 by reverting back to 6.
2) Delete iOS 7 from anywhere accessible.
3) wait for the public release in the fall
4 Install public seed AKA GM

It's a Beta which equates to unfinished...

SprSynJn
Jun 14, 2013, 09:26 AM
What exactly does resetting the network settings do?

noobinator
Jun 14, 2013, 09:34 AM
I restored from iCloud backup and am getting decent battery life. The biggest help for me was turning off "background app refresh".

DeezWun
Jun 14, 2013, 10:07 AM
Been non stop using the phone since 8am, it's 11am now and I'm at 53%. Auto downloads, background refresh off and also in advance location settings I turned off "frequently locations" or whatever it was that constantly keeps the gsp checking for suggested locations. Battery life the same my only real problem and one I can't deal with is not being able to sync my music into the phone, a real bummer.

stisdal
Jun 14, 2013, 11:07 AM

Where / how did you disable GPS for Passbook? I do not see a switch for this one anywhere...

Johnmufc
Jun 14, 2013, 11:50 AM
I've stopped using the dynamic background and noticed a significant improvement in battery life!

aDRock1154
Jun 14, 2013, 11:52 AM
Where / how did you disable GPS for Passbook? I do not see a switch for this one anywhere...

May be referring to "Location Settings". I disabled Passbook in Location Settings and have noticed improved battery life.

Zyoung172
Jun 23, 2013, 05:10 PM
Also keep in mind if you have airdrop and blue tooth on (apple seems to have made these come on by default) it is a huge battery drain. While these features are on I have experianced a decline of an extra 10% an hour, with them off it is only about 5% an hour. Also I messed up restoring my iPhone so it was by default set up as a new iPhone, and I have noticed the battery life gets better the more you use iOS 7 (I'm on an iPhone 5 with 16gb). I will say I'm very excited to get iOS 7 for my iPad 2.

Tee00max
Jun 23, 2013, 09:19 PM
So I hear everyone saying a clean install. What is considered a clean install??

PNutts
Jun 23, 2013, 09:30 PM

Did you install a system monitoring app and see what process is driving the CPU and chewing through the battery?

batting1000
Jun 23, 2013, 09:35 PM
So I hear everyone saying a clean install. What is considered a clean install??

A restore without applying a backup.

Tee00max
Jun 23, 2013, 09:40 PM
Gotcha. I might try that tonight and see how that works for me.

nheilweil
Jun 23, 2013, 11:09 PM
May be referring to "Location Settings". I disabled Passbook in Location Settings and have noticed improved battery life.

Yeah...Passbook activates your GPS every time you turn the screen on! So if you don't need passbook then definitely turn it off in location settings!

gomoq13
Jun 24, 2013, 12:30 AM
Did you install a system monitoring app and see what process is driving the CPU and chewing through the battery?

What app is that? Thanks!

iKaushal
Jun 24, 2013, 01:26 AM
I don't think this can really be called a "fix". The reality is that the majority of people coming to iOS 7, either by way of upgrade or new device, are going to restore from an iCloud backup.

I have confidence that they will iron this out over the course of the beta period, so don't get me wrong.

I agree

daijholt
Jun 24, 2013, 02:35 AM
There's a thread about this already. Lots of info if you're curious..

forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1598145

A restore + set up as new does solve the problem in most cases though. I was charging my iPhone 5 twice in 8 hours before, now it's back to the normal once every 24 hours. Can't guarantee it'll work for everyone though, it is a beta after all.