PDA

View Full Version : iPad 3 is not compatible with iOS 7! (from Apple website)

tmanto02
Jun 12, 2013, 11:46 PM
I was just on the Apple website looking at iOS 7 and noticed that the 3rd generation iPad is not shown as compatible with iOS 7!

Here is a screenshot.

http://i43.tinypic.com/mmr5zd.png

and the link: at bottom of page
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

I find this hard to believe!

qwerty994
Jun 12, 2013, 11:47 PM
In Apple's minds the iPad 3 and 4 are the same generation under "retina display." It's still supported.

batting1000
Jun 12, 2013, 11:49 PM
In Apple's minds the iPad 3 and 4 are the same generation under "retina display." It's still supported.

This. They even said iPad 2 and later during the keynote. If the iPad 2 is supported, then the iPad 3 definitely is.

imaginex20
Jun 12, 2013, 11:49 PM
common sense would say if the ipad 2 is supported then the ipad 3 would be supported.

edit: batting1000 beat me to it :)

ZacNicholson
Jun 12, 2013, 11:50 PM
I think the ipad 3 will have all the features the 4 has besides airdrop

tmanto02
Jun 12, 2013, 11:50 PM

I think that is what they have done. Strange for Apple however...

Gib
Jun 12, 2013, 11:52 PM
I was just on the Apple website looking at iOS 7 and noticed that the 3rd generation iPad is not shown as compatible with iOS 7!

Here is a screenshot.

Image (http://i43.tinypic.com/mmr5zd.png)

and the link: at bottom of page
http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7/features/

I find this hard to believe!

Also from the bottom of the page...

Features are subject to change. Not all features are available on all devices.
Panorama format is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPod touch (5th generation). Square and video formats and swipe to capture are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
Filters in Camera are available on iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation). Filters in Photos are available on iPhone 4 or later, iPad (3rd generation or later), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation).
AirDrop is available on iPhone 5, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires an iCloud account.
Siri is available on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad with Retina display, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply. New female and male voices will be available initially in U.S. English, French, and German.
Find My iPhone enables you to locate iOS devices only when they are on and connected to a registered Wi-Fi network or have an active data plan. Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas.
iCloud requires iOS 5 or later on iPhone 3GS or later, iPod touch (3rd generation or later), iPad, or iPad mini; a Mac computer with OS X Lion or later; or a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 (Outlook 2007 or later or an up-to-date browser is required for accessing email, contacts, and calendars). Some features require iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks. Some features require a Wi-Fi connection. Some features are not available in all countries. Access to some services is limited to 10 devices.

Abba 701
Jun 12, 2013, 11:54 PM
The only thing is that the ipad 3 is Offically not being sold anymore.

iamthekiller
Jun 13, 2013, 12:50 AM
This fool thread should be deleted. Way to not do 20 seconds of research.

mattroman246
Jun 13, 2013, 12:51 AM
good thing i got a 4...

sectime
Jun 13, 2013, 12:53 AM
This fool thread should be deleted. Way to not do 20 seconds of research.
About the same amount of time it took you to post. What harm is done?

Mr Kram
Jun 13, 2013, 12:53 AM
doh to the OP, not apple.

mrmarts
Jun 13, 2013, 12:54 AM
common sense would say if the ipad 2 is supported then the ipad 3 would be supported.

edit: batting1000 beat me to it :)

The Ipad 3 is supported however some of IOS7 features might be limited on the 3rd gen ipad i.e. airdrop

imaginex20
Jun 13, 2013, 01:01 AM
The Ipad 3 is supported however some of IOS7 features might be limited on the 3rd gen ipad i.e. airdrop

Thanks Mr. Obvious. But we were talking about compatibility of iOS 7 not features.

acorntoy
Jun 13, 2013, 01:40 AM
I think that is what they have done. Strange for Apple however...

Why? Do you expect them to put

"The new ipad with retina display" and then "the very slightly newer ipad with retina display" as seperate? Apple really never gave a name to either.

I see this as a problem in the future though on Ios 8 or 9 when they do cut off the ipad 3/4. It might get confusing to average consumers who have no idea what generation ipad they have. Heck it's obviously already confusing people and we are only 2 generations in.

Mlrollin91
Jun 13, 2013, 01:55 AM
There technically wasn't an iPad 3, it was the "New iPad with Retina Display". We just call it an iPad 3/4 because of the generation it actually is.

tmanto02
Jun 13, 2013, 02:46 AM
Why? Do you expect them to put

"The new ipad with retina display" and then "the very slightly newer ipad with retina display" as seperate? Apple really never gave a name to either.

I see this as a problem in the future though on Ios 8 or 9 when they do cut off the ipad 3/4. It might get confusing to average consumers who have no idea what generation ipad they have. Heck it's obviously already confusing people and we are only 2 generations in.

No, I expect them to put:

"iPad (3rd Generation)" and "iPad with Retina Display" / "iPad (4th Generation)" as that is what they are called on Apple's specification page.

All I am saying is that they could have made it a little clearer

symber
Jun 13, 2013, 06:10 AM
I've not owned an iPad before, but thinking of getting one for my special lady friend are the iOS upgrades generally free? Should I wait for it to be released before I buy one so that it comes installed?

Thanks!

Ann P
Jun 13, 2013, 06:14 AM
I've not owned an iPad before, but thinking of getting one for my special lady friend are the iOS upgrades generally free? Should I wait for it to be released before I buy one so that it comes installed?

Thanks!

Yes, they have always been free. You can update via iTunes once it's released. Very easy.

dhlizard
Jun 13, 2013, 06:15 AM

Thanks!

There is no reason to wait for the general realize of the firmware, you can update the firmware when it is finalized.

Firmware updates for iPhone and iPad have always been free.

tmanto02
Jun 13, 2013, 06:15 AM

Thanks!

Software updates are very simple. A notification will pop-up saying that an update is available and click ok to proceed...then it does it by itself!

symber
Jun 13, 2013, 06:17 AM
There is no reason to wait for the general realize of the firmware, you can update the firmware when it is finalized.

Firmware updates for iPhone and iPad have always been free.

Cheers both!

jackwills
Jun 13, 2013, 06:19 AM
Cant wait to get the iOS 7 on my iPhone 5!!

TheRainKing
Jun 13, 2013, 06:30 AM
The iPhone 4 picture in the OP's post is quite misleading, it shows the iPhone 4 with the same transparent dock as the 4S and 5, but apparently the dock is grey on the iPhone 4.

Menel
Jun 13, 2013, 06:35 AM
The iPhone 4 picture in the OP's post is quite misleading, it shows the iPhone 4 with the same transparent dock as the 4S and 5, but apparently the dock is grey on the iPhone 4.Currently on a buggy beta it is. That may, or may not change.