PDA

View Full Version : Crazy bug? iOS 7 FaceTime calls wrong person!

zoonyx
Jun 13, 2013, 03:29 AM
OK, So I know this thread will either go down in history as me embarassing myself and missing something obvious, or people simply won't believe me.

Since upgrading to iOS 7, and not before, I've facetimed my girlfriend a couple of times the night before last, and once this morning. She didn't answer (no jokes please :D ).

Anyway, a few minutes later a mate texts me asking why I've just tried to facetime him. I said I hadn't, suggested (as a joke mainly) it was iOS7 and he replied saying it had happened a couple of times the other night too.

It seems almost replicatable. If you use contacts, its fine. If you go into messages, select my gf, scroll to the top of the messages and press Contact > Facetime, it comes up with the video screen with the correct name at the top, but by all accounts - it calls someone else.

My call history shows I facetimed the girlfriend. My mate's call history insists I've facetimed him. Girlfriend confirms she hasn't had any missed facetime calls.

I've checked the contacts, all seems good.

Am I going mad?

zoonyx
Jun 13, 2013, 05:58 AM
That'll be a yes then?

iBreatheApple
Jun 13, 2013, 06:00 AM
There is a thread for bugs, here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1593586). But this does seem like a more serious one. Make sure to report it to Apple.

zoonyx
Jun 13, 2013, 06:10 AM
Hey, cheers will post there.

I will definitely report to apple, when I'm confident I'm not talking out of my ass :P

Ste Nova
Jun 13, 2013, 08:18 AM
at least its still a contact, imagine the fun that would occur if it facetimed a random lol,

zoonyx
Jun 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
at least its still a contact, imagine the fun that would occur if it facetimed a random lol,

It still had the potential to be embarrassing!

Danimal.t
Jun 25, 2013, 10:05 AM
This just happened to me on beta two. Scared my daughter when it wasn't her mom on the other end. Quite alarming...

imaginex20
Jun 25, 2013, 10:13 AM
Yeah something is up with FT. I'm on Mavericks and FT my GF's phone but the FT call went to her work phone as "Unknown Caller"

zoonyx
Jul 2, 2013, 07:54 AM
Wow! So it wasn't just me. I genuinely thought to myself "this cannot be happened - it must be something I've mis-tapped".

I've not noticed it but have made sure I use facetime via the call app, rather than messages.

Frederico Luna
Jul 2, 2013, 08:43 AM
It happened to my girlfriend last night. I entered her bedroom and she was naked with my best friend on Facetime. She said it was Beta 2's fault.

airbelchris
Jul 2, 2013, 09:58 AM
It happened to my girlfriend last night. I entered her bedroom and she was naked with my best friend on Facetime. She said it was Beta 2's fault.

i got bad news for you m8.....

cdlagrow
Jul 5, 2013, 08:57 PM
I'm glad you posted this because the same thing happened when trying to FaceTime my sister tonight except I just got some random guy!

ijohn.8.80
Jul 5, 2013, 09:55 PM
I'm glad you posted this because the same thing happened when trying to FaceTime my sister tonight except I just got some random guy!

That's her boyfriend, try and keep up with her life dude! :p

solarguy17
Jul 5, 2013, 10:06 PM
...If you go into messages, select my gf, scroll to the top of the messages and press Contact > Facetime, it comes up with the video screen with the correct name at the top, but by all accounts - it calls someone else.

Strange, when I try to FaceTime with your girlfriend this way it goes through correctly. Odd

ijohn.8.80
Jul 5, 2013, 11:34 PM
Strange, when I try to FaceTime with your girlfriend this way it goes through correctly. Odd

And we have a winner! :D

daviddth
Jul 5, 2013, 11:51 PM
i got bad news for you m8.....

Yep, they swapped phones again... :D

I have not had it happen here as my wife has a different phone to her boyfriend so they cant swap them over by accident :eek:

falconeight
Jul 6, 2013, 12:36 AM
That's actually pretty funny

zoonyx
Jul 10, 2013, 08:14 AM
Funny and potentially scary :P

Any further reports?

I've not had it happen since beta 1, but as I say, I try not to use the messages app to initiate a call now!

codybriana
Jul 10, 2013, 08:21 AM
Yes, this happened to me on Beta 1. I had been trying to facetime my sister who was in China at the time, but the facetime just kept ringing. The next day i get a phone call from my old drafting professor's number, he had apparently changed numbers because the woman who was on the other end had no idea who i was. Anyway, she claimed that i had tried to facetime her 3 times last night. I looked in my call history around those times and it was during when i tried to facetime my sister in china. Weird. As a note my sister didn't show any incoming facetime calls.

However, i have facetimed my other family members just fine.

abijnk
Jul 13, 2013, 02:30 PM
Just experienced this. Was rather unsettling. Tried to call my husband using the Contact button from the messages thread and ended up connected to a friend I haven't talked to in years. So yeah, same exact thing. I'll be reporting it to Apple, too.

r-m
Jul 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
Wahoo! Looks like apple have finally gotten on the chat roulette band-wagon! Shame it's only to your other contacts though :-( Not as fun as some random stranger

Actually resisting using Facetime now. There are some people in my contacts I'd rather not see!

Davmeister
Jul 18, 2013, 06:09 PM
Hi all. Confirmed happening in Beta 3 using FT button in messages app. Too scared to FT from iPhone at all now! FWIW it's the same contact each time (the random person) and they are completely unknown to me.

abijnk
Jul 30, 2013, 10:14 AM
Got a reply on the bug report that this has been fixed. Please test and PM me if it's still not working for you. Work as expected on both of my dev iPhone 5's.

dereklandon
Sep 25, 2013, 01:11 AM
This just happened to me and I'm on the official iOS7 release!

Got some random person picking up!

Dmartino
Sep 25, 2013, 08:17 AM
Yup. Happening consistently on my 4s with official iOS 7. Occurred this time from the recent calls list when I re-dialed a contact. Best part is that for this contact, it calls the SAME random stranger. I'm willing to bet they can't see my cell number. After 4 occurrences, I'm sure this guy woulda called me and said wtf.

But yeah. a FT wrong number dial is the most awkward thing ever.

snappysimon
Sep 29, 2013, 07:42 AM
Same thing happened to me. The problem was that I had a home number for the contact saved under "other" as well as a mobile number. iOS7 was sticking a mobile prefix in front of this "other" number and treating it like a mobile number. Deleting the other number stored under the contact, or putting the full international prefix before the number seems to have sorted it out for me.

PriscillaAshley
Oct 12, 2013, 11:31 AM
My son was trying to FaceTime his aunt today and some guy answered. It was so weird. We use her email address to call her iPad though. I thought maybe we were doing something wrong. It never happened with iOS 6. Has Apple acknowledged this issue yet?

budgetbrian
Oct 31, 2013, 05:16 AM
Same thing with me, my wife left missed FaceTime call, I call her back and get a couple in Australis! Same Christian name as my wife, but my wife is in uk and I am in Bahhrain.
Worse still the Australian couple say I've called them a dozen times but my FaceTime shows me only calling my wife!
I know today is Halloween, but this goes back some several days already!

OK, So I know this thread will either go down in history as me embarassing myself and missing something obvious, or people simply won't believe me.

Since upgrading to iOS 7, and not before, I've facetimed my girlfriend a couple of times the night before last, and once this morning. She didn't answer (no jokes please :D ).

Anyway, a few minutes later a mate texts me asking why I've just tried to facetime him. I said I hadn't, suggested (as a joke mainly) it was iOS7 and he replied saying it had happened a couple of times the other night too.

It seems almost replicatable. If you use contacts, its fine. If you go into messages, select my gf, scroll to the top of the messages and press Contact > Facetime, it comes up with the video screen with the correct name at the top, but by all accounts - it calls someone else.

My call history shows I facetimed the girlfriend. My mate's call history insists I've facetimed him. Girlfriend confirms she hasn't had any missed facetime calls.

I've checked the contacts, all seems good.

Am I going mad?

bflowers
Oct 31, 2013, 08:45 AM
Mine started calling random people when I tried calling my parent's house. It also connected them to someone else at the same time. Happened several times, but turned out to be a switching issue between my cell phone provider and their landline provider.

CB1234
Oct 31, 2013, 12:24 PM
My FaceTime went to Jonny Ive and I told him what pile of poo iOS 7 was.....

He said he it is a feature of iOS 7 that FaceTime calls random people... Idea is to get more people to know each other and spread love....

Caelan329
Nov 8, 2013, 10:28 PM
Got a reply on the bug report that this has been fixed. Please test and PM me if it's still not working for you. Work as expected on both of my dev iPhone 5's.

I just had it happen twice to me tonight!!! My friend and I were facetiming and her phone died and when I tried to call her back it connected me to someone else, so i hung up, then she kept trying to FT me and it wouldn't even ring or attempt to connect and so I FT'd her again and it connected me to the people I didn't know (their numbers aren't even in my contacts) AGAIN!! I had to block the number because they kept trying to facetime me. Extremely unhappy and very scared to face time now...

----------

My son was trying to FaceTime his aunt today and some guy answered. It was so weird. We use her email address to call her iPad though. I thought maybe we were doing something wrong. It never happened with iOS 6. Has Apple acknowledged this issue yet?

Agreed it never happened with iOS6... it's extremely creepy to have it happen though, because it's such an invasion of privacy on both ends. The people who you get connected to now have your number and the people on the other end are now under the impression that you have theirs.

Towertwelve
Dec 12, 2013, 12:24 PM
Yes, I can confirm that as of Dec 12th 2013 the same thing is happening to me. Very annoying, and somewhat scary. But so far it has only tried to call someone who was also in my contact, and who I'm friends with, so not a huge deal...yet. But I am now officially scared to sue it. Has apple commented on this?

I7guy
Dec 12, 2013, 12:36 PM
Lots of facetime calls, no wrong numbers.

bender999
Dec 21, 2013, 09:17 PM
This happened to me just now. I called my Mom on Facetime and some stranger answered. My phone says I called the correct contact & number ....

Is it a coincidence that Game Center is not working for me? Everything else seems to work that's related to my Apple ID.

I also cannot do a hard reset properly. As soon as the iPhone shuts down it turns back on by itself. It's supposed to stay off until I turn it back on .... Or has this changed since iOS 6 which was the last time I did a hard reset (by holding down ON button and home button simultaneously for 10 secs).

:confused:

djtech42
Dec 21, 2013, 09:35 PM
I also cannot do a hard reset properly. As soon as the iPhone shuts down it turns back on by itself. It's supposed to stay off until I turn it back on .... Or has this changed since iOS 6 which was the last time I did a hard reset (by holding down ON button and home button simultaneously for 10 secs).

:confused:

That's how a normal hard reset works. It will shut off and then immediately start up again.

zoonyx
Mar 10, 2014, 10:15 AM
Kinda forgot about this thread. Did the problems go away at the end of the year? Glad I wasn't going nuts.

Ivegotmistletoe
Apr 8, 2014, 08:20 AM
Nope, not fixed. Just happened to my husband last night - he tried to FaceTime me and got someone random. Then he had a missed FaceTime call today that was allegedly from my number (but it wasn't me). Not cool, Apple.

cynics
Apr 8, 2014, 09:42 AM
I use FaceTime quite frequently with friends. The only time it will call the wrong person (for me) is if someone is sharing their AppleID with someone else.

I tried facetime'ing a coworker the other day. A few minutes later his wife called me asking who called her. Very awkward situation that could have put me in had we not figured out what happened relatively quickly.