PDA

View Full Version : Airdrop: iPhone to mac

eiprol
Jun 13, 2013, 06:55 AM
Is Airdrop supposed to work only between iDevices? Make sense to be able to transfer pictures between a mac and an iOS7 device.. However, It's not working for me. Maybe, it has been talked before over here, but I've not found anything related; just Airdrop between two iDevices.

It doesn't work because it's just an early beta, or because it wont work ever? Any information about this?

mattopotamus
Jun 13, 2013, 06:56 AM
Is Airdrop supposed to work only between iDevices? Make sense to be able to transfer pictures between a mac and an iOS7 device.. However, It's not working for me. Maybe, it has been talked before over here, but I've not found anything related; just Airdrop between two iDevices.

It doesn't work because it's just an early beta, or because it wont work ever? Any information about this?

I wonder if it is a feature that will work with maverick only.

eiprol
Jun 13, 2013, 06:57 AM
I wonder if it is a feature that will work with maverick only.

I've just tried with Maverick and doesn't work (at least for me) :rolleyes:

mattopotamus
Jun 13, 2013, 06:59 AM
I've just tried with Maverick and doesn't work (at least for me) :rolleyes:

dang, then maybe it is only an IOS7 to IOS7 feature.

Shishu
Jun 13, 2013, 07:21 AM
They probably add this as new feature in 10.10

tmanto02
Jun 18, 2013, 09:30 PM
Has anyone had any luck with this? Or any new information?

I assumed when the airdrop feature was announced they meant that users could also transfer files between Mac and iPhone. :mad:

Northernist
Jun 18, 2013, 09:37 PM
Currently it's only between iOS devices but who knows, it could be added before Mavericks and iOS 7 go public.

lancastor
Jun 19, 2013, 12:06 PM
AirDrop in iOS is for iOS devices only. You cannot send or receive files from a desktop OS X.

seble
Jun 19, 2013, 02:16 PM
Maybe it'll be added to the 5S ;)

xcodeaddict
Jun 19, 2013, 02:23 PM
AirDrop in iOS is for iOS devices only. You cannot send or receive files from a desktop OS X.

I find that notion hard to swallow; I doubt Apple are so short-sighted as to miss such an incredible selling point - it goes completely against the nature of Apple.

Dwalls90
Jun 19, 2013, 02:24 PM
I would BET it's coming, just not built in yet.

VSMacOne
Jun 19, 2013, 02:35 PM
I would BET it's coming, just not built in yet.
Maybe iOS 7 will finally bring a Finder app with it which will make AirDrop between iOS and Mac even more intriguing.

Dwalls90
Jun 19, 2013, 02:54 PM
Maybe iOS 7 will finally bring a Finder app with it which will make AirDrop between iOS and Mac even more intriguing.

I think this is definitely a little too optimistic, but the UI changes in regards to sharing have been so drastic, I guess anything is possible?

VSMacOne
Jun 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
I think this is definitely a little too optimistic, but the UI changes in regards to sharing have been so drastic, I guess anything is possible?
Hey, we can hope :)

I did notice that in an iMessage conversation where pictures or videos have been sent, there is a new List View that shows all the files that have been send back and forth. It has limited functionality right now, but might prove to be something bigger come Fall.

Menneisyys2
Jun 21, 2013, 03:33 AM

Interestingly, there's AirDrop in my ML's Finder:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/062013/airdroponml.jpg

I've tried transferring pics from my iPhone 5 to my Mac but nothing happened.

Zaid
Jun 21, 2013, 06:03 AM
I find that notion hard to swallow; I doubt Apple are so short-sighted as to miss such an incredible selling point - it goes completely against the nature of Apple.

Not sure about that. I love all my Apple gear, but in my experience, this sounds almost exactly like something they would do. Start small and limited and then expand.

Also, I think they want to push iCloud as the way to transfer things between OSx and iOS

towg
Jun 21, 2013, 06:52 AM

Image (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/062013/airdroponml.jpg)

Yep its been in OSX since Lion.

Quercus Alba
Jun 21, 2013, 07:18 AM
Apple seems strangely obsessed with not improving file management and transfer on iOS. :(

How to fix iOS:

1) Give us a Finder.app on iOS
2) Give Finder.app an iCloud dropbox folder on OS X and iOS
3) Un-cripple AirDrop to allow its use between OS X and iOS

How not to fix iOS:

1) Change how the stock icons look and introduce animated wallpapers.

Boom done.

bushido
Jun 21, 2013, 07:19 AM

Image (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81986513/062013/airdroponml.jpg)

uhm welcome to 2009 :p

it does work between macs but not between mac and idevices which is a bit annoying especially if you simply want to share an image from your iphone to the mac

Menneisyys2
Jun 21, 2013, 07:24 AM
Apple seems strangely obsessed with not improving file management and transfer on iOS. :(

Yup. At least a central repo of shared files would be great. Then, teh same (even multi-Gigabyte) files could easily be shared between apps of different capabilities. (This is a VERY acute problem with video players.) Currently, all one can do is symlinking - of course, on a JB'n device only.

Apple's own inter-app file transfer support is pathetic - it physically copies the file and has a cap of 200 MBytes. Definitely useless for quickly transfer a large video file from Player1 to Player2 when the need arises.

----------

uhm welcome to 2009 :p

it does work between macs but not between mac and idevices which is a bit annoying especially if you simply want to share an image from your iphone to the mac

Lolz... pretty pathetic... So much for "innovation"...

fl0manel
Oct 1, 2013, 04:59 PM
Hello, I also had a problem with AirDrop between my MacBook Air (running Mac OS X Mavericks) and my iPhone 5 (running iOS 7.0.2). I also understand that AirDrop for iOS isn't available on the iPhone 4s, iPhone 4, iPad 3, and iPad 2. In a search to find a great alternative, I did end up finding an app called DeskConnect, which is FREE and runs great on Mac and iDevices (and not just iOS 7 or Mac OS X Mavericks).

DeskConnect (links below) allows users to transfer Photos, Documents, Websites, and even Clipboards between any Mac or iDevice. And even better, they don't have to be within range of each other, like what AirDrop requires. You can be in California on vacation and taking pictures, and as long as you are logged into DeskConnect on your destination device, you're set! You can send files between multiple devices at the same time as well. Though not all AirDrop features are available with DeskConnect, DeskConnect still comes packed with features that aren't available with AirDrop.

Here is the Mac App Store link:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deskconnect/id642220194?mt=12

Here is the link to the app on the iTunes Store (for iPod, iPhone, & iPad):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/deskconnect/id642218244?mt=8

Hope you guys found this a little bit helpful. :)