Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Is there any way to get it to work?

Anyone know if there's some ETA of it working? These are nightlies, so I'd imagine them working a bit faster than if it was a standard release.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Perhaps its my misunderstanding of things but isn't the webkit nightlys for the current version (ML) of Safari? If so then I'd think the nightlys will never work because of the version of safari on Mavericks. Again I could be totally misunderstanding the issue

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Perhaps its my misunderstanding of things but isn't the webkit nightlys for the current version (ML) of Safari? If so then I'd think the nightlys will never work because of the version of safari on Mavericks. Again I could be totally misunderstanding the issue

Is that it?

All I know is that it says... let me get the exact error message.

"OS X10.9 not supported

Nightly builds of WebKit are not supported on OS X 10.9 at this time."

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
what is the scrolling performance difference between the nightly webkit vs native 10.9 safari?

I use the webkit exclusively now on my rMPB and can't go back to native safari, its too choppy.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I think I remember Webkit failing in the early builds of ML. They catch up and are compatible soon after the DP was released.I expect it to work soon. Check back each night.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
what is the scrolling performance difference between the nightly webkit vs native 10.9 safari?

I use the webkit exclusively now on my rMPB and can't go back to native safari, its too choppy.

I can't tell you about the performance on a retina, I'm using an Air. :p

I think I remember Webkit failing in the early builds of ML. They catch up and are compatible soon after the DP was released.I expect it to work soon. Check back each night.

Alright, checking every day.

myxomatosis

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
Montréal
I have a Retina and I was using the Nightlies too because scrolling was smoother.

Safari 7 scrolling in Mavericks seems as smooth as it was in the webkit nightlies to me, so I stopped worrying and I simply use the stock Safari browser.

Facebook is a good way to verify if scrolling is smooth... and it is with the new Safari so I guess they updated the webkit engine to a newer version.

Here’s a quick video I made. It’s a crappy 30fps cell phone video so it doesn’t show how smooth it is in reality, but it shows there’s no choppiness

http://youtu.be/v4GzF-UBY1I

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I have a Retina and I was using the Nightlies too because scrolling was smoother.

Safari 7 scrolling in Mavericks seems as smooth as it was in the webkit nightlies to me, so I stopped worrying and I simply use the stock Safari browser.

Facebook is a good way to verify if scrolling is smooth... and it is with the new Safari so I guess they updated the webkit engine to a newer version.

Here’s a quick video I made. It’s a ****** 30fps cell phone video so it doesn’t show how smooth it is in reality, but it shows there’s no choppiness

http://youtu.be/v4GzF-UBY1I

Curses, I had hoped you had good news.

I mean, even Safari 7 is slower than 6.1 was with the Nightlies before I upgraded. And that's not mentioning the roughly 20 fewer points on the HTML5 test.

I mainly love the speed, though

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
The nightlies have NEVER worked for pre-production OSX versions, and sometimes even production versions too, for as much as a month after release. I experienced this myself with Mountain Lion ;)

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Just upgraded to Mavericks, the new safari is lightning fast, same speed as the nightly webkit. One would assume they included the new webkit stuff in this build of OSX.

DiscardedPacket

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2013
Its hard to determine which was faster. Based on my benchmarks with Quarts Debug, both are scrolling through graphics intensive websites at 60FPS.

Its definitely not worse though!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
I must disagree, the nightly webkit loaded pages faster. This was especially noticeable when I was reloading multiple pages. This is way faster than 6.1 on its own, but it's no WebKit Nightly.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Remember Mavericks have "Responsive Scrolling" built into Safari 7. It will be more responsive than any previous versions for sure since everybody have noticed the improved scrolling improvements.

Because of the changes they made to Safari 7, which are not yet upstreamed to webkit nighties, they intentionally made sure Webkit nighties are disabled on 10.9 until it has all the changes from Apple first.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Remember Mavericks have "Responsive Scrolling" built into Safari 7. It will be more responsive than any previous versions for sure since everybody has noticed the improved scrolling improvements.

Because of the changes they made to Safari 7, which are not yet upstreamed to webkit nighties, they intentionally made sure Webkit nighties are disabled on 10.9 until it has all the changes from Apple first.

I hadn't thought of that.

macman237

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Is there any way to get it to work?

Anyone know if there's some ETA of it working? These are nightlies, so I'd imagine them working a bit faster than if it was a standard release.

Thanks ahead of time for the responses.

Michael Goff,

It seems from my experience that since we are not able to open and update the last nightly build for Mountain Lion after upgrading to Mavericks, you would have to download the disk image of the new/current nightly builds to continue using Webkit. I was just able to update Webkit to r158573 today. Hope this helps!

Michael Goff

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Michael Goff,

It seems from my experience that since we are not able to open and update the last nightly build for Mountain Lion after upgrading to Mavericks, you would have to download the disk image of the new/current nightly builds to continue using Webkit. I was just able to update Webkit to r158573 today. Hope this helps!

Thanks.

It works now, but apparently it never works for any betas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.