Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

historyteacher

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2010
Hey all,

Looking for some advice and checking to make sure I have all my basis covered before I try anything too foolish!

I have a 2.4 Ghz C2D. Everything stock. Still works great, but slowing down for my taste...some spinning beach ball and lag issues when using iMovie and iPhoto.

For quite a while now I was bound and determined to get a new iMac for my upstairs office. Due to it being 2013 and all the positives I see with SSD's I would not buy one without the fusion drive from Apple. That puts any iMac in the $1500+ range.

I have since been doing some research via here and OWC and have been looking into the possibilities of simply upgrading this Macbook with an SSD and 2 GB more ram. All of this and a 3rd party monitor via Amazon, I am looking at somewhere around $500.

Money is not the entire issue here either. I have the cash for the iMac, just wondering if that is overkill for my needs. If it was a matter of a couple hundred bucks...it would be a no brainer for me, but around $1000...well that could translate into an iPad mini for my daughter and still have some cash left at the end. Just wanted to clarify.

I am not a power user by any stretch...my abilities of photo and video are limited to iLife. Nothing more advanced.

Questions:

1. Are the newer operating systems (ML/Mavericks when it is released) compatible with my machine?

2. If I do install a new SSD, what are the software tips for doing that (never done it before). I do use a time capsule, so I have a backup of my current hard drive.

3. Am I missing anything about using an external monitor? Should I be looking for a docking station, or is it simply a mini displayport thing?

4. Anything else this I may have missed. :)

Thanks for all the help as always!

Mike

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.