Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Just wondering. Since iOS7 now shows the screenshot of apps in Multitasking, does it go to the same saved state as shown in the screenshot?

Reason I'm asking is cause, I've had apps reload on me when choosing from the multitask bar on my iPad and iPhone iOS6 and below.

On my Android phones, it always goes back to the screenshot state even if I clear RAM and even if it's been a couple days, with the exception of apps that require secure logins(like banking apps). If I clear RAM, the app will reload, but it will still reload back to the screenshot state. Will even play videos from where I left off and take me back to the same browser page shown on the screenshot.

Does the iOS7 multitasking do the same? This would probably be the only reason I'll update my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4S(which I use as a backup).

ios7-multitasking-100041457-medium.png
Screen-Shot-2013-05-18-at-2.25.48-PM.png

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
No. multitasking still acts the same, which is one of the reasons I don't get this new multitasking view. Unless there will be some change apps will be able to make. but i think ios by default should save states to disk

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
iOS 7 introduces real multitasking, similar to Android. One of the features is real time refreshing.

The reason why it's not working with third party apps is because no third party app has been updated to use the feature.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
No. multitasking still acts the same, which is one of the reasons I don't get this new multitasking view. Unless there will be some change apps will be able to make. but i think ios by default should save states to disk

Even with default apps?

iOS 7 introduces real multitasking, similar to Android. One of the features is real time refreshing.

The reason why it's not working with third party apps is because no third party app has been updated to use the feature.

Ok, I guess I'll ask again after it's released. I hope it's not device dependent.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I think it's just that iOS 7 "screenshots" the app as you close it, allowing it to show you an image of the app's UI in the new app-switcher.

I've noticed that the UI displayed in the switcher is often slightly out of date, or just wrong, when compared to the actual running app. I just put this down to it being beta 1.

boobie12

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
One thing that's cool while in the app switcher while the camera is running in the background you can take a pic. Multi tasking isint the same for default apps. Anothr example aside from above is if I load a page in sagar and a double click the home button, you'll see Safari loading while in the multi tasking tray I hope some of this made sense lol.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Just wondering. Since iOS7 now shows the screenshot of apps in Multitasking, does it go to the same saved state as shown in the screenshot?

Reason I'm asking is cause, I've had apps reload on me when choosing from the multitask bar on my iPad and iPhone iOS6 and below.

On my Android phones, it always goes back to the screenshot state even if I clear RAM and even if it's been a couple days, with the exception of apps that require secure logins(like banking apps). If I clear RAM, the app will reload, but it will still reload back to the screenshot state. Will even play videos from where I left off and take me back to the same browser page shown on the screenshot.

Does the iOS7 multitasking do the same? This would probably be the only reason I'll update my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4S(which I use as a backup).

ImageImage

Not yet. This will be app dependent, and of course no apps have been updated for iOS 7 yet (and can't be until it's released). What you're describing is the new Background App Refresh feature. You won't see this with third party apps until the public release, and even then, only when/if those apps are actually updated with that feature and you enable it in Settings.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Not sure if this is what you're asking or not, but watching a video yesterday...when the guy went to multitasking view, the camera.app (not the front center card) was showing a real time camera view (i.e., it was working in the background). I thought that was cool.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I think it's just that iOS 7 "screenshots" the app as you close it, allowing it to show you an image of the app's UI in the new app-switcher.

I've noticed that the UI displayed in the switcher is often slightly out of date, or just wrong, when compared to the actual running app. I just put this down to it being beta 1.

Actually the apps will be able to receive silent push notifications to download new information. The app can be told to stay in the background and fetch new information. So when the user comes back to the app new information will be ready to view.
https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/videos/?include=204#204

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
The controls are pretty granular. The app does not need to visually reload, it can be told to fetch new information in the background without the user noticing.

Yes, but I'm just hoping for example: I don't use Safari for a good 8 hours, I then go back to Safari via multitasking screen, will it go straight to the page that's on the screenshot or reload home page? Will it also reload with saved info or simply refresh.

On Android I can be the middle of typing in a post on a forum, press home button, and come back later. It will pop up with everything I typed in the quote screen. As long as I don't mess with manually clearing RAM.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, but I'm just hoping for example: I don't use Safari for a good 8 hours, I then go back to Safari via multitasking screen, will it go straight to the page that's on the screenshot or reload home page? Will it also reload with saved info or simply refresh.

On Android I can be the middle of typing in a post on a forum, press home button, and come back later. It will pop up with everything I typed in the quote screen.

The saved state should keep your text entry. I've heard in Safari in iOS6 that it will lose the txt if you hit the back button then go forward again. Some have said it's site specific.

The demo I have seen the app is closed. In the background new data is fetched. The app is activated again and new posts are un-read in blue.

Now this is different than the problem of losing txt entered into a form. It's too early to tell I think.
Did that make sense?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The screenshots in the multitasking view are actually live. You can watch somebody type and respond to you in Messages in the multitasking view, for example, or see a web page load. I think they tweaked how multitasking functions in iOS 7.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
The saved state should keep your text entry. I've heard in Safari in iOS6 that it will lose the txt if you hit the back button then go forward again. Some have said it's site specific.

The demo I have seen the app is closed. In the background new data is fetched. The app is activated again and new posts are un-read in blue.

Now this is different than the problem of losing txt entered into a form. It's too early to tell I think.
Did that make sense?

Yea, thanks I got it.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
The default apps still timeout. For example if I go to a certain page in the settings app and try to go back to it later, it will reload from the main settings page again. I don't know if this is a memory limitation or designed to close after so many minutes

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
The default apps still timeout. For example if I go to a certain page in the settings app and try to go back to it later, it will reload from the main settings page again. I don't know if this is a memory limitation or designed to close after so many minutes

Yea, that was basically my concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.