PDA

View Full Version : I don't hate the icons, but I thought I'd have a go?

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:04 AM
So, this is my first time using Photoshop for about 2 years and I'm trying to make a few icons, I don't think I'm better than Jony or anything I'm just trying to make things, any feedback for me? Constructive criticism?

Obviously this is only a work in progress, I've probably been working on these for about 3 hours now and I just wanna know what you think at this point.

Thanks for having a look.

(Wallpaper behind my icons isn't something I made) (I also think the icons have been slightly rounded so mine are a bit different)

1st pic - Original
2nd pic - Original with my icons
3rd pic - My icons with non of the original stuff

212rikanmofo
Jun 13, 2013, 11:05 AM
Uhm, no.

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 11:05 AM
I don't think you improved it; Gamecenter is not a chess game and App Store is not a writing app.

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
Sorry mate, but these are not very good.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:06 AM
Gamecenter is not a chess game.

Neither is it 4 bubbles

----------

Sorry mate, but these are not very good.

That's fine, but why not? What can I improve?

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:09 AM
Neither is it 4 bubbles

----------

Game Center is more like 4 bubbles than a chess piece. You did a nice job, I just prefer the iOS 7 icons.

pedrofan
Jun 13, 2013, 11:10 AM
Both are ugly. The main problem is the white icon background arbitrary selected.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:10 AM
Game Center is more like 4 bubbles than a chess piece.

I'm not sure how that represents a game at all, as well as them having a non 'flat' shine on them

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
Neither is it 4 bubbles

http://ripley.za.net/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/ef4c7_ios7_game_center.jpg

Still don't see the connection between the icon and the app?

----------

I'm not sure how that represents a game at all, as well as them having a non 'flat' shine on them

GC is not a game, its a social app.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:16 AM
Image (http://ripley.za.net/wp-content/plugins/rss-poster/cache/ef4c7_ios7_game_center.jpg)

Still don't see the connection between the icon and the app?

----------

GC is not a game, its a social app.

Yes, they show scores and stuff but they still carry no actual connection to a game, it may be social, but the old app had chess pieces and green felt etc.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 13, 2013, 11:16 AM
So, this is my first time using Photoshop for about 2 years and I'm trying to make a few icons, I don't think I'm better than Jony or anything I'm just trying to make things, any feedback for me? Constructive criticism?

Obviously this is only a work in progress, I've probably been working on these for about 3 hours now and I just wanna know what you think at this point.

(Wallpaper behind my icons isn't something I made) (I also think the icons have been slightly rounded so mine are a bit different)

1st pic - Original

LMAO besides the Safari app, you "fixed" the apps that were the best looking. Put the ones you did back to normal and try the Settings, Reminders, Newsstand and Safari. Also, don't use such a harsh shadow.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
LMAO besides the Safari app, you "fixed" the apps that were the best looking. Put the ones you did back to normal and try the Settings, Reminders, Newsstand and Safari. Also, don't use such a harsh shadow.

I didn't say I fixed anything, and yes I know

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 11:18 AM
Yes, they show scores and stuff but they still carry no actual connection to a game, it may be social, but the old app had chess pieces and green felt etc.

The old app looked like a 4-in-1 game pack.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 13, 2013, 11:19 AM

Not sure if you know this or not.. Some of the app icons are representative of the apps home screen. So when you press the app icon it looks like it's zooming in on to the page.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:21 AM
Not sure if you know this or not.. Some of the app icons are representative of the apps home screen. So when you click the app it looks like it's zooming in on to the page.

Except the Game Centre home screen where the bubbles are in a different size and colour order than on the icon

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 11:25 AM

Overall - shadows are too heavy.

Messages - overlapping bubbles don't look like anything without some sort of differentiation between the two.

Notes - preferred the thinner lines and light touch of the original.

Game Center - agreed it looks like too much of a game.

iTunes - prefer the original, intersection of circle and notes looks sloppy.

App Store - not representative of its contents, single pencil generally identifies "Edit" in most glyph contexts.

ajvizzgamer101
Jun 13, 2013, 11:25 AM
I didn't say I fixed anything, and yes I know

You were just making a point the bubbles did not work for the Game Center app icon. Which implies you had an issues and you had the urge to fix it. Does it not? :)

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:26 AM
Except the Game Centre home screen where the bubbles are in a different size and colour order than on the icon

Well it doesn't zoom into a chess piece, that's for sure. :)

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 11:27 AM

So you'd be fine if that detail was corrected. The current icon has more to do with the app than a specific representation of a type of game.

Then again, what does a big F have to do with the most popular social media app?

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:31 AM
You were just making a point the bubbles did not work for the Game Center app icon. Which implies you had an issues and you had the urge to fix it. Does it not? :)

Yes and no, I don't like the bubble texture, the actually colour and circles is fine, the chess piece was just a quick way of making change, I couldn't use my awful Photoshop ability to make any decent looking similar icon with the texture I wanted

----------

Overall - shadows are too heavy.

Messages - overlapping bubbles don't look like anything without some sort of differentiation between the two.

Notes - preferred the thinner lines and light touch of the original.

Game Center - agreed it looks like too much of a game.

iTunes - prefer the original, intersection of circle and notes looks sloppy.

App Store - not representative of its contents, single pencil generally identifies "Edit" in most glyph contexts.

Ok, thankyou

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:34 AM
Then again, what does a big F have to do with the most popular social media app?

The name is Facebook and the "f" is the logo that represents/stands for the name. Not sure if you were being serious there or not.

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
Look, you make a post where you are fixing issues you see, and by offering alternate icons you are trying to fix them, you are asking for criticism. I think its obvious that MR people are very opinionated about the iOS interface so don't take any of this personally.

Imagine how Ive feels.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
The name is Facebook and the "f" is the logo that represents/stands for the name. Not sure if you were being serious there or not.

Even if he wasn't serious, an F doesn't represent any type of social media

----------

Look, you make a post where you are fixing issues you see, and by offering alternate icons you are trying to fix them, you are asking for criticism. I think its obvious that MR people are very opinionated about the iOS interface so don't take any of this personally.

Imagine how Ive feels.

Only one person actually gave constrictive criticism, I have no issue with pointing out problems, all I'm trying to do is familiarise myself with Photoshop

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 11:43 AM

I was having a little fun, but the point is that an icon doesn't have to be a exact representation of a game icon for people to know what it does. If you had never used either before the Facebook icon could easily be the Flipboard icon; at least the flipboard icon carries the metaphor of flippable panels over better than the facebook icons does social media.

jacobss
Jun 13, 2013, 11:46 AM
Sorry but these do not look good.

WesCole
Jun 13, 2013, 11:46 AM
I like your Messages and Safari icons. The rest were either too similar to the original or didn't seem appealing to me. Everyone has their own tastes, though. :D

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 11:49 AM
I like your Messages and Safari icons. The rest were either too similar to the original or didn't seem appealing to me. Everyone has their own tastes, though. :D

Thanks:) Those were probably the icons I put the most thought into, apparently it shows haha

haydn!
Jun 13, 2013, 11:59 AM
As others have said, these aren't that great. You chose to redo probably the few icons that work best!

I also think your missing the point about the connection needed between the icon and the app. Yeah, the bubble's don't represent a game or social media, but they're part of the apps' internal 'brand' or identity - therefore have a connection to the application they're representing. Just like the god awful original icon matched the hideous app design from before. The icon doesn't 'work' for people right now, because most of the armchair developers here haven't yet used the app, so haven't built the familiarity yet.

Also, how can anyone not relate the Facebook 'f' icon to Facebook? It's surely one of the most recognisable logo's and brands of current times, it appears everywhere!

aziatiklover
Jun 13, 2013, 12:03 PM
Eh gross! I rather have ios 6 icons then if you were working for apple.

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 12:04 PM
Also, how can anyone not relate the Facebook 'f' icon to Facebook? It's surely one of the most recognisable logo's and brands of current times, it appears everywhere!

That's the point, we know it means facebook because we are familar with it, but there is nothing about it that says social media. As soon as people start using GC the icon will make sense and people will be familiar with it.

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 12:05 PM

An an Apple doesn't represent an iPhone or any type of consumer electronics. The point is it's a brand / logo / company name. The f isn't meant to represent social media. It's meant to represent that full name OF the social networking site.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
Eh gross! I rather have ios 6 icons then if you were working for apple.

But I'm not working for Apple?

haydn!
Jun 13, 2013, 12:07 PM
That's the point, we know it means facebook because we are familar with it, but there is nothing about it that says social media. As soon as people start using GC the icon will make sense and people will be familiar with it.

Yup, I got that. My point was aimed at person who doesn't :cool:

Masquerade
Jun 13, 2013, 02:15 PM
Game Center is more like 4 bubbles than a chess piece. You did a nice job, I just prefer the iOS 7 icons.

Bubbles = Sony style

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 02:31 PM
But I'm not working for Apple?

Its a shame that MacThemes is down, but there are a lot of sources for ideas and tutorials if you enjoyed making icons. DeviantArt and Dribbble are two that come to mind. Perhaps modmyiphone.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 03:16 PM
Its a shame that MacThemes is down, but there are a lot of sources for ideas and tutorials if you enjoyed making icons. DeviantArt and Dribbble are two that come to mind. Perhaps modmyiphone.

You're not being sarcastic here right?

darngooddesign
Jun 13, 2013, 03:18 PM
You're not being sarcastic here right?

I would have used the /s sarcasm tag if I were.

UX design is fun and if you enjoyed yourself there are plenty of resources to help you go further. Its also a good way to learn Photoshop.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 03:21 PM
I would have used the /s sarcasm tag if I were.

UX design is fun and if you enjoyed yourself there are plenty of resources to help you go further. Its also a good way to learn Photoshop.

Oh, thank you:)

cambookpro
Jun 13, 2013, 04:22 PM
I love designing alternate icons and UIs, especially for Apple stuff. My little hobby :p

Having said that, the icons don't look like a huge improvement -- I do prefer your Safari and sort of drawn on GC and Messages (yours may have the edge on GC), but the rest don't really improve on iOS 7's. What does a pencil signify for the App Store?

Anyway, keep trying. The first icons I tried to design were pretty disastrous...

http://psd.tutsplus.com is a great website as they give nice detailed tutorials - of course, you don't have to follow them exactly, but I always pick up little tips from there now and again. Even after using PS for 8 years, I only realised last month you could do a stroke on a selection... :o

Have fun with it, and play around. Good luck!

dejo
Jun 13, 2013, 04:25 PM
Only one person actually gave constrictive criticism, I have no issue with pointing out problems, all I'm trying to do is familiarise myself with Photoshop

Actually, I think icon design like this is better done in something like Illustrator.

campingsk8er
Jun 13, 2013, 05:31 PM

1st pic - Original

Not to be rude, but I think you just played a game of chess, and we all agree, "Check mate"

Sirious
Jun 13, 2013, 06:11 PM

1st pic - Original

I like the flatness of the Safari app icon by Jony Ive, but I like the graphic of yours :)