PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Party Skype Client That Works With iOS 7?

fredthompson
Jun 13, 2013, 11:13 AM
As some of you may know, skype doesn't work on iOS 7. Has anybody found a third party client that works on 7?

Jare
Jun 13, 2013, 11:27 AM
As some of you may know, skype doesn't work on iOS 7. Has anybody found a third party client that works on 7?

I've been told that iOS 7 is a developer beta, meant for developers to use as a platform for testing their apps compatibility and launch on. NOT for use by anyone else.

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 11:32 AM
Thought you were buying an S4 because you "bricked" your phone when you lost your backup and were too lazy to setup as a new device? :rolleyes:

Orlandu
Jun 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
I am running iOS 7, I used the latest version of Skype yesterday for video and voice calls from my iPhone 5 to my wife's iMac. Don't know what you're issue is.

fredthompson
Jun 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
Thought you were buying an S4 because you "bricked" your phone when you lost your backup and were too lazy to setup as a new device? :rolleyes:

Just trying to figure out my options. All of this started because Skype was crashing, then I went to find alternatives, and I couldn't install any apps (now it is installing them randomly - an app I requested over 3 hours ago just finally installed). I probably will have to buy an s4, unless I can find an alternative Skype client since I can't go back to ios6 and have all of my data.

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
Just trying to figure out my options. All of this started because Skype was crashing, then I went to find alternatives, and I couldn't install any apps (now it is installing them randomly - an app I requested over 3 hours ago just finally installed). I probably will have to buy an s4, unless I can find an alternative Skype client since I can't go back to ios6 and have all of my data.

You are one of the most illogical people I have ever encountered on this forum, and that is saying something.

Whether you return to iOS 6 or move to an S4, your data is lost. I do not see how purchasing an S4 is a solution to any of your issues other than the fact that you want one.

Want an S4? Go buy one.

smallnshort247
Jun 13, 2013, 11:42 AM
I'm running ios7 and when I try to view messages in Skype, it crashes. However, it seems to do everything else like video and audio calls just fine. That's what matters most to me till the official iOS 7 comes out.

Orlandu
Jun 13, 2013, 11:43 AM

Why can't you go back to iOS 6? Put your phone DFU mode (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034), do a restore, then restore from a previous backup (http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/ss/restore-iphone_3.htm).

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 11:45 AM
Why can't you go back to iOS 6? Put your phone DFU mode (http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=1034), do a restore, then restore from a previous backup (http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/ss/restore-iphone_3.htm).

He can. He's just looking for someone on the internet to justify his desire for an S4. He's not interested in a legitimate solution.

fredthompson
Jun 13, 2013, 11:50 AM
I am running iOS 7, I used the latest version of Skype yesterday for video and voice calls from my iPhone 5 to my wife's iMac. Don't know what you're issue is.

Have you tried the text chat features? As soon as you click on "recents" it crashes.

----------

He can. He's just looking for someone on the internet to justify his desire for an S4. He's not interested in a legitimate solution.

A legitimate solution would entail not losing all of my SMS's, and that's just for starters. Apparently the Apple fanboys bristle at the mere thought that someone might switch.

Orlandu
Jun 13, 2013, 11:51 AM
A legitimate solution would entail not losing all of my SMS's, and that's just for starters.

Restoring from a backup does not lose your SMS chat history, it restores everything.

fredthompson
Jun 13, 2013, 11:52 AM

For whatever reason, when I synched after iOS 7 install, it overwrote my iOS 6 backup. That backup no longer exists.

cjmillsnun
Jun 13, 2013, 11:52 AM
A legitimate solution would be not to install a developer preview on your main device...

fredthompson
Jun 13, 2013, 11:54 AM
A legitimate solution would be not to install a developer preview on your main device...

Agreed, but here I am. Wow, this forum is full of helpful insights. Back on topic, DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A 3RD PARTY SKYPE CLIENT THAT WILL WORK ON IOS 7? I would really appreciate if anyone knows of one and could point me in the right direction. Don't need anymore snarky answers, would just like some help.

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 11:55 AM
A legitimate solution would entail not losing all of my SMS's, and that's just for starters. Apparently the Apple fanboys bristle at the mere thought that someone might switch.

Ha, I couldn't care less what device you use. The S4 looks nice. You could move to a rotary phone and I'd be just fine.

I "bristle" at the fact that you somehow believe purchasing an S4 solves the problem of having to setup iOS 6 from scratch because you lost your backup.

In either situation, you are starting at zero.

Orlandu
Jun 13, 2013, 11:58 AM
For whatever reason, when I synched after iOS 7 install, it overwrote my iOS 6 backup. That backup no longer exists.

Then you're clueless and should not be using a smartphone or just trolling, as Fivedots has been saying. I'll try one more time to test you out. Post screen shots of you trying to do this and it not showing previous back ups:

Use this page (http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/ss/restore-iphone_3.htm) for instructions. Select a backup from before you installed iOS 7. You should even be able to go back to iOS 6 and restore from your iOS 7 back up since all it's backing up are contacts, SMS history, call history, and app data. It won't upgrade back to iOS 7 if you restore from a backup done on iOS 7.

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 12:00 PM
It won't upgrade back to iOS 7 if you restore from a backup done on iOS 7.

To this point - I can confirm that iCloud won't allow you to restore an iOS 7 backup to iOS 6. Not sure about iTunes.

fredthompson
Jun 13, 2013, 12:08 PM
Then you're clueless and should not be using a smartphone or just trolling, as Fivedots has been saying. I'll try one more time to test you out. Post screen shots of you trying to do this and it not showing previous back ups:

Use this page (http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/ss/restore-iphone_3.htm) for instructions. Select a backup from before you installed iOS 7. You should even be able to go back to iOS 6 and restore from your iOS 7 back up since all it's backing up are contacts, SMS history, call history, and app data. It won't upgrade back to iOS 7 if you restore from a backup done on iOS 7.

With respect to your assertion that I should "be able to go back to iOS 6 and restore from your iOS 7 back up" it does not work. It comes up with a message saying that the software on the phone is too old to be used with the backup. I even tried modifying the plist file to try to fool it into thinking the version was correct, but it then said that the backup was corrupted.

With respect to your insults, the attitude of most of the people in this forum has sealed my decision to move to an S4. I've heard about "Apple Fanboys" in the past but this is the first time I have had the unfortunate experience of interacting with them. So, while the outcome was different than I imagined, this has been a productive experience. I would not want to be lumped in with most of you. Now I am starting to understand the people who have a visceral negative reaction when I tell them I have an iPhone.

Enjoy your buggy phones and your snarky forum.

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 12:12 PM
With respect to your assertion that I should "be able to go back to iOS 6 and restore from your iOS 7 back up" it does not work. It comes up with a message saying that the software on the phone is too old to be used with the backup. I even tried modifying the plist file to try to fool it into thinking the version was correct, but it then said that the backup was corrupted.

With respect to your insults, the attitude of most of the people in this forum has sealed my decision to move to an S4. I've heard about "Apple Fanboys" in the past but this is the first time I have had the unfortunate experience of interacting with them. So, while the outcome was different than I imagined, this has been a productive experience.

Enjoy your buggy phones and your snarky forum. I'm moving to an S4.
I think you're mistaking "people with logic" for "fanboys". You came here looking for a reason to buy an S4 and you got it. Congrats.

I'm glad you had the courage to try out the beta and I'm sorry it didn't work out for you. You are correct that you can't install an iOS 7 backup to an iOS 6 device, yes, I've tried it. And I believe that somehow, some way your old iOS 6 backup was lost in the shuffle. Things happen, seems plausible.

My single point of contention is that you keep saying that moving to an S4 is for some reason easier than setting everything up fresh on iOS 6. This is precisely the same amount of work and results in the same amount of data loss.

Orlandu
Jun 13, 2013, 12:17 PM
With respect to your insults, the attitude of most of the people in this forum has sealed my decision to move to an S4. I've heard about "Apple Fanboys" in the past but this is the first time I have had the unfortunate experience of interacting with them. So, while the outcome was different than I imagined, this has been a productive experience. I would not want to be lumped in with most of you. Now I am starting to understand the people who have a visceral negative reaction when I tell them I have an iPhone.

Enjoy your buggy phones and your snarky forum.
Buggy phones? iOS 6 runs just fine and has very few bugs. You're trying to justify switching to an S4 because of a bad experience from using an early developer beta iOS version, having issues getting your SMS history and contacts restored on the previous, very stable, version and want to switch to a different phone where all your contacts and SMS/Skype chat history will be lost anyways? You're not making sense, that's the reason for the snark and insults.

Jare
Jun 13, 2013, 01:20 PM
Just give up on this guy already, he is a lost cause.

And his whole "I'm going to go get an S4" is just a ploy for attention anyways.

Amhisaw
Jul 9, 2013, 12:56 PM
Wow...the point of a beta is just that...it's testing to see what works and what doesn't. You should never put it on your main device unless you're absolutely certain of what you're doing. That being said, I did get the beta and even installed beta 3 last night. I love it. Even with some of the bugs and glitches it is still smooth. I have left my iCloud backup off on this device in case something happens. I back up to iTunes every night an I manually add my contacts to iCloud. Safeguards...the best way to handle a beta. Now, after all that, I too would like to know if there is an all in one chat app that includes Skype for iOS 7 if anyone has found it. Thanks!

xgman
Aug 5, 2013, 07:16 PM
What a bunch of asses in this thread..... Seriously. Guy needed some advice and got pummeled. Nice going.. :rolleyes:

C DM
Aug 5, 2013, 09:00 PM
Discounting the majority of the the thread prior to this, although I haven't tried it myself, I believe that multi-IM apps like "imo messenger" and/or "Trillian" have support for Skype messaging at least, and might be worth trying to see if they will work in iOS 7.

Switchback666
Aug 6, 2013, 01:59 AM
Several apps on the store support skype IM but no voice/video call.

revildevil2000
Aug 6, 2013, 11:28 AM
I'm in the same boat on iOS7 Beta 4. Can do video calls and stuff, but can't check messages. Also, I'm sorry that a majority of people in the thread were a complete waste of your time. They were a waste of my time as well, which is why I'm posting.

However, they are right. iOS7 is meant for developers. ...and? He asked for a 3rd party software, not to be ridiculed about how he shouldn't be using the beta. You all act as if he just shot a family of four. Get over yourselves.

Discounting the majority of the the thread prior to this, although I haven't tried it myself, I believe that multi-IM apps like "imo messenger" and/or "Trillian" have support for Skype messaging at least, and might be worth trying to see if they will work in iOS 7.

I tried a couple of apps, and I think IM+ PRO allows you to use Skype through the paid version. Trillian, if I'm not mistaken doesn't support skype on mobile versions, but I'll try it again. It's been a while. imo messenger doesn't support skype unfortunately.

Here's a list of app's I've tried that don't support Skype:

eBuddy
imo messenger
IM+
Trillian

It's not many, but I didn't do a whole lot of research at the time. Feel free to add to the list or suggest one that may work.

Edit: I tried IM+ PRO. It works :D It's $2.99, but the chat function is fully operational. No crashes, no bugs. I don't think you can make calls with it, for I havent found a button to, but the normal Skype app can.

waterskier2007
Aug 6, 2013, 01:53 PM
Some people are reporting that skype no longer crashes in iOS 7 beta 5. Just saw it posted somewhere YMMV

C DM
Aug 6, 2013, 02:06 PM
I'm in the same boat on iOS7 Beta 4. Can do video calls and stuff, but can't check messages. Also, I'm sorry that a majority of people in the thread were a complete waste of your time. They were a waste of my time as well, which is why I'm posting.

However, they are right. iOS7 is meant for developers. ...and? He asked for a 3rd party software, not to be ridiculed about how he shouldn't be using the beta. You all act as if he just shot a family of four. Get over yourselves.

I tried a couple of apps, and I think IM+ PRO allows you to use Skype through the paid version. Trillian, if I'm not mistaken doesn't support skype on mobile versions, but I'll try it again. It's been a while. imo messenger doesn't support skype unfortunately.

Here's a list of app's I've tried that don't support Skype:

eBuddy
imo messenger
IM+
Trillian

It's not many, but I didn't do a whole lot of research at the time. Feel free to add to the list or suggest one that may work.

Edit: I tried IM+ PRO. It works :D It's $2.99, but the chat function is fully operational. No crashes, no bugs. I don't think you can make calls with it, for I havent found a button to, but the normal Skype app can.Well, that's odd, I'm quite sure that at least imo messenger had Skype chat support for sure, but it seems like it's not there in the latest version.

Prabas
Aug 6, 2013, 02:07 PM
Everything is working now. Can access everything and click everything without crashing the app.

c0LdFire
Aug 6, 2013, 02:10 PM
Apparently the Apple fanboys bristle at the mere thought that someone might switch.

No, in reality people just want you to shut the hell up and buy whatever makes you happy.

xgman
Aug 6, 2013, 02:12 PM
good news!

buckers
Aug 6, 2013, 02:12 PM
Some of the comments on this thread are embarrassingly childish.

With respect to your insults, the attitude of most of the people in this forum has sealed my decision to move to an S4. I've heard about "Apple Fanboys" in the past but this is the first time I have had the unfortunate experience of interacting with them.

For the record, I've just tried Skype on Beta 5, on an iPad Mini, and so far it's working a-okay.

C DM
Aug 6, 2013, 02:19 PM
Some people are reporting that skype no longer crashes in iOS 7 beta 5. Just saw it posted somewhere YMMVSounds that takes care of this thread (finally).

xgman
Aug 6, 2013, 06:34 PM
My skype doesn't ask for permission to use the microphone on the ipad 3 and so it is useless still. The iphone skype low re app does work on the ipad though, sort of but crashes. So I'd say this issue is not fixed.

C DM
Aug 6, 2013, 06:44 PM
My skype doesn't ask for permission to use the microphone on the ipad 3 and so it is useless still. The iphone skype low re app does work on the ipad though, sort of but crashes. So I'd say this issue is not fixed.So what part of the app doesn't work? Can you go to privacy settings and see if anything related to microphone needs to be changed there?

As far as the original issue in the thread--Skype crashing when accessing recent/messages, at last that seems to be resolved.

xgman
Aug 6, 2013, 06:51 PM
So what part of the app doesn't work? Can you go to privacy settings and see if anything related to microphone needs to be changed there?

As far as the original issue in the thread--Skype crashing when accessing recent/messages, at last that seems to be resolved.

I'll check, but since the mic works elsewhere incl Skype for iphone app, I don't know what else it could be except the new mic access feature not working with skype for ipad. Also the ipad takes so long to boot as to be almost unusable.

edit: yes, THANKS, the stupid privacy setting had the mic off. Go figure.

Now if I could get Weather Channel to work and . . etc.. :rolleyes:

C DM
Aug 6, 2013, 06:54 PM
I'll check, but since the mic works elsewhere incl Skype for iphone app, I don't know what else it could be except the new mic access feature not working with skype for ipad. Also the ipad takes so long to boot as to be almost unusable.

edit: yes, THANKS, the stupid privacy setting had the mic off. Go figure.

Now if I could get Weather Channel to work and . . etc.. :rolleyes:What's with The Weather Channel? Seems to work OK (at least on the iPhone, and based on somewhat limited use of the app).

xgman
Aug 6, 2013, 06:57 PM
What's with The Weather Channel? Seems to work OK (at least on the iPhone, and based on somewhat limited use of the app).
On the ipad it just stuck on the splash screen. Same report as others have had for a while now. The biggest problem I'm having is the 3 minutes to boot to desktop time.

C DM
Aug 6, 2013, 06:58 PM
On the ipad it just stuck on the splash screen. Same report as others have had for a while now. The biggest problem I'm having is the 3 minutes to boot to desktop time.The slow boot issue is an odd one--some people have really quick boots and others really slow now.

xgman
Aug 6, 2013, 07:01 PM
I don't get what Apple is up to. I mean the ios 6 is a stable well behaved os. 5 betas in and it's like just to get some slick icons they have tried to reinvent the wheel and now lots of stuff doesn't work or doesn't work as good as before, Is this really progress? Yes I know it's beta, but why not start with your best and improve instead of going back and introducing loads of new problems? I just don't get it....

Kevsta26
Aug 6, 2013, 07:14 PM
Skype works on iOS 7 Beta 5 now for me.