PDA

View Full Version : Animations need to go or be fixed

hello12
Jun 13, 2013, 11:40 AM
This has probably been posted here before, but I don't have time to read every post.

One of the major issues with iOS 7 is the animations. When you unlock the phone, or click on a folder, the animation is just way too long, which makes clicking the app a slower process and annoying.

I took my friends phone with iOS 6 and noticed one big thing iOS needs, and that is quick and fresh animations that we have on iOS6 and below, like when the apps came in fast when you first open the phone.

I don't have a way of giving feedback about this... But if I am noticing it, I am SURE someone that is able to give apple good feedback, will...

As for the new icons - I have grown to like them, but I think they can be brushed up a little bit with better colors and maybe better designs too (like safari needs one for example)

bbfc
Jun 13, 2013, 11:50 AM
This is the first beta. Apple have said that this is a work in progress and the UI will change throughout the beta period. The animations will no doubt be sped up as the bugs are worked out.

gmanist1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:56 AM
This has probably been posted here before, but I don't have time to read every post.

One of the major issues with iOS 7 is the animations. When you unlock the phone, or click on a folder, the animation is just way too long, which makes clicking the app a slower process and annoying.

I took my friends phone with iOS 6 and noticed one big thing iOS needs, and that is quick and fresh animations that we have on iOS6 and below, like when the apps came in fast when you first open the phone.

I don't have a way of giving feedback about this... But if I am noticing it, I am SURE someone that is able to give apple good feedback, will...

As for the new icons - I have grown to like them, but I think they can be brushed up a little bit with better colors and maybe better designs too (like safari needs one for example)

They'll tweak it with time.

hello12
Jun 13, 2013, 07:41 PM
They'll tweak it with time.

One of my biggest complaints so far, so we'll see.

Tyler23
Jun 13, 2013, 07:51 PM
One of my biggest complaints so far, so we'll see.

This is the first beta, as the others have said. There will be a beta every two weeks or so until the final version. Things like this are very common especially with the earliest betas, they get cleaned up over time.

It's a non-issue, it will be smooth by release.

tymaster50
Jun 13, 2013, 08:01 PM
Do you not know what a beta is????

M87
Jun 13, 2013, 08:07 PM
Steve Jobs would never have allowed a beta to have slow animations.

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 08:18 PM
This is the first beta, as the others have said. There will be a beta every two weeks or so until the final version. Things like this are very common especially with the earliest betas, they get cleaned up over time.

It's a non-issue, it will be smooth by release.Do you not know what a beta is????It seems like the underlying point is that this doesn't really look like a bug or something that's not smooth or not quite right. The animations seem to be working as designed, it's just that the design of these new animations makes them noticeably longer than before.

So, if the actual underlying design will change, then perhaps this might get changed. If not, unless this is truly some bug (which it doesn't seem to be), it might very well not be changed.

Tyler23
Jun 13, 2013, 09:27 PM
It seems like the underlying point is that this doesn't really look like a bug or something that's not smooth or not quite right. The animations seem to be working as designed, it's just that the design of these new animations makes them noticeably longer than before.

So, if the actual underlying design will change, then perhaps this might get changed. If not, unless this is truly some bug (which it doesn't seem to be), it might very well not be changed.

I realize I misread (or mis-assumed) something about the OP. I thought it was referring to the choppiness of the animations. At least for me, nearly every new animation stutters, and something ends up being temporarily misaligned. I don't know if they'll shorten the animations but I suspect they'll be much more smooth by the final release.

gloss
Jun 13, 2013, 09:49 PM
Steve Jobs would never have allowed a beta to have slow animations.

Heh.

3bs
Jun 13, 2013, 09:57 PM
It seems like the underlying point is that this doesn't really look like a bug or something that's not smooth or not quite right. The animations seem to be working as designed, it's just that the design of these new animations makes them noticeably longer than before.

This. I do hope they decide to change the animations somehow. They work fine on my iPhone 5 but they're too slow in my opinion.

Like you said, it doesn't look like they're slow because of lag but because that's the way they wanted them to look.

MikeWilson
Sep 18, 2013, 04:11 PM
It's RTM now, not beta.

And that unlock animation is incredibly annoying compared to iOS 6.

My only complaint, but I hope Apple fix this.

C DM
Sep 18, 2013, 05:15 PM
It's RTM now, not beta.

And that unlock animation is incredibly annoying compared to iOS 6.

My only complaint, but I hope Apple fix this.Yeah, where are all the "it's a beta" people now? :rolleyes:

kas23
Sep 18, 2013, 05:20 PM
Yeah, where are all the "it's a beta" people now? :rolleyes:

They've changed to the i"OS 7 is a work in progress" crowd.

Todd B.
Sep 18, 2013, 05:32 PM
How is it too long? You click on it and, before you can blink, the animation occurs and you're in the app.

People just want to complain about anything.... no matter how baseless.

C DM
Sep 18, 2013, 05:42 PM
How is it too long? You click on it and, before you can blink, the animation occurs and you're in the app.

People just want to complain about anything.... no matter how baseless.Just because something doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it's not there. Feel free not to read and participate in discussion about issues that you don't experience and/or care about.

Daveoc64
Sep 18, 2013, 05:47 PM

It's an artificial delay that was not there before.

Adding an artificial delay to technology that's supposed to be about speed is just stupid.

Todd B.
Sep 18, 2013, 06:20 PM
It's an artificial delay that was not there before.

Adding an artificial delay to technology that's supposed to be about speed is just stupid.

It's 2 seconds at the most. You barely notice it....

C DM
Sep 18, 2013, 06:23 PM
It's 2 seconds at the most. You barely notice it....Again, you barely notice it, not the others who notice it and don't like it.

pdqgp
Sep 18, 2013, 06:24 PM
they're slow because of lag but because that's the way they wanted them to look.

My 4s doesn't lag. They are pretty quick. Will compare side by side with my wife's 4s that's on 6.0.3 later tonight. Overall though, no issues IMO.

darngooddesign
Sep 18, 2013, 06:27 PM
I like the animations and the speed doesn't bother me.

Daveoc64
Sep 19, 2013, 06:48 AM

I certainly do.

I LOATHE any UI where there's something on the screen that you should be able to press, but you can't.

In this case it's down to a cosmetic decision, which is what makes it so bad.

ronaldsmith
Sep 19, 2013, 07:14 AM
I certainly do.

I LOATHE any UI where there's something on the screen that you should be able to press, but you can't.

I agree with you 100%

The fluidity and speed of the IOS is what set Apple apart. I personally felt that my iPad was intuitive to my touch, now there's just no connection. A disappointment, but am hoping that there are changes in the future. :)

On a side note:- this comment is not a personal attack on any users on this forum, but merely my (and many others) personal opinion. It may be good for you, but not for others.

abshole765
Sep 19, 2013, 07:35 AM

A lot can happen in two seconds, or in this case, doesn't happen.

Tamagotchi
Sep 19, 2013, 07:40 AM
You are right, this has been talked about in the forums since the first beta.

Apple definitely skulks around the forums, but gave no S. about the complaints during beta. Hopefully one day they'll listen and change the animation speed.

darngooddesign
Sep 19, 2013, 07:44 AM
I certainly do.

It always annoyed me that I couldn't launch an app in that second it took to open a folder in iOS 6. I've got places to go and things to do so the distinct lack of functionality was costing me money.

Arran
Sep 19, 2013, 08:03 AM
The unlock animation is the sort of thing that looks great in the confines of a serenely quiet design studio. For sure it will impress other designers in an academic way.

Out in the real world it's a dangerous distraction. Milliseconds count where people are driving fast cars on crowded roads or navigating busy airports, dragging a suitcase behind them in one hand, a heavy bag in the other whilst running to get to their gate. These scenarios seem to have been overlooked.

elixxxer
Sep 19, 2013, 09:03 AM
I upgraded yesterday, having never used any of the beta seeds, and the overlong animation durations are driving me bananas. Especially obnoxious are animations subsequent any physical button presses, which now seem to have a delay before the lengthy animation even begins. There are many improvements, a few steps back, and then there are the animations. I'm hoping they'll be sped up in a future update, but I doubt it.

sunnnshin
Sep 19, 2013, 10:13 AM
I do not have an overwhelming issue with the animations. They do not really seem slow to me on my 4S. I just think they are unnecessary and step away from the entire look and feel of crispness that I thought Apple was all about.

It would be nice if you could just turn them off if you wish, and leave them if you wish. So I agree with the original post that they should go or be fixed. I do not like when I don't have options.

psylence2k
Sep 19, 2013, 10:33 AM
the delay the animations bring make me feel like I'm using an Android phone, the "snappiness" is what I loved about IOS , now it's sacrificed for presentation purposes.

Practicality has been traded off for Cosmetics.

burgerking2
Sep 20, 2013, 01:42 PM
The inability to disable these animations is my #1 problem with iOS 7:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1638996

Everything else I can live with and is just a change in the design that I'll eventually get used to.

I don't want to fly into each app and fly out of each app, makes me dizzy and gives me headaches. And I'm not the only one. Makes the iPhone feel like a video game, not a phone.

This is a dealbreaker for me. Apple, please give us the ability to disable!

Todd B.
Sep 20, 2013, 01:45 PM
Good lord, the melodrama from some of the forum posters is crazy.

Now we're complaining about animations that last mere seconds? If that's the worst thing about iOS7, I don't think Apple is too concerned (nor should they be).

thejadedmonkey
Sep 20, 2013, 02:07 PM
Yeah, where are all the "it's a beta" people now? :rolleyes:

I was an "it's a beta" person, and you won't see me defending Apple. The point of a beta is to be a work in progress that may or may not function properly. Slowness is not only tolerated, but expected given the amount of debug code they run.

For a GM to still run like the beta is unacceptable.

But that's the differentiation between a beta and a GM, and I suspect that anyone with a software background would feel the same way.

MacMilligan
Sep 20, 2013, 02:10 PM
It always annoyed me that I couldn't launch an app in that second it took to open a folder in iOS 6. I've got places to go and things to do so the distinct lack of functionality was costing me money.

That half second of lost time must amount to at least $0.001.

----------

Now we're complaining about animations that last mere seconds? If that's the worst thing about iOS7, I don't think Apple is too concerned (nor should they be).

Not even seconds, we are talking about microseconds.

APhillyApple
Sep 20, 2013, 02:14 PM
Some of you posters are tripping. The time in the animation is negligible.

CTHarrryH
Sep 20, 2013, 02:15 PM
I don't think that if I hadn't read this and other threads I would have noticed it. I could certainly do without but it is probably issue 999,999,999 for me.

benji888
Sep 20, 2013, 02:22 PM
If these animations are too slow for you, perhaps the issue is you. You might need to lower your caffeine intake.

I'm appalled at the lack of appreciation for how fast things work today compared to 10 years ago. ...3 years ago, for that matter.

Seriously, if a second is too slow for you, you need to travel back in time before smart phones, before cell phones, and see how you deal with it.

OMG this thread (and all like them) is ridiculous!

:rolleyes:

----------

Yeah, I think Apple is doing pretty ef n well to have complaints like this instead of "my iphone is crashing", or some other real issue.

WordMasterRice
Sep 20, 2013, 02:26 PM
If these animations are too slow for you, perhaps the issue is you. You might need to lower your caffeine intake.

I'm appalled at the lack of appreciation for how fast things work today compared to 10 years ago. ...3 years ago, for that matter.

Seriously, if a second is too slow for you, you need to travel back in time before smart phones, before cell phones, and see how you deal with it.

OMG this thread (and all like them) is ridiculous!

----------

Yeah, I think Apple is doing pretty ef n well to have complaints like this instead of "my iphone is crashing", or some other real issue.

Care to turn in your current phone at go back to an original iPhone? Certainly these new fangled phones are too fast for you.

The biggest most of the animations don't bother me, but the unlock really does. I normally swipe 4 or 5 times to get to the second page of apps before it does anything. It just stares at me. Further enhancing the annoyance is that the last swipe that isn't recognized seems to happen even after all the icons are settled.

burgerking2
Sep 20, 2013, 02:28 PM
Let me be clear, it's not the 1 or 2 second (or microsecond) delay that is the issue for me. Or a matter or aesthetics.

It's that the zooming in/out motion causes nausea-type issues for a portion of the population.

I realize it sounds silly to people who aren't affected, but this is a real problem. Some people can't watch 3D movies or play FPS video games like Halo for this reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness

"The symptoms are often described as quite similar to that of motion sickness, and can range from headache, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and sweating. Research done at the University of Minnesota had students play Halo for less than an hour, and found that up to 50 percent felt sick afterwards."

All I'm asking for is the ability to disable this animation. For the record, I like iOS 7.

poplars
Sep 20, 2013, 02:30 PM
I think its hilarious that there are people defending the animations.

Its simply not as snappy as it was in ios 6, i was expecting a performance improvement upgrading, not a performance malfunction.

How is there any room to even argue about this? Its glaringly obvious....

nefan65
Sep 20, 2013, 02:37 PM
I think its hilarious that there are duplicate threads going on about the same things over and over and over and over...

I'd hate to see some of the folks on these boards be faced with a real world problem. I think they'd hide under a table, rocking back and forth. Or at the other end of the spectrum; running into the streets with a firearm shooting anything that moves.

But, this too shall all pass in the next week or two. These same tirades went on about: iOS 5, iOS 6, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, and the iPhone 5. The good thing is we can all look forward to the gnashing of teeth with iPhone 6, and iOS 8. Stay tuned!!!! :D

benji888
Sep 20, 2013, 02:39 PM
I think its hilarious that there are people defending the animations.

Its simply not as snappy as it was in ios 6, i was expecting a performance improvement upgrading, not a performance malfunction.

How is there any room to even argue about this? Its glaringly obvious....
"malfunction" ... are you serious? That is melodramatic.

what is with you people? Are you on uppers?

Everyone that thinks the animations are too slow need to leave your idevices at home and go for a walk, a long slow walk, go with someone that talks a lot and moves slowly so you have to listen and interact with this person.

I for one, am getting off my computer, can't handle any more of this B.S.

jonnyb098
Sep 20, 2013, 02:54 PM

Everyone that thinks the animations are too slow need to leave your idevices at home and go for a walk, a long slow walk, go with someone that talks a lot and moves slowly so you have to listen and interact with this person.

We do live in a time of everyone being ADD and wanting instant gratification. I do agree they could be sped up a tad but its far from being the digital apocalypse.

C DM
Sep 20, 2013, 03:26 PM
Honestly, those who don't care about this, why even wasting your time and our time posting about it? Go on about your day and participate in things you actually care about. No input needed.

----------

I for one, am getting off my computer, can't handle any more of this B.S.Thank you. Doing it a little late in the game, but at least doing the right thing. Hopefully others in similar circumstances will follow this great example.

sviato
Sep 20, 2013, 03:33 PM
I've been using 2.5x the iOS6 animations speeds on my 4S, can't imagine going to something even slower than iOS6 1.0 speeds :rolleyes:

There should definitely be an options to turn off animations or speed them up, otherwise let's hope the new jailbreak comes soon!

abshole765
Sep 20, 2013, 03:51 PM

Go use iOS6, unlock the screen and open an app. Takes no time.

iOS7 you have to wait, even though you already tapped. This shouldn't be happening.

It has nothing to do with not appreciating how things are, it's that it's a step backwards in terms of speed & use.

benji888
Sep 20, 2013, 04:01 PM

iOS7 you have to wait, even though you already tapped. This shouldn't be happening.

It has nothing to do with not appreciating how things are, it's that it's a step backwards in terms of speed & use.
I don't have iOS 6 anymore, but, You all are so focused on nitpicking this little thing you don't realize how much faster iOS 7 is overall...starting with how much faster apps open.

marksman
Sep 20, 2013, 04:29 PM
I like them

----------

Yeah don't see that at all

Haserath
Sep 20, 2013, 05:36 PM
I decided to show the difference myself.

iPhone 3GS on iOS6 vs iPad 4 on iOS7:

sVH6eunsuZ8

poplars
Sep 20, 2013, 06:17 PM

Its simply not working the way it should, snappier is all i want.

Come on this is ridiculous, ios has always been associated with snappy and smooth, how are we going to just go into acceptance mode when it comes to ios 7.

I realize that we as americans often accept when stupid things happen, but come on if you spend 700 dollars on an ipad and 8 months later the update lags, that is NOT ok.

burgerking2
Sep 20, 2013, 06:37 PM
It's finally getting some press, hopefully Apple listens and offers an option to disable the motion for those of us affected by vertigo:

http://www.stuff.tv/apple/ios-7s-mot...-symptoms/news

http://www.thetechchat.com/2013/09/1...tion-sickness/

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...3545594&type=1

Daveoc64
Sep 20, 2013, 06:40 PM
If these animations are too slow for you

You're just not getting it!

I can see an icon on the home screen after closing an app.

I can tap that icon.

Nothing happens.

Why? Because the animation hasn't finished yet.

THAT is the problem! iOS 7 adds an artificial delay which results in a broken UI.

C DM
Sep 20, 2013, 07:00 PM

I can tap that icon.

Nothing happens.

THAT is the problem! iOS 7 adds an artificial delay which results in a broken UI.I wouldn't worry about trying to prove something to someone who simply doesn't care. I don't even see any reason for those people to even post in these kinds of threads (aside from maybe at most once to point out that they don't see the issue themselves, or, more to the point, don't care about it).

kwokaaron
Sep 20, 2013, 10:50 PM
I upgraded yesterday, having never used any of the beta seeds, and the overlong animation durations are driving me bananas. Especially obnoxious are animations subsequent any physical button presses, which now seem to have a delay before the lengthy animation even begins. There are many improvements, a few steps back, and then there are the animations. I'm hoping they'll be sped up in a future update, but I doubt it.

The button press delay might be due to the fact that you have the triple home click option enabled. If you turn it off in the accessibility settings it might speed things up. At least it did for me. ;)

simonmet
Sep 21, 2013, 11:00 PM

I can tap that icon.

Nothing happens.

THAT is the problem! iOS 7 adds an artificial delay which results in a broken UI.

Spot on. The animations are way too slow. They need to be two to three times quicker to complete. There are also issues with interacting with animating objects such as closing apps in the app switcher.

It's not acceptable to feel like you can work faster than the phone is letting you. Fortunately the fixes should be very easy so hopefully we get them in one of the first few updates.

I get the feeling this issue is starting to draw a little attention, though Apple will probably focus on fixing the widely publicised security issues in the first patch. It would be good if they could or at least recognise and promise to update the slow animations in the first patch.

Drunken Master
Sep 21, 2013, 11:51 PM
Or you could just slow your roll.

EJ8
Sep 22, 2013, 12:01 AM
It's finally getting some press, hopefully Apple listens and offers an option to disable the motion for those of us affected by vertigo:

Why do none of your links work?

phpmaven
Sep 22, 2013, 12:06 AM

I can tap that icon.

Nothing happens.

When I close an app I can't even manage to tap an icon on the home screen before the animation stops unless I really try hard. I have to try quite a few times with an unnaturally quick movement of my hand. Having said that, it would be nice if you could shut the animations off if you wanted to.

EJ8
Sep 22, 2013, 12:15 AM
When I close an app I can't even manage to tap an icon on the home screen before the animation stops unless I really try hard. I have to try quite a few times with an unnaturally quick movement of my hand. Having said that, it would be nice if you could shut the animations off if you wanted to.

I did this too. I tried over and over with multiple apps, opening and closing them trying to hit the icon before it closed. No way it was happening. It closes faster than I can possibly get to it or another icon. Every time the app I clicked opened - unless I missed an icon altogether.

That being said with all the complaints about this, is it possible some people are experiencing much slower animations than others? They seem fine to me. But the above test may say more than my opinion.

pk7
Sep 22, 2013, 01:21 AM
I made a hasty video showing me going back and forth between some frequently used apps without using the multitasking.

I had no issues with delay or lag. This is an iPhone 5s running iOS 7.0.1.

9FUH2nZoSMA

Krissypantz2828
Sep 22, 2013, 01:46 AM
I made a hasty video showing me going back and forth between some frequently used apps without using the multitasking.

I had no issues with delay or lag. This is an iPhone 5s running iOS 7.0.1.

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9FUH2nZoSMA)

This has been confirmed with many techies who also made videos stating that there is a slow down with animations, and yes even on the iPhone 5s.

Also, your video is irrelevant because the apps on the dock are faster then anywhere else. I noticed this a while back.

Some people just don't notice little things, or to some it's not bothersome. But there is definitely a slow down compared to iOS 6.

!GS51!
Sep 22, 2013, 02:50 AM
This has been confirmed with many techies who also made videos stating that there is a slow down with animations, and yes even on the iPhone 5s.

Also, your video is irrelevant because the apps on the dock are faster then anywhere else. I noticed this a while back.

Some people just don't notice little things, or to some it's not bothersome. But there is definitely a slow down compared to iOS 6.

Yea i noticed when i put an app in the dock it just opens up somewhat faster, not sure why but its annoying to have apps that open faster than others

Velin
Sep 22, 2013, 03:25 AM

Over the life of a device, which you may use for several hours per day, those "mere seconds" really start to add up. It is an annoyance, built upon an annoyance, until it really starts to get in the way.

The animations need to go. They slow down the OS and add nothing to the user experience, and do nothing to make the device a superior product. To the contrary, they degrade performance.

If they only serve to degrade performance, but offer no benefits, they should be eliminated. And yes, those "mere seconds," multiplied by hundreds of times per day, multiplied by days and weeks of use, then multiplied by the years for the life of the product: it matters.

For you not to understand this is precisely why you are not an OS designer or engineer.

Max(IT)
Sep 22, 2013, 03:34 AM
Just because something doesn't bother you, doesn't mean it's not there. Feel free not to read and participate in discussion about issues that you don't experience and/or care about.

You can say it's too slow, then they'll fix it and someone could say it's too fast ...

He's right: people here always complain about something. Apple, and every manufacturer on the world, just can't fit for the taste of everyone.
You don't like it ? Vote with your money and buy something else instead of whining about everything (it's not referred specifically to you).

----------

Its simply not working the way it should, snappier is all i want.

Come on this is ridiculous, ios has always been associated with snappy and smooth, how are we going to just go into acceptance mode when it comes to ios 7.

I realize that we as americans often accept when stupid things happen, but come on if you spend 700 dollars on an ipad and 8 months later the update lags, that is NOT ok.
Who says snappier is the way IT SHOULD ???
I'd prefer a nice animation, for instance ...

It's a matter of personal taste, after all.
And we are speaking about microseconds of delay (definitely NOT seconds).

valypan
Sep 22, 2013, 03:34 AM

I tried to unlock the screen and open an app and it opens every time the first time I tap. Iīve never been known to be slow on tapping on my phone (6 yrs training will make you fast! hehe), but I canīt say I have this problem. Now if we talk about having to wait a sec for the animations to play when apps are closed and opened, I though that was just part of the nice cool graphic effects. Perhaps they will make them faster in a future update, but I am thinking if they are faster, arenīt they likely to be even more disturbing to look at, i.e. added motion sickness to those who suffer from it already? :)

Max(IT)
Sep 22, 2013, 03:35 AM

Are you going to speak about this ridiculous "motion sickness by a wallpaper" on every thread here ?
This topic is about the animation speed ...

Girlwithaphone
Sep 22, 2013, 04:48 AM
New to the forum. I'm usually a lurker of those places.
I found the post looking for similar experiences to mine with iOS7.

First, I' like to say I own several Ipad devices, my husbands works on a macbookpro etc etc. (I prefer working on a PC but I love apple for the phones and the Ipad)

I like the fresh look of iOS7, and I love mots of the new fonctions (wasn't a fan of old clocks and wood panneling) even if there's too much white, too bright girly colors etc but I feel really let down by the uselesness of the animations.

Design over functionnality ? It's a wrong move. iOS6 was faster than iOS7 : how is this an improvement ???

The zoom-in zoom-out gives makes me dizzy, the calendar is plain bad etc etc.

Did not installed it on the iPad, I'm waiting for animations-off option.

Oh, and I am amazed by all the apple groupies who bash people who post about real problems with this update.

Krissypantz2828
Sep 22, 2013, 05:49 AM
New to the forum. I'm usually a lurker of those places.
I found the post looking for similar experiences to mine with iOS7.

First, I' like to say I own several Ipad devices, my husbands works on a macbookpro etc etc. (I prefer working on a PC but I love apple for the phones and the Ipad)

I like the fresh look of iOS7, and I love mots of the new fonctions (wasn't a fan of old clocks and wood panneling) even if there's too much white, too bright girly colors etc but I feel really let down by the uselesness of the animations.

Design over functionnality ? It's a wrong move. iOS6 was faster than iOS7 : how is this an improvement ???

The zoom-in zoom-out gives makes me dizzy, the calendar is plain bad etc etc.

Did not installed it on the iPad, I'm waiting for animations-off option.

Oh, and I am amazed by all the apple groupies who bash people who post about real problems with this update.

Sometimes you have to learn to block them out lol. I think that some of them intentionally come on here to argue with people's opinions. But as for the slow animations, to most it is a big deal. Apparently it was purposely made that way.

----------

----------

[/COLOR]
Who says snappier is the way IT SHOULD ???
I'd prefer a nice animation, for instance ...

It's a matter of personal taste, after all.
And we are speaking about microseconds of delay (definitely NOT seconds).

The only thing I agree with about your post is that it is definitely personal preference.

----------

Yea i noticed when i put an app in the dock it just opens up somewhat faster, not sure why but its annoying to have apps that open faster than others

LOL I hear yah. Why can't we just put all our apps in the dock. Ha!

lancastor
Sep 22, 2013, 07:06 AM
We have a 64Bit powerful processor and Apple is slowing down the whole UI via a single software setting.

ddublu
Sep 22, 2013, 07:07 AM
The unlock animation is the sort of thing that looks great in the confines of a serenely quiet design studio. For sure it will impress other designers in an academic way.

Out in the real world it's a dangerous distraction. Milliseconds count where people are driving fast cars on crowded roads or navigating busy airports, dragging a suitcase behind them in one hand, a heavy bag in the other whilst running to get to their gate. These scenarios seem to have been overlooked.

"Milliseconds count where people are driving fast cars on crowded roads." Huh? Just think, if iOS7 operated to the standards of this forum people could text while driving.....just faster.

Whatever OS you use please don't text and drive. As an avid fad of technology and driving I've had to make changes while driving. I don't want to be or cause a statistic.

Sending a text takes eyes from the road for avg of 4.6 secs, equiv (@ 55 mph) of driving the length of a football field with your eyes shut.

Do the right thing.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Arran
Sep 22, 2013, 07:20 AM
"Milliseconds count where people are driving fast cars on crowded roads." Huh? Just think, if iOS7 operated to the standards of this forum people could text while driving.....just faster.

Whatever OS you use please don't text and drive. As an avid fad of technology and driving I've had to make changes while driving. I don't want to be or cause a statistic.

Sending a text takes eyes from the road for avg of 4.6 secs, equiv (@ 55 mph) of driving the length of a football field with your eyes shut.

Do the right thing.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I agree entirely. I tried texting once when I was late for a client meeting and just about crashed my rental car. Don't do it.

That said, I use my iPhone daily for music/podcasts in the car. Navigation too.

Max(IT)
Sep 22, 2013, 07:32 AM
People still whining about animations speed and color .... Apple definitely did a good job with iOS 7, if this is the only issue to speak about ....

lancastor
Sep 22, 2013, 08:20 AM
No, Apple didn't a good job. Apple is limiting and slowing done the UI.

We have paid hundreds of dollars/euros for a powerful device, and not for a animation slide show.

Richardgm
Sep 22, 2013, 09:01 AM
Definitely they need to speed them up. I miss fakeclockup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CNzIx8tRIg).

Max(IT)
Sep 22, 2013, 09:10 AM
No, Apple didn't a good job. Apple is limiting and slowing done the UI.

We have paid hundreds of dollars/euros for a powerful device, and not for a animation slide show.

Your opinion .... Nothing wrong to me with those animations.
Previous versions of iOS were good but definitely old styled. Now it's much better to look at it.

apple-cs
Sep 22, 2013, 09:14 AM
It takes so long to switch between apps. 😔

Max(IT)
Sep 22, 2013, 09:28 AM
It takes so long to switch between apps. ��

Here we are: someone newly signed on the forum posting on how bad iOS 7 is ... :rolleyes:

Now what are you speaking about ? So long ??? Two click and a tap and you are in the new app, like before

MalusSylvestris
Sep 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
People still whining about animations speed and color .... Apple definitely did a good job with iOS 7, if this is the only issue to speak about ....

They did a good job and I love most of iOS 7 but I am mystified why they chose to make it slower than it could be. The speed doesn't bother me hugely but it just seems strange that it could be faster and they thought "No we'll deliberately slow it down with an animation."

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
It's actually more ergonomic now. The area you swipe and tap is in a more natural place for your thumb instead of having to reach down to the bottom with your left thumb or switch hands if your phone is in your right hand.

Girlwithaphone
Sep 22, 2013, 09:39 AM
It's actually more ergonomic now. The area you swipe and tap is in a more natural place for your thumb instead of having to reach down to the bottom with your left thumb or switch hands if your phone is in your right hand.

I like the new unlock (fade in unecessary though)
The zoom-in/zoom-out vertigo inducing, inceptionesque ill inspired effect when opening/closing apps is only a (bad) designer dream become reality at our expenses. (it's slow, it's nauseating, I know I said it before but I did not buy a device to experience that kind of useless nuisance.)

darngooddesign
Sep 22, 2013, 09:44 AM
And I enjoy them but I can see where reduced motion eliminating them would be good. But them some people would say I wNt them, but faster or maybe a different animation so I guess apple needs to give us a five setting toggle for simple animations.

AceMason
Sep 22, 2013, 09:50 AM
I love iOS7 and my new 5S but I do agree about the animations slowing things down a little. It's not a huge deal but it is definitely noticeable and I know they can make it faster.

apple-cs
Sep 22, 2013, 01:13 PM
Here we are: someone newly signed on the forum posting on how bad iOS 7 is ... :rolleyes:

Now what are you speaking about ? So long ??? Two click and a tap and you are in the new app, like before

Yeah but I hope they make it snappier, I really do.

SeenJeen
Sep 22, 2013, 01:59 PM

The point being made here is that it's slower than iOS 6; this is a clear example of form over function.

Just because you're slow at using your phone, doesn't mean everyone else is.

SakuraSuki
Sep 22, 2013, 02:04 PM
The point being made here is that it's slower than iOS 6; this is a clear example of form over function.

Just because you're slow at using your phone, doesn't mean everyone else is.

Animation is one way to cover long loading time so that your phone or devices will look more smooth. This design is invented so that you won't feel slowness

SeenJeen
Sep 22, 2013, 02:09 PM
Animation is one way to cover long loading time so that your phone or devices will look more smooth. This design is invented so that you won't feel slowness

So are you saying that apps are slower in iOS 7 than 6?

SakuraSuki
Sep 22, 2013, 02:14 PM
So are you saying that apps are slower in iOS 7 than 6?

Not App are slower. Some older devices will run iOS 7 slower. I do feel iPhone 4S runs slower on iOS 7 and Safari reload much more frequently

inselstudent
Sep 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
IMO it's no real issue. How often do you switch apps anyway? There's more to do on a smartphone :)

SakuraSuki
Sep 22, 2013, 02:25 PM
IMO it's no real issue. How often do you switch apps anyway? There's more to do on a smartphone :)

Yes. There is more to do on a smartphone, so people switch app more frequently for different things. Unless Apple implementing true multi windows multitasking, people have to switch between apps

greenythebeast
Sep 22, 2013, 02:27 PM

You contradicted yourself in your own post...

wepiii
Sep 22, 2013, 02:52 PM
I thought this thread was pretty stupid... But I just happened to be on my moms iphone 5 today that is still on ios 6 and I couldn't believe how fast it felt. I decided to play around with them side by side... Her 5 beat my 5s on boot up by 3 or 4 seconds. And with all apps closed from multitask, opening apps was about a second faster on her 5 on ios 6 than my 5s on ios 7. I certainly don't think it's the end of the world or anything, but it can't be a good thing when an older less powerful device running older software is faster than the latest and greatest. Remember Windows Vista?

inselstudent
Sep 22, 2013, 03:19 PM
You contradicted yourself in your own post...

Yes. There is more to do on a smartphone, so people switch app more frequently for different things. Unless Apple implementing true multi windows multitasking, people have to switch between apps

Come on, how often do you switch apps then? Every 10 seconds or what? Any less frequent and the switcher delay becomes a non-issue. But hey, that's just my opinion. And please, do me the favor and don't twist my words so they suit you. Of course, you *could* understand me like you did, but obviously I didn't mean it that way. By more to do on a smartphone I meant precisely something other than switching. I, too, use many apps on my phone, but it's not like I keep switching around without ever actually using an application, but maybe that's just me then. But as I said twice already, it's my opinion.

valypan
Sep 22, 2013, 03:57 PM
I thought this thread was pretty stupid... But I just happened to be on my moms iphone 5 today that is still on ios 6 and I couldn't believe how fast it felt. I decided to play around with them side by side... Her 5 beat my 5s on boot up by 3 or 4 seconds. And with all apps closed from multitask, opening apps was about a second faster on her 5 on ios 6 than my 5s on ios 7. I certainly don't think it's the end of the world or anything, but it can't be a good thing when an older less powerful device running older software is faster than the latest and greatest. Remember Windows Vista?

This a good point. Perhaps we will see improvement in a future update then.

propita
Sep 22, 2013, 04:11 PM
I told my husband that I wouldn't be upgrading his phone. He doesn't handle this himself. He asked, "why not?" I showed him my phone with iOS7

greenythebeast
Sep 22, 2013, 04:13 PM
Come on, how often do you switch apps then? Every 10 seconds or what? Any less frequent and the switcher delay becomes a non-issue. But hey, that's just my opinion. And please, do me the favor and don't twist my words so they suit you. Of course, you *could* understand me like you did, but obviously I didn't mean it that way. By more to do on a smartphone I meant precisely something other than switching. I, too, use many apps on my phone, but it's not like I keep switching around without ever actually using an application, but maybe that's just me then. But as I said twice already, it's my opinion.

If you don't like your opinion being criticized then I'd suggest not giving it in the future.

Spacial
Sep 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
Apple has an unusually tolerant fan base. As such they don't concern themselves with bugs that don't brick the phone. Everything else they know we'll wait for.

bryanheitman
Sep 22, 2013, 04:16 PM
I am in complete agreement with those here who want to see this fixed. At this point I am fairly close to restoring iOS6 as I find the functionality unacceptable. To create these "bugs" you need to use the interface rather quickly but I immediately found these issues interfering with my experience, for example here are a few things you can try to re-create these issues:

1.) From unlocked state, push on/off button on top, then immediately push the home button to turn display on locked, it won't recognize this action. You'll have to click home 2x or 3x. If you delay between then it works. This is clunky and unacceptable.

2.) Open an app and immediately begin interacting with it, your tap or gesture will not be recognized. Instead, you'll have to repeat the tap or gesture a second later.

3.) Unlock phone and immediately click on a app, it won't open. You'll have to tap on it a couple of times.

4.) I have also found iOS7 requires tapping of app icons closer to the top section of the app, if you tap towards the button of the app icon or text nothing happens. It seems the tap area was reduced.

The people who will have issues are those that perform gestures and taps without looking at them. We learn the location and action to perform a task in the blind because the brain doesn't need to see it, we learn where it is and what to do.

Why are we so upset? Because Apple gave us functionality in prior iOS releases they took away, that's why. Now the interface feels buggy because of the taps and gestures they make us repeat.

There is some wonderful new features in this release like post-processing of HDR (no more waiting) and I truly hope they fix this, soon. ...but I am not confident they will.

age234
Sep 22, 2013, 04:42 PM
The most amazing technology in history, wasted on the worst generation in history.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=aba_1332656862

Zellio
Sep 22, 2013, 04:44 PM
I can't believe that there are people whose entire lives revolve around cheerleading for a corporation. Why can't you admit that Apple does wrong? Why must you guys defend ever decision they make?

burgerking2
Sep 22, 2013, 04:46 PM
Are you going to speak about this ridiculous "motion sickness by a wallpaper" on every thread here ?
This topic is about the animation speed ...

Yes, I will post on every single thread if this helps bring this to apple's attention for a quick fix.

But to keep it on topic, personally I don't care about the 1 or 2 second delay or the animation speed. I'm just hoping for an option to enable/disable it because I and many others are genuinely feeling sick. Please read some of the media links I posted if you care to learn more about this real issue, instead of ridiculing people who are feeling ill.

Why is it "ridiculous"? Just because you aren't affected, the issue is bogus and we're all making this up?

Btw it's not just newbies like me who are posting about having problems with this. There are plenty of regular long-time forum members who are affected as well.

apolloa
Sep 22, 2013, 04:50 PM
I can't believe that there are people whose entire lives revolve around cheerleading for a corporation. Why can't you admit that Apple does wrong? Why must you guys defend ever decision they make?

Erm? Because it's a cult? Why else do you think people laid reefs by the sides of stores because a billionaire they never ever met died? It is a cult.

As for those wishing to roll back to iOS 6, I have read you cannot do that now, Apple turned of the authentication for iOS 6 late Friday night.

Zellio
Sep 22, 2013, 04:53 PM
Yes, I will post on every single thread if this helps bring this to apple's attention for a quick fix.

But to keep it on topic, personally I don't care about the 1 or 2 second delay or the animation speed. I'm just hoping for an option to enable/disable it because I and many others are genuinely feeling sick. Please read some of the media links I posted if you care to learn more about this real issue, instead of ridiculing people who are feeling ill.

Why is it "ridiculous"? Just because you aren't affected, the issue is bogus and we're all making this up?

Btw it's not just newbies like me who are posting about having problems with this. There are plenty of regular long-time forum members who are affected as well.

It's ridiculous because you dared to say the name of Apple in vain ! :rolleyes:

BOOmBoTz401
Sep 22, 2013, 05:03 PM
At first it didn't really bother me....but starting to utterly hate the animations!

Wish I could still drop to iOS 6

bryanheitman
Sep 22, 2013, 05:16 PM
At first it didn't really bother me....but starting to utterly hate the animations!

Wish I could still drop to iOS 6

Just do a restore...

Krissypantz2828
Sep 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
Just do a restore...

That won't help, trust me. I've done it many times. These slow animations are something that Apple purposely constructed. It may become better with time, but it's definitely intentioned.

bryanheitman
Sep 22, 2013, 05:18 PM
That won't help, trust me. I've done it many times. These slow animations are something that Apple purposely constructed. It may become better with time, but it's definitely intentioned.

Restore to last backup on iOS6.

Krissypantz2828
Sep 22, 2013, 05:20 PM
Restore to last backup on iOS6.

You can't. Apple is not signing 6.1.3 or 6.1.4

Trust me I tried doing this about a day ago.

It won't matter anyways because this is something Apple intentionally did. It is the same on the iPhone 5S

BOOmBoTz401
Sep 22, 2013, 05:20 PM
Just do a restore...

A restore? What would that do

I'm already on a clean install on an i5 and as I understand we cannot downgrade to iOS 6 anymore as they aren't signing prior to 7? Tried earlier to be greeted with error 3194

Unless you guys know something I don't😵

Krissypantz2828
Sep 22, 2013, 05:26 PM
A restore? What would that do

I'm already on a clean install on an i5 and as I understand we cannot downgrade to iOS 6 anymore as they aren't signing prior to 7? Tried earlier to be greeted with error 3194

Unless you guys know something I don't😵

Nothing will make it go faster. This is what we have to except. I am the most obsessive person I know and will stop at nothing to fix something, and even I have accepted that this is not a hardware or software "issue". It was purposely done as part of Apple's design. In the future it will probably become a little faster.

BOOmBoTz401
Sep 22, 2013, 05:46 PM
Nothing will make it go faster. This is what we have to except. I am the most obsessive person I know and will stop at nothing to fix something, and even I have accepted that this is not a hardware or software "issue". It was purposely done as part of Apple's design. In the future it will probably become a little faster.

One would have to assume apple will do something with this, seems to be the most complained about topic on 7.

I'd love to see an option to shut it off completely
Time will tell I guess

Krissypantz2828
Sep 22, 2013, 05:49 PM
One would have to assume apple will do something with this, seems to be the most complained about topic on 7.

Time will tell I guess

I'd love that option as well.

MistahMumford
Sep 22, 2013, 07:08 PM

It's like 1.5 (counting 1-1000) but it's definitely noticeable but I'm still loving iOS 7

wepiii
Sep 22, 2013, 07:19 PM

Time will tell I guess

They won't. The only real hope IMO is a jailbreak tweak to speed up the animations.

inselstudent
Sep 23, 2013, 02:29 AM
If you don't like your opinion being criticized then I'd suggest not giving it in the future.

I wasn't criticized, was I? You just said I was contradicting myself in my post, which I wasn't. I'm not even looking for a fight, so please just accept my deepest apologies and be done with it :)

St3mpy
Sep 23, 2013, 12:27 PM
Came across this thread through google. IN MY OPINION (because apparently identifying it it as your personal opinion is important here) the lock screen animation needs to go. It does nothing to add to the user experience, it simply decreases the performance of the only measurable feature of a lock screen: the time it takes to get past it. What adds insult to injury is muscle memory. The first time I turned on the phone after installing ios7, I slid and punched my pin before the screen even faded on. Very annoying.

Sep 26, 2013, 09:50 AM
This is the first beta. Apple have said that this is a work in progress and the UI will change throughout the beta period. The animations will no doubt be sped up as the bugs are worked out.

You are WRONG. The animations have not been sped up in the GM.

burgman
Sep 26, 2013, 09:55 AM
Your opinion .... Nothing wrong to me with those animations.
Previous versions of iOS were good but definitely old styled. Now it's much better to look at it.
Is it the UI or is it apps that have not been updated causing the problem?

cmichaelb
Sep 26, 2013, 09:56 AM

On what device? They are quick on mine.

nefan65
Sep 26, 2013, 09:57 AM

C DM
Sep 26, 2013, 09:59 AM
On what device? They are quick on mine.On all devices since Apple designed them to last longer for looks.

cmichaelb
Sep 26, 2013, 10:10 AM
On all devices since Apple designed them to last longer for looks.

They are pretty quick on the 5S and I didn't think they were that bad on my 4S.

C DM
Sep 26, 2013, 10:13 AM
They are pretty quick on the 5S and I didn't think they were that bad on my 4S.They are still longer lasting than they are in iOS 6 and before where they are more snappy (appropriately fitting in this case).

bbfc
Sep 26, 2013, 01:28 PM

The animations are QUICKER than the first beta, which was what my original comment was referring to.

C DM
Oct 22, 2013, 02:54 PM
Looks like the improvements to the reduce motion accessibility setting in iOS 7.0.3 effect animations now as well, more or less removing them and simply using a faster fade in/out type of effect.

wepiii
Oct 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
Looks like the improvements to the reduce motion accessibility setting in iOS 7.0.3 effect animations now as well, more or less removing them and simply using a faster fade in/out type of effect.

The fade in and out effect is still sooooo slow. Now you have to choose between parallax and slow animations or no parallax and slow fade in and outs. If I'm gonna wait I might as well see the animations.

sbursik
Oct 22, 2013, 03:17 PM
Would be nice if the animations had a speed slider and parallax was its own setting.

C DM
Oct 22, 2013, 03:36 PM
The fade in and out effect is still sooooo slow. Now you have to choose between parallax and slow animations or no parallax and slow fade in and outs. If I'm gonna wait I might as well see the animations.The fade effect seems faster than zooming. It's not instant or really fast, but at least faster than zooming, at least it seems to be, which is one of the important things.

As far as separate controls, yes, it would be better if they had separate ones, but in the overall sense this is more of an improvement the way it is now compared to what it was like before.