PDA

View Full Version : Is the new UI growing on you?

sigamy
Jun 13, 2013, 12:16 PM
After a few days of use, is iOS 7 growing on you? Or do you hate it even more?

Simplicated
Jun 13, 2013, 12:26 PM
I have always appreciated the new design, and after using it for a day, I think I cannot go back to iOS 6 now.

BvizioN
Jun 13, 2013, 12:32 PM
My iPhone 5 battery is draining so quickly that I have to charge it twice a day but I still won't downgrade to iOS 6. This is a beta version so it is expected. Almost everything about it is so much better then iOS 6 IMO (many would argue about the icons but am OK with that)

bgro
Jun 13, 2013, 12:33 PM
I"m definitely getting more used to it and certain things are growing on me. However, I still prefer the look and feel of iOS6 right now. It's hard to tell too because you don't know whether some "features" are intended (such as the dots being removed from the calendar) or if they just haven't been implemented in the beta yet.

Running very smooth tho, using it as my everyday driver.

Cpnyc88
Jun 13, 2013, 12:35 PM
I loved it when I saw the keynote but I hated it when I first installed.
Now it's starting to grow on me. I could care less about icons right now, but what really bothers me is the black dividing lines in control center, and the cluster *** that Messages has become. The "< Messages" next to Contact Name in the heading looks terrible. But I have faith. This is going in the right direction, and with some fine tuning everyone complaining right now like it's the end of the world will not look back at iOS6.

fivedots
Jun 13, 2013, 12:36 PM
Now it's starting to grow on me. I could care less about icons right now, but what really bothers me is the black dividing lines in control center, and the cluster *** that Messages has become. The "< Messages" next to Contact Name in the heading looks terrible. But I have faith. This is going in the right direction, and with some fine tuning everyone complaining right now like it's the end of the world will not look back at iOS6.

They really shouldn't have shipped the beta with that wallpaper, and I agree that there is too much text at the top of the messages app.

Cpnyc88
Jun 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
They really shouldn't have shipped the beta with that wallpaper, and I agree that there is too much text at the top of the messages app.

I'll agree with the fact that it's a little too colorful and bright when looking at it by itself. But after grabbing another iPhone 5 with iOS6 and comparing them side by side I already feel like iOS6 looks like its from 2007.....and well because it is. Unless iOS7 looks exactly the way it does today come Fall, then no one should be whining.

GoGa
Jun 13, 2013, 12:40 PM
Yes. Hated it with passion when I first saw it & first installed it. Now, after a nearly two days of usage I love it.

PBF
Jun 13, 2013, 12:43 PM
It's definitely growing on me, you know, down there, in between. :)

johnnnw
Jun 13, 2013, 12:44 PM
Wish I could install it on my dinosaur 3GS

madmaxmedia
Jun 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
Now it's starting to grow on me.

All this for me too. I think I will like the official release when animations are smoother.

I do want 2 things:
1. Make the folder backgrounds match the wallpaper, as they do when you open a folder.
2. Shadow/emboss the app and folder labels on the home screen, so they are easier to read against lighter backgrounds.

kmj2318
Jun 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
The first time I seen it, I was excited, however, it felt really weird to me. Of course, I knew that it was just because I was so used to the old way. Only after a few days of using it, iOS 6 looks so odd to me.

Cpnyc88
Jun 13, 2013, 12:50 PM
Another thing I can't stand is the look of the buttons when receiving a call. That red text on transparent background is hideous.

TexasChemE
Jun 13, 2013, 12:50 PM
No need to grow on me, I always liked the UI.

SeenJeen
Jun 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
iOS 7 feels very half-assed and inconsistent at the moment. It'll improve over time, but iOS 6 is much more polished, obviously.

ra4oasis
Jun 13, 2013, 12:52 PM
It has really grown on me. I still think the icons could use some work in some cases, and the default background combined with the new color scheme is too candy colored for my taste, but it looks much better with just a nice photo for the background. And the lock screen is deliciously simple and beautiful.

virginblue4
Jun 13, 2013, 12:59 PM
I loved it when I first saw it and now after using it for 2 days, I love it even more!

A very beautifully designed system, looking forward to testing it out on the iPad!

iOS 6 looks very odd and outdated now.

Semester
Jun 13, 2013, 01:00 PM
My iPhone 5 battery is draining so quickly that I have to charge it twice a day but I still won't downgrade to iOS 6. This is a beta version so it is expected. Almost everything about it is so much better then iOS 6 IMO (many would argue about the icons but am OK with that)

Is battery drain a common problem with this beta?

Cpnyc88
Jun 13, 2013, 01:01 PM

Yes, for me atleast. I have it plugged into charger all day at work lol

SeenJeen

Yes, since developer debug overhead is running and reporting data back to Apple, and there's some memory leaks, too. I have a 4S, and its much slower than iOS 6... iOS 7 is probably unbearable on the iP4.

Sirious
Isn't it amazing how something new instantly makes the previous thing look old?
Thats how iOS 7 feels to me.
I've always liked it - since the moment they announced it and showed it off.

angemon89
Jun 13, 2013, 01:02 PM
My phone was almost dead by 6pm, when usually I can make it to the next morning without charging. So, yeah...

F123D
Jun 13, 2013, 01:09 PM
It's definitely growing on me, you know, down there, in between. :)

You better have a doctor check on that. Might be serious.

dt808
Jun 13, 2013, 01:13 PM

Have you tried General > reset > reset all settings?

My battery was like that until I did that, now its perfectly normal.

futbalguy
Jun 13, 2013, 01:16 PM
Wish I could install it on my dinosaur 3GS

Well it runs terribly on the iphone 4 so I dont think you really want it.

CarlosQG
I liked it since the keynote, but now I just love it, specially the blurry dock and effects. They're beautiful. Not speaking as a designer but a common user.

darngooddesign
I love the UI. The icons, which are just a small aspect of the UI need some work.

silvermx5
Jun 13, 2013, 01:19 PM

Not really (mixed feelings)

The Calendar is rubbish (lost week view (!), why?), no "dot" like in ios6 remebering that is an appointment in a given day, you can only see anything if go "inside" one day after the other... (beta error stuff?)

The letters are too thin making hard to see unless you have the phone near you nose (nobody cared about using in the dashboard when driving?) or "too white" background.

The delele button when dialing a number has gone from down near numerical keyboar to up and is minusculous (next bigger size iphone in intended). Not that usable...

Still getting familiar with those flashy colors of the icons (they don't look premium as ios6 ones) Premium feeling set Apple apart from other competitors.. Now "we're" just another, like others (os wise)...

Other issues are normal beta stuff: battery drainage, shutt down, etc.

XboxMySocks
Jun 13, 2013, 01:22 PM

The more you cycle the battery the better the OS will get. At 3 hours of usage & 7 hours of being unplugged, (fairly heavy usage) I'm at 64%. Not bad at ALL.

BvizioN
Jun 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
Have you tried General > reset > reset all settings?

My battery was like that until I did that, now its perfectly normal.

I have not, thanks for the tip. Just going to try it now.

PNutts
Jun 13, 2013, 01:38 PM

Not growing on me.

Yes, but in almost all cases it's a problem with an app, not the core iOS.

chrf097
Jun 13, 2013, 01:40 PM
I was very dubious about the icons at first, but after installing it and seeing it myself I've come to really like them.

Yeah they aren't perfect and there is room for improvement but overall they are a HUGE improvement over iOS 6's icons.

DDustiNN
Jun 13, 2013, 01:41 PM

I've been using it since Monday night. Is it growing on me? No.

I loved it from the very beginning, so there's no need to grow :D

I now think iOS 6 is 100% ugly and I would absolutely hate to go back.

AQUADock
Jun 13, 2013, 01:45 PM
I was very dubious about the icons at first, but after installing it and seeing it myself I've come to really like them.

Yeah they aren't perfect and there is room for improvement but overall they are a HUGE improvement over iOS 6's icons.

That's an overstatement. iOS 7s icons are the ugliest I've seen, they need more than some improvement.

chrf097
Jun 13, 2013, 01:54 PM
That's an overstatement. iOS 7s icons are the ugliest I've seen, they need more than some improvement.

I disagree.

nas2344
Jun 13, 2013, 01:56 PM
i think its great! i couldn' go back to ios 6

snowcrash
Jun 13, 2013, 02:01 PM
No. Kind of the opposite for me. The more I use it the more I dislike it. It's just too bright, fonts too thin, and way too cartoony, the transitions are cool but get tired quick, the moving backgrounds were neat but quickly turned off. I understand it's only the beta and that's cool, but if this is how the final will look (minus the obvious bugs and occasional formatting glitches) I may jump ship or just JB so I can theme it all away. I admit I wanted iOS6 changed and appreciate the things like the new notifications and quick toggles but the overall look and feel just puts me off a little too much.

beaniemyman
Jun 13, 2013, 02:06 PM
the new look is awesome, so may new features and the software is really fast and fluid, who would hate it?

Cayennr
Jun 13, 2013, 02:09 PM
Yes, it is. If you ask me they did a good job there. Maybe the icons are not the best, but thatís the least thing that concerns me. I installed iOS 7 the next day after the WWDC and since then Iím using it on my daily phone. I donít experience some big issues except for small glitches in the animations (which I must say they are very smooth when they do work as they should), 2 or 3 times rebooted itself, and a few apps that donít work properly, but of course, thatís expected for a beta software. There are small things improved like fullscreen FaceTime (you have to tap the screen to reveal ďEnd,Ē ďMuteĒ and the switch camera button), the App Store feels faster, the silence always option in DNDÖ

212rikanmofo
Jun 13, 2013, 02:13 PM
I always loved the new iOS 7 interface, now looking back at iOS 6, it looks so dated and dare I say, less attractive?

Yes there are refinements that need to be made, I agree, especially with certain parts of the UI and Icons. There's another thread on here that shows a few mockup designs that are cleanedup by a designer and I really hope Apple pays attention to those mockups because they look amazingly clean.

Here's what I'm referring to:

http://www.mac4ever.com/images/5777_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg
http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3573_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg
http://www.mac4ever.com/images/5780_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg
http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3576_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg
http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3579_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.png

Cgdoc519
Jun 13, 2013, 02:16 PM
I am loving it more the more I use it. I am very happy with the changes. Some of the icons need work IMHO but over all it feels much more fluid to me now.

zbarvian
Jun 13, 2013, 02:18 PM
Nope. Still generic and ugly as ever.

Trius
Jun 13, 2013, 02:41 PM

Mine isnt bad.. Getting better battery life on iOS7 than I did on JB iOS6.

acosmichippo
Jun 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
iOS 7 feels very half-assed and inconsistent at the moment. It'll improve over time, but iOS 6 is much more polished, obviously.

Weird, I felt iOS 6 was WAY more inconsistent. They changed bits and pieces every year, until everything felt so disjointed, none of the stock apps shared many UI elements at all.

Stuke00
Jun 13, 2013, 03:14 PM

I don't think it is consistent.

4 hours standby and 1 hour of usage has me at 93%. We shall see.

bchery21
Jun 13, 2013, 03:56 PM
I've been using it since Monday night. Is it growing on me? No.

I loved it from the very beginning, so there's no need to grow :D

I now think iOS 6 is 100% ugly and I would absolutely hate to go back.

100% ugly? Well I still think the dock in iOS 6 looks nice (not that I'm saying I have an issue with iOS 7's dock).

street.cory
Jun 13, 2013, 04:00 PM
Even if it isn't growing on me I'm going to have to get used to it.

Let me be clear, I enjoy the OS so far, love my iPhone, but am bothered by some of the design decisions and lack of options.

However, what I've found being a user in both iOS and Android is that I would rather deal with the lack of options and design decisions than move phone platforms.

lewismayell
Jun 13, 2013, 04:03 PM
Loved it from the first sight of the lock screen at the keynote and I continue to love it more each day

Patriot24
Jun 13, 2013, 04:04 PM
I found it appealing out of the gate. After a few days of usage I have come to appreciate the improved utility, speed, and overall experience of it as well.

DDustiNN
Jun 13, 2013, 04:30 PM
100% ugly? Well I still think the dock in iOS 6 looks nice (not that I'm saying I have an issue with iOS 7's dock).

Yep. I don't like the iOS 6 dock. When I had mine jailbroken, I was using a different dock that looked much sleeker and cleaner. It was quite nice.

I do not like the iOS 7 dock at all, as it currently is (the solid bar). Once they make it translucent like it's supposed to be, I think it will look much better.

Patriot24
Jun 13, 2013, 04:31 PM
Yep. I don't like the iOS 6 dock. When I had mine jailbroken, I was using a different dock that looked much sleeker and cleaner. It was quite nice.

I do not like the iOS 7 dock at all, as it currently is (the solid bar). Once they make it translucent like it's supposed to be, I think it will look much better.

It is translucent (at least on iP5).

Using a 4 or 4s?

techn0lady
Jun 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
I'm liking the new UI after the first impression of surprise with it. An unexpected benefit if that I can now turn the screen brightness way down (longer battery life) because of the overly bright UI overall. In fact I became uncomfortable with the new UI with the screen brightness at my original setting.

Jakimo
Jun 13, 2013, 04:44 PM
I've gotta say, Apple is a GREAT artist that stole GREAT ideas - and shaped it to be their own.

Jony is the bombs, betw the new Mac Pro, iOS 7 and Mavericks - wow.

Next year will be the year of the Mac, when OS X is done and over. I can't wait to see what'll happen next. One concern of mine, how much will the 4k Apple monitor be - that'll obviously be around soon to go with the Mac Pro. Yowzers!

---

But yah, iOS 7 is drop dead gorgeous on a retina device - it's simple, slick and really cool. And for the record: an OS is NOT about its icons. Yeesh. =)

Xeyad
Jun 13, 2013, 06:20 PM
well, I have a lot of iOS devices around, so I installed it on an iPhone 4S and using it nonstop for the past few days. I'm not going to talk about the bugs or lags because this isn't the thread for it, and that's mostly going to be ironed out in the final release.

So let's talk about the design and overall functionality of iOS 7.

Things I like:

- Lock Screen: There is no doubt that this looks a lot more modern and it's nicer looking overall. Some users may get confused by the bottom arrow, but I think just unlocking it once or twice will do the trick.

- Animations: iOS 7 really shows off some nice animations all over the OS that makes it more 'alive' in a way, and more enjoyable overall. I think they should speed up some of those animations, because overall it feels slower just jumping from app to app or from folder to folder.

- Panoramic Wallpapers and Parallax: If you haven't tried this yet, then it's a must! Panoramic wallpapers are really nice in iOS 7, and parallax is just a neat little effect to make the icons stand out more.

- Today in Notification Center: This is Apple's Google Now competitor, and it shows you all the important information that you might look for (weather, stocks, calendar, places near you, etc..). We still don't know much about it, but it's a nice thing to have I guess.

Things I hate:

- Icons: I just need to know what happened in Apple's design department that made them approve the Safari icon. Yes, some people might say that icons aren't really that important, but I disagree. Icons are the first thing consumers will see in iOS 7, it's the first thing you'll see in the morning after unlocking the screen. Icons are important. Yes, in the end, we as people will get used to anything, but that's not design. I want to say 'wow' to something when I first see it, just how people say wow when they see a Ferrari. They look childish, and maybe they're trying to shake off the image that they're users are old people? I don't know. What I know that they need to be changed before final release.

- White Interface: Way too much white here. Phone, Messages, Mail, Safari, Music, Calendar, Photos, Maps, Clock, Notes, GameCenter, Settings, iTunes Store and App Store are ALL WHITE. Sometimes, as a user, I feel lost in which app that I'm using because they all look the same. For my taste, this isn't desirable. And I'd like to see an option to change the colors like WindowsPhone, because this looks a bit odd with a black iPhone, and if multiple color iPhones are coming this year, then I hope we'll see such an option.

- Visual Representation Replaced with Text: I think this is what I hate most about iOS 7. Flat is one thing, but what Apple has done is remove a lot of visual representation that makes it easy to glance information and replaced it with text that you have to read. Examples: Weather in Notification Center and Siri, as it showed real beautiful icons in iOS 6 is now replaced with text that you have to read to know the weather. In notes, there was a simple + sign to add notes, now it says "New". In the camera app, instead of the still and video icons we had before, we have to read Photo and Video. It's little things like this that add up to make the UI just harder to use and unpleasant to me.

- Font: At first, I disliked the font because it's too thin to read at times, and I still wonder how it'll work on iPad 2 and iPad Mini without retina displays. However, if you go to Accessibility settings, turn on "Enhance Text Legibility" and "Enhance Background Contrast". It fixes any problem with the text if you had one.

- Control Center: It's a great feature, but swiping up from the bottom is the wrong swipe. In feed apps like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter, it creates a problem, as it suddenly pops-up at times because you've swiped from the bottom.

All in all, iOS 7 is pretty much the Windows 8 for iOS. It's a major shift in design, and it feels unfinished and lacks polish. If the final release doesn't fix these issues in the design for me, I may skip this update and wait for iOS 8 when they refine it.

rfrankl
Jun 13, 2013, 06:26 PM
I liked it from the WWDC presentation, and enjoy it while using it. My battery does drain way faster, but I know it's a beta. The one area I don't like is if you click the box say in Safari to send a weblink, the top row of options is nice bright icons and the bottom row is black outlines. Seems to really clash.

Shockwave78
Jun 13, 2013, 06:35 PM
Growing on me a little bit..but

I thi apple should just go back to the original icons and kep everything else about iOS 7.

It's not growing on me enough though because I am actively pursuing a note 2 again.

ionjohn
Jun 13, 2013, 06:53 PM
I just hate iOS 7, I'm happy for you guys but I'll stick with iOS 6

iOS 7 beta 1 = Ugly, slow, battery life sucks, doesn't feature the nicest features...

Jakimo
Jun 13, 2013, 07:31 PM
If the final release doesn't fix these issues in the design for me, I may skip this update and wait for iOS 8 when they refine it.

Thanks for the review, but when I saw this last paragraph I laughed.. yah right, let's see you sit through iOS 7 in all it's under-the-hood goodness, and just skip it. =)

My bet, you'll install!

----------

Just as Maps during navigation has a dark mode, I hope the entire iOS system has a dark mode - that's either automatic with sunrise and sunset, or manually adjustable.

Even in gradients? =)

but a dark mode would certainly be welcomed by all

bboucher790
Jun 13, 2013, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the review, but when I saw this last paragraph I laughed.. yah right, let's see you sit through iOS 7 in all it's under-the-hood goodness, and just skip it. =)

My bet, you'll install!

I'll install, jailbreak, and remove all of the unicorn stuff. Problem solved.

gadget123
Jun 13, 2013, 08:26 PM

iOS 7 beta 1 = Ugly, slow, battery life sucks, doesn't feature the nicest features...

Problem is all future devices will come with IOS7. So it may be either update or leave Apple.

Jakimo
Jun 13, 2013, 10:09 PM
I'll install, jailbreak, and remove all of the unicorn stuff. Problem solved.

Hahahhahha :)

They've gotta do a dark mode.. but if not, I'm certainly sticking around with Apple. Mac Pro is dark.. Hm?!

hoosier205
Jun 13, 2013, 10:12 PM

...someone appears to be missing the very point of an initial beta.

Ram27
Jun 13, 2013, 10:15 PM
...someone appears to be missing the very point of an initial beta.

Yep.

Ive and co. spent ~7 months redesigning the whole thing.

iPhone OS was originally built over 2-3 years.

It's not going to be perfect initially.

gooddog
Jun 13, 2013, 11:14 PM

I was afraid Ive would stick us with a palid, bloodless, khaki, veal of an UI looking like a model airplane before painting and decals.

Instead I saw the most beautimous and fantabulous frosted beauty I could hope for. The translucent layer and the vibrant color palette just blew me away. Let's hope the fine print viz., we might change this and some of it won't work in your gadget ... doesn't come true.

One thing I am thinking: it looks great in a white iPhone. But it might not look as good in a black one: the happy colors would clash with the "bad-boy" look of the black iPhone. I was planning on upgrading to a black 5S , since I have a white 4S now. But after seeing the Keynote, I will absolutely get a white 5S ASAP.

FEATURE REQUEST: Since we are to have frosted layers, why not let us make our folders with our chosen jpeg showing on the folder's icon for instant visual identification for those of us who have trouble reading the tiny captions on the current folders. Also,, a folder ought to look different from a single file: the icon ought to look like a tabbed hanging folder or something equivalent. There is a utility for Rosetta Stone OSX (Leopard) called iCoco that lets me do this easily. A tabbed folder with a translucent jpeg of my choice on it's face is FAR FAR easier to find (especially if I don't remember it's name to key into Spotlight) in a long window full of hundreds of folders.

I have tried to attach a sample of an iCoco folder icon.
Can you tell it's for my automobile files ?

212rikanmofo
Jun 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
It was love at first sight for me while watching WWDC. I find myself turning it on quite often just to take a look at the new sexy UI. I love it. I know it will definitely get better as time passes with each new update. So I'm not worried there. But for a 1st beta, it is looking quite nice to me.

lawhochun
Jun 13, 2013, 11:29 PM
Overall It is definitely growing on me, besides the app icons of course. Also the new animations/transitions are a bit over the top I think, they are slowing things down - hopefully they will smoother and faster in the upcoming betas

Jakimo
Jun 14, 2013, 12:30 AM
Just came across an article that NAILS the GUI/UI debate, Been There, Done That (http://furbo.org/2013/06/11/been-there-done-that/)

gooddog
Jun 16, 2013, 04:55 AM
I always loved the new iOS 7 interface, now looking back at iOS 6, it looks so dated and dare I say, less attractive?

Yes there are refinements that need to be made, I agree, especially with certain parts of the UI and Icons. There's another thread on here that shows a few mockup designs that are cleanedup by a designer and I really hope Apple pays attention to those mockups because they look amazingly clean.

Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images/5777_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3573_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images/5780_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3576_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3579_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.png)

That blue compass is incredibly beautiful.

I studied physics because of my first experience with a compass and a magnet ( yes, yes, so did some Albert guy ... but it's a common affliction ).

Gawd only knows what I will do after this gorgeous compass !

Apple HAS GOT TO USE IT and pay this designer whatever it takes.

And the Safari icon can be re-done, if it is too similar.

This compass stays and the Safari goes.

I never understood why surfing the net is like going to kill innocent animals in Africa to hang their heads on the wall of an unmanly idiot.

I'd rather see a surfboard.

I saved the compass for my photo collection.

Ayemerica
Jun 16, 2013, 05:02 AM
Cc and NS need to look more similar is all I want . It really bothers me that they are so far apart in looks.

gooddog
Jun 16, 2013, 06:21 AM

Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images/5777_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3573_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images/5780_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3576_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.jpg)
Image (http://www.mac4ever.com/images-articles/3579_ces-designers-pas-convaincus-par-ios-7-et-qui-le-redessinent-images.png)

212rikanmofo,

I was looking at the frosted control panel alternative you posted and wondering what the differences were. When I put it side-by-side with Ive's, I saw why it looked better. Mainly, he eliminated unnecessary separator lines around icons. These lines, in Ive's design, act as barricades for the information inside of them.

I don't know why he left a white disk around the Wi-fi bars: it seems just as unnecessary - maybe he thought it needed a ground to help us count the bars. But the huge white disk joins visually with the small white knobs of the sliders that are not related to it.

Also, I would have kept the vertical black line in the music progress bar. It is attractive and, without it, the thin white progress filler is too difficult to follow.

The circles around the icons he took out remind me of a study of the real "backward masking" experiments of the fifties, wherein a block letter was flashed at subjects so briefly that they could perceive it consciously (supraliminally) only 50% of the time. By following the block letter flash with a circle flash, the perception of the preceding block letter dropped drastically even though the circle came after the letter, whence "backward masking" subliminal stimulus. This study was no trendy, urban legend hype. It was a very serious study of human visual perception.

I have a book that I treasure: Envisioning Information by Edward R. Tufte . This book is itself a work of art. I have not found a single typo or other error in it.

It has the most beautiful illustrations of good and bad graphic design I have seen to date.

I hope you can get your hands on a copy; you will really enjoy it.

One of the first sins it warns against is the use of unnecessary boundary lines to demarcate sections of text or icons.

He recommends the use of "white space" instead.

The side-by-side comparisons are very telling.

It seems that the designer whose work you posted read or wrote this book !

Could you please source these images for our convenience ?

I'd love to see more examples of their work.

By the way, don't you think Ive's icon for stocks looks more like the electro-cardiogram of a man in fibrillation ?

A jagged, climbing line with an arrow at the end would suffice and be less macabre.

Thanks,

aenflex
Jun 17, 2013, 01:26 PM
I've used Android religiously for years, and before that BB. I only switched to iPhone Feb of this year. I got the iPhone 5 16GB white after selling my beloved Galaxy S3.
1) I will never go back to Android. Simply stated IOS is smoother, more fluid and more reliable. I've yet to have a crash or F/C. I don't need to go on about that here, clearly. Also, the physical design of the iPhone superior, IMO.

Now that that's out of the way, my take on IOS7:
There are some aspects of Google's OS that I miss, and not many of the items I've longed for since making the switch seem to be incorporated in 7.
That being said, I feel that in 7, Apple has adapted some of Android's better, more crowd-pleasing base features. Swipe gestures, simple OTA sharing, control center. I don't see it as copying. I don't see it as catching up. I see it as Apple's first tentative steps at spreading it's wings under new 'direction'. Maybe it will fail, maybe not. They won't lose my business over it, that's for sure.
As a person new to IOS-sphere, I'm not hooked on the old interface (6.1.4 currently), nor do I feel it was stagnant. And I'm SUPER looking forward to installing 7 on my phone. My partner has the beta-version one of his 5's, and I love it. Personally I really like the colors and one-dimensional icons. Pictures of the UI are not really like having it in hand.
In any event, from a user new to Apple, the reasons I stick with Apple and probably never will revert to Android are simple: physical design, fluidity and reliability. Not innovation and exclusivity. And as long as those three attributes stay strong, I'm going to stick around. In fact I just bought and iPad and I love it too!

LastZion
Jun 19, 2013, 07:49 AM
I was about to start an "official IOS 7 Positive thread" because I love it.

Sure there is some overlapping text, and some emails not showing in lock screen, some delays here and there (imessaging pictures..) but it is a small price to pay. I love it, its beautiful and functional and will only get better.

----------

My battery is better on IOS 7 then on 6. Not by much, but it is noticeable.

AbSoluTc
Jun 19, 2013, 08:14 AM

I agree. iOS 7 is very inconsistent all over. I like the theme and where it's going but they need to refine it and add a little "pop" to it. Right now it's too bland and flat. I just needs a little kick honestly. Not much, just a little. I still like it though. Hopefully the finished product will look a lot better.

saldawop
Jun 19, 2013, 08:15 AM
No. Its not growing on me.I think it is an ugly UI .The icons are ugly, the flat design means you have to be careful what wallpaper you have as some of the text disappears, have a white background and parts of icons disappear, such as calendar.
The dialler is like something from the 90s., whats with the circles, and the circle pictures for Contacts looks dated already.

The folder backgrounds also have that dated look to them, as well as being a waste of space.Whats the point of the extra screen space with the 5 when you only get 9 icons on display?

The music app with its pink text, Safari with its blue unrecognisable icons and the disappearing bar that seems to be a bit of a pain (for me at least), the very fine font used is horrible,especially so on the keyboard.
Parallax on the springboard? It was a good Cydia tweak a couple of years ago, for 5 minutes(at least you can turn it off)

The Vista-esque frosted glass in control centre isnt too bad, but on the dock ,again, depending on wallpaper can be quite ugly.

Thats my take on the looks ,and only the looks of it.

mainer4101
Jun 19, 2013, 08:36 AM
When I first saw the keynote I thought iOS 7 looked a little childish. But after using it I'll have a hard time going back to iOS 6 should I need to for whatever reason. I still have iOS 6 on my iPhone 4, and in going back to that, iOS 6 looks more childish than iOS 7. Everything in 7 just seems to flow better, be a lot smoother, and everything connected. iOS 6 just seems so buttony.

egraphixstudios
Jun 19, 2013, 09:23 AM
Due to the changes in IOS7 - I decided to try out android on a S4. Tried it for a few days- came back running to IOS. Currently back on IOS6- but waiting patiently for a stable IOS7 beta release.

Gogurt48
Jun 19, 2013, 09:59 AM
do want 2 things:
1. Make the folder backgrounds match the wallpaper, as they do when you open a folder.
2. Shadow/emboss the app and folder labels on the home screen, so they are easier to read against lighter backgrounds.

Amen to both.