PDA

View Full Version : MATSHITA UJ-845C in 1.42 ghz mac mini

oober_freak
Nov 4, 2005, 10:30 AM
hey..

I have heard at many places that Matshita UJ-845 is the new 8x DL superdrive in the updated mac minis..

However, my 1.42 ghz mac mini has this superdrive too.. The firmware version is DPP9. Is my superdrive a dual layer one? But it shows as a SL in System Profiler.

How can the same Dvd-writer be a SL in an old Mac Mini and a DL in the updated ones?

Is it due to Apple deliberately restricting it to single layer with the firmware?

California
Nov 4, 2005, 01:35 PM
hey..

I have heard at many places that Matshita UJ-845 is the new 8x DL superdrive in the updated mac minis..

However, my 1.42 ghz mac mini has this superdrive too.. The firmware version is DPP9. Is my superdrive a dual layer one? But it shows as a SL in System Profiler.

How can the same Dvd-writer be a SL in an old Mac Mini and a DL in the updated ones?

Is it due to Apple deliberately restricting it to single layer with the firmware?
From what I've read, uj 845 is dual layer. But not that many people, myself included, on this MR site seem to know that much about superdrives. I admit that though while owning three, I have yet to use one. I have th 815 835 and 845. So I have no idea. Let us know what YOU find out.