PDA

View Full Version : Problems typing in forums, is there a workaround?

snerkler
Jun 13, 2013, 01:34 PM
On numerous forums I use (not on tapatalk etc so full web version) the box you need to type into to post onto forums is bigger than the screen. On iOS 6 the screen followed the cursor so you could see what you're typing, but with iOS 7 it doesn't so it just goes off the end of the screen and you can't see what you're typing until it starts on the next line.

I assume this is a beta bug that will be resolved in due course but I was wondering if anyone's found a fix or workaround in the meantime, either to make the screen follow the cursor while you're typing, or make the text box fit the screen as it does on this forum?

snerkler
Jun 13, 2013, 02:51 PM
After more 'playing around', it seems as though it could be that it zooms in too much when you click on the text box to bring up the keyboard. I've found that once I've clicked on the empty space to start typing and it's zoomed in, if I pinch to zoom out I can get the whole text box on the screen so can follow what I type.

I can't now remember whether iOS 6 just didn't zoom in so much, or whether the screen followed the cursor as I first posted. I've only been using iphone for about 5 years, you'd thought I'd remember :rolleyes:;)

Either way, does anyone know of a fix/workaround other than having to manually zoom out every time I want to type?

DDustiNN
Jun 13, 2013, 02:54 PM
No, iOS 6 definitely zoomed in and then followed the cursor around. So far, this is my only major annoyance with iOS 7. I reported it as a bug on the dev site on Tuesday, and today I got an email saying it's a duplicate (meaning someone else has already reported it). So they're aware, and I hope it's fixed with beta 2 because that's one of the things I do the most on my phone :D

snerkler
Jun 13, 2013, 02:56 PM
No, iOS 6 definitely zoomed in and then followed the cursor around. So far, this is my only major annoyance with iOS 7. I reported it as a bug on the dev site on Tuesday, and today I got an email saying it's a duplicate (meaning someone else has already reported it). So they're aware, and I hope it's fixed with beta 2 because that's one of the things I do the most on my phone :D

Thanks for this, at least I know I'm not the only one getting this. Sure this will be sorted then if it's been logged :)

KeanosMagicHat
Jun 14, 2013, 03:33 AM
Sometimes it randomly flicks up so you can't see what you are typing at all.

I suspect they'll sort it for beta 2 as it's pretty frustrating having to resize all the time.

snerkler
Jun 14, 2013, 06:46 AM
Sometimes it randomly flicks up so you can't see what you are typing at all.

I suspect they'll sort it for beta 2 as it's pretty frustrating having to resize all the time.

I get this too but just assume it's a beta bug. One thing I also get is that the safari address/search bar hides the top of the page and so if you have a search box at the top of the page you can't see it. Google images is the prime example. You can scroll the page down to show the search box, but as soon as you click it to type it hides again under the safari search so you can't see what you're typing :rolleyes:

Jakimo
Jun 14, 2013, 08:52 AM
Work-around: Use Drafts to type, then copy paste

Feed Me
Jun 14, 2013, 08:57 AM
Work around: Install iOS 6 and stop making hundreds of threads about little bugs you found in devloper-only beta software.

snerkler
Jun 14, 2013, 09:05 AM
Work around: Install iOS 6 and stop making hundreds of threads about little bugs you found in devloper-only beta software.

:rolleyes:

It wasn't a rant or a moan about iOS 7, just a question about whether or not someone knew of a way to make the beta version more user friendly in the meantime. Yes I know it's a beta version, and yes I know there's going to be bugs, which I'm 'happy' to deal with. However, if there's a way to make it work better why not? It was far from a "I don't like the icons" thread, or "I don't like this OS" thread.

----------

Work-around: Use Drafts to type, then copy paste

Thanks. I'll try that, although I might just stick to manually zooming out for now.

Jakimo
Jun 14, 2013, 09:06 AM
Agreed.

Many folks are just reporting their problems and findings, and I've seen many solutions and work-arounds.

Seems to me it's the other way around: if you don't like bug reports and discussions, don't read beta forums! :)

Man I'm loving iOS 7, great job so far...