PDA

View Full Version : Does iOS 7 notify when you screenshot your messages?

viperGTS
Jun 13, 2013, 02:23 PM
Lets say I'm talking to a friend, and they say something funny. If I screenshot our conversation, will my friend know? I doubt this is a feature, but it's spreading around on twitter and I'd like to know if this occurs in the betas.

street.cory
Jun 13, 2013, 02:35 PM
As far as I know there is no tracking of a snapshot being taken on anything but on an app like SnapChat.

viperGTS
Jun 13, 2013, 02:44 PM
As far as I know there is no tracking of a snapshot being taken on anything but on an app like SnapChat.
I see. Thank you. :)

lol simma down bro..

OP: No, the other party is not notified when you take a screenshot..

Alright, thanks. :)

squawk7600
Jun 13, 2013, 02:59 PM
nope...just like any other OS...how can ur friend know wat u do on ur phone/computer?

Paradoxally
Jun 13, 2013, 03:09 PM
Twitter is home to the most ignorant people on this planet, so it's natural they would come up with something like this...

tymaster50
Jun 13, 2013, 03:10 PM
You and other twitter users seem really gullible. How would iOS know if someone took a snapshot??? You might be better off staying on iOS 6 y'know .

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 03:23 PM
You and other twitter users seem really gullible. How would iOS know if someone took a snapshot??? You might be better off staying on iOS 6 y'know .Sorry, but that's silly. Of course your OS can know if you took a screenshot, and of course it can easily inform the other party, let's say in Messages (which is also an OS stock app), if it was enabled to do so. Now, why a feature like that would be present or enabled, is another question. But it certainly is more than doable. (Don't forget, even non-OS stock apps like Snapchat can do it, so most certainly OS itself and an OS stock app can do it if it was designed to do it and enabled that way.)

tymaster50
Jun 13, 2013, 03:32 PM
Sorry, but that's silly. Of course your OS can know if you took a screenshot, and of course it can easily inform the other party, let's say in Messages (which is also an OS stock app), if it was enabled to do so. Now, why a feature like that would be present or enabled, is another question. But it certainly is more than doable. (Don't forget, even non-OS stock apps like Snapchat can do it, so most certainly OS itself and an OS stock app can do it if it was designed to do it and enabled that way.)

You're sending messages over snapchat servers though, and how would that work if you were texting someone that doesn't have an iPhone? Oh.

msuman
Jun 13, 2013, 03:35 PM
@Johntucker990: iOS 7 notifies the person & lets them know that you screenshot their messages.. **** just got real I am about to get a flip phone

:rolleyes:

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 03:36 PM
You're sending messages over snapchat servers though, and how would that work if you were texting someone that doesn't have an iPhone? Oh.Well, this thread talks about iOS 7 notifying, so the assumption is that we are talking about both people using an iOS 7 device.

That said, no one said anything about a particular implementation of this, but it doesn't mean that it can't be implemented in some fashion if Apple wanted to do it, that's basically what my original reply was saying.

viperGTS
Jun 13, 2013, 03:36 PM
You and other twitter users seem really gullible. How would iOS know if someone took a snapshot??? You might be better off staying on iOS 6 y'know .

You really have the nerve to call me gullible? Lol. I didn't believe it when I first heard about it. But, instead of just telling the person who said iOS 7 does this that it doesn't, I decided to ask here on MacRumors first. Sorry I didn't want to assume. :rolleyes:

jk000
Jun 28, 2013, 01:38 PM
You're sending messages over snapchat servers though, and how would that work if you were texting someone that doesn't have an iPhone? Oh.

In exactly the same way as read receipts work; over iMessage severs, to other users of iMessage? Oh.

kayloh20
Jun 28, 2013, 01:59 PM
Sorry, but that's silly. Of course your OS can know if you took a screenshot, and of course it can easily inform the other party, let's say in Messages (which is also an OS stock app), if it was enabled to do so. Now, why a feature like that would be present or enabled, is another question. But it certainly is more than doable. (Don't forget, even non-OS stock apps like Snapchat can do it, so most certainly OS itself and an OS stock app can do it if it was designed to do it and enabled that way.)

SnapChat doesn't officially get notified when a screenshot is taking place. Pre-iOS 7, when a user takes a screenshot, any touches on the screen are cancelled (as opposed to end, which gets called when you lift your finger up). SnapChat simply detects this event (since you're required to hold your finger on the screen to view the photo). This is why SnapChat's the only application that can really do this.

In iOS 7, touches are no longer cancelled when a screenshot is taken place.

Of course, you're right in that of course the OS itself knows when a screenshot is taken and certainly Apple's applications can utilize it.

Justdoit-IoS7
Jun 30, 2013, 11:49 PM
In exactly the same way as read receipts work; over iMessage severs, to other users of iMessage? Oh.

Excatly, when read recipients is turned on. iMessage servers ( separate from SMS ) instantly notify's the person your texting that you read it. If its true that ios7 is capable of notifying the party involved of a snap shot when one is taken; Then I for sure hope that it as well has a toggle switch in the settings. Or I refuse to update. I kind of like that I can easily have digital proof ( if need be ) of something someone has said with out them knowing I have it. Call it childish but Snap Shots kill!

----------

What is a sysy?

A little girl in other words.

MattInOz
Jul 1, 2013, 12:19 AM
Given you have no control about the receiving person deleting a message. What would be the point of knowing they took a screen shot?

lsutigerfan1976
Jul 1, 2013, 12:44 AM
Lets say I'm talking to a friend, and they say something funny. If I screenshot our conversation, will my friend know? I doubt this is a feature, but it's spreading around on twitter and I'd like to know if this occurs in the betas.

Why would this matter. I don't normally go around taking screenshots of my conversations. Even if I did, it would prob be if I were being harnessed.

dontpannic
Jul 1, 2013, 12:48 AM
A little girl in other words.

Then you mean sissy then.

imaginex20
Jul 1, 2013, 01:20 AM

but not everyone uses an iPhone. Oh. :rolleyes:

Soundflunky
Jul 1, 2013, 02:31 AM
My favourite TV show is SySy on SyFy.

locoboi187
Sep 11, 2013, 07:46 AM
Some of my friends are convinced iOS 7 notifies you of a screenshot. -_-

C DM
Sep 11, 2013, 03:30 PM
Some of my friends are convinced iOS 7 notifies you of a screenshot. -_-How can someone be convinced of something that doesn't exist? What makes them even think that?

locoboi187
Sep 11, 2013, 04:24 PM
How can someone be convinced of something that doesn't exist? What makes them even think that?

Who knows where these wild accusations come from! They haven't even experienced iOS 7 for themselves yet!