Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Well, my PMG5 originally came with a version of tiger 10.4.(something). The retail disk has 10.4. However when I try to install tiger with the retail disk, it refuses to boot from the disk and goes into a kernel panic.
This is because the disk has 10.4, which is earlier than the version of tiger my G5 came with, which was 10.4.something. I can't find the original restore disks, so I don't know what to do, this is my last resort.
Does anyone know where to get a copy of tiger that was released after when my Late 2005 PMG5 came out?
Please don't respond telling me to get Leopard, I already have it but want to dual boot my G5 to run Tiger and Leopard.
Also to be honest I don't care much about piracy etc so I would greatly appreciate it is someone could provide me with a copy of tiger that I would be able to install on my G5?

Thanks in advance!

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Well, my PMG5 originally came with a version of tiger 10.4.(something). The retail disk has 10.4. However when I try to install tiger with the retail disk, it refuses to boot from the disk and goes into a kernel panic.
This is because the disk has 10.4, which is earlier than the version of tiger my G5 came with, which was 10.4.something. I can't find the original restore disks, so I don't know what to do, this is my last resort.
Does anyone know where to get a copy of tiger that was released after when my Late 2005 PMG5 came out?
Please don't respond telling me to get Leopard, I already have it but want to dual boot my G5 to run Tiger and Leopard.
Also to be honest I don't care much about piracy etc so I would greatly appreciate it is someone could provide me with a copy of tiger that I would be able to install on my G5?

Thanks in advance!

Do you have another machine that can run Tiger? If so, install it on that machine, update it to a version that the PowerMac can run, clone it to the PM HDD, and then boot up the PM. After it boots and you finish updating the machine, erase the HDD upon which you originally installed the OS and that should be that.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Do you have another machine that can run Tiger? If so, install it on that machine, update it to a version that the PowerMac can run, clone it to the PM HDD, and then boot up the PM. After it boots and you finish updating the machine, erase the HDD upon which you originally installed the OS and that should be that.

That is a very clever idea, but unfortunately I don't have another PPC mac! :( Would it work with intel?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
That is a very clever idea, but unfortunately I don't have another PPC mac! :( Would it work with intel?

It should since Tiger was released for both PPC and Intel and 10.4.11 has both the PPC and Intel architecture.

The reason I figured that out is because the FW port on my "new" 14" ibook is broken and the only way that I could get tiger on leopard on it again was to use the Tiger disk, the clone of my 12" iBook on an external APM formatted HDD connected via usb, and use the Disk Utility on the installation disc to erase the internal HDD and restore it with the cloned OS on the external.

What you can also do is go to Apple's Support website and download the 10.4.11 combo update(restore the dmg to a dvd) to the 10.4 disk, and run that as well. or just download whichever update would be the minimum that your PM came pre-installed with. If it's the PM dual core 2.0 then that would be 10.4.2. good luck! Oh, and use Carbon Copy Cloner to make the clone and disk utility to restore. I have always liked that combination.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
Is there another quick fix or do I have to copy across the HD and I'm not too sure I want to install tiger on my 2012 MacBook Pro...

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Is there another quick fix or do I have to copy across the HD and I'm not too sure I want to install tiger on my 2012 MacBook Pro...

Well...an easier way might be just to connect the machines via Target Disk Mode and insert the Tiger disk into the MBP and use the included utilities to erase the PM HDD and install 10.4 onto the HDD that way. It's possible that simply using another machine's ODD might bypass the PM unwillingness to boot into 10.4.

But you might be surprised how quick it actually happens with more modern machines or at least with more powerful ones. This took 2 hours for me but that's because I was relying solely on my 12" single core 1.33GHz iBook to do everything first and through usb as well. using machines with more powerful processors, faster bus speeds, more RAM,.etc should make the operation much faster.

I fixed my mother's MBP this way and it only took about 30 minutes. Granted, this is when I had an quad core i7 MBP to do the work.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Dec 4, 2011
An "offline" install and update might work, you should be able to run OSinstall.mpkg from the Tiger DVD on your running Leopard system to install 10.4.0 to your Tiger partition, then download the 10.4.11 Combo update and run it, again pointing it at your Tiger partition (if it complains that the running system is 10.5, if it checks that as well as the version of the system on the target partition, you might need to tweak the installation script to allow it to run), only actually booting Tiger once it is on 10.4.11 ie a supported version for that G5. Be careful not to run anything against your Leopard partition, though it shouldn't let you anyway.

It's not a supported way to do things, but I'm pretty sure I have done this in the past - it doesn't always work for installing newer OS versions from older versions as they introduce updated package formats in some OS X versions that older versions can't open, but it should work this way around ie installing older from newer.

If you decide to get new a new disc, the retail copies of Tiger that came in the new smaller (Leopard-sized) boxes are newer versions and so should work on that G5 - the last G5s shipped with 10.4.4 so check you are getting 10.4.5 or higher, which the small box ones should be - the large box versions of Tiger are the older ones.

Last edited:

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
Check for NetBoot options. I'm no expert at all but that could be a solution
Also maybe PearPC?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I don't know if Apple would still have a restore disc set for a machine that old, but if they do, they're very inexpensive.

Frost7

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Republic of Texas
What graphics card do you have? Also, any idea if you have a DVR-110 SuperDrive?

I ask because I've seen kernel panics on Late 2005s attempting to start up from original Tiger discs. In the case of a Quadro card, it's because support wasn't added until I believe 10.4.6. In the case of a DVR-110, same story. Both times the issue was solved by using a 10.4.6 retail disc instead instead of plain 10.4.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
What graphics card do you have? Also, any idea if you have a DVR-110 SuperDrive?

I ask because I've seen kernel panics on Late 2005s attempting to start up from original Tiger discs. In the case of a Quadro card, it's because support wasn't added until I believe 10.4.6. In the case of a DVR-110, same story. Both times the issue was solved by using a 10.4.6 retail disc instead instead of plain 10.4.

I have a dual 2Ghz G5 Late 2005, doesn't have a quadro card, but it does a SuperDrive so it could be that I guess...

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I have a dual 2Ghz G5 Late 2005, doesn't have a quadro card, but it does a SuperDrive so it could be that I guess...

You most likely have GF 6600 then. You need at least 10.4.3 (Late 2005 shipped OS). Versions prior to this one lack drivers for 6600.

SuperKerem

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 29, 2012
No success yet, don't want to mess up my 2012 MacBook Pro by installing tiger and copying HD. A working torrent would be nice... Other than that there's really no option :(

----------

I have a Nvidia card btw, not that it's important but just so you know.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
No success yet, don't want to mess up my 2012 MacBook Pro by installing tiger and copying HD. A working torrent would be nice... Other than that there's really no option :(

----------

I have a Nvidia card btw, not that it's important but just so you know.

Well I doubt that your MBP would get messed up by installing Tiger onto it, do you have an external hard drive or high capacity flash drive? if so, then you can probably install the OS onto that once you have it properly formatted, then connect the PM to your MBP via TDM and clone the updated Tiger onto the PM HDD. And you should be able to do this completely before fully booting up the PM. as long as you have a HDD that is larger than 10GB, you should be fine.

The initial one that you install it to doesn't have to be bootable(as far as I know) and then you can just clone it using disk utility and that's that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.