Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
:confused:

Just a warning. I decided to see if i'd get better performance with a clean install, so I try to and I get a message telling me I can't. I can't activate my phone but I was told that after iOS 7 was installed, no I can't do anything on my phone, or through iTunes. :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Just a warning. I decided to see if i'd get better performance with a clean install, so I try to and I get a message telling me I can't. I can't activate my phone but I was told that after iOS 7 was installed, no I can't do anything on my phone, or through iTunes. :(
How did you install iOS 7 when you got this message?

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
How did you install iOS 7 when you got this message?

Option + click on update, and using the ipsw file.

Edit: Actually, that's how I did it the first time. I tried to do a clean install by clicking option clicking restore, I used the ipsw file and it installed iOS 7. When I was setting up the device, I was denied.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

The "loophole" only worked by doing an update, not a clean install. Now you need to put your phone into DFU mode and restore to iOS 6.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
The top video on YouTube for "ios 7 free" worked for a friend yesterday. I was going to do this today. Can it be confirmed that this no longer works?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Did you ever stop and think that maybe YOU did it wrong? How could Apple close the loophole? That would mean making changes to the whole activation process and ipsw file.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
Sometimes laws need to be questioned. Corporations and governments often times are not always right.

Often times consumers aren't right either.

iOS 7 Developer Beta is exactly that, a developer beta. It's meant for developers to use to test their apps compatibility with iOS 7 and nothing more. You pay for this license for a reason.

You guys install this and then come on here moaning and complaining about bugs.. what did you expect? It's not meant for the public nor is it meant for you. It's not meant to be used on a device that isn't strictly for testing application purposes only.

Feed Me

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2012
Location Location
I seriously doubt anyone is doing any harm at all by getting it for free. Who is it hurting?

It's not hurting anyone, but the point is that you're not entitled to the iOS 7 beta. It's intended specifically for developers, and is in fact legally restricted to registered iOS developers only.

(Plus it's irritating when mooks like you (not saying specifically you) make billions of threads saying "wahh [feature x] in this developer-only beta software I installed on my phone last night doesn't work wtf appel", and "waaahh my battery life sucks" and "waahh skype doesn't work"... etc, you get the idea :rolleyes:)

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
I seriously doubt anyone is doing any harm at all by getting it for free. Who is it hurting?

Really? Apart from the fact it's illegal and against the terms of a legally binding contract, it hurts Apple when you get incompetent Joe Public installing beta software, not understanding the meaning of 'beta' and then complaining all over the internet that iOS7 is rubbish. It's the same kind of people who I saw posting the link to Apple's public feedback site to complain that the eBay app didn't work....I mean, come on? REALLY?!?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I hope they did. Maybe fewer people will come here complaining about something they probably never should have installed anyway. Beta software shouldn't be for any joe that's curious and wants to play around with it. It should be for people doing actually testing, reading release notes and submitting bugs to Apple.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Really? Apart from the fact it's illegal and against the terms of a legally binding contract, it hurts Apple when you get incompetent Joe Public installing beta software, not understanding the meaning of 'beta' and then complaining all over the internet that iOS7 is rubbish. It's the same kind of people who I saw posting the link to Apple's public feedback site to complain that the eBay app didn't work....I mean, come on? REALLY?!?

I have a better understanding than the average joe. I understand what you mean but this does not apply to me and many others.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
They haven't, my friend literally installed iOS 7 on his 4S 10 minutes ago and he's not a registered developer like I am.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
There's nothing to disagree here with. That's exactly what the software was intended for. Not for you to use unless you have paid the license fee.

Whats the difference then? If some Joe Public pays the fee, then its okay? How so? I thought it was meant for DEVS ONLY?

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
While that is true, I don't see why you're making a fuss about a $99 fee that is for a developer's program that gives us access to more the just beta software. Apple has no obligation to release this beta for free, and no one has the right to try it out for free.

Definitely not obligated to have it. I just don't agree with having to pay for it. Developers are who make apple the money, yet they have to pay to help make apple money? (And themselves of course)

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
We all pay enough money to own these devices and pay for music, apps, etc. I must have forgot that you aren't entitled to this software unless you pay a ridiculous fee that makes no sense in the first place. How could any consumer agree to this? If you worked for apple, sure I would understand your opinion.

Because it's not $99 for a beta, it's $99 to be in the developer program. By paying the $99, you are enlisted in the developer program, have access to all of Apple's support for developers, and the ability to publish your apps to your app store.

This is not a $99 consumer beta, this is a $99 Apple Developer program for developers, not consumers.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Whats the difference then? If some Joe Public pays the fee, then its okay? How so? I thought it was meant for DEVS ONLY?

I'm guessing if some Joe Public with too much money to waste pays the license fee and installs the beta, then comes crying here when he runs into problems, he'll get as much ridicule as the guy who got hold of the beta without paying the fee.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Ahh the beta iOS honeypot has once again proven irresistible to the kiddies.

Remember kids, beta OS's are often broken or missing features, and only supplied to developers to give them a platform to test their own apps before they're released to the public.

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Because it's not $99 for a beta, it's $99 to be in the developer program. By paying the $99, you are enlisted in the developer program, have access to all of Apple's support for developers, and the ability to publish your apps to your app store.

This is not a $99 consumer beta, this is a $99 Apple Developer program for developers, not consumers.

A free consumer option would be nice. While it may backfire when everyone complains about bugs that don't understand it, that's not my problem to worry about. Just imagining a perfect world for consumers here lol.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
A free consumer option would be nice. While it may backfire when everyone complains about bugs that don't understand it, that's not my problem to worry about. Just imagining a perfect world for consumers here lol.

There is a free consumer option.

Apple has always made the latest stable version of Xcode and iOS ISPWs available to people who aren't enrolled in the developer program.

If you're talking about a consumer option for the beta, well they have that too. It comes out in the fall.

eclipseblur954

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
You aren't paying $99 JUST for iOS software... You are paying to be a developer, to be able to publish Apps to the App store.

If you seriously want the software, just have your UDID registered through somewhere for a few bucks.

BUT its a beta software, if you don't know your way around basic restoring / updating processes, you will be very disappointed with the polish in a beta software. Customers should always wait for the free official update, its a better experience over all.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
First off, let me just say people who whine about bugs in betas, instead of simply acknowledging they're there and reporting them to Apple so they can fix it, are absolutely ridiculous.

But, given the fact that Apple could, if they wanted to, make it, if not impossible, very difficult for non-registered devs to install betas. But they don't. (Just as they don't even have any kind of verification process on OS X.) Also, they don't charge for iOS. This leads me to believe they don't give a flying duck about non-devs running betas, but they won't help anyone of them either if things go wrong.

But shouting about how it's illegal and all that? Please. That's as ridiculous as dissing iOS 7 for draining battery after having tried the first beta...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.