PDA

View Full Version : Gorgeous New iMac 20" - Pics included!

JayMtl
Nov 4, 2005, 12:22 PM
Hey all, I know that everyone here (myself included) is a sucker for pics of anything Apple, so here are a few new pics of my brand-spanking new iMac G5 20" - received this morning, no less (ordered Oct. 19th from the Apple Store)! Hopefully its beauty comes across in these pics; it really is gorgeous.

The iMac is indeed quiet, only a fan spinning lightly in the back produces sound with the odd disc loading (I've been trying out several DVDs just for the experience). It's very warm at the top of the bezel, gradually getting cooler as you go down. Furthermore, it's impressively thin and the overall aesthetic is very minimal. One might think think that the iSight would ruin the continuity of the piece, but I think it's barely noticeable and I couldn't really picture an overall aesthetic difference if it was there or not.

Computer performance is what you'd expect given a CPU with its speed, which is to say it's good. But I think this can be a personal issue, so I'll leave all you iMac buyers to form your own judgement.

Photobooth is fun for a few minutes, gimmicky sure, but something to play with. I refused to let it take a pic for my login account after setting things up early in the morning (not a morning person in appearance :eek: ). Front Row is mighty cool, and takes a few seconds (about 3) to make the transition from the desktop, but appears to be very functional. DVD playback from Front Row looks good, but one annoyance is that if you pause and return back to the desktop, the DVD player mustn't be in the dock when you decide to resume playing the DVD, otherwise the video does not play. I'll get used to it, but I think Apple will need to patch Front Row a bit before it becomes truly amazing. However, even without the apps, the iMac is a spectacular deal and a nice piece of hardware.

Anyway, enough praise...I must get back to my computer! Check out the few pics I took of my baby...some with a newly purchased DVD (guess which one ;)). So far, extremely happy with the purchase...oh, and did I mention I'm a first-time Mac user?! :D

Danksi
Nov 4, 2005, 12:35 PM
....here are a few new pics of my brand-spanking new iMac G5 20"

Nice. I'm laughing at how clean the setup looks though. I'll have to take a pic of my 17inch, 19inch LCD, two external drives, USB hub, extension leads everywhere, it's a mess.

I'm also suprised our kids haven't coloured it in too!

:)

runninmac
Nov 4, 2005, 12:47 PM
Wow looks very impressive! I want to get one around january/ december. Thanks for the pictures I just love them!:p Could you take one like the 2nd one but with more of the back? That would be great. Enjoy it

CTSxViper
Nov 4, 2005, 12:52 PM
Wow that is nice. I have a dual G5 2.0ghz with 20" Apple Cinema ALuminum, but that is sexy. I want one.. :)

Aarow
Nov 4, 2005, 12:54 PM
Nice! Hopefully my family will get one of these in a few years. Do you think you'll get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

pionata
Nov 4, 2005, 12:58 PM
Nice, its awesome... I wanted to buy one... waiting to get the money for a 23" and powermac instead. If I didnt need the 23" I would get a iMac like tommorow.

deermatt
Nov 4, 2005, 01:03 PM
yumm,, i had the 1.8ghz 20in imac g5, but i can never make up my mind, sold it and got a 14in ibook and 15in powerbook, but i think now im selling both and going back to a desktop! the new imacs specs are amazing!

JayMtl
Nov 4, 2005, 01:41 PM
Wow looks very impressive! I want to get one around january/ december. Thanks for the pictures I just love them!:p Could you take one like the 2nd one but with more of the back? That would be great. Enjoy it
Thanks! Glad you like the pics. When I get home I'll try to get a shot for you...and if not, then I'll happily take one this weekend. :)

Nice! Hopefully my family will get one of these in a few years. Do you think you'll get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse?
Bluetooth keyboard, possibly; bluetooth mouse, nope. The keyboard I can justify, because I can pick it up, put it on my lap, plus the battery life is great. The mouse has no secondary button (non-right-clickable) nor does it have a scroll function, two very disadvantageous points, IMO! From what I hear, battery life isn't great on the BT mouse either. Not a wise purchase, if you ask me. For now, I'm poor, so I think I'll just be happy with my wired devices and splendid iMac. :D

JayMtl
Nov 6, 2005, 11:43 AM
As promised, here's a pic of the backside! Just as sexy as the fontside, if you ask me. :D

Mr. Anderson
Nov 6, 2005, 11:49 AM
I played with one of these at the Apple store in Indianapolis yesterday - they're quite nice. Not much different though, from my wife's 2.0 GHz iMac. I personally don't like the built in iSight - we have a 2 year old who gets on there regularly to see grandparents, and with the built in camera, you'd have to move the whole computer around to get him in the picture. Its much nicer having the iSight on the cable. But if you don't have to worry about that, its definitely better without all the clutter.

I'd hope that in the next version Apple makes it so the built in iSight can rotate up and down a bit.

D

mrfrosty
Nov 6, 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks for that,it looks great.. ! I can't wait for mine ! I'm a first timer too

runninmac
Nov 6, 2005, 11:55 AM
Wow that looks good.:eek: Thanks!

mdavey
Nov 6, 2005, 12:48 PM
DVD playback from Front Row looks good, but one annoyance is that if you pause and return back to the desktop, the DVD player mustn't be in the dock when you decide to resume playing the DVD, otherwise the video does not play.

Hmm, that is weird. I've played about with FrontRow quite a bit and haven't seen that. Does it happen with all DVDs?

wdlove
Nov 6, 2005, 05:25 PM
Very nice pictures. I got to play with a iMac G5 at my local Apple Store today. Very impressed. I had to really stoop down to use the iSight though.

mjstew33
Nov 6, 2005, 05:29 PM
So sweet!! I can't wait to get mine :D

mjstew33
Nov 6, 2005, 05:31 PM
Very nice pictures. I got to play with a iMac G5 at my local Apple Store today. Very impressed. I had to really stoop down to use the iSight though.
I still have not seen one in person.. just pictures.

The first time I'll probably see is at my front door :eek: :rolleyes:

p0intblank
Nov 6, 2005, 06:42 PM
Very nice pictures! And my God is that thing thin... my dad has the previous rev. of the iMac G5 and I always thought it looked a little thick. This one, however, looks just right. :D I would get one of these if I really needed it, but money would be spent on a Power Mac G5.

Anyway, congrats on the purchase! I know you'll have fun with it.

cemorris
Nov 7, 2005, 12:07 AM
Can the screen move vertically on these yet? I know they tilt, but i would like them to move vertically as the previous generation iMac did (the lamp generation).

Lee Lindemann
Nov 7, 2005, 09:34 AM
Just picked mine up today. It's great! Only complaint, front row is buggy as heck. It'll be nice once they get those bugs out. Don't have much use for photobooth, but it would be nice to have the effects in iPhoto. So far the built in iSight has worked better than i expected. The FOV is as good as the orig.

I got the stand 512mg of ram....be nice when i can afford the 2gb module:)

SuperSnake2012
Nov 7, 2005, 04:20 PM
Looks very nice, enjoy your iMac! :D

JayMtl
Nov 7, 2005, 10:15 PM
Can the screen move vertically on these yet? I know they tilt, but i would like them to move vertically as the previous generation iMac did (the lamp generation).
No vertical movement, it can only tilt upwards and downwards about 20 degrees total.

x86isslow
Nov 7, 2005, 10:37 PM

With a VESA mount+mount arm you could. I doubt it can do that kind of moving out-of-the-box

nichos
Nov 7, 2005, 11:37 PM
As promised, here's a pic of the backside! Just as sexy as the fontside, if you ask me. :D

What is that honey-comb like thing below the mount and above the power cable? Vent? Speaker of some sort? I don't recall that on the Rev A, B's.

JayMtl
Nov 8, 2005, 07:20 PM
What is that honey-comb like thing below the mount and above the power cable? Vent? Speaker of some sort? I don't recall that on the Rev A, B's.
It's a vent. The speakers are mounted on the bottom edge of the display.

SummerBreeze
Nov 8, 2005, 09:05 PM
I gorgeous. I saw some today at my schools bookstore and let me just say, they look amazing. Congrats on your purchase.

BlueMars
Nov 9, 2005, 01:16 AM
JayMtl, kind of you to show us some pics of your new iMac. It'll be fun...:)

Did you order through the Apple Canada website, and does your iMac include the 2006 World Book encyclopedia? While the US Apple site mentions (under both 'Tech Specs' and 'Software') that the new iMac ships with the 2006 World Book and Quicken 2006, the Canadian Apple site makes no mention of either one being included.
Just wondering....

JayMtl
Nov 9, 2005, 02:29 AM
JayMtl, kind of you to show us some pics of your new iMac. It'll be fun...:)

Did you order through the Apple Canada website, and does your iMac include the 2006 World Book encyclopedia? While the US Apple site mentions (under both 'Tech Specs' and 'Software') that the new iMac ships with the 2006 World Book and Quicken 2006, the Canadian Apple site makes no mention of either one being included.
Just wondering....
World Book 2006, check! Quicken 2006, check! So yeah, they're both included although I haven't looked very closely at either app. And yes, I ordered through the Apple Canada site using the education store.

denial
Nov 9, 2005, 02:30 AM
That 20" sure does look stunning. Congratulations.

spencecb
Nov 9, 2005, 12:58 PM
Hey, congrats on the purchase...I got my new 20" iMac Rev. C due to an ongoing issue with my Rev A iMac....so, it really worked out better for me, even though I had to go through the hassel of sending my iMac back to Apple and waiting after a couple of delays due to the large demand for these new iMacs. I've used the iSight a few times with one of my friends that made her first Mac purchse when the new iMac came out. She loves it, so now we just call each other on our iMacs instead of using the phone, lol.

RobHague
Nov 9, 2005, 02:20 PM
Reminds me why i almost bought one. The new Rev looks very slim - very neat! The only thing that stops me getting one is the graphics are not upgradable and i find the 6600 in my current PM a bit too slow for me now so i guess i made the right choice for me not going the iMac route.

I have recommended them to other people though :D :D