PDA

View Full Version : Redesign or inter-app document opening?

springsup
Jun 13, 2013, 06:14 PM
So, the new UI is great, but I'm a little disappointed with iOS7 in terms of features. I think some type of improved documents system was on everybody's wishlist for iOS7, but we actually haven't seen anything in that regard.

Here's a question: would you prefer an improved documents system and a not-as-radical UI redesign, or are you happy with the approach Apple did take (radical redesign, no documents system)?

Patriot24
Jun 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
The lack of file system is what makes iOS...iOS. This is not likely to change anytime soon.

Reddkryten
Jun 13, 2013, 06:26 PM
I doubt we'll ever get "My Documents" or finder on iOS. However, tags are just begging to be ported over!

Ayemerica
Jun 13, 2013, 07:24 PM
Two different platforms. Two different ways to grab information.

chrf097
Jun 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Why does iOS even need a file system?

springsup
Jun 13, 2013, 11:02 PM
Why does iOS even need a file system?

Because there are plenty of times when you need to transfer a document from being under the domain of one App to being under the domain of another App.

Right now, you can only do that with Photos, and it works great - you can snap a picture in the camera app, edit it in iPhoto, and import it in to a Pages document. That all works because they can grab Photos from a common storage location - the Camera Roll (which gets very cluttered if you actually try this because those Apps can only read and write new data, not edit existing data).

Imagine if you could do that with any arbitrary data. Whole new types of apps could be written. You would be able to migrate between Apps (so if I decide to use a new notes app, I could transfer all my notes from my old App).

Notice that I didn't write "file system" in the title; if there's some other mechanism that could allow Apps to access documents stored under the domain of another App, that would also be fine.