Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnkenn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2013
All of a sudden my ipad 3 started rebooting over and over and now, it's stuck in recovery mode. When I try and restore, it stops at about 90% and gives me "Unable to restore, unknown error -1". The Apple Store told me that it's likely a hardware issue and the only thing to do is buy another one just like it at a discounted rate of $299. There's got to be SOMETHING to do, right?

Zoneca

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
Finally get out of this problem... and get into another

I suffered the same problem as yours with my ipad 1. Then I tried to download the redsn0w and find out there's a button says "Recovery fix". Pressing this button it will lead you to DFU mode then... Daaada.... can startthe ipad again, butnow I'm still stuck in "activation"... Don't know why can not activate and keep restarting...:mad:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
All of a sudden my ipad 3 started rebooting over and over and now, it's stuck in recovery mode. When I try and restore, it stops at about 90% and gives me "Unable to restore, unknown error -1". The Apple Store told me that it's likely a hardware issue and the only thing to do is buy another one just like it at a discounted rate of $299. There's got to be SOMETHING to do, right?

Perhaps not. If it is something like a blown logic board you can't fix that with a restore. And if you are out of warranty you are out of warranty.

You can attempt to put it in DFU mode and see if that restores it. Trying another computer can't hurt either.

But it might not do any good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.