PDA

View Full Version : Switching to full-screen apps using a hotkey

citivolus
Jun 13, 2013, 09:03 PM
I must be missing something because this just doesn't work for me.

I run several vmware instances full screen under SL, each one in always the same space. My Win7 vm is always in space 3, so I can always hit control-3 to get me to that vm. Same for my other vm's.

Ever since Lion when Apple took away Spaces, this was no longer possible. A friend of mine told me that even in Mavericks, there isn't a way to jump directly to a full-screen app using a hotkey. This is primarily an issue when you are running multiple instances of the same app full-screen since only one of them will show up when you hit command-tab.

Please tell me what I am missing as this may prevent me from upgrading!

jeffzoom91
Jun 13, 2013, 09:54 PM
You can setup "Space" hotkeys.

Full screen shortcut is almost always control-command-f

Don't steal software folks.

citivolus
Jun 14, 2013, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your response, but I don't think you understand what I am asking. I need hotkeys to jump to each of several full-screen instances of the same app (in my case vmware). Does Mavericks allow this, since I believe Lion and ML don't? I was hoping it might since I've read Mavericks changes the way it handles full-screen apps.

Don't steal software folks.
While I agree with this statement, I'm not sure what it has to do with my post...?

Ddyracer
Jun 14, 2013, 09:51 AM
Thanks for your response, but I don't think you understand what I am asking. I need hotkeys to jump to each of several full-screen instances of the same app (in my case vmware). Does Mavericks allow this, since I believe Lion and ML don't? I was hoping it might since I've read Mavericks changes the way it handles full-screen apps.

While I agree with this statement, I'm not sure what it has to do with my post...?

You mean switch from one mission control desktop to another? It probably can be done. Look in system preferences, keyboard. Think you can set a hotkey for that.

w0lf
Jun 14, 2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks for your response, but I don't think you understand what I am asking. I need hotkeys to jump to each of several full-screen instances of the same app.

Not sure that's possible.

If your app allows you to use the old full screen where it simply fills the whole desktop and does not branch to it's own space you could easily do it in settings.

You could probably do something where you put a desktop next to each space and then made a command that jumped to the desktop next to the space you wanted and then moved over 1 space in one click but that seems a little jerry rigged

bcaslis
Jun 14, 2013, 12:28 PM
Why not use command tab and cycle between the apps? Not that hard.

citivolus
Jun 14, 2013, 12:33 PM
You mean switch from one mission control desktop to another? It probably can be done. Look in system preferences, keyboard. Think you can set a hotkey for that.

No, I mean switching to a specific instance of a full-screen app.

I run three VM's simultaneously using vmware. Each of these three vm's is full-screen. I want a different hotkey to switch to each of them directly. When I hit command-tab, there is only one instance.

This is why I am still on SL, where I can run each of them in a separate Space, so control-1, control-2, control-3 will take me directly to them.

This has to do with the way full-screen apps are handled as a separate "Space" ever since Lion. I was hoping this was addressed in Mavericks, but unfortunately it appears not.

w0lf
Jun 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
Why not use command tab and cycle between the apps? Not that hard.

Did you even read? He said he has one app with multiple spaces... Command Tab doesn't help with that at all.

citivolus
Jun 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
The app with multiple instances that I am talking about is vmware Fusion. They implemented the full-screen functionality within OSX, so when you hit the full-screen button, it moves into its own desktop (within Lion and ML, at least). I assume it does the same in Mavericks.