PDA

View Full Version : As i force quit another application...

Passante
Nov 4, 2005, 12:53 PM
On my work windows nt machine I see that my cpu usage with 4 word docs, netscape (5 tabs) and a search window open hovers around 50%. Seems pretty high compared to my mac. Just moving a window around spikes cpu usage to 95%. Its a Dell with a Pentium (R) 4 2.8 gHz and half a meg of ram.

Just not familiar with Wintel devices. Is this typical?

solvs
Nov 4, 2005, 01:10 PM
Unless it's spiking, that seems kinda high. If it jumps up to ~50% then back down to ~1%, it's probably just updating something in the background. If it's consistently that high, check the processes to make sure something weird isn't going on. What does the PF usage say? If it's higher than ~500MB, that could be your answer (running out of memory). Try a reboot too, if nothing else works.

plinkoman
Nov 4, 2005, 01:43 PM
and half a meg of ram.

your running a p4 with half a meg of ram?? :eek: :eek:
haha, upgrade to 640k, according to bill, that ought to be enough for anyone :p

on a serious note, that doesn't sound quite normal, only thing i can think of is checking msconfig to see if there is tons of stuff loading on startup that you don't know about causing it to lag.

you might just need more ram, but i doubt that, i only have 768MB in my pc which is a good deal slower then 2.8, yet i run usually around 30 tabs in firefox, iTunes, thunderbird, aim, and usually some other stuff all at once and i don't have any problem.

Passante
Nov 4, 2005, 03:30 PM
The PF usage is 435 MB. So what is that?

solvs
Nov 4, 2005, 04:25 PM
That means that a lot of your RAM is being used. PF = Paging File. Go into the System Properties, Advanced, Performance Settings, Advanced, Virtual Memory Change, and set it to 512 and 512, then click Set. Restart, see if it's still going slow. Then try to run Disk Defrag tonight, see if it helps. That's probably not your problem, but the restart may help and the Defrag will speed things up a bit if your system is fragmented. Run it twice.

SummerBreeze
Nov 4, 2005, 04:52 PM
Sometimes this is because of malware loading at startup, you can always check your stuff with adaware.

zakatov
Nov 5, 2005, 12:29 PM
Why don't you just do the 3 finger salute and see what process(es) are eating up the CPU cycles?