PDA

View Full Version : If iOS 7 is so buggy...

Abazigal
Jun 13, 2013, 10:33 PM
Then what was Craig demoing on the stage?

The images looked really crisp, clear and sharp on screen, yet people seem to be reporting entirely different experiences on their phones. :confused:

Paddle1
Jun 13, 2013, 10:35 PM

The images looked really crisp, clear and sharp on screen, yet people seem to be reporting entirely different experiences on their phones. :confused:

A version designed for the presentation.

baller1308
Jun 13, 2013, 10:35 PM
It works fine on my 4S. Some animations are laggy, but that's expected since it's a beta and that they probably had it finely tuned for the 5.

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 10:36 PM
He was probably demoing a newer, more stable beta.

Dalton63841
Jun 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
It works fine on my 4S. Some animations are laggy, but that's expected since it's a beta and that they probably had it finely tuned for the 5.

It even works great for me, and I'm just on an iPhone 4. It doesn't seem laggy to me really. The animations are slower than on iOS 6 or before, but still fluid.

Abazigal
Jun 13, 2013, 10:58 PM

Any reason why that wasn't released to the public instead?

chrf097
Jun 13, 2013, 11:01 PM

Because it was probably an unfinished Alpha copy or a build specifically for a demo, or it wasn't prepared to be pushed out yet.

darkfiber
Jun 13, 2013, 11:03 PM

There is a big difference between demoing a few features in front of an audience that you have rehearsed over and over again (and knowing what not to do to avoid a crash or a problem) and actually running the software and using it in the real world.

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:07 PM

Likely to gain more developer feedback. They can' be showing buggy software on the stage either.

taedouni
Jun 13, 2013, 11:08 PM
How do game developers preview games that still have 6-10 months left to go?

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:08 PM
Because it was probably an unfinished Alpha copy or a build specifically for a demo, or it wasn't prepared to be pushed out yet.

It couldn't be an alpha copy because logically it'd be buggier which it didn't appear at all to be.

AlphaHumanus
Jun 13, 2013, 11:09 PM
The animations are slower than on iOS 6 or before, but still fluid.

I'm not having too many problems at all really.

nikhsub1
Jun 13, 2013, 11:13 PM
It was probably the SAME beta we all have, he was likely using much better hardware... which would make a huge difference. Of course, I'm sure every transition, every app etc was all rehearsed and choreographed as well.

hoosier205
Jun 13, 2013, 11:15 PM
It was probably the SAME beta we all have, he was likely using much better hardware... which would make a huge difference. Of course, I'm sure every transition, every app etc was all rehearsed and choreographed as well.

...what? How exactly would he be using much better hardware, while holding an iPhone 5 in his hand?

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 11:20 PM
...what? How exactly would he be using much better hardware, while holding an iPhone 5 in his hand?Could have been a 5S. ;)

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:22 PM

Highly doubt this. Bugs are bugs and if one is present, it will still show regardless of how good the hardware is. It's likely he was using a newer beta which was more stable and optimized.

C DM
Jun 13, 2013, 11:25 PM
Highly doubt this. Bugs are bugs and if one is present, it will still show regardless of how good the hardware is. It's likely he was using a newer beta which was more stable and optimized.Likely a newer build and/or some custom tweaks for specific demo items.

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:26 PM
Likely a newer build and/or some custom tweaks for specific demo items.

Yes exactly. I suppose it could've been beta 2 which it wouldn't surprise me if they had been already working on that prior to beta 1's release.

nikhsub1
Jun 13, 2013, 11:28 PM
...what? How exactly would he be using much better hardware, while holding an iPhone 5 in his hand?
And you think it was just an off the shelf phone? If so, you are naive.
Highly doubt this. Bugs are bugs and if one is present, it will still show regardless of how good the hardware is. It's likely he was using a newer beta which was more stable and optimized.
I don't have many bugs... at least, not with the default apps. Most bugs are with other apps.

brock2621
Jun 13, 2013, 11:36 PM

THIS. The beta file released and running on people's phones was done in March. I'm sure the one on stage was only a few days old in comparison.

batting1000
Jun 13, 2013, 11:40 PM
THIS. The beta file released and running on people's phones was done in March. I'm sure the one on stage was only a few days old in comparison.

Really? How do you know it was done in march?

gonzalo12345
Jun 13, 2013, 11:55 PM
some possibilities:

1. he was running stock apps, no third party installed
2. The demo version of ios7 probably was just a tweaked light built of beta1
3. He was using an iphone 5 with 5s or 6 internal hardware

before they do their presentations they make sure everything is good to go and it's going to be smooth

nutmac
Jun 14, 2013, 12:01 AM
iOS 7 developer preview 1 is actually fairly stable for the most part (aside from missing functionalities), but there are two features that will often bring it to its knee:

1. Background App Refresh: This feature will suck battery like crazy and frequently causes iOS to complete lock up. I strongly recommend turning it off.

2. Multitasking tray: Tinkering with it will eventually cause iOS to reboot. Don't use it.

charlituna
Jun 14, 2013, 12:06 AM

Movie magic. It was all a video that he just tapped on the phone to make you think it was live

haruhiko
Jun 14, 2013, 12:22 AM
Movie magic. It was all a video that he just tapped on the phone to make you think it was live

It may be a special build but it's not a video.

Technarchy
Jun 14, 2013, 12:32 AM
More likely it's just well rehearsed with 100 engineers telling the bosses "Dont do that on stage"

Rogifan
Jun 14, 2013, 02:37 AM
iOS 7 developer preview 1 is actually fairly stable for the most part (aside from missing functionalities), but there are two features that will often bring it to its knee:

1. Background App Refresh: This feature will suck battery like crazy and frequently causes iOS to complete lock up. I strongly recommend turning it off.

2. Multitasking tray: Tinkering with it will eventually cause iOS to reboot. Don't use it.

None of this will be fixed before iOS 7 ships?

bbfc
Jun 14, 2013, 02:45 AM
Roll on beta 2.

tymaster50
Jun 14, 2013, 03:41 AM
Come on guys, why would they use the same version of ios 7 beta the devs are using? It's most likely beta 2/3 or a special version with only a features that they wanted to present, or special hardware in the iPhone 5. Remember they've been working on this for months. They probably have several betas ready for themselves.

NovemberWhiskey
Jun 14, 2013, 04:13 AM

They showed snapshots of what the user experience is like for Beta1. I used it for a whole night before I ran into the respring problems.

And there is no way to show the battery drain in a short demo.

This shouldn't be that confusing.

batting1000
Jun 14, 2013, 09:08 AM
I'm not convinced they used unreleased hardware. I have no doubt that iOS 7 will be lag free in a future beta on the iPhone 5,

phpmaven
Jun 14, 2013, 09:19 AM

Really? Mine crashes and freezes all the time. Sometimes it just randomly reboots when I'm doing something. This is the buggiest beta I've seen. "Stable" is certainly not a word I would use in connection with this build, "fairly" or not.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 09:38 AM

You think it was special hardware? Beware the black helicopters circling above...

cualexander
Jun 14, 2013, 10:02 AM

I don't have many bugs... at least, not with the default apps. Most bugs are with other apps.

Exactly. Apple has used iPhones in past presentations that had screen mirroring way before screen mirroring was actually released. They don't use normal iPhones in their demos. They are always custom ones.

jutte64
Jun 14, 2013, 10:04 AM
My guess is the phone they were using was a fresh phone off the shelf, that has had nothing done to it other then updating the software to some beta (2-3+) version of iOS 7. That would eliminate all interference of third party apps. They put a few contacts and songs on there for the demo. Also the phone was plugged in the whole time it was on stage so there would have been no way of seeing any sort of battery drain on the device.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 10:06 AM
Exactly. Apple has used iPhones in past presentations that had screen mirroring way before screen mirroring was actually released. They don't use normal iPhones in their demos. They are always custom ones.

That doesn't indicate custom hardware, but rather custom software. :rolleyes:

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 10:09 AM
Come on guys, why would they use the same version of ios 7 beta the devs are using? It's most likely beta 2/3 or a special version with only a features that they wanted to present, or special hardware in the iPhone 5. Remember they've been working on this for months. They probably have several betas ready for themselves.

Why would they even release beta one, then, if they already have the fixes in future betas, lol. You probably hit the nail on the other part, though. They were probably running a custom, more watered-down version for the conference to ensure the best possible presentation.

batting1000
Jun 14, 2013, 10:14 AM
Why would they even release beta one, then, if they already have the fixes in future betas, lol. You probably hit the nail on the other part, though. They were probably running a custom, more watered-down version for the conference to ensure the best possible presentation.

To garner more feedback from developers and to improve on the new beta they already have semi-done. If you check out the bugs thread, there's a SLEW of tiny bugs in iOS 7 (none of them too major). Imagine how many bug reports they get daily from developers. It would take forever to go through those. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were using / started working on beta 2 already in order to get a headstart on fixing bugs. I'm sure Apple has people who are using the beta on a daily basis in order to get some real world testing.

cualexander
Jun 14, 2013, 10:20 AM
That doesn't indicate custom hardware, but rather custom software. :rolleyes:

Not necessarily. They claimed the old phones couldn't do it because they didn't have the hardware for it, but they've been doing it since iPhone 1

Zorn
Jun 14, 2013, 10:22 AM
It's fairly widely accepted that the version of 7 being shown at WWDC on stage was a later build than what was released as beta 1. I think we will see a pretty substantial update when the second beta gets pushed out.

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 11:00 AM
To garner more feedback from developers and to improve on the new beta they already have semi-done. If you check out the bugs thread, there's a SLEW of tiny bugs in iOS 7 (none of them too major). Imagine how many bug reports they get daily from developers. It would take forever to go through those. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they were using / started working on beta 2 already in order to get a headstart on fixing bugs. I'm sure Apple has people who are using the beta on a daily basis in order to get some real world testing.

But if they already have a fix then there is nothing to address. And if the new fix doesn't address it properly, devs still wouldn't know until they have that beta to try it on.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 11:30 AM
That doesn't indicate custom hardware, but rather custom software. :rolleyes:And it could simply be both.

nutmac
Jun 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
Really? Mine crashes and freezes all the time. Sometimes it just randomly reboots when I'm doing something. This is the buggiest beta I've seen. "Stable" is certainly not a word I would use in connection with this build, "fairly" or not.

Mine used to do that too until I disabled background app refresh and stopped using multitasking tray.