PDA

View Full Version : Lockscreen 2.0 Concept

chrisvanhorn
Jun 13, 2013, 11:31 PM
I'm a very avid reader of the forum but never really post. I was somewhat thrown off by the release of iOS 7 (Beta 1) the other day; it was partly the homescreen icon designs. This seems to be a major complaint amongst different parts of the Internet. I've tried adjusting to it on my iPhone over the last couple days, but so far I'm not convinced.

I'm certainly not convinced of the new lockscreen. It presents the user the classic 'slide to unlock' phrase, but it lacks the old design element. It feels awkward, looks weird, and guess what? The arrow directly underneath it had me convinced they went so far as to change the direction of the gesture when I first booted. I know I'm not the only one this happened to. :rolleyes:

I think this is definitely something that needs to be addressed before GM release, and I've worked up a mockup replacement:

- The "transclucent" effect on the Notification Center & Control Center are due to their transparent nature, and vise versa for Unlock & Camera.

- The icons used to Notification Center & Control Center are identical to the ones used inside the Settings app.

- Camera... why is the only option Camera? It's already accessible through Control Center along with toggles, share buttons, and three other 'utility' apps [flashlight, clock, and calculator]. This Camera-slider should have the ability to launch Twitter, Vine, Music, etc.

Thoughts?

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ms2dj4.png

WhackyNinja
Jun 13, 2013, 11:48 PM
Great concept! Though if Apple ever does this. Android users will be like

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1013458/troll-rwj-o.gif

"THIS IS STOLEN OF ANDROID. ITS FAKE....AND GAY."

Bonestle
Jun 14, 2013, 12:34 AM
That's quite nice. I would not object if this headed to our iDevices.

campingsk8er
Jun 14, 2013, 02:03 AM
I'm a very avid reader of the forum but never really post. I was somewhat thrown off by the release of iOS 7 (Beta 1) the other day; it was partly the homescreen icon designs. This seems to be a major complaint amongst different parts of the Internet. I've tried adjusting to it on my iPhone over the last couple days, but so far I'm not convinced.

I'm certainly not convinced of the new lockscreen. It presents the user the classic 'slide to unlock' phrase, but it lacks the old design element. It feels awkward, looks weird, and guess what? The arrow directly underneath it had me convinced they went so far as to change the direction of the gesture when I first booted. I know I'm not the only one this happened to. :rolleyes:

I think this is definitely something that needs to be addressed before GM release, and I've worked up a mockup replacement:

- The "transclucent" effect on the Notification Center & Control Center are due to their transparent nature, and vise versa for Unlock & Camera.

- The icons used to Notification Center & Control Center are identical to the ones used inside the Settings app.

- Camera... why is the only option Camera? It's already accessible through Control Center along with toggles, share buttons, and three other 'utility' apps [flashlight, clock, and calculator]. This Camera-slider should have the ability to launch Twitter, Vine, Music, etc.

Thoughts?

Image (http://i40.tinypic.com/2ms2dj4.png)

I like the concept of it, but maybe not necessarily the execution. Another thing about the "Camera slider" on the home screen. I'm not so sure everybody understands the point of it. When Apple first announced it, they said that you could use it with or without a lock code. The whole point of it, is not just for quick access to your camera, but even quicker access because of the lack of need to input your passcode. Having the ability to add other apps instead of the camera defeats the whole purpose.

haruhiko
Jun 14, 2013, 02:10 AM
I like the concept of it, but maybe not necessarily the execution. Another thing about the "Camera slider" on the home screen. I'm not so sure everybody understands the point of it. When Apple first announced it, they said that you could use it with or without a lock code. The whole point of it, is not just for quick access to your camera, but even quicker access because of the lack of need to input your passcode. Having the ability to add other apps instead of the camera defeats the whole purpose.

The camera slider is super convenient and I used it frequently. But on one day on my way to work I suddenly felt that the phone got warm inside my trousers' pocket.. took it out and found that the camera slider was activated and it took tens of photos inside the pocket and used several % of battery and GPS was turned on due to geotagging.

campingsk8er
Jun 14, 2013, 02:27 AM
The camera slider is super convenient and I used it frequently. But on one day on my way to work I suddenly felt that the phone got warm inside my trousers' pocket.. took it out and found that the camera slider was activated and it took tens of photos inside the pocket and used several % of battery and GPS was turned on due to geotagging.

I'm super confused now. When did I say that it is not convenient? I use it all the time. I'm saying the point of it is that it speeds up the time in which you need to take to pull up the camera and anybody can use it/ even with a lock on your phone because taking photos doesn't harm the phone in anyway (A random stranger can take your phone and take pictures, even whilst not knowing your passcode, but they will not be able to gain access otherwise). Having another app/ being able to change what you want to be there is going to be able to grant people access to your phone/ that specific app/ feature.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 09:06 AM

I certainly understand the underlying concept of having quick access to your camera, but why not quick access to other apps? If a user doesn't have a passcode lock then it loads the application from that slider, and if they do, it simply presents them with the passcode lock.

sigamy
Jun 14, 2013, 09:23 AM

Thoughts?

I love your mockup..great job.

As for the Camera icon, that was added to help those who use their iPhone as their most commonly used camera. A typical use case is a parent trying to get a quick pic of their child doing something cute. Unlocking, finding camera app and launching it was a pain.

Yes, Camera is in CC but that still requires a swipe up, then a tap. Having camera right here saves a step.

Feed Me
Jun 14, 2013, 09:27 AM
Egh, it just looks like a generic NokiWinDroidWiz airy-fairy floaty-transluscenty lock screen. I don't like it, and I don't like the actual iOS 7 lockscreen much either. It doesn't look like iOS.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 09:41 AM
The point of this is what, exactly? Does it serve any tangible purpose? No.

navra233
Jun 14, 2013, 09:42 AM
Egh, it just looks like a generic NokiWinDroidWiz airy-fairy floaty-transluscenty lock screen. I don't like it, and I don't like the actual iOS 7 lockscreen much either. It doesn't look like iOS.

It seems Apple got impressed by Windows, Android OS in phones. Many features are included in iOS7 which is merely inspired by other competitive OS.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 09:49 AM
The point of this is what, exactly? Does it serve any tangible purpose? No.

Did you even read my post beyond looking at the picture? There is most certainly a point to this.

The 'Slide to Unlock' phrase no longer sits comfortably on the lockscreen as it is in Beta 1. This is just a concept of what the lockscreen (more specifically, the slide to unlock & camera element) could be based on the already present arrows for Notification Center & Control Center.

----------

Thank you for your intensely constructive and helpful input. Your idea sounds a lot better. :rolleyes:

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 09:50 AM
I love it. :apple:

ucfgrad93
Jun 14, 2013, 09:59 AM
Looks nice.

hoosier205
Did you even read my post beyond looking at the picture?

Yes.

There is most certainly a point to this.

...then make a point. You certainly didn't in your first post.

I'm not sure why you believe a "concept" you suggest in a thread on this forum will have any impact on how this OS progresses. First of all, they already have a forum for that. Secondly, a mashup of what YOU personally think it should be really has no bearing on the development of their product. All you really did was create a pretty little picture for yourself to show off to others that serves no real purpose beyond that. It seems you are trying to be something you are not, which is involved in the development process.

Feed Me
Thank you for your intensely constructive and helpful input. Your idea sounds a lot better. :rolleyes:

Thanks Tim Cook, I'm glad you liked it.

recklesslife85
Jun 14, 2013, 10:02 AM
Love the look of this. Good job and would welcome it.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 10:17 AM
Yes.

...then make a point. You certainly didn't in your first post.

I'm not sure why you believe a "concept" you suggest in a thread on this forum will have any impact on how this OS progresses. First of all, they already have a forum for that. Secondly, a mashup of what YOU personally think it should be really has no bearing on the development of their product. All you really did was create a pretty little picture for yourself to show off to others that serves no real purpose beyond that. It seems you are trying to be something you are not, which is involved in the development process.

You sound pretty upset.

This is a forum for the discussion of things related to iOS 7, and my concept is meant to spark discussion (this is a forum afterall). I don't expect a phone call from Apple tomorrow.

I very clearly presented the reason behind the concept in my post. I'm sorry I made it so complicated for you to find. I hope everything is okay man! You sure sound like you're having a rough day.

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2013, 10:18 AM
Too busy.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 10:23 AM
Too busy.

Is it the presence of the 4 icons? I felt there wasn't enough of a cue as to what each arrow's function actually was, but originally had planned on only including areas for each of the 4 gestures.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 10:25 AM
You sound pretty upset.

This is a forum for the discussion of things related to iOS 7, and my concept is meant to spark discussion (this is a forum afterall). I don't expect a phone call from Apple tomorrow.

I very clearly presented the reason behind the concept in my post. I'm sorry I made it so complicated for you to find. I hope everything is okay man! You sure sound like you're having a rough day.

So basically...you don't have a point. If you did, you would have made it by now. Got it. You created a silly little mockup that serves no purpose beyond showing others that you can. Good for you! You've come a long way from your days at LOLCats: http://www.lolcats.com/featured/51789-iz-likin-myself-on-lolcatscom.html

Those who can, do. Those who cannot...create threads like this one.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 10:26 AM
So basically...you don't have a point. If you did, you would have made it by now. Got it. You created a silly little mockup that serves no purpose beyond showing others that you can. Good for you! You've come a long way from your days at LOLCats: http://www.lolcats.com/featured/51789-iz-likin-myself-on-lolcatscom.html

Those who can, do. Those who cannot...create threads like this one.

Trolls will be trolls.

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2013, 10:28 AM
Is it the presence of the 4 icons? I felt there wasn't enough of a cue as to what each arrow's function actually was, but originally had planned on only including areas for each of the 4 gestures.

Yes, it feels like I'm being cornered by icons.

I'm not sure a lock screen needs so much functionality, or at least so many visual cues.

rovex
Jun 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
there ought to be a quick phone access like there is for the camera. I can already see that as part of ios8....

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 10:30 AM
Trolls will be trolls.

Once again, you've proven that you have no point to be made. :D

westonm
Jun 14, 2013, 10:32 AM
I like it.

I would toy with getting rid of the top and bottom arrows and icons (despite those being the ones that actually exist in beta). As NC and CC are accessible everywhere users probably wouldn't need a constant reminder busying up the screen. The camera and unlock are the only special lock screen functions and should remain, but maybe with some alpha?

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 10:33 AM

I made my point in my original post, and in my original response to you. I'm not sure what your reading comprehension level is, but it would appear to be pretty low. :confused:

sawah
Jun 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
I like it, but it does remind me a little more of android. I think the lockscreen has lost it's iPhone feel with this update in a way. I almost wish they would have left the bars but have flattened them out to match the dock or something.

I sent you a message also, could you share that wallpaper? Looks great.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
Yes, it feels like I'm being cornered by icons.

I'm not sure a lock screen needs so much functionality, or at least so many visual cues.

I actually agree with you. The longer I've looked at the concept... the more I don't like the icons, especially the top and bottom ones. It may make sense for these icons (but not the arrows) to only show for a second or two after the phone is unlocked, and then have them fade away. This might be a possible medium between having icons and no icons.

----------

I like it, but it does remind me a little more of android. I think the lockscreen has lost it's iPhone feel with this update in a way. I almost wish they would have left the bars but have flattened them out to match the dock or something.

No problem... I will post it for you once I am back at home. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work for the day.

sawah
Jun 14, 2013, 10:37 AM
I actually agree with you. The longer I've looked at the concept... the more I don't like the icons, especially the top and bottom ones. It may make sense for these icons (but not the arrows) to only show for a second or two after the phone is unlocked, and then have them fade away. This might be a possible medium between having icons and no icons.

I like this idea of the icons fading out and say reappearing when you touch the screen.

----------

----------

No problem... I will post it for you once I am back at home. Unfortunately, I'm stuck at work for the day.

Perfect thanks. It's a nice simple wall, I've been searching for the perfect one :)

unintelligible
Jun 14, 2013, 10:37 AM

Good lord man, what is your problem? If you hate the idea of this thread so much, then just go away.

Anyway, I like the concept, only problem I have is that the controls for unlock and camera being in the middle of the screen is going to conflict with notifications. Currently they span the width of the already narrow phone so putting the controls there would make them even narrower. I wonder how it would look with the controls being to the left and right of the notification center icon, that might work.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 10:39 AM
I made my point in my original post, and in my original response to you. I'm not sure what your reading comprehension level is, but it would appear to be pretty low. :confused:

No you did not. Not once have you made a valid point. I have given you multiple opportunities to do so, but still nothing. What are you hoping to achieve with your little concept?

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 10:45 AM
No you did not. Not once have you made a valid point. I have given you multiple opportunities to do so, but still nothing. What are you hoping to achieve with your little concept?

Scott Forstall, is that you?

L-Tuned
Jun 14, 2013, 10:54 AM
Good lord man, what is your problem? If you hate the idea of this thread so much, then just go away.

No, he's a troll. Account just made 3 days ago, what do you expect anything good from him? :rolleyes:

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 10:55 AM

Yet again, what were you hoping to achieve? Beyond the obvious of creating a pointless "concept" simply to show others that you can and seeking out praise when you obviously feel the need for some.

falkedup
Jun 14, 2013, 10:56 AM
all they need to do is this

---->Slide To Unlock--->

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 10:58 AM
I don't think we need any arrows, people can easily figure it out for themselves. Something's gotta give with the clock font, and perhaps the camera.

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 10:59 AM
all they need to do is this

---->Slide To Unlock--->

I will admit, it took me a couple days to stop trying to swipe up to unlock. The CC identifier really threw me (subconsciously).

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
Yet again, what were you hoping to achieve? Beyond the obvious of creating a pointless "concept" simply to show others that you can and seeking out praise when you obviously feel the need for some.

I would go ahead and tell you a 3rd time, but I don't want to burden you with too much information. You already seem really dazed & confused. :(

----------

I will admit, it took me a couple days to stop trying to swipe up to unlock. The CC identifier really threw me (subconsciously).

Exactly! I knew I wasn't the only one.

----------

No, he's a troll. Account just made 3 days ago, what do you expect anything good from him? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I could tell after his first post. I don't expect any good from him, but he's fun to poke at. I love picturing him all upset and angry in front of his computer monitor slamming away at his keyboard.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
I would go ahead and tell you a 3rd time, but I don't want to burden you with too much information. You already seem really dazed & confused.

I am stilling waiting for your first response, which you never provided. What were you hoping to achieve? Was there a tangible purpose or were you merely wanting others to give you praise for your supposed skills?

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 11:49 AM
I am stilling waiting for your first response, which you never provided. What were you hoping to achieve? Was there a tangible purpose or were you merely wanting others to give you praise for your supposed skills?

http://i42.tinypic.com/35i0pzd.png

:o

mwxiao
Jun 14, 2013, 12:13 PM
It looks good until you have several notifications. When you slide to the right, you'll accidentally slide the notification instead of the unlock arrow.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 01:37 PM
It looks good until you have several notifications. When you slide to the right, you'll accidentally slide the notification instead of the unlock arrow.

You are right... I completely didn't even think of having notifications on the screen. This certainly presents a problem. :eek:

msmith2112
Jun 14, 2013, 03:00 PM
Love it! Any chance you could post that background? :)

sawah
Jun 14, 2013, 03:02 PM

He (she?) said he will after work for us :)

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 03:05 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mnhnq0.jpg

This was originally a desktop wallpaper, and I simply zoomed in on it for my iPhone's wallpaper.

msmith2112
Jun 14, 2013, 03:15 PM
Thanks!

sawah
Jun 14, 2013, 03:18 PM
Thankyou!

sdilley14
Jun 14, 2013, 03:19 PM
Looks nice, but I think the arrows and icons would need to be thinned out and lightened up a touch.

Also, I can't really see them moving the "slide to unlock" feature from the bottom of the phone, like hundreds of millions of people are used to, to another spot on the screen, just for the sake of change and no other functional/reasonable purpose.

chrisvanhorn
Jun 14, 2013, 03:23 PM
Looks nice, but I think the arrows and icons would need to be thinned out and lightened up a touch.

Also, I can't really see them moving the "slide to unlock" feature from the bottom of the phone, like hundreds of millions of people are used to, to another spot on the screen, just for the sake of change and no other functional/reasonable purpose.

The only reason I even was inspired to do this concept was because, again, that slide to unlock phrase no longer serves its original purpose. You can slide anywhere on the screen to unlock as long as it is in that direction.

profets
Jun 14, 2013, 03:39 PM
The only reason I even was inspired to do this concept was because, again, that slide to unlock phrase no longer serves its original purpose. You can slide anywhere on the screen to unlock as long as it is in that direction.

I love the idea. Great way to separate slide to unlock, control center, and the camera.

So often right now I attempt to slide up from the bottom to get to the camera but instead control center comes up.

chraos
Jun 14, 2013, 03:39 PM
its not a bad concept at all, i just personally feel its too busy. the thing I like about the current beta lockscreen is that despite the fact the slider is gone (glad its gone) the unlocking method for the phone remains the same...as in to unlock the phone you slide from left to right..and the quick camera function also remains the same as before (tapping the icon causes it to bounce up and swiping it up launches camera)...I like the ability to swipe anywhere to unlock the screen and the implementation is unlike Android or Windows Phone because it treats the lockscreen as if it were a home screen like page. Aside from the few spoiled 12 year olds, I am willing to bet 99% of people will figure out the new lockscreen in under 30 seconds and never forget it. The "slide to unlock" is almost an homage to the old lockscreen and I like the fact it remains....going back to this concept, maybe make the left and right arrows alpha like someone above mentioned so they gel with the up and down arrows. just my 0.02.