PDA

View Full Version : More pocket dials in 3 days than I've had in 5 years

mirzank
Jun 14, 2013, 12:27 AM
Had an iphone since the 3g, never ever have i pocket dialed a number or sent a random text message.

But since beta 1, i've made atleast a dozen pocket dials, sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket, and sent a few garbled sms'es. I have no idea whats going. I swear sometimes my phone isn't even in my pocket its on the table I pick it up and i see i made 4 calls and cancelled them.

Nothing about my habits has changed. When i'm putting my phone into my pocket i instinctually press the power button to sleep. Somes i forget to press it. same as ever. yet these random dials and sms's have become ridiculous.

I don't know if its because the slide to unlock thing is too sensitive. Or if something else is going on with my phone. Makes me think it was the smartest decision ever to have a slide to unlock area as before rather than the whole screen being an unlock zone. i'm sure sometimes when i'm taking my phone out of pocket i unlock it accidentally too if my finger rubs against it.

Vertigo50
Jun 14, 2013, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I think having the entire screen swipe-able was a bad idea, as it's very easy to trigger in your pocket. The swipe up gesture for the control center is the same way.

I also think it is set to be too sensitive right now, though. I used to have to be very specific about the slide to unlock gesture before. Now I just do a quick swipe and it works every single time.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 12:38 AM
Aside from pretty much the full screen now being the target area it also seems that it just requires only a swipe of about 1/3 of the screen to the right before the lockscreen can be dismissed.

This is all also discussed in some more detail at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1596017

Holty123
Jun 14, 2013, 06:00 AM
would a pass code help? until they fix it?

Patriot24
Jun 14, 2013, 07:53 AM

Yes. There is zero excuse not to have a passcode. These days our entire lives are accessible via these devices - personal data, financial, social networks, on and on. How people go without protecting that is beyond me.

WordMasterRice
Jun 14, 2013, 08:03 AM
Yes. There is zero excuse not to have a passcode. These days our entire lives are accessible via these devices - personal data, financial, social networks, on and on. How people go without protecting that is beyond me.

I don't want one, hey there is an excuse that works for me.

That ends up making this particular problem even worse though because then you just have a phone that is completely locked from too many failed passcode attempts while in your pocket.

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2013, 08:09 AM
I don't want one

This is an unwise choice, kemosabe.

Menel
Jun 14, 2013, 08:12 AM
I don't want one, hey there is an excuse that works for me.

That ends up making this particular problem even worse though because then you just have a phone that is completely locked from too many failed passcode attempts while in your pocket.The wipe when 10 failures occur is optional.

----------

This is an unwise choice, kemosabe.Some children have to learn the hard way. Can't be helped.

hafr
Jun 14, 2013, 08:18 AM

It would help against pocket dialling, but it would also mean a risk of locking the phone due to the wrong pass code being entered.

----------

The wipe when 10 failures occur is optional.

Yes, but the phone being rendered unusable for an ever increasing amount of time isn't.

Small White Car
Jun 14, 2013, 08:24 AM
Yes. There is zero excuse not to have a passcode.

I feel that the 5-minute delay on a passcode provides adequate safety and is a huge time saver during those times when I'm pulling my phone out repeatedly every few minutes.

Point is, I think my phone is safe and yet this pocket-dialing issue would still hit me.

FSMBP
Jun 14, 2013, 08:38 AM

That's your personal opinion...Every app that I consider important already have built-in passcodes.

Am I worried someone will steal my iPhone and temporarily read my mundane text conversations, see my 'artsy' food pics, and post something on my Facebook (God knows I don't)? Nope.

Patriot24
Jun 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
That's your personal opinion...Every app that I consider important already have built-in passcodes.

Am I worried someone will steal my iPhone and temporarily read my mundane text conversations, see my 'artsy' food pics, and post something on my Facebook (God knows I don't)? Nope.

Most people's lives could be ruined in a matter of minutes with malicious texts, e-mails, phone calls, Facebook status updates, tweets, Instagrams, YouTube videos, and much more that aren't protected by any kind of app-level passcode or security.

Also, all 2-step verification systems currently use SMS or apps on your phone as the method of validating who you are. That means that someone could easily gain access to additional data if they really wanted to.

Lastly, every time I see a post on the forums about a stolen iPhone or iPad where the thief put the phone in Airplane mode before it cold be tracked via Find My iPhone get no sympathy from me. With a passcode, the only option they have is to turn it off.

Bottom line, you're playing with fire if you think there's no need for a passcode.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 11:26 AM
I think we have established that at this point of the passcode is not really the underlying solution. Even with the passcode there still an issue with pocket dialing trying to enter the passcode too many times and locking out you from your phone (not erasing data but just locking out because after number of attempts you have to wait for longer longer period of time to enter the passcode again) so that's not really a solution to this problem.

Patriot24
Jun 14, 2013, 11:34 AM
I think we have established that at this point of the passcode is not really the underlying solution. Even with the passcode there still an issue with pocket dialing trying to enter the passcode too many times and locking out you from your phone (not erasing data but just locking out because after number of attempts you have to wait for longer longer period of time to enter the passcode again) so that's not really a solution to this problem.

Fair enough. My ranting on passcodes was somewhat tangential, albeit important IMO.

Regarding the pocket dial issue, it seems bizarre to me that the home button or sleep/wake is pressed, a full slide is performed, and multiple inputs are received in your pocket. I feel like my phone doesn't move around that much in my pocket.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 11:44 AM
Fair enough. My ranting on passcodes was somewhat tangential, albeit important IMO.

Regarding the pocket dial issue, it seems bizarre to me that the home button or sleep/wake is pressed, a full slide is performed, and multiple inputs are received in your pocket. I feel like my phone doesn't move around that much in my pocket. Well one of the big differences that you no longer really need a full slide you just need to slide about a third of the screen over. And now pretty much the whole screen is a target for slide to unlock instead of a smallish area size of a button toward the bottom of the screen as it used to be in the previous versions. That can make quite a difference for some.

bbeagle
Jun 14, 2013, 11:52 AM

I don't have a passcode, because I don't want to have to type in those 4 digits dozens of times a day. It makes no sense.

I live in a safe area. I trust everyone around me, and I live in the suburbs where I know everyone, not an inner city where I walk by strangers all the time. I use it at home, at work, and in my car. Rarely anywhere else, and I don't use it while walking down the street.

It all depends on your use case. I think there is zero excuse TO have a passcode.

ross1998
Jun 14, 2013, 12:14 PM

I leave my passcode off because I don't really have information on my phone that would ruin my life if someone was to steal it, and my second reason is if someone was to find your iphone and they are good people, they can easily go into your contacts and call someone like 'mom' or 'dad' or 'wife'.

----------

Regarding the pocket dial issue, it seems bizarre to me that the home button or sleep/wake is pressed, a full slide is performed, and multiple inputs are received in your pocket. I feel like my phone doesn't move around that much in my pocket.

you don't have to press power button or home button to turn the screen on, whenever message comes the screen turns on by itself

noobinator
Jun 14, 2013, 12:21 PM
What you all got in your pockets??

sou1 so1di3r
Jun 14, 2013, 12:25 PM
quit playing pocket pool :p

DDustiNN
Jun 14, 2013, 12:32 PM
I think the issue is the Notification Center being accessible from the lock screen. That takes much less of a flick to access, then a quick tap of a text message takes you right to it and let's you call people too.

I never understood why people want to access functionality from the lock screen. Doesn't that completely defeat the lock purpose?? I personally don't want anything on my lock screen. The only things I allow are missed phone calls and reminders. Anything else can wait until I open my phone.

Anyway, try disabling NC from opening on the lock screen and see if that helps.

snarestud940
Jun 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
I think the issue is the Notification Center being accessible from the lock screen. That takes much less of a flick to access, then a quick tap of a text message takes you right to it and let's you call people too.

I never understood why people want to access functionality from the lock screen. Doesn't that completely defeat the lock purpose?? I personally don't want anything on my lock screen. The only things I allow are missed phone calls and reminders. Anything else can wait until I open my phone.

Anyway, try disabling NC from opening on the lock screen and see if that helps.

How do you do this?

mirzank
Jun 14, 2013, 01:34 PM

i actually already have a passcode. have had for a while. set to relock my phone again after 5 minutes. so basically what happens is if i do have the lock on, is that either i'm in the emergency call screen a lot trying to dial a number. Or Its accidentally input an incorrect passcode enough times that when i take it out it says phone locked too many attemps wait x minutes.

if they keep this slide feature the way it is in current form, basically wipe after 10 attempts becomes useless. I can just imagine the number of pocket erases. also having a passcode becomes necessary but a pain at the same time. without a passcode we'll all be dialing in our pockets constantly. having a code though with immediate relock would mean i'd be inputting my lock code every 10 seconds.

zioxide
Jun 14, 2013, 01:39 PM
i actually already have a passcode. have had for a while. set to relock my phone again after 5 minutes. so basically what happens is if i do have the lock on, is that either i'm in the emergency call screen a lot trying to dial a number. Or Its accidentally input an incorrect passcode enough times that when i take it out it says phone locked too many attemps wait x minutes.

if they keep this slide feature the way it is in current form, basically wipe after 10 attempts becomes useless. I can just imagine the number of pocket erases. also having a passcode becomes necessary but a pain at the same time. without a passcode we'll all be dialing in our pockets constantly. having a code though with immediate relock would mean i'd be inputting my lock code every 10 seconds.

Since when does the phone randomly wake up without hitting the lock or home button first? I don't understand? You can't unlock the thing by swiping when the screen is off.

mirzank
Jun 14, 2013, 01:47 PM
to answer another frequent comment in this thread...i carry my phone in my pocket without anything in that pocket. no keys. no change.

Maybe its something specific to me but sometimes i'll have my hands in my suit pockets. one of them has my phone in it. i've never ever encountered a pocket dial uptil ios 7.

The point is that my habits haven't changed. I bet those others complaining about this being issue are in the same boat. their habits haven't changed. yet they are seeing this horrible phone behaviour.

As for passcode lock, i agree its important but again because it IS an option in ios to leave it on or off, phones features should normally and fully work whether they have a code lock or not depending on preference.

----------

Since when does the phone randomly wake up without hitting the lock or home button first? I don't understand? You can't unlock the thing by swiping when the screen is off.

so two aspects to this. first of all when you get a email, sms, etc the phone turns on, thus allowing the swipe feature to work. now take phones, sms, facebook notifcations, whatsapp, viber, news apps, alarms, reminders, and the lots and lots of other push apps we all have on our phone and theres ample opportunity when the phone screen is on in our pockets.

Secondly, like I said, I'm also trying to sort out WHY exactly this is happened in ios 7 and never before. you're right to be skeptical because its obviously not happening to you. but the point is it IS happening to some of us. and the direct culprit is the change in phone unlock behavior. I initially actually thought there was some bug in beta 1 that was doing random things in my phone. but when i noticed that my phone was locking me out for x minutes, or i was trying to dial a number on the emergency screen i realized its to do with the slide feature.

zioxide
Jun 14, 2013, 01:59 PM
so two aspects to this. first of all when you get a email, sms, etc the phone turns on, thus allowing the swipe feature to work. now take phones, sms, facebook notifcations, whatsapp, viber, news apps, alarms, reminders, and the lots and lots of other push apps we all have on our phone and theres ample opportunity when the phone screen is on in our pockets.

Secondly, like I said, I'm also trying to sort out WHY exactly this is happened in ios 7 and never before. you're right to be skeptical because its obviously not happening to you. but the point is it IS happening to some of us. and the direct culprit is the change in phone unlock behavior. I initially actually thought there was some bug in beta 1 that was doing random things in my phone. but when i noticed that my phone was locking me out for x minutes, or i was trying to dial a number on the emergency screen i realized its to do with the slide feature.

I didn't think about the screen turning on when you get an incoming notification, but now that you mention it, I can definitely see how it would happen then.

I don't see how it could happen if you didn't get a notification though... it has to either be a bug in the beta or you're accidentally bumping one of the buttons and not realizing it.

Definitely a weird issue though.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 04:27 PM

Anyway, try disabling NC from opening on the lock screen and see if that helps.You may be onto something here as well. Might be worth a try for those who are having these kinds of issues to disable Notification Center (and perhaps Command Center) from lockscreen and see if that might help.

DDustiNN
Jun 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
How do you do this?

It's the first option in Settings when you choose Notification Center.

josielinnea
Jun 16, 2013, 03:09 PM
I'm having the same issue as the TS, and I haven't changed anything since I got the original iPhone and until now. I've now deselected access to Notification Center from the lock screen and I hope that helps. Freaking annoying...
I say, bring back the "Slide to unlock" specific area..!

JayLenochiniMac
Jun 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
Everyone is missing the obvious solution: Hit the sleep/wake button to sleep it before you put it in your pocket. You should be in the habit of doing it whenever you're finished using your iPhone anyway to conserve battery life.

ijohn.8.80
Jun 16, 2013, 10:30 PM
But since beta 1, i've made atleast a dozen pocket dials, sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket, and sent a few garbled sms'es.

Turn your phone around so the screen is facing outwards when it is in your pocket.

snarestud940
Jun 17, 2013, 02:06 AM
It's the first option in Settings when you choose Notification Center.

oh! only in iOS7?

mirzank
Jun 17, 2013, 03:07 AM
Everyone is missing the obvious solution: Hit the sleep/wake button to sleep it before you put it in your pocket. You should be in the habit of doing it whenever you're finished using your iPhone anyway to conserve battery life.

Yes like i mentioned twice already, i already do this.
But i also mentioned that my habits haven't changed suddenly in 3 days. even though i press the power button, sometimes i'm sure i forget to.
Also its not just that the key presses happen when the phone hasn't been put to sleep. youre phone wakes up and is open to accepting screen input when you are receiving a call, an sms, email, or any kind of notification, or generally push notification from any of the dozens of apps that send me push notifications.

----------

Turn your phone around so the screen is facing outwards when it is in your pocket.

horrible "solution". most of us put the pohne in our pocket screen inside. If for no other reason than thats the natural way that you use the phone and then put in your pocket. also screen outside means possible damage if you bump into anything.

I have to wonder though if you work for apple. your solution is similar to "you're holding it wrong".

I guarantee you once ios 7 goes public this WILL be a problem for more than a few people. people won't have an issue with the icons or the changes or anything though that people here are complaining about. but pocket dials they will 100% complain about.

AdamA9
Jun 17, 2013, 04:16 AM
I have the same issue (but passcode locks). I find placing the screen away from my leg when in my pocket prevents this.

Hopefully Apple will change the whole screen slide in future updates.

Edit: didn't realise there was a second page to this (hence the repeat of the above)

Jordan921
Jun 17, 2013, 04:28 AM
Had an iphone since the 3g, never ever have i pocket dialed a number or sent a random text message.

But since beta 1, i've made atleast a dozen pocket dials, sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket, and sent a few garbled sms'es. I have no idea whats going. I swear sometimes my phone isn't even in my pocket its on the table I pick it up and i see i made 4 calls and cancelled them.

Nothing about my habits has changed. When i'm putting my phone into my pocket i instinctually press the power button to sleep. Somes i forget to press it. same as ever. yet these random dials and sms's have become ridiculous.

I don't know if its because the slide to unlock thing is too sensitive. Or if something else is going on with my phone. Makes me think it was the smartest decision ever to have a slide to unlock area as before rather than the whole screen being an unlock zone. i'm sure sometimes when i'm taking my phone out of pocket i unlock it accidentally too if my finger rubs against it.

Since I've had iOS 7 beta I haven't had an issue with pocket dialing at all. Never had any issues with pocket dialing on all the iPhones I've had also.

bbfc
Jun 17, 2013, 05:35 AM
Since I've had iOS 7 beta I haven't had an issue with pocket dialing at all. Never had any issues with pocket dialing on all the iPhones I've had also.

Same here. I don't get how this is happening. Are people wearing tight trousers or playing with the power/home button in their pockets? I just don't get it.

AdamA9
Jun 17, 2013, 05:37 AM
Same here. I don't get how this is happening. Are people wearing tight trousers or playing with the power/home button in their pockets? I just don't get it.

I was putting my phone in top first as I was listening to music and the headphone jack is on the bottom. Walking pressed the top into the bottom of the pocket activating the lock button to present the screen. Walking was then activating slide to unlock.

Fortunately I was only locked out of my phone rather than it being wiped. I've resorted to turning the screen away from my leg now, when I remember.

DDustiNN
Jun 17, 2013, 07:16 AM
oh! only in iOS7?

Yep.

rtomyj
Jun 17, 2013, 02:46 PM
Uh how does your phone come on with only two buttons that wake it up? These buttons are also hard to hit in a pocket.
I always put it in my pocket and have had the beta from day one and it has not called anyone.

DDustiNN
Jun 17, 2013, 02:54 PM
Uh how does your phone come on with only two buttons that wake it up? These buttons are also hard to hit in a pocket.
I always put it in my pocket and have had the beta from day one and it has not called anyone.

The screen also comes on when you get notifications.

I can't stand that, so I turned all of mine off except phone calls and reminders. Nothing else needs to ever wake my phone or display on my lock screen. I dunno how people can stand getting so many notifications, like from stupid games and all that stuff.

C DM
Jun 17, 2013, 02:57 PM
I always put it in my pocket and have had the beta from day one and it has not called anyone.Don't forget, the screen also gets woken up on its own with notifications, which can be quite a lot depending on what notifications you have set and how often they come in.

----------

I can't stand that, so I turned all of mine off except phone calls and reminders. Nothing else needs to ever wake my phone or display on my lock screen. I dunno how people can stand getting so many notifications, like from stupid games and all that stuff.I disable quite a few from appearing on the lockscreen (or even as banners/alerts), but for a fair number of apps I leave it there too (phone, reminders, calendar, messages, VIP mail, and various other apps that I want to have updates from in a more immediate fashion).

rtomyj
Jun 17, 2013, 04:01 PM

I can't stand that, so I turned all of mine off except phone calls and reminders. Nothing else needs to ever wake my phone or display on my lock screen. I dunno how people can stand getting so many notifications, like from stupid games and all that stuff.
Touché but even then my screen doesn't unlock. I also run a lot while phone is in pocket with a lot of notifications coming in (enabled, not that I'm popular haha) and still nothing.

illyb2000
Jun 17, 2013, 04:35 PM
sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket

I can't get whatsapp to work ?

HCO
Jun 17, 2013, 04:48 PM
i haven't had any pocket dials but my iPhone screen has been unlocked and had emails with random words and txts with a few letters and spaces. but no dialing.

C DM
Jun 17, 2013, 05:45 PM
Touché but even then my screen doesn't unlock. I also run a lot while phone is in pocket with a lot of notifications coming in (enabled, not that I'm popular haha) and still nothing.Seems like it's not an issue for you. That said, it does appear that there are people who didn't have this issue who now seem to experience it since installing iOS 7 (beta 1), so something has changed.

DDustiNN
Jun 17, 2013, 05:47 PM
Touché but even then my screen doesn't unlock. I also run a lot while phone is in pocket with a lot of notifications coming in (enabled, not that I'm popular haha) and still nothing.

But with iOS 7, when the screen is on (and locked), you can still access the pull-down notification center and pull-up control center. I think you can also tap message notifications to reply.

Lots of things that completely defeat the purpose of a lock screen to begin with.

darngooddesign
Jun 17, 2013, 05:57 PM
I put the screen facing away from my leg to avoid that in the past.

darkfiber
Jun 18, 2013, 01:35 AM
What you all got in your pockets??

http://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5910987264/hF41EA19C/

mirzank
Jun 19, 2013, 11:31 PM
sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket

I can't get whatsapp to work ?

this is very odd... i also sent my location through whatsapp a bunch of times. thats really odd that we both sent the same thing...i mean thats very specific localized random pocket button presses.

portishead
Jun 19, 2013, 11:44 PM
I keep my phone in my front pocket. I've never pocket dialed, pocket texted, or pocket unlocked, or pocket erased my phone.

What are you people doing in your pockets? Nevermind, don't tell me.

macachia
Jun 20, 2013, 12:08 AM
ever since mid 2007 i had an iPhone and i never had a problem with pocket dials until ios7. The probably cause id the ability to unlock/swipe left to right from any part of the lock screen and not just the lower segment bar as previous iOS versions had.

so yes, the original poster may be right as i've dialled numerous times already without knowing

Trius
Jun 20, 2013, 12:48 AM
Maybe the solution is a fingerprint sensor that unlocks the phone..

Sheza
Jun 20, 2013, 12:55 AM
Weird, I didn't have pocket dials before iOS7 and I still don't now.

TrenttonY
Jun 20, 2013, 01:50 AM
They need to limit the unlock to only the slide to unlock text, this will help with the butt unlock problem and it will help the scrub music on lockscreen feature. You have to scrub carefully because if you don't you the whole screen will move and unlock the phone.

JRoDDz
Jun 27, 2013, 09:37 AM

I have a pass-code on mine. What happens is you pull your phone out of your pocket and it says "phone locked for xx minutes", it's a major pain in the rear.

I believe what's happening is the slide to unlock is being triggered and random digits are being punched in for pass-code while inside the pocket.

----------

I've tried this, and same issue. Slide to unlock being activated and random numbers punched into pin resulting in locked phone for several minutes.

Mad Mac Maniac
Jun 27, 2013, 12:41 PM
This whole passcode/no passcode debate has me hoping that if/when Apple comes out with an iWatch, they will incorporate some sort of proximity feature where if the iWatch is within 4 feet of your iPhone the passcode is disabled. That'd be awesome.

chrf097
Jun 27, 2013, 01:04 PM
I don't see how anyone is able to get their screen to activate in their pockets. It's a simple solution: don't put your phone in your pocket with other stuff.

I keep my phone in my pocket all the time with iOS 7 and not once has it activated.

dontpannic
Jun 27, 2013, 01:10 PM
Just going to weigh in here and say that my pocket dialling etc has been the same number in both iOS 6 and iOS 7.

This is with, without a passcode - in fact, I've never accidentally dialled someone since I've had an iPhone (2009).

Although the slide to unlock is the entire screen now, it still takes the same amount of horizontal movement to be able to unlock it as before.

C DM
Jun 27, 2013, 04:56 PM
I don't see how anyone is able to get their screen to activate in their pockets. It's a simple solution: don't put your phone in your pocket with other stuff.

I keep my phone in my pocket all the time with iOS 7 and not once has it activated.Great, not an issue for you. But, as clearly mentioned by a few people earlier in this thread (and other similar ones), people don't keep anything else in the pocket aside from the phone, and same exact use with iOS 6 hasn't resulted in this kind of an issue that they are now experiencing with iOS 7.

Sodner
Jun 27, 2013, 05:05 PM
I keep my iPhone in my front pants pocket all the time and with iOS 7 I have yet to have any pocket dials.

MoparShaha
Jun 27, 2013, 06:48 PM
It started happening to me today. I've been running iOS 7 since Beta 1 came out and it hadn't happened till now. It's been particularly hot and humid, and I have my phone in my pocket with the screen facing my leg. I believe the humidity is making it easier for the phone to detect a "touch".

For the time being, I've turned the phone around so the screen is facing out. I don't like this however, as the screen could get damaged if I bump into something hard enough, and now I have to rotate the phone once I pull it out of my pocket to see the screen. Minor annoyances, I know. Still, this wasn't an issue with the lock screen design on prior iOS's.

Zerilos
Jun 27, 2013, 07:04 PM
Learned this with my Droid 2 years ago: alway turn off your screen when not using phone.

C DM
Jun 27, 2013, 07:35 PM
Learned this with my Droid 2 years ago: alway turn off your screen when not using phone.That's not really an issue here as the screens are turned off before the phones are placed in pockets.

row1e
Jul 4, 2013, 03:50 AM
Just wanted to add my 2 cents.
Had this problem since I installed iOS 7 two weeks ago. Truly frustrating. Had about 20 different actions performed in my pocket. Dialed numbers, sent messages, sent a picture in whatsapp once, changed a group name and more.
Never happened to me with any previous iOS version.

This happens when the phone is completely locked. While walking you get a push notification from any app. This causes the phone to turn on and with just a little movement in you pocket it opens the lock screen and start to perform actions.
Don't understand how this doesn't happen to everyone. Maybe you should try to walk more. ;)

I placed a lockscreen but now it locks my phone for 5 minutes after a few failed attempts. Truly annoying, not really solves the problem.

I hope that Apple will address this issue before releasing iOS7.

MisterDisney
Jul 4, 2013, 05:02 AM
Yeah, no pocket calls. But I did take my iPhone out to use it, yesterday, only to find it was locked out for 15 minutes.

katanna
Jul 15, 2013, 03:25 PM
I have been plagued with iOS 7 unlocking in my pocket. I believe that this is due to a low tolerance of sliding WHEN notifications come in.

The next time you get a notification, try sliding anywhere on the screen except the notification. It takes a significant slide to get it to open. (Slide To Unlock, Control Center, and Notification Center all take a strong slide to unlock.) Now barely flick on the notification itself.

Seams like if you barely flick on the notification it unlocks the phone which is leading to A LOT of unlocking in my pocket. Hope that they fix this soon!

Matthew

b0uch3
Jul 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
This happens to me daily. Most annoying is when I'm doing something like yard work and listening to a podcast. The cast skips to the next/previous one. A few texts with one letter have been sent some like "zzzzsxxxccccc"

sou1 so1di3r
Jul 15, 2013, 05:36 PM
I agree, this has been happening to me a lot lately. Annoying. :(

bluespider
Jul 15, 2013, 05:42 PM
funny, i was having the same problem... i ended up moving my phone app to the middle of the dock rather than on the end... seems to have helped.

ri0ku
Jul 15, 2013, 06:44 PM
can't you guys just put a pass code lock on the phone ... ? it's not that big a deal.

C DM
Jul 15, 2013, 06:58 PM
can't you guys just put a pass code lock on the phone ... ? it's not that big a deal.If you have a passcode lock and you encounter this you can get locked out of your phone for some time--each time a passcode is attempted (which can happen with a pocket dial) and is wrong is counted and after a few you start getting locked out from your phone for a period of time, starting with a short period and going on longer. So, how great would it be to take out your phone and see that you are locked out for 15 minutes (if not longer) and you basically can't use it at all until that time expires? People have already posted that they have ran into this. Doesn't sound like a big deal...to others who aren't running into this.

PNutts
Jul 15, 2013, 06:59 PM
can't you guys just put a pass code lock on the phone ... ? it's not that big a deal.

The people with passcodes are the ones with their phones locked for X minutes. A pocket dial is turned into an incorrect password attempt. Same problem different results.

Frederico Luna
Jul 15, 2013, 09:45 PM
My biggest issue is when the phone rings in my pocket. While I'm taking it out, it activates the quick reply message menu and sometimes it refuses the call.

My dad called the other day and not only did I refuse the call but accidentally sent a SMS saying: "Can't talk right now...". I only realized 20 minutes later.

Yes, it sucks...

nikicampos
Jul 15, 2013, 10:09 PM
How the... really, how?? Can someone explain to me how is this even possible, I haven't pocket dial anyone in 4 years since I started using iPhone, not even with iOS7.

"sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket" This is even more amazing, it takes about 5 steps from the home screen to do this.

How many times does anyone feels the need to put their hands in their pockets?

tmanto02
Jul 15, 2013, 10:23 PM
My pocket dials are out of control right now! I have been locked out of my phone twice since beta 3 due to incorrect passcode. very annoying however no doubt it will be fixed before ios7s release.

C DM
Jul 15, 2013, 11:06 PM
My pocket dials are out of control right now! I have been locked out of my phone twice since beta 3 due to incorrect passcode. very annoying however no doubt it will be fixed before ios7s release.No doubt? I don't know if Apple will redesign the unlocking mechanism again before the official launch. We'll see I guess.

acctman
Jul 16, 2013, 02:16 AM
just put 1111 or 0000 as a password and be done. the slide to unlock is going to stay so all the ranting and back/fourth won't change anything.

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 02:41 AM
just put 1111 or 0000 as a password and be done. the slide to unlock is going to stay so all the ranting and back/fourth won't change anything.it would really help if people actually read through the thread--even just the last few replies--before posting something that not only has been brought up a few times but also shown not to be a solution of any sort (if not something that could even be worse at times).

ax8291
Jul 16, 2013, 02:43 AM
Never had any pocket dials with iOS7, but it's indeed much more possible to activate quick reply or call reminder by mistake.

Hey, wouldn't it be great if proximity sensor was used in lock screen?:D If the phone finds itself in a pocket, then no touches will be registered, this would eliminate pocket dials right? Possibly more battery drain?:confused:

tmanto02
Jul 16, 2013, 03:43 AM
No doubt? I don't know if Apple will redesign the unlocking mechanism again before the official launch. We'll see I guess.

We'll see...

Naor
Jul 16, 2013, 04:18 AM
Doesn't happen to me. How's that?

BlankStar
Jul 16, 2013, 04:39 AM
Doesn't happen to me. How's that?

Ow, you don't have the problem, guess this thread can be closed then huh?

And on topic, as stated, I also use a passlock now that activates after a while. It's a workaround, not a sollution. We can only hope future beta's will solve it...

acctman
Jul 16, 2013, 06:52 AM
it would really help if people actually read through the thread--even just the last few replies--before posting something that not only has been brought up a few times but also shown not to be a solution of any sort (if not something that could even be worse at times).

i did read and i'm aware of the pocket dial that he's talking about. it does not happen when the screen is locked with a password. the screen wakes up when you get a text/notification hence the reason for having a password to stop an accidental dial/redial

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 09:32 AM
Doesn't happen to me. How's that?Not everything in life happens to everyone, yet that doesn't mean anything as far as it happening for someone else and perhaps being an issue for them.

----------

i did read and i'm aware of the pocket dial that he's talking about. it does not happen when the screen is locked with a password. the screen wakes up when you get a text/notification hence the reason for having a password to stop an accidental dial/redialIf you read the thread you would have seen that those who have a password and experience this issue end up getting locked out of their phones because instead of unlocking and randomly pressing things and dialing phone numbers, for example, the phone gets random things entered on the password screen which are counted as incorrect attempts that can often lead to the phone being disabled for a period of time.

So is that better somehow than random dialing? Still and issue clearly. This was just covered a few posts ago again (in addition to being covered earlier in the thread).

mariotr87
Jul 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
Now that music controls are always present on the lock screen I'm having the issue of volume being changed randomly, as well as skipping songs etc. This should be addressed as well, I think music controls shouldn't be there by default.
Double clicking the home button is a pita but single clicking to show them should be OK (basically the opposite behavior it has now).

As for the pocket dials and any other sort of problem related to this, I think they should also limit the range of the screen you can use to unlock it.

Also, why is the screen being turned on when the volume is changed through the volume buttons? That doesn't make any sense and it increases the risk of having these issues.

stooovie
Jul 16, 2013, 12:42 PM
Not pocket dials, but accodentally stopping music playback, which is really weird. Only happens when in pocket.

MEJHarrison
Jul 16, 2013, 02:27 PM
This thread is an amazing demonstration of how little people pay attention. It's the electronic equivalent of overhearing a snippet of conversation, approaching that group, spitting out something that doesn't make sense in the context of the actual conversation, then walking away again (likely feeling smug about "educating" the dummies).

I'm also impressed that some people can calmly explain the same thing over and over and over. Bravo for keeping the thread on topic.

Skyfall
Jul 16, 2013, 02:31 PM
This thread is an amazing demonstration of how little people pay attention. It's the electronic equivalent of overhearing a snippet of conversation, approaching that group, spitting out something that doesn't make sense in the context of the actual conversation, then walking away again (likely feeling smug about "educating" the dummies).

I'm also impressed that some people can calmly explain the same thing over and over and over. Bravo for keeping the thread on topic.

Terrible analogy.

ZombiePete
Jul 16, 2013, 02:31 PM
Now that music controls are always present on the lock screen I'm having the issue of volume being changed randomly, as well as skipping songs etc. This should be addressed as well, I think music controls shouldn't be there by default.
Double clicking the home button is a pita but single clicking to show them should be OK (basically the opposite behavior it has now).

Call me crazy, but wasn't that the default behavior in iOS 6 as well?

Also, why is the screen being turned on when the volume is changed through the volume buttons? That doesn't make any sense and it increases the risk of having these issues.

Not seeing this behavior myself. Just tried it and couldn't replicate.

CamiMR
Jul 16, 2013, 02:33 PM
How the... really, how?? Can someone explain to me how is this even possible, I haven't pocket dial anyone in 4 years since I started using iPhone, not even with iOS7.

"sent my location on whatsapp through my pocket" This is even more amazing, it takes about 5 steps from the home screen to do this.

How many times does anyone feels the need to put their hands in their pockets?

Couldn't agree more!!
Wouldn't you have to press home or sleep for that to be possible?!
Been using ios7 since B1 and this has never happened to me...

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 02:34 PM
Call me crazy, but wasn't that the default behavior in iOS 6 as well?

Not seeing this behavior myself. Just tried it and couldn't replicate.With iOS 6 and before, when playing music/audio with the phone locked, you had to double tap the home button to get the music controls to appear on the locked screen, while with iOS 7 they are there right away without even a single tap of the home button.

----------

Couldn't agree more!!
Wouldn't you have to press home or sleep for that to be possible?!
Been using ios7 since B1 and this has never happened to me...Stranger things in the real world happen all the time, so something like this is certainly far far from impossible, especially now that unlocking the screen seems to be much easier and is in fact a proven issue for at least some people.

ZombiePete
Jul 16, 2013, 02:53 PM
Been using ios7 since B1 and this has never happened to me...

One thing I always try to remember before I make a post like this, and it's that my anecdotal experiences don't necessarily translate to everyone else and so it's really not that great a contribution to the conversation. I've never experienced this issue either and my phone is in my pocket a lot, essentially naked, with lots of notifications coming in. However, clearly it *is* happening to enough other people that it makes sense for them to discuss it.

----------

With iOS 6 and before, when playing music/audio with the phone locked, you had to double tap the home button to get the music controls to appear on the locked screen, while with iOS 7 they are there right away without even a single tap of the home button.

Fair; I guess I just got used to performing a "double click" and didn't think too much about it. Since I haven't had the pocket unlocking issues I like having the music controls "right there", but I can see how it might be an annoyance to some.

haydn!
Jul 16, 2013, 03:08 PM
Just a quick question. I thought that iPhone touch screen would only recognise the touch from a skin? Hence why it doesn't work with gloves on, or if you try to use a standard stylus. So how is it unlocking in the first place?

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 03:11 PM
Just a quick question. I thought that iPhone touch screen would only recognise the touch from a skin? Hence why it doesn't work with gloves on, or if you try to use a standard stylus. So how is it unlocking in the first place?Well, that's not quite the case since, for example, you can easily use the phone through a shirt for example (basically at least a somewhat thin layer of fabric).

CamiMR
Jul 16, 2013, 04:47 PM
One thing I always try to remember before I make a post like this, and it's that my anecdotal experiences don't necessarily translate to everyone else and so it's really not that great a contribution to the conversation. I've never experienced this issue either and my phone is in my pocket a lot, essentially naked, with lots of notifications coming in. However, clearly it *is* happening to enough other people that it makes sense for them to discuss it.

Fair enough, I see your point. Didn't even occur to me that with notifications coming in the screen does become "active" even if locked, therefore vulnerable to an accidental swipe... I stand corrected! :)

Tubamajuba
Jul 16, 2013, 05:19 PM

Yeah. Well whatever, but I just don't think people pay attention very well.

:D

In all seriousness, I agree completely. I have never personally experienced this issue, but I know that my experiences are just that- MINE. Other people have different usage scenarios, and it is very plausible that the new slide-to-unlock functionality is a little oversensitive. So rather than insinuate that all of you deviants are touching yourselves inappropriately (as has been done already in this thread- seriously?), I'll express my sympathy for you all, and I hope Apple takes a look at this between now and the fall.

C DM
Jul 16, 2013, 08:12 PM
Fair enough, I see your point. Didn't even occur to me that with notifications coming in the screen does become "active" even if locked, therefore vulnerable to an accidental swipe... I stand corrected! :)Really? The screen always turned on and became active even in previous iOS versions. It's just that in iOS 7 there are more controls available on the screen now and more of it responds to touches (accidental or not).

aimee.elizabeth
Jul 16, 2013, 08:32 PM
Really? The screen always turned on and became active even in previous iOS versions. It's just that in iOS 7 there are more controls available on the screen now and more of it responds to touches (accidental or not).

Yeah I agree, I think the most prominent problems being easily unlocked in your pocket and music controls being changed accidentally. Before iOS 7, the unlock area was confined to one small area and needed movement in that precise area before the screen would unlock. Now, it's basically a free for all, any swipe from anywhere on the screen would potentially trigger something - unlock, notification center, or control center (and yes I know you can disable 2 of those).

As for music controls being the default on the lock screen, just seems very unpolished to me. Before the music controls would always revert back to clock after you're done with it and your screen darkens. But now, even if you revert it back to the clock, it doesn't stay that way when you wake the phone up again. It's very annoying to me because I feel like it's way too accessible. On iOS 6, the lock screen feels very finished and feels like an actual lock screen, because it was simple, it was a gate between you and the phone. But on iOS 7, I feel like the gate is becoming rusty and too easily opened.

OziMac
Jul 20, 2013, 11:54 PM
I've been following this thread for a while as I've had the same issue with pocket dialling.

It's not much of a solution, but as suggested above I did enable the passcode lock (and not a trivial 0000 or 1111 code) on a short automatic lock timing. This has certainly reduced the issue (despite my feelings about having the lock in the first place) - but nevertheless, I've still had the odd pocket dial and of course the more than occasional incorrect passcode entry (though thankfully no lockouts - yet). I have nothing else in that pocket, though I can't deny that it does get moved around a lot.

I agree with the assessment above that this is happening largely because of the fact that the target area for "Slide to Unlock" has increased immensely, and the sensitivity of the slide is far greater than it used to be. I put it at about 50 per cent, whereas previously the slider needed to go across almost the whole way in the defined target area before unlocking.

I'm willing to accept that as a developer and beta tester, this is the sort of thing you have to put up with. However, if this isn't ironed out before the final release of iOS 7, this is ripe to become yet another one of those issues that the public at large will complain endlessly about, and with pretty good reason. Pocket dialling is annoying as it is, but unintentionally dialling people who you seldom contact, people with international numbers, work contacts etc is going to be a big deal that people are not going to like.

I'm hoping that before the release the target area is limited to the space immediately surrounding the "Slide to Unlock" text and the slider requires a swipe of at least 75 per cent of the screen area before unlocking. I'd much rather be annoyed at completing a full swipe every time you need to unlock the phone than the endless unfortunate possibilities associated with potential unintentional pocket dialling.

C DM
Jul 21, 2013, 12:57 AM
I've been following this thread for a while as I've had the same issue with pocket dialling.

It's not much of a solution, but as suggested above I did enable the passcode lock (and not a trivial 0000 or 1111 code) on a short automatic lock timing. This has certainly reduced the issue (despite my feelings about having the lock in the first place) - but nevertheless, I've still had the odd pocket dial and of course the more than occasional incorrect passcode entry (though thankfully no lockouts - yet). I have nothing else in that pocket, though I can't deny that it does get moved around a lot.

I agree with the assessment above that this is happening largely because of the fact that the target area for "Slide to Unlock" has increased immensely, and the sensitivity of the slide is far greater than it used to be. I put it at about 50 per cent, whereas previously the slider needed to go across almost the whole way in the defined target area before unlocking.

I'm willing to accept that as a developer and beta tester, this is the sort of thing you have to put up with. However, if this isn't ironed out before the final release of iOS 7, this is ripe to become yet another one of those issues that the public at large will complain endlessly about, and with pretty good reason. Pocket dialling is annoying as it is, but unintentionally dialling people who you seldom contact, people with international numbers, work contacts etc is going to be a big deal that people are not going to like.

I'm hoping that before the release the target area is limited to the space immediately surrounding the "Slide to Unlock" text and the slider requires a swipe of at least 75 per cent of the screen area before unlocking. I'd much rather be annoyed at completing a full swipe every time you need to unlock the phone than the endless unfortunate possibilities associated with potential unintentional pocket dialling.Yup, making unlocking that much easier almost defeats the purpose of locking.

Geckotek
Jul 21, 2013, 01:12 AM
Bottom line, you're playing with fire if you think there's no need for a passcode.

I loved playing with fire as a kid, why change now?

I had to carry a Note for a while. One reason I hated it? It pocket dialed 911 more than once on me. And now my iPhone is doing this??!? I really hope Apple realizes how much of a mistake they've made and correct this before the GM.

The other issue I have is that when notifications come through, all of a sudden the music controls are active and my music will begin to pause, skip forward or back, it's really annoying. Of course this was always an issue with Siri even in iOS 6. Try using Siri via headphones w/ a mic while your iPhone is in your pocket. Suddenly Siri cuts you off before you can even speak.

msb3079
Jul 21, 2013, 09:13 AM
Guys, this is an issue that I am having. Obviously some are, some aren't. It's obviously only going to happen when you put your phone in your pocket with the screen facing your leg. EASIEST solution is to face it the other way, but that's hard for me. I am methodical and have had every iPhone since the first, face down.

Anyway... the issues depend on the pants you are wearing... and also the underwear. Not to sound weird, but it's true. I wear "boxer briefs" that don't go down the leg that far, leaving my leg "exposed", which means it matters much more on the pants/shorts that I wear. If you wear boxers with longer material, it may matter less, depending on length of pockets. But anyway... when I wear jeans, it's less of an issue. When I wear my Arc'teryx hiking/running shorts.. that have see-through mesh pockets... the phone is essentially against my skin. When I get notifications while walking... it's a mess. The other day I texted 3 people garbage and called 2 others... all while walking for a few minutes. It totally depends on what you are wearing. ANY phone with iOS 7 will do this if placed how I said, with similar clothes/materials.

uhaas
Jul 21, 2013, 12:26 PM
Wait until phone erase themselves due to too many failed passcode attempts.

AngerDanger
Jul 21, 2013, 01:32 PM
Guys, this is an issue that I am having. Obviously some are, some aren't. It's obviously only going to happen when you put your phone in your pocket with the screen facing your leg. EASIEST solution is to face it the other way, but that's hard for me. I am methodical and have had every iPhone since the first, face down.

Anyway... the issues depend on the pants you are wearing... and also the underwear. Not to sound weird, but it's true. I wear "boxer briefs" that don't go down the leg that far, leaving my leg "exposed", which means it matters much more on the pants/shorts that I wear. If you wear boxers with longer material, it may matter less, depending on length of pockets. But anyway... when I wear jeans, it's less of an issue. When I wear my Arc'teryx hiking/running shorts.. that have see-through mesh pockets... the phone is essentially against my skin. When I get notifications while walking... it's a mess. The other day I texted 3 people garbage and called 2 others... all while walking for a few minutes. It totally depends on what you are wearing. ANY phone with iOS 7 will do this if placed how I said, with similar clothes/materials.

Yeah, I'm also worried about leaning on something and cracking the outward facing screen. A couple of my old iPods have dents on the back; I hate to think of what would have happened to a screen put under the same pressure.

I wear tighter underwear (which covers pocket-adjacent skin (this is getting gross)) and jeans, and I still find my music pausing itself or the device unlocked with a drained battery. God, I wish Apple would make it harder to unlock. No, I don't want to set a passcode.

msb3079
Jul 21, 2013, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I'm also worried about leaning on something and cracking the outward facing screen. A couple of my old iPods have dents on the back; I hate to think of what would have happened to a screen put under the same pressure.

I wear tighter underwear (which covers pocket-adjacent skin (this is getting gross)) and jeans, and I still find my music pausing itself or the device unlocked with a drained battery. God, I wish Apple would make it harder to unlock. No, I don't want to set a passcode.

I'm hoping and thinking that they revert back to the old way of having to slide on the "slide to unlock" section to open the phone, as well as having to fully slide to open. Hoping.

WhackyNinja
Jul 21, 2013, 01:39 PM

When I had my iPhone 4 I never gave it a password in order for me get to my camera faster. But now ever since they added a camera shortcut to iOS in 5.0 I quickly gave my iPhone a passcode.

ErikGrim
Jul 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
My pocket booked me a taxi :eek:

fleeper
Jul 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
I am having this issue and I use runkeeper; at the end of my run the phone has stopped recording b/c the button has gotten swiped. This is driving me nuts. I guess I need to start using a pass code but that is not the real solution.

mcdj
Jul 21, 2013, 09:46 PM
Are you people with this issue wearing jeans? I've been running beta 3 since it came out and haven't had a single incident of pocket activation of any kind. I wear fairly loose fitting khakis and shorts. I have a pass code set to activate after 15 minutes.

mavis
Jul 21, 2013, 09:54 PM
Are you people with this issue wearing jeans? I've been running beta 3 since it came out and haven't had a single incident of pocket activation of any kind. I wear fairly loose fitting khakis and shorts. I have a pass code set to activate after 15 minutes.

No jeans here - it mostly happens when I'm wearing suits (so, slacks) ... Highly annoying, in any case. And I don't recall this ever happening pre-iOS7 (been using iDevices since 1.1.1) ... Why don't they just enable the proximity sensor for the lockscreen? Problem solved. :confused:

woodynorman
Jul 21, 2013, 10:48 PM
I'm having the problem as well. Pocket dials and pocket texts. I wear Wrangler jeans and put the phone in my right front pocket, screen towards my leg. Never had a problem with IOS6.

I hope Beta 4 brings some changes...

mcdj
Jul 22, 2013, 12:23 AM
I wonder if there's some other commonality. Did the people who are pocket dialing install 7 clean or as an upgrade to 6? I upgraded from 6. No issues.

crookadile
Jul 22, 2013, 10:10 AM
I'm hoping and thinking that they revert back to the old way of having to slide on the "slide to unlock" section to open the phone, as well as having to fully slide to open. Hoping.

What about having the old way and the new way and let people choose which one to use.

Personally I would prefer the old way. The new way with a swipe anywhere is just copying Android and there should be no need to do this.

HE15MAN
Jul 22, 2013, 10:14 AM
I don't have a passcode, because I don't want to have to type in those 4 digits dozens of times a day. It makes no sense.

I live in a safe area. I trust everyone around me, and I live in the suburbs where I know everyone, not an inner city where I walk by strangers all the time. I use it at home, at work, and in my car. Rarely anywhere else, and I don't use it while walking down the street.

It all depends on your use case. I think there is zero excuse TO have a passcode.

I leave my passcode off because I don't really have information on my phone that would ruin my life if someone was to steal it, and my second reason is if someone was to find your iphone and they are good people, they can easily go into your contacts and call someone like 'mom' or 'dad' or 'wife'.

----------

I agree with these guys

diwup
Jul 29, 2013, 09:18 PM
Haven't tested on beta 4 yet. Is beta 4 any better. So far in beta 3 this stupid pocket dialling has made iOS 7 unusable for me. Very sad.

C DM
Jul 29, 2013, 11:18 PM
Haven't tested on beta 4 yet. Is beta 4 any better. So far in beta 3 this stupid pocket dialling has made iOS 7 unusable for me. Very sad.Lock screen behavior hasn't really changed as far as unlocking, so this issue probably hasn't gotten any better or worse.

Geckotek
Jul 30, 2013, 01:09 AM
I've already had an issue at least once when I noticed the phone was unlocked in my pocket.

diwup
Aug 6, 2013, 06:28 PM
Can someone please test it on beta 5. Let us know if pocket dialing gets any better or not. Thank in advance.

Jalopybox
Aug 6, 2013, 06:44 PM
With a passcode, the only option they have is to turn it off.

Can't they wipe it even without the passcode?

diwup
Aug 7, 2013, 04:14 AM
I've been playing with beta 5 for 4 hours. I'm pretty certain by this point the annoying pocket dialling and pocket unlocking screen issues are fixed. Cheers everyone. And good work Apple.

fleeper
Aug 7, 2013, 05:36 AM
I've been playing with beta 5 for 4 hours. I'm pretty certain by this point the annoying pocket dialling and pocket unlocking screen issues are fixed. Cheers everyone. And good work Apple.

Updating my phone right now and going running in about 15 minutes; I hope you are right. Woohoo....

C DM
Aug 7, 2013, 01:23 PM
I've been playing with beta 5 for 4 hours. I'm pretty certain by this point the annoying pocket dialling and pocket unlocking screen issues are fixed. Cheers everyone. And good work Apple.Interesting. It seems that nothing much has really changed as far as unlocking of the lock screen--the full screen can still be used to unlock the phone, and still requires a swipe of only about 1/3 of the screen to actually unlock, like in earlier betas, so I wonder why/how the issue would get better now if at least the majority if not pretty much all of lock screen functionality as far as unlocking has remained (seemingly) the same.

jonasdamn
Sep 16, 2013, 10:48 AM
Sorry for bump, but there are any improvements on GM related to this issue? Thanks

ErikGrim
Sep 17, 2013, 06:29 PM
Haven't had pocket dials in a few betas, but interestingly I've had quite a few phonecalls turning itself on mute due to the proximity sensor not tripping. Not ruling out that it's just my phone however.

The Phazer
Sep 17, 2013, 06:37 PM
Haven't had pocket dials in a few betas, but interestingly I've had quite a few phonecalls turning itself on mute due to the proximity sensor not tripping. Not ruling out that it's just my phone however.

I've had exactly the same. It's like it's re-introduced the bug that iOS4 had :-(

ErikGrim
Sep 17, 2013, 06:39 PM
I've had exactly the same. It's like it's re-introduced the bug that iOS4 had :-(

It's very annoying, because it makes me paranoid everytime I'm on a call. Keep glancing at my phone :(

snappyfool
Sep 18, 2013, 01:13 AM
Interesting. It seems that nothing much has really changed as far as unlocking of the lock screen--the full screen can still be used to unlock the phone, and still requires a swipe of only about 1/3 of the screen to actually unlock, like in earlier betas, so I wonder why/how the issue would get better now if at least the majority if not pretty much all of lock screen functionality as far as unlocking has remained (seemingly) the same.

I don't know how it was in the unlock-prone betas, but a couple of observations on how it works now. It only works with one point of contact so two finger slide doesn't work for example. The display will turn off after a time as normal, even as you're touching it if your touches don't unlock/show passcode screen, so no half-gestures keep it alive.

Ckurtis
Sep 26, 2013, 09:20 PM
So happy I found this thread, I'm not crazy after all. Recently updated to ios7 on the iPhone 5. Same situation, I pocket dialed 6 times in 10 minutes today. I've accidentally turned on the flashlight while running. Total pain. Hopefully they'll at least have an option to use the "classic unlock" or solve the issue.

It never ceases to amaze me the " doctor it hurts when I do this; then don't do it " advice people give to avoid an issue instead of acknowledging and then fixing it.

So for now, seems like turning off the up swipe and down swipe from lock screen is the best workaround assuming I too wish to put my iPhone in my pocket screen in; along with turning off any sort of phone disablers that would result from too many failed login attempts.

Trying to sum up 7 pages of reading here... Did I miss anything other than the fact that apple chose to ignore this issue before ios7 release?

Zetaprime
Sep 27, 2013, 12:56 AM

Me neither. Maybe those people have hamsters in their pockets.:)