PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks Wi-Fi problem and more

jykim0806
Jun 14, 2013, 01:35 AM
Hi, I have installed Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks Developer Preview 1 yesterday.
I was wondering if I am the only one who has a wifi disconnection problem.
The wifi disconnects constatnly, especially on Safari, anyone had a similar problem?

One more question, I got the Setup Assistant and a Optimization message straight after the installation of Mavericks, and it won't go off. What should I do?

richard6r
Jun 14, 2013, 03:50 AM
I'm not sure about any wifi problems, mine works okay. Nothing out of the unusual for me but I also got that optimization notification after installing. I think it's Mavericks way of saying spotlight indexer is running because it's what I saw when I clicked on index. You can close the card though.

vprekazi
Jun 15, 2013, 02:12 AM
Yes! I have. It's crazy. Anyone else? I can't seem to find a fix.

DarkRyoushii
Jun 15, 2013, 03:16 AM
I have found viscosity (VPN client) will disconnect my WiFi as soon as I get an IP address on the VPN but they've probably just changed the way wifi is done and so viscosity will just need an update.

EDIT: They released a beta build that's fully compatible via their SparkLabs twitter!

Pploco
Jun 15, 2013, 08:30 AM
My wireless network is using PEAP of 802.1x (Protected Extensible Authentication Protocol) to authenticated the user.

In Lion, my wifi works well.

In Mountain Lion, my wifi can connect it in a while, then it's broken. I have to take the wifi off at least 10 minutes, then take it on, if I am good enough lucky the wifi can be connected.

I use the Wireless diagnostics to find the three functions (wifi, setting, isp are green, as i use the static IP AND DNS) are normal, the others tow functions(internet, and i forgot its name are red) are innormal.

If I don't use the static, it always be signed the ip beginning with 169.***.

And in Mavericks,I can find out the signal but I can join the network, this feedback told me, "see your administrator for further assistance".
All the problem are on the same environment.

By the way in TTLS of 802.1x,there is no problem at all.

Four oF NINE
Jun 15, 2013, 08:31 AM
No problems at all with Wi-Fi using Mavericks; no discernible difference whatsoever.

w0lf
Jun 15, 2013, 02:11 PM
Nope, haven't lost wifi connection once.

Krazy Bill
Jun 15, 2013, 03:44 PM
Like I said in another post. It wouldn't be another version of OSX without some kind of wi-fi issue.

Since 10.7 I've had a toggle switch on my router to reset it. Seems to fix the macs in the house but strangely enough, iPhones and Windows devices never have this issue.

vladpro
Jun 15, 2013, 04:30 PM
I am too having horrible wifi problems with mavericks. it constantly connects and disconnects, it is frustrating me like crazy. Any solutions?:mad::mad:

ijohn.8.80
Jun 15, 2013, 06:07 PM
I have the oddest thing going on with wifi here since the upgrade. A MBP has the wifi icon in the menu bar with an exclamation mark through it constantly and refuses to connect when you click on the icon. However, when you open a web page or do anything that requires connectivity, it works! The error symbol is still in the menu bar.

mmomega
Jun 15, 2013, 06:12 PM
Haven't had a wifi disconnect at all.

I have Mavericks installed on a 2012 MBA, 2012 rMBP, 2010 MBP, 2011 iMac and 09 iMac. They all stay on 24/7, well other than when the lids are closed on the laptops.

I have had other random bugs during betas but never WiFi since SL.

I also always do formats and fresh installs, no installs from Time Machine backups either.

jykim0806
Jun 15, 2013, 10:54 PM
Haven't had a wifi disconnect at all.

I have Mavericks installed on a 2012 MBA, 2012 rMBP, 2010 MBP, 2011 iMac and 09 iMac. They all stay on 24/7, well other than when the lids are closed on the laptops.

I have had other random bugs during betas but never WiFi since SL.

I also always do formats and fresh installs, no installs from Time Machine backups either.

But then how do you recover all your documents/important files?

mmomega
Jun 15, 2013, 11:08 PM

I format quite often. If a new version of OS X hits and I upgrade and find a bug I will fresh install and look for the bug again. So I'm usually reinstalling after every 10.9.X release.
It really helps finding out if a bug is due to an app, an upgrade, something wrong previously in a system, etc or if it's actually a new bug.

I have a Mac Mini with multiple externals connected.

So I have a Thunderbolt drive connected to Mini
- Folder on external named after my iMac
- Folder within that folder named Documents where I store my Documents
- Folder named pics where I store pictures
- and so on for other folders, iTunes, etc.

I don't really keep any important files on my computer at all, even if I create something on my iMac I have it save to the external location. All of my iWork files auto save to iCloud as well as TextEdit files.

jykim0806
Jun 15, 2013, 11:15 PM
I format quite often. If a new version of OS X hits and I upgrade and find a bug I will fresh install and look for the bug again. So I'm usually reinstalling after every 10.9.X release.

I have a Mac Mini with multiple externals connected.

So I have a Thunderbolt drive connected to Mini
- Folder on external named after my iMac
- Folder within that folder named Documents where I store my Documents
- Folder named pics where I store pictures
- and so on for other folders, iTunes, etc.

I don't really keep any important files on my computer at all, even if I create something on my iMac I have it save to the external location. All of my iWork files auto save to iCloud as well as TextEdit files.

That is a very smart move! Do you recommend any cheap external HDD/SSD?
I'm a student so I cannot invest in a very expensive hard drive. :p

Dalton63841
Jun 15, 2013, 11:28 PM

I format a lot to tinker with OS'es. My method is to edit fstab to mount a separate partition as /Users. That way, after a fresh install I just log into the hidden root account, edit fstab, make a new user account with the same name as I had on my previous installation, and reboot. Takes less than 5 minutes and I pick up right where I left off, even saved passwords and settings.

Aside from that, I haven't had any wifi problems at all. 2009 13" MBP with a 5th gen Airport Extreme using the 5Ghz network with WPA2.

jveraskit3
Jun 15, 2013, 11:44 PM
i HAVE the same problem in the internet, i have a macbook pro retina and connect and disconnect several times, just using mavericks, weird, but true!, greetings from chile!

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 02:11 AM
i HAVE the same problem in the internet, i have a macbook pro retina and connect and disconnect several times, just using mavericks, weird, but true!, greetings from chile!

greetings, I am (kinda) glad that I am not the only one who has this problem, because it would be a known issue if many people has it.

Hyuga
Jun 16, 2013, 03:46 AM
There are some known issues with driver in certain type of wireless networks. Should be fixed in next version or after that. I know its annoying but thats why its developer preview.

EDIT: Co-worker said that she disabled 5GHz from her home network and it stopped random disconnects.

greetings, I am (kinda) glad that I am not the only one who has this problem, because it would be a known issue if many people has it.

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 01:13 PM
There are some known issues with driver in certain type of wireless networks. Should be fixed in next version or after that. I know its annoying but thats why its developer preview.

EDIT: Co-worker said that she disabled 5GHz from her home network and it stopped random disconnects.

But there was no known issues for Wi-Fi for previous versions of Mac OS X Developers Previews, so I don't know what happened there.
Do you know when the next version of DP will come out? When did it usually come out for previous versions?

Hyuga
Jun 16, 2013, 02:06 PM
Varies, I think with 10.8 it was ~4 weeks.

But there was no known issues for Wi-Fi for previous versions of Mac OS X Developers Previews, so I don't know what happened there.
Do you know when the next version of DP will come out? When did it usually come out for previous versions?

jykim0806
Jun 16, 2013, 02:09 PM
Varies, I think with 10.8 it was ~4 weeks.

Oh my.

vladpro
Jun 17, 2013, 05:37 PM
i can't watch netflix in bed anymore cause of all the disconnected >__<

jdfwarrior
Jun 20, 2013, 05:49 AM
Add me to the list. I tested Mavericks on my 11" Air for a while before I put it on my main laptop (13" Air). Everything ran fine on the 2010 11" Air, all apps ran fine, etc. I put it on my 2012 13" Air and it was slow, kept locking up, etc. I thought maybe it was because I upgraded so I wiped the drive and did a clean install. It's not locking up and runs great but, the wireless issue still exists. It won't stay connected more than a minute most of the time.

I hope someone can find a way to fix this.

EDIT: Actually, just for grins.. can someone else try going to Energy Saver prefs and setting it to never go to sleep and never sleep the display and see if that fixes anything. I did that and its been several minutes and it hasn't dropped out yet. May be a fluke but, would be great if someone else would try it as well

Update 2: As crazy as it seems for that to have been the solution, its been connected for over 2 hours now. Previous to that, it was only staying on for about a minute or less. This seems to be at least a temporary solution until Apple fixes it.

bafknight
Jun 20, 2013, 08:37 PM

I got this problem too, I have a mid 2012 macbookpro.

bushido
Jun 21, 2013, 04:04 PM
i had the same issue on my retina mbp. it would work for a few minutes and than stop all of the sudden unless i disabled and re-enabled wifi which was rather annoying so i reverted back to ML for now

ToroidalZeus
Jun 25, 2013, 02:37 PM
I didn't have this problem on DP1 but now do on 2.

Lukeit
Jun 25, 2013, 08:30 PM
I didn't have this problem on DP1 but now do on 2.

Same here: no problem at all on DP1 while since yesterday and DP2 wifi is randomly disconnected.
I'm on a retina MBP 15

Unhyper
Jun 26, 2013, 12:29 AM
Same here: no problem at all on DP1 while since yesterday and DP2 wifi is randomly disconnected.
I'm on a retina MBP 15Same here as well. MBP 15 (2013). No WiFi probs on DP1, but as of updating, connection cuts out and doesn't always automatically reconnect to the router, I have to manually select it. The biggest problem though is that I can't transfer large files between my Mac and my PC (storage server, basically); gets close to 1 GB and then cuts off, every time.

I am wondering if downloading the whole DP2 package from Apple and installing clean would fix this, but I don't really want DP2 badly enough to tinker with this all day. Xcode 5 runs on ML anyhow. I love some of the new features, but I can live without iCloud Keychain on my Mac for a few more months. I'll probably install ML and call it good until GM is ready. All in all it's going to be a good release, if not particularly ground-breaking.

ToroidalZeus
Jun 26, 2013, 01:15 AM
15" MBP retina as well. I guess it must be a problem with our models.

luodan
Jun 26, 2013, 10:02 AM
I have a RMBP, and also got the same problem of wifi on DP2.
It keeps contact and disconnect wifi every few seconds. It's really frustrating!

vladpro
Jun 26, 2013, 01:36 PM
it seems as if the issue stopoped after dp2 havnt test it out too much, but i have gen before Retina macbook pros.

pedrofan
Jun 26, 2013, 07:58 PM
I have a 15" Macbook Pro retina with DP2.

At least twice a day, wifi connection enters in a fast connect/disconnect bucle (it connects and disconnect at least three times per second, keeping wifi icon changing super fast). The next time I'll make a video to show it.

The only way to fix it is to try to connect to another wifi, even if you don't have the password, and it just stops, and when you connect back to your wifi it just works ok.

You can't fix it disabling wifi, because it just goes on.

Somebody is having this problem?

M5RahuL
Jun 28, 2013, 06:03 PM
WiFi has no issues here... It's rock solid on my rMBP!

DP [or Beta] 2 here too :)

Modem: Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 Cable
Router: ASUS ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750
Computer: Mid 2012 rMBP [ specs in sig ]

pedrofan
Jun 29, 2013, 05:43 PM
WiFi has no issues here... It's rock solid on my rMBP!

DP [or Beta] 2 here too :)

Modem: Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 Cable
Router: ASUS ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750
Computer: Mid 2012 rMBP [ specs in sig ]

In my case the problem seems to be related to the use of apple wireless keyboard and trackpad.
Every time that bluetooth connects, my wifi connection starts to quickly connect and disconnect, and the fans starts to make a lot of noise.

Do you have any bluetooth device connected to your rMBP?

giladr
Jun 29, 2013, 09:51 PM
Wifi on both DP1 and DP2 seems to shut down every few seconds. Had to revert to ethernet for now.

M5RahuL
Jun 30, 2013, 01:06 AM
In my case the problem seems to be related to the use of apple wireless keyboard and trackpad.
Every time that bluetooth connects, my wifi connection starts to quickly connect and disconnect, and the fans starts to make a lot of noise.

Do you have any bluetooth device connected to your rMBP?

No BT devices connected... But I have a BT Apple KB that I'll connect later today and report back.

mikeymeows
Jun 30, 2013, 02:19 AM
The following just worked for me:

System Preferences -> Network -> Location -> Edit Locations.. -> make a new location, call it anything and then switch to that location and click apply.

Not sure why/how it works but it did for me :)

Good Luck!

dr4g0n
Jul 1, 2013, 04:56 AM
Well, some input from me:
Using MBP from 2011, so no retina related. On DP1 everything was great, after DP2 everything was great... until I've connected to another network. Now it randomly drops wifi and reconnects. What seems to help is just to click the wifi icon, and after "scanning for new networks" connection quickly resumes and stays for maybe 10 minutes. I didn't test yet if connecting to my home network would resolve this issue. On side note, my home connection is supported by TC. Here I have some router, definitely not from Apple ;) Bluetooth is off.

giladr
Jul 2, 2013, 12:46 PM
I can confirm this fix works. I have an early 2011 15" MBP - had wifi issues with both DP1 and DP2. Since I have many VPN connections and other network interfaces. I simply copied the location into a new one called "Home Copy". Wifi works fine now.

System Preferences -> Network -> Location -> Edit Locations.. -> make a new location, call it anything and then switch to that location and click apply.

Good Luck!

foobarbaz
Jul 2, 2013, 03:16 PM
I'm having the problem, too. Unfortunately, creating a new location doesn't work for me, though. :(

DarwinOSX
Jul 2, 2013, 05:50 PM
I have no issue on 13" rMBP.

giladr
Jul 3, 2013, 02:02 AM
Update: Apparently the issue returns after a few hours. Launching System Preferences and leaving it open makes it go away :/

foobarbaz
Jul 3, 2013, 05:29 PM
Leaving System Preferences open, or the Network settings?

Oh, and folks, there really is no need to be the 20th person pointing out how they don't have this problem. We already know that not 100% of users are affected. Thank you very much.

mikeymeows
Jul 5, 2013, 12:05 AM
Update: Apparently the issue returns after a few hours. Launching System Preferences and leaving it open makes it go away :/

Yeah I realized this too. And opening networks preferences, clicking on the wifi dropdown and then alt-tabbing back into your web browser seems to make it not suck. :confused:

scrmtrey
Jul 8, 2013, 06:27 AM
Yep, wifi stays "connected" altough it is not workng properly. Re-enable the wifi solve problem but it is still anoying despite that is DP2.

But other than that, it is pretty stable for work in progress.

giladr
Jul 8, 2013, 06:56 PM
Well, after making it "go away" a couple of times using the location and system pref panel workarounds, I am unhappy to report that my wifi is simply refusing to work. Back to Ethernet...

areyoupizza
Jul 9, 2013, 03:16 AM
Just updated to DP 3. Still having the same issue....

giladr
Jul 9, 2013, 11:59 AM
Updated to DP3 last night, turned Wifi back on this morning. Let's see how long this lasts...

giladr
Jul 10, 2013, 11:20 AM
Wifi stopped working after a few hours with DP3, yet again.

Unhyper
Jul 10, 2013, 10:58 PM
Wifi stopped working after a few hours with DP3, yet again.Thanks for keeping us updated. I was hoping DP3 would fix this issue, but apparently not. :(

giladr
Jul 13, 2013, 12:15 PM
Thanks for keeping us updated. I was hoping DP3 would fix this issue, but apparently not. :(

I can't help but think that this has something to do with the network config
me and a few other people had before the upgrade.... I'm almost certain a fresh install would solve this.

Unhyper
Jul 13, 2013, 02:25 PM
I can't help but think that this has something to do with the network config
me and a few other people had before the upgrade.... I'm almost certain a fresh install would solve this.I installed DP3, and this time went with a clean install. So far I haven't had any WiFi drops or issues at all, and I've been downloading apps from the App Store and transferring files over the LAN. It's only been about 24 hrs so early to tell of course...

mosher
Jul 16, 2013, 11:44 AM
I did have same problem all three DPs, but i solved it installing "Click2Flash" extension on Safari. Already second day,i have no dcs.:rolleyes:

giladr
Jul 16, 2013, 12:12 PM
Not using Safari, but I do have Flash Block on Chrome.

I did have same problem all three DPs, but i solved it installing "Click2Flash" extension on Safari. Already second day,i have no dcs.:rolleyes:

abhs
Jul 16, 2013, 09:28 PM
As someone has previously mentioned, just clicking on the airport icon in the menu bar and letting it cycle through the available wi-fi networks will fix the disconnect problem. I've been having this problem since DP1 on 2011 MBP.

Running system preferences in the background doesn't help.

Is anyone handy with applescript? Can you make one that alerts the OS to search for new networks every 30 seconds?

Edit: what if this is just Apple trolling all of us without Dev accounts?

throAU
Jul 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
The wifi disconnects constatnly, especially on Safari, anyone had a similar problem?

One more question, I got the Setup Assistant and a Optimization message straight after the installation of Mavericks, and it won't go off. What should I do?

I have WIFI isues when i stream media occasionally (soundcloud, and remote desktop display over airplay).

I need to disable/re-enable WIFI to get it back.

It never happens with youtube, general internet use, file transfers or gaming. Only a few particular cases for me - soundcloud could reliably kill it.

I've submitted a bug report, apple told me it was a duplicate bug, so I'd assume plenty of others are seeing similar issues.

I have a dev account (tis how i reported the bug) so it's not apple trolling ;)

missroc
Jul 17, 2013, 10:32 AM
@throAU
I have WIFI isues when i stream media occasionally (soundcloud, and remote desktop display over airplay).

I need to disable/re-enable WIFI to get it back.

It never happens with youtube, general internet use, file transfers or gaming. Only a few particular cases for me - soundcloud could reliably kill it.

I've submitted a bug report, apple told me it was a duplicate bug, so I'd assume plenty of others are seeing similar issues.

you can try create a (a name).sh file and using code blow.
don't forget change mod to run it.

this code will make your computer scan wifi for every 25 seconds.

forget me my bad english.

#!/bin/bash

while true
do
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Apple80211.framework/Versions/Current/Resources/airport -s
sleep 25
done

it works for me, hope this will you

Unhyper
Jul 18, 2013, 08:45 AM
Okay, I spoke too soon, kinda... A fresh install fixed the WiFi dropping, but not the disconnection issue when copying large amounts of data over the network. On DP3, I can't copy more than maybe a couple of GBs of data from my Windows share to my Mac. It always fails at around 5 GB at the latest, with an error -36. Mountain Lion does not have this problem. It may not be specific to WiFi in the sense that if I used a wired connection, it might fail just the same. But something is definitely different.

fenriz79
Jul 27, 2013, 08:25 AM
I've been battling the same wifi issues since DP2. After reading some posts today, I changed my AirPort Extreme to have a 5Ghz network name, then I connected to the non-5Ghz network. I haven't had any problems since. I'll continue to monitor, but for now at least, the fix seems to be getting off of the 5Ghz network connection and sticking with the 2Ghz.

throAU
Jul 28, 2013, 09:16 PM
I've been battling the same wifi issues since DP2. After reading some posts today, I changed my AirPort Extreme to have a 5Ghz network name, then I connected to the non-5Ghz network. I haven't had any problems since. I'll continue to monitor, but for now at least, the fix seems to be getting off of the 5Ghz network connection and sticking with the 2Ghz.

Cheers.

After monitoring my issue a bit last night, it looks like it recovers by itself after a couple of minutes, if you leave it long enough.

I suspect it is having an issue when it does a periodic scan to determine which SSID to connect to

Waiting for the bug-tracker to come back up so i can submit a diagnstic log collection again...

giladr
Aug 20, 2013, 03:19 PM
Latest update seems to have resolved the issue - no more Wifi disconnects.

KeydO7
Sep 4, 2013, 02:03 AM
I have been following the Mavericks Beta since Preview 4, and since I have installed it, I noticed my wi-fi dropping constantly on my Retina display MBP. Sometime 8-10 times a day. At first I thought it was just limited to the computer, but later I discovered that my Time Capsule was actually restarting and shutting my whole wi-fi network down.

I was baffled initially, but after messing around for awhile and trying to narrow down the cause, I discovered that I had automatic backups enabled and my wi-fi was dropping every time a backup was being attempted.

I disabled automatic backups and turned off Time Machine, and the wi-fi drops have stopped entirely for days now. However, if I go up and tell TM to manually backup, without failure, 20-30 seconds my TC is restarting itself and my wi-fi is gone again. So I know for sure that the issue only happens when backing up. Not backing up is not an ideal solution, but at least the wi-fi drops are gone and the computer is usable again.

I am not sure if this is the same scenario others are running into, but hopefully it gives you something to try.

I'm hoping the GM version of 10.9 will resolve this issue, otherwise I am not really sure how to fix this backing up problem. I imagine wiping the TC's HDD (and subsequently my years of backups) and starting over with a fresh initial backup would solve the issue. I am hesitant to do that though. I haven't backed up in over a month now, however I should be able to make it to the full release of 10.9. Any thoughts would be still be appreciated though.

satcomer
Sep 4, 2013, 09:31 AM
It would help if all of you list your Mac and possible the router your having trouble with. On my 2008 Mac Pro (connecting to a Fifth Generation Time Capsule) I have no trouble connecting to my Wi-Fi.

Plus did you install the official version or a "cracked" version?

makotoisle
Sep 28, 2013, 12:08 AM
I have been following the Mavericks Beta since Preview 4, and since I have installed it, I noticed my wi-fi dropping constantly on my Retina display MBP. Sometime 8-10 times a day. At first I thought it was just limited to the computer, but later I discovered that my Time Capsule was actually restarting and shutting my whole wi-fi network down.

I was baffled initially, but after messing around for awhile and trying to narrow down the cause, I discovered that I had automatic backups enabled and my wi-fi was dropping every time a backup was being attempted.

I disabled automatic backups and turned off Time Machine, and the wi-fi drops have stopped entirely for days now. However, if I go up and tell TM to manually backup, without failure, 20-30 seconds my TC is restarting itself and my wi-fi is gone again. So I know for sure that the issue only happens when backing up. Not backing up is not an ideal solution, but at least the wi-fi drops are gone and the computer is usable again.

I am not sure if this is the same scenario others are running into, but hopefully it gives you something to try.

I'm hoping the GM version of 10.9 will resolve this issue, otherwise I am not really sure how to fix this backing up problem. I imagine wiping the TC's HDD (and subsequently my years of backups) and starting over with a fresh initial backup would solve the issue. I am hesitant to do that though. I haven't backed up in over a month now, however I should be able to make it to the full release of 10.9. Any thoughts would be still be appreciated though.

Thank you for this very helpful post. Disabling the Time Machine fixed the wife dropping issue for me.

dmelgar
Oct 3, 2013, 06:46 PM
I noticed today that my Airport Extreme running firmware 7.6.4 is rebooting every few hours. I've had it for years with no trouble. Its been very reliable even under heavy use. Yet the last few weeks I've noticed the network going away. I thought it was my devices, but eventually happened to look at the Airport Extreme during an outage and saw it with the yellow light. Eventually it reboots and turns green again and the network is available again.

I am running Mavericks and have been running iOS7. The only configuration change I can think of was changing the network IP address range to 196.168.x.x.

MoodyM
Oct 6, 2013, 04:09 AM
I' m using 10.9 GM on a Mid-2010 17" MBP and Ethernet (not wifi) and as soon as I use Viscosity/Tunnelblick to open a VPN connection, I lose the internet, even if I then disconnect VPN/quit Viscosity/Tunnelblick or disconnect/reconnect Ethernet cable. I have to reboot to get it back.

mavis
Oct 6, 2013, 04:23 AM
Thank you for this very helpful post. Disabling the Time Machine fixed the wife dropping issue for me.
There has to be a joke there, somewhere.

Gus Van Der Mee
Oct 6, 2013, 04:24 AM
Since Tiger wifi on OS X is one bad joke (me personal experience). Mavericks continues this "tradition'. Since DP1 wifi just stops working for no reason. Even though it shows that i'm connected to my router i have no internet connection. I need to turn it off and back on again to fix it.

Because of this i can't use Back to My Mac as you would normally expect.

User since 1984
Oct 6, 2013, 12:10 PM
OK.... my test...

Mavericks dual monitor set-up is sluggish!

When i display a movie on my second monitor its "Stuttering" also the menubar remains visible (Thats not nice looking),

Switching back to OSX 10.8.5 the problem is gone......

Also the TAB system in the Finder is not as nice as third party Finder apps.

Moom is not working anymore...... Moom is much nicer as the finder window in Mavaricks.

There is absolutely no point in switching to Mavericks... i deleted it and switched back to a much smoother working OSX 10.8.5 !! Bad Job....

ciru86
Oct 7, 2013, 12:49 AM
Since the upgrade from ML to 10.9 GM i have noticed a significant drop in wifi strength, it never disconnected but the signals are always much lower. I have mid 2010 MBP 13".

BlackMangoTree
Oct 7, 2013, 01:40 AM
Never had an issue with Wifi all my 4 Macs are running Mavericks and Wifi seems excellent.

pubdown
Oct 7, 2013, 01:47 PM

Good Luck!

I have the problem and this works for me. Thanks very much.

stevielatphoto
Oct 23, 2013, 02:41 AM
Installed Mavericks last night. Wifi GONE. 13' Macbook pro mid 2012. I am tethering to my iPhone with no problems at all. Get is sorted soon Apple.

harrysiii
Oct 24, 2013, 09:32 AM
I'm having the same WiFi issues since upgrading yesterday. My connection drops every 5-10 minutes. I can either (a) wait a few minutes, (b) change my network, or (c) turn off/on WiFi. This is extremely frustrating!

Unhyper
Oct 24, 2013, 10:05 AM
A clean installation of Mavericks appears to have fixed it for me. Wifi doesn't drop anymore, hasn't once in the many weeks I've been using Mavericks since the GM dropped.

The only thing that still doesn't work consistently is finding the wireless network again after sleep. It will keep scanning and scanning but not see it until I switch it off and back on, then it connects instantly. It's a small thing and doesn't always happen, but still.. Lucky OSX makes it easy to turn wifi off and on, or else it might be a real pain.

S.L.
Oct 24, 2013, 10:27 AM
My wifi drops every time I open my Macbook from having it physically shut in sleep state. I have to manually re-link my Wifi connection for it to work again. Once that didn't work, so I had to restart before Wifi came back.

richb-hanover
Oct 24, 2013, 02:40 PM
I have a possibly-related problem. I can't get a connection on 5 GHz WPA2-Personal SSID, although it works fine for my 2.4GHz open and WPA2-Personal SSIDs. More details at http://richb-hanover.com/?p=108

Update: Good News! I'm not sure why, but rebooting my router seems to have cleared the problem. In fact, I'm posting this through a 5GHz connection... See my blog posting (above) for more details.

rdhalstead
Oct 24, 2013, 06:00 PM

I can confirm that changing my wireless connection from 5GHz to 2GHz has kept the network connection stable.

CCryder66
Oct 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
I' m using 10.9 GM on a Mid-2010 17" MBP and Ethernet (not wifi) and as soon as I use Viscosity/Tunnelblick to open a VPN connection, I lose the internet, even if I then disconnect VPN/quit Viscosity/Tunnelblick or disconnect/reconnect Ethernet cable. I have to reboot to get it back.

This was exactly my experience except I'm using Network Connection from Juniper. Works fine after a reboot, but if I try to use the VPN connection to my work, it fails after about 5 minutes. Even after closing the VPN, the WiFi connection is unreliable until I reboot.

Details:
Mavericks was downloaded from the App Store
Mac Mini, mid 2010
Router: Airport Extreme

kantbear
Oct 26, 2013, 06:05 PM
Try going to your System Settings>Networks, disable the Thunderbolt Bridge, click on wifi then click assist me>diagnostics, click on "wifi" button if it isn't already filled, then the "Continue" button. Click on your network in the list and then the "Continue" button. Then in the pop-up box click "Always Allow", when it tells you it's working click "Quit."

f1r3w4ll
Oct 27, 2013, 08:27 AM

Try to change the router ip 10.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.**
i was having same issue at the office with Router Netgear wnr2000v4
No problem at my house with Apple Airport Extreme Base Station Router!
Hope this fix your issue!

zahnprinz
Oct 28, 2013, 04:53 AM
Have the same problems on MBA 13' late 2011 and no solution yet
:mad:

zahnprinz
Oct 29, 2013, 04:21 PM
now I found the solution for my problem :D

my router transmitted via b, g an n . n seems to be the problem for mavericks.

I changed to b and g only and have no problems anymore, wlan runs stable;

perhaps try it out.

best wishes

dr0pi
Oct 30, 2013, 05:00 PM
At first I suspected my ISP of having speed problems, but today I tried copying a file in my local LAN over wi-fi. The transfer rate starts at 2.5mbps but drops to 540-580kbps.
My other wi-fi devices do not suffer any of this fluctuations.
A few times the wi-fi even got deactivated and I had to enable it manually.

Let's hope Apple is working on a 10.9.1 fix...

KUguardgrl13
Nov 7, 2013, 09:42 PM
My late-2013 13" rMBP has had no wifi issues until today. It doesn't want to connect to my home network for more than a few seconds before losing the connection. After a restart it just kept searching and searching and not finding the network. All of the other devices in the house are fine (iOS devices, PCs, etc.). There are no other Macs.

I haven't yet downloaded the 13" firmware update because I don't have my MagSafe2 with me. Will that make a difference? I've had my rMBP since the 23rd with no issues with wifi until today.

TraininSpain
Nov 8, 2013, 10:53 AM
I have MBAIR from August this year and it worked fine until last week when I installed Mavericks. Since then, if I leave the Mac for a few minutes or shut the lid it disconnects and requires the wifi to be switched off and then back on.
It has not, as of yet, dropped at any time during use.
I spent a pleasant hour this morning on the Mac Helpline and did everything that I was told. (Excuse me if I get some of the steps wrong nut you will get the idea):

- Reset router. No change
- Remove network and then reconnect. No change
- Start it up in safe mode and delete a few folders from the library (cache, cookies and launch agents). Try again no change.
-Start it up in recovery mode and reinstall OSX. No change.

At this point I ran out of time and had to get on with work. However they now want me to wipe my hard drive and reinstall from fresh (rather than just downloading OSX over the existing version) to confirm whether it is or isn't a hardware problem.
All very polite and helpful, the lad could not be faulted for anything. He did say they were not aware of this as a problem so maybe a wee white lie there :)

Anyone think this will solve the problem or is it just a tick box approach and they know it won't work?
The router is new from Orange (I'm in Spain) and iPhone 5 and Lenovo laptops are working fine with no disconnect issues. It does not drop either when I am streaming audio - only when inactive/asleep.

Unhyper
Nov 8, 2013, 11:00 AM
Anyone think this will solve the problem or is it just a tick box approach and they know it won't work?
The router is new from Orange (I'm in Spain) and iPhone 5 and Lenovo laptops are working fine with no disconnect issues. It does not drop either when I am streaming audio - only when inactive/asleep.It won't solve it. This is akin to the olden days when we (tech support for Windows boxes, not Apple support) told end users not to call for support until they had rebooted three times.

I have the same issue. Early 2013 rMBP, clean Mavericks install (not upgrade over ML). I close the lid, come back in a few minutes, and it just spins the scan looking for a network indefinitely until I switch the wifi off and back on, then it finds it instantly. This crap has been going on since the first beta, it's not a hardware issue. I don't mind it enough to call Apple because it's quick and easy to turn it off and back on, but it is still annoying. Doesn't really feel like it's a big priority with Apple, fixing it.

nick_elt
Nov 8, 2013, 11:32 AM
Osx has a history of wifi problems. What fixed it for me (and others) was to go into your router settings and change the channel from (most likely) to a specific one (11 worked for me). Havent had a problem since.

----------

I have MBAIR from August this year and it worked fine until last week when I installed Mavericks. Since then, if I leave the Mac for a few minutes or shut the lid it disconnects and requires the wifi to be switched off and then back on.
It has not, as of yet, dropped at any time during use.
I spent a pleasant hour this morning on the Mac Helpline and did everything that I was told. (Excuse me if I get some of the steps wrong nut you will get the idea):

- Reset router. No change
- Remove network and then reconnect. No change
- Start it up in safe mode and delete a few folders from the library (cache, cookies and launch agents). Try again no change.
-Start it up in recovery mode and reinstall OSX. No change.

At this point I ran out of time and had to get on with work. However they now want me to wipe my hard drive and reinstall from fresh (rather than just downloading OSX over the existing version) to confirm whether it is or isn't a hardware problem.
All very polite and helpful, the lad could not be faulted for anything. He did say they were not aware of this as a problem so maybe a wee white lie there :)

The router is new from Orange (I'm in Spain) and iPhone 5 and Lenovo laptops are working fine with no disconnect issues. It does not drop either when I am streaming audio - only when inactive/asleep.

Please try my above fix. Worked for me.

----------

My wifi drops every time I open my Macbook from having it physically shut in sleep state. I have to manually re-link my Wifi connection for it to work again. Once that didn't work, so I had to restart before Wifi came back.

Go into your router settings and change the channel off from auto.

----------

It won't solve it. This is akin to the olden days when we (tech support for Windows boxes, not Apple support) told end users not to call for support until they had rebooted three times.

I have the same issue. Early 2013 rMBP, clean Mavericks install (not upgrade over ML). I close the lid, come back in a few minutes, and it just spins the scan looking for a network indefinitely until I switch the wifi off and back on, then it finds it instantly. This crap has been going on since the first beta, it's not a hardware issue. I don't mind it enough to call Apple because it's quick and easy to turn it off and back on, but it is still annoying. Doesn't really feel like it's a big priority with Apple, fixing it.

To be honest this is not just a Mavericks issue, sure you may of only just got this since mavericks but its also effected other users on other os. Mountain lion did it to me. Osx doesnt like auto channel on routers for some reason.

----------

Have you fixed it? If not try my fix worked a charm for me (and others)

dstempfley
Nov 8, 2013, 12:59 PM
My MBP 13" is continually connecting then searching for networks, just like most here in the list. I have attempted to do just about every suggestion I've seen. I may have sacrificed a virgin in a volcano, but there is no evidence to prove that. Nothing I have tried has fixed the problem.

Changed router configuration - It happens in multiple locations, but I reconfigured my router on a set channel supporting only b/g.

Removed and reinstalled location configuration from network preferences.

Removed the reinstalled interface location in network preferences.

Set static iP addresses - silly but someone suggested it and it preceded the trip to the volcano.

Rebooted into safe mode and removed preference and cache files.

Ran disk utility repair.

Reinstalled OS X.

Reboot, Reboot, Reboot - Just in case Apple adopted the Microsoft method of problem solving.

I'm really at a loss. I have a lot of time invested here, stepping back to 10.8 may be my only option for now. Anybody have any ideas that I haven't tried?

xylitol
Nov 8, 2013, 01:39 PM
dstempfley, have you tried mikich's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23678500#23678500

dstempfley
Nov 9, 2013, 12:50 AM
dstempfley, have you tried mikich's solution:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/23678500#23678500

Yep, I should have included those with the things I did in Safe Boot.

sportsplayer612
Nov 9, 2013, 11:35 PM
Yep, I should have included those with the things I did in Safe Boot.

I have tried all of these suggestions as well. I am running Mavericks on my MacBook Air 2012 model. I have done 2 fresh installs of Mavericks. One time i restored apps and data from a time machine backup and the most recent time I restored only apps and no data. The wifi drops have started subsequent to installing Mavericks and all other devices on my network are working normal.

satcomer
Nov 10, 2013, 11:12 AM
All of you have problems try this screwy fix:

1. Shutdown your Mac that has be having the problems and none of fixes helped.

2. Boot in Safe Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455)

3. Go into System Preferences --> Network and click on the bottom button 'Assist Me' and create a new Costumed name Location and make sure you save and also Apply to completely save that change.

4. Reboot.

Se if these steps help, Good Luck.

sportsplayer612
Nov 12, 2013, 07:44 PM
All of you have problems try this screwy fix:

1. Shutdown your Mac that has be having the problems and none of fixes helped.

2. Boot in Safe Mode (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1455)

3. Go into System Preferences --> Network and click on the bottom button 'Assist Me' and create a new Costumed name Location and make sure you save and also Apply to completely save that change.

4. Reboot.

Se if these steps help, Good Luck.

Tried this to no avail. I'm not sure what else can be done without Apple releasing an update.

satcomer
Nov 12, 2013, 08:10 PM
Tried this to no avail. I'm not sure what else can be done without Apple releasing an update.

Have you tried another wireless spot to see if connects there?

sportsplayer612
Nov 12, 2013, 08:17 PM
Have you tried another wireless spot to see if connects there?

I've tried different areas throughout my house. I've tried 2Ghz and 5Ghz spectrums. I have two routers and it does it with both of them.

satcomer
Nov 12, 2013, 09:03 PM
I've tried different areas throughout my house. I've tried 2Ghz and 5Ghz spectrums. I have two routers and it does it with both of them.

Then have a tech look at it. Something is going on.

sportsplayer612
Nov 12, 2013, 09:52 PM
Then have a tech look at it. Something is going on.

It has to be something with Mavericks, because I have never had wifi issues until after I upgraded to Mavericks. Computer worked flawless before. I'll contact support after Saturday since I'm busy these next few days for my CPA exam.

sportsplayer612
Nov 13, 2013, 10:54 PM
Well I have downgraded back to Mountain Lion and my wifi is blazing fast as it normally was before I upgraded to Mavericks. I am not sure what the issue is related to the software, but its definitely related to Mavericks. I will not be updating until Apple releases an official update.

I could not browse Safari more than a minute or two before my wifi connection would stop loading. I could not stream movies from my iTunes library to my Apple TV.

After downgrading back to Mountain Lion, Safari loads fast and all my movies can now be streamed from iTunes to my Apple TV.

TraininSpain
Nov 16, 2013, 02:50 AM
OK - following on from my post above. I got myself new portable hard drive and did a full backup. Then opened the MBA in recovery mode and selected the option to erase everything.
That took next to no time.
Then installed Mavericks again (6 hours on my Spanish ADSL line).
The Help desk fella told me not to restore anything from the backup disc at this stage and to give the MBA a different name from before so he could see if it worked when completely clean.

So I opened Safari, played about with it for last 12 hours - put it to sleep several times and it is working fine.
It is reconnecting to wifi network on every occasion.
I will have another call with the Help Desk today or Monday now to find out what I do next.

dvershinin
Jun 13, 2014, 02:43 PM
There is a simple fix for Wi-Fi in Mavericks. You have to delete Bluetooth settings file. I don't know how it's connected, but the fix really works: http://www.iosappsandhacks.com/fix-wi-fi-in-mavericks

dermo
Jul 11, 2014, 11:28 AM

Good Luck!

Hi
this did it for me...Thanks

;)