PDA

View Full Version : Question about beta updates

snerkler
Jun 14, 2013, 02:47 AM
This is the first time I've upgraded to a beta version of iOS. I understand that as a new beta version is released the old one stops working, and so you are left with a phone that doesn't work until you update.

My questions are, are we pre-warned prior to a new release therefore can be on the look out? Is there an overlap between the new one being released and the old one not working, therefore giving us time to change? How are we notified of a new update, does it show up on the phone like normal updates, or do we need to keep checking the website?

TIA

dictoresno
Jun 14, 2013, 02:50 AM
This is the first time I've upgraded to a beta version of iOS. I understand that as a new beta version is released the old one stops working, and so you are left with a phone that doesn't work until you update.

My questions are, are we pre-warned prior to a new release therefore can be on the look out? Is there an overlap between the new one being released and the old one not working, therefore giving us time to change? How are we notified of a new update, does it show up on the phone like normal updates, or do we need to keep checking the website?

TIA

you will likely get an OTA update notification on your phone. and yes, theres an overlap window, in which time you must upgrade to the next beta or revert back to 6.1.X. there have been people in that predicament last year and they had to DFU restore out of the beta OS.

snerkler
Jun 14, 2013, 02:52 AM
you will likely get an OTA update notification on your phone. and yes, theres an overlap window, in which time you must upgrade to the next beta or revert back to 6.1.X. there have been people in that predicament last year and they had to DFU restore out of the beta OS.

Thanks for the info, very helpful :)

Daveoc64
Jun 14, 2013, 02:53 AM

TIA

It's not so much that they disable the old beta when the new one comes out. Each beta has a fixed expiry date, and when that is reached, it stops working.

That effectively means that there will always be an "overlap" period.

TrenttonY
Jun 14, 2013, 04:28 AM
Can you DFU if you get stuck on dev sign in without account?

tymaster50
Jun 14, 2013, 04:34 AM
I'm guessing you didn't read the sticky about this

TrenttonY
Jun 14, 2013, 04:38 AM
I'm guessing you didn't read the sticky about this

I have read it many times.

tymaster50
Jun 14, 2013, 05:33 AM
I have read it many times.

so then you should know nobody can tell you anything but to search for it. Which is easily found.

fezzzer
Jun 14, 2013, 12:28 PM
Apologies if his has already been asked, I couldn't find it anywhere.

I am wondering how the upgrade will be pushed out. Are beta updates usually OTA or manually via iTunes? What is the best way to update if is manual?

I have got a backup on iTunes from iOS 6.1.4 and don't want to over write this with a new backup.

tymaster50
Jun 14, 2013, 12:35 PM
You really couldn't find it???
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1596405

BvizioN
Jun 14, 2013, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't blame him/her. Everything seems to be buried under the threads about iOS 7 icons.

tymaster50
Jun 14, 2013, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't blame him/her. Everything seems to be buried under the threads about iOS 7 icons.

type update beta into the search bar, thread has been covered multiple times.

fezzzer
Jun 14, 2013, 12:44 PM
Thank you. Sorry I'm new here, and need to learn exactly what to type to search for things. I tried certain words from my question and various things came up that we're not helpful.

Thank you,

PNutts
Jun 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1596405

Not even remotely helpful.

Thank you. Sorry I'm new here, and need to learn exactly what to type to search for things. I tried certain words from my question and various things came up that we're not helpful.

Thank you,

This is a generic answer because nobody can predict what may happen, but betas now are generally OTA and if so there is no reason to not do that. The best advice I can give is look at the release notes and base your decision on that. Unless specifically called out, the end result of updating via iTunes or OTA is the same.

tymaster50
Jun 14, 2013, 01:59 PM
Not even remotely helpful.

This is a generic answer because nobody can predict what may happen, but betas now are generally OTA and if so there is no reason to not do that. The best advice I can give is look at the release notes and base your decision on that. Unless specifically called out, the end result of updating via iTunes or OTA is the same.

You didn't even look at the link did you?

Nyy8
Jun 14, 2013, 07:38 PM
Hey everyone,

Like other people here I got the iOS 7 beta and wanted to know if updates would be OTA, or do I need to update though iTunes like I did before? I would think it would be just OTA.

batting1000
I would think it would be just OTA.

You thought right.

/thread

saving107
Wait to see what happens when beta 2 is released.

rmeadejr
Jun 14, 2013, 07:40 PM
Hey everyone,

Like other people here I got the iOS 7 beta and wanted to know if updates would be OTA, or do I need to update though iTunes like I did before? I would think it would be just OTA.

past beta years it was a mix of both.