Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Has anyone tried Mavericks TM with a NAS? I use a WD MyBook Live but I was wondering if anything may have changed?

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
Nope, just a Mac mini hosts a usb backup drive. The maverick mac connects to it via wifi and is working fine.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Nope, just a Mac mini hosts a usb backup drive. The maverick mac connects to it via wifi and is working fine.

Well that does not answer my question. When ML was released most NAS providers (Synology, QNAP, WD) had to update their devices to support the change in TM. Maybe someone can answer this.

activate

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2011
I have a installed a few synologys for friends. I can go and try it out if you don't get an answer.

ntdogg511

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2008
Has anyone tried Mavericks TM with a NAS? I use a WD MyBook Live but I was wondering if anything may have changed?

I have a Synology setup for TM and Mavericks automatically backed up to it last night. Which I forgot about, hopefully that won't affect my ability to restore 10.8 from it, doh!

But all appears to be working just fine with NAS TM support.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I have a Synology setup for TM and Mavericks automatically backed up to it last night. Which I forgot about, hopefully that won't affect my ability to restore 10.8 from it, doh!

But all appears to be working just fine with NAS TM support.

Thanks so much! One less thing to worry about.

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
I have Qnap NAS and Time Machine does not work. It freezes on "Connecting" and at that moment the keyboard is disabled and I can't do anything. It then fails. Maybe it is just Qnap but Time Machine used to work in Lion.

System Preferences freezes and I have to use Activity Monitor to Force Quit it.

Last edited:

jb510

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
I have a Synology DiskStatation, DSM 4.2-3211. TM 10.9 DP2 will create a backup but the sparse bundle quickly becomes corrupt and needs to be rebuilt. I've tried restarting a backup from scratch a couple times and the same thing happens. Usually, within hours.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I have 2 Synology boxes (office and home) and am really happy with them. However, when I got ML the TimeMachine backup stopped working and there was not fix in site. That is when I decided to go with a TimeCapsule for my TM Backups. Just did not want to deal with problems. Also, was not happy with how the Synology was setup to limit the size of the Backups (maybe that changed).

KScottMyers

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2009
Orlando, FL
For how long? What version of DSM? Backing up over wifi or eethernet?

Working since Beta 1
DSM 4.2-3211
Over Ethernet

It does a backup every hour without any issues. Actually, I'm running two TM backups - one to the Synology and one to a Airport Extreme with an attached USB drive. Both have no issues.

Howmanoid

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
QNAP TS-559 Pro II

I'm running a QNAP TS-559 Pro II with the latest firmware. My Mavericks P7 machine sees the TM share but won't connect to it.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Same here, GM of Mavericks and a TS-459+ - with a badly broken TimeMachine. There is a thread on the QNAP forum here ..

http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=77277&

No news of a fix yet.

Plasma

There is still no word of a fix. I have posted on that thread as well as sending qnap tech support a message (not sure how much qnap moderates the user forums).

The interesting thing is I did an in-place upgrade on my mbp and it did work with my qnap (running 4.0.2). The problem I had was I was low on time machine allocated space, so tried to add it (within the qnap) where I found another bug. I had 400gb allocated, wanted to add 100 more, but it wouldn't let me because I only had 320gb of free space. That's a bug as I wasn't trying to ADD 500gb, I was trying to add 100.

I decided to just delete the mbp time machine files off the nas (this would delete old backups which I didn't use (mbp is my travel machine, so there's no real important data on it to go back to)). Once I deleted it, I had plenty of space to start a new backup. Now, because I deleted the old, Mavericks is unable to establish a new backup on the Qnap. Should have left well enough alone and manually deleted old backup sets.

Guess we're in a waiting mode now.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
Received an email from Qnap support. They are aware of the problem and say it is/will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Surprised that they didn't catch this months ago with the betas and GM's.

whsbuss

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
Received an email from Qnap support. They are aware of the problem and say it is/will be fixed in the next firmware update.

Surprised that they didn't catch this months ago with the betas and GM's.

Yep. Western Digital released a firmware update for the MyCloud/Mybook NAS devices and it works fine.

finch6

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
South Africa
Time Machine - WD My Book Live - OSX Mavericks

Hi everyone,

Im struggling with my TM. I have a WD My Book Live hooked up to my house network. I want to use the MBL with TM, but when I select "Select Disk Backup..." it doesn't bring up the MBL in the list. It will show a USB that i have connected but not the MBL.

My Macbook Pro is connected to the network via wifi. Is that the problem?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I apologise. I found the setting on the MBL that allows TM backups. Im in action and its backing up.

Last edited:

finch6

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
South Africa
Hi everyone,

Its me again. Seems this Time Machine backup is giving me trouble.

The first time I tried to do the First Backup it failed. I then selected Back Up now and it prepared for the back up, then said Failed again because disk was already in use. So I thought that was because it hadn't done its initial backup. So i deleted the share from the MBL and recreated it. Then set it to back up again. That backup too was a problem as it was backing up so slowly. after 3 days it had only backed up 100Gb... So i canceled that and deleted the share, recreated it, and then rebooted the MBL. I also stopped TimeMachine on my computer, unmounted the TimeMachine share on the MBL as the backup disk and rebooted my MBP.

Then the process started again. Recreate the hare, setup Time Machine and set it on its merry way. Woke up this morning and the initial backup completed! Wooooohooooooo :D:D:D

Now heres my problem, IT STILL WONT WORK... :confused:

I have attached the sequence of events...

Please can someone shed some light on this for me... Its so frustrating :(:(

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.55.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.55.05 AM.png
    298.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.57.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.57.56 AM.png
    312 KB · Views: 175
  • Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.58.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.58.10 AM.png
    332.9 KB · Views: 205

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Im struggling with my TM. I have a WD My Book Live hooked up to my house network.

Its me again. Seems this Time Machine backup is giving me trouble.

A couple suggestions. Go to WD's site and make sure you have installed the latest firmware update for the WD Live. I know Mavs changed the networking protocols a bit and this required firmware updates for a lot of these NAS devices.

Then get the WD Live manual here and go to page 65 and make sure you have enabled Time Machine usage on the WD.

Now on your Mac remove all drives from the Time Machine drive selection box and turn off Time Machine. Then remove any of those network shares you setup. Now look on page 39 of the manual and follow the step by step there to select the WD drive as the Time Machine destination. It looks like one of the steps there will setup the connection for you.

I think maybe you trying to do it as a share first might be causing this issue.

finch6

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2014
South Africa
A couple suggestions. Go to WD's site and make sure you have installed the latest firmware update for the WD Live. I know Mavs changed the networking protocols a bit and this required firmware updates for a lot of these NAS devices.

Then get the WD Live manual here and go to page 65 and make sure you have enabled Time Machine usage on the WD.

Now on your Mac remove all drives from the Time Machine drive selection box and turn off Time Machine. Then remove any of those network shares you setup. Now look on page 39 of the manual and follow the step by step there to select the WD drive as the Time Machine destination. It looks like one of the steps there will setup the connection for you.

I think maybe you trying to do it as a share first might be causing this issue.

That seemed to work, thanks so much Weaselboy :D

medic27

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2013
I heard rumors about TM not working well with migrating from Mavericks to another OS. I was desperate to get rid of that Godawful Mavericks. I did a time machine backup to a WD Passport. I was willing to manually create my entire profile, directories, and re install everything.
After a clean install of Mountain Lion, I said OK to the migration option in the beginning figuring it would be a waste of time only. I can just delete the profile and create a new one.
I had to install the older garageband, iphoto, and imovie. Iphoto required an entire rebuild of the library database. Desktop photo was different. I had to log into steam again because password was not saved.
No other installs, configures, or any missing folders or files.

It was so easy I should have done it last November and enjoyed an 8 hour increase in battery usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.