PDA

View Full Version : New Vs Skeu

bandrews
Jun 14, 2013, 07:52 AM
I don't need to point out that before WWDC there were those on one side saying iOS was stale and needed a design overhaul, that skeuomorphism was dated and ugly. Then there were those on the other side saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
The thing was that last week, most people seemed to favour a move away from skeuomorphism. However, since the unveiling of iOS, the vocal majority seems to dislike the new simple, flat look.

So, what I thought would be interesting would be to find out whether, purely on a design basis:
You wanted a cleaner design and liked what you saw in iOS7
You liked the old style and hated what you saw in iOS7
You wanted a cleaner design but didn't like what you saw in iOS7
You liked the old style but liked what you saw in iOS7
You generally disliked iOS before and you still dislike it.

I'm talking overall look - icons and all. I haven't used it yet but so far I'm farm more excited by the look than I ever was by previous iOS versions.

sexiewasd
Jun 14, 2013, 11:10 AM
i liked the old design, it had much more character. it felt more like a place, and the things were things. The new app designs look like websites, or print, they have no sense of place. I do however think that the new design in some places is faster to navigate. I like the use of translucency, and I like the lock screen, but think that the album art should be full screen. I like that there are less borders, and more edge to edge content. iOS 6 had a lot that could have been improved, and a lot of it was with iOS 7, but I don't think that skeuomorphic design was ever really the problem, even if it was overused in places, and poorly chosen in others (game center).

BvizioN
Jun 14, 2013, 11:14 AM
I got tired of old design, using it for the last 5 years. Apple did design the new iOS exactly as I was hopping they would. And it is working darn good for a first beta.

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 11:18 AM
I think the old was beginning to look rather dated, but the new one is ugly for all sorts of reasons. It looks very amateur, the blur is tastelessly overused, text elements and UI blend together, and there is just no sense of hierarchy or buttons. The icons are catastrophic, there's generally far less polish, and it looks dreadfully generic. I'm gonna have to say that visually, I'd prefer iOS 6. People are too excited by the fact of a redesign and such newness to notice how poor and ugly the design actually is. And that's ok, because I'm sure it will improve over time and the new functionality and interactions are still quite enjoyable.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 11:19 AM
Now we need a poll about all the UI polls.

Knowimagination
Jun 14, 2013, 11:19 AM
If I am honest with myself, I was so tired of the old ways that I probably would have been happy with a hello kitty themed iOS 7.

lokey
Jun 14, 2013, 12:49 PM
I was in the camp that thought that Apple had to drop out the skeuomorphism for iOS 7. It had really gotten out of hand with the faux wood and green felt. I wanted a more mature look to the overall system.

However, iOS 7 is just horrible. They've removed all the character from the apps. When you opened up an app, you knew you were in that app because it has its own style. I never thought the style had to be faux wood, but it had to be different. Now everything is white or translucent. Icons we've learned to understand over the years have been replaced with thin text and the icons all look over saturated. This is not what I wanted to see.

The worst of it all: Safari icon and the Share button. I'm hoping we see some major changes before release.