PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice... [the new swipe left to right to go back a page?]

dominic252
Jun 14, 2013, 09:12 AM
I'm sure we all saw it and use it in iOS7: the new swipe left to right to go back a page. It's a great feature and it's more comfortable to use with one hand then to have to reach to the top left corner (I know it's not a huge stretch, but it makes it more comfortable).

What I've noticed is that larger phones also have this feature to prevent having to stretch across the screen to that corner, too. So, here's my theory, and maybe I'm looking in to it too much, but it's fun to speculate like this

IN the fall Apple will release a final form of iOS7. Alongside this usually comes a new iPhone. To go along with their new drive towards more simple, they will be renaming their iPhones. Also I think they'll ditch the 3.5" screen all together

So, we have what they'll call "the iPhone". I see this as being they're entry level $299 off contract phone. Those pictures of the plastic iPhone posted here a while back (not the black one that was revealed to be a case) would probably be this phone. The innards would match that of the current iPhone 5

Next, we have the "iPhone S". This would cost around the price of what the flagship iPhone would cost now, so iPhone 5 pricing. I believe it'll keep the iPhone 5 form factor, but with the speed bumps the S model usually gets.

Finally, and the reasoning to my theory about that swipe comes in, the "iPhone+ or the iPhone Plus". Now, there's two ways this could swing. Either it performs better and has even better specs as the S model, which would then raise the price to about $299-$399 on contract. Or it performs the same as the S model, but has a bigger screen. Then I could see it priced out as $230-$330-$430

Another reason I could see this as a possibility is because they did something like this for the iPad models. It makes it easy to announce upgrades and not have to come up with a new name or number or whatever because now the iPhone number scheme doesn't make sense.

Like I said, pure speculation for the purpose of speculation. Just trying to have fun with it :) Maybe post your opinions on how you feel about this?

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 09:15 AM
Certainly a possibility, but maybe a stretch based off the gesture. Several apps like mailbox, flipboard, and Facebook have all included this gesture to go back for quite some time. Hell, even Apple themselves were toying with it for years in the music/iPod app.

dominic252
Jun 14, 2013, 09:18 AM
Certainly a possibility, but maybe a stretch based off the gesture. Several apps like mailbox, flipboard, and Facebook have all included this gesture to go back for quite some time. Hell, even Apple themselves were toying with it for years in the music/iPod app.

I think the reason facebook and Flipboard have this functionality is so they didn't have to come up with different navigation gestures for the iPhone and larger Android phones so they just implemented them into both versions

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 09:34 AM
I think the reason facebook and Flipboard have this functionality is so they didn't have to come up with different navigation gestures for the iPhone and larger Android phones so they just implemented them into both versions

Good theory, but it's a gesture included in many iOS exclusive apps. UX Designers just like it, not necessarily for its appropriateness on a larger screen.

chrf097
Jun 14, 2013, 09:51 AM
As long as they keep a premium model that is also 4 inches.

I don't want to be delegated to the "cheap" model just because I want a smaller screen than 5.5 or whatever.

apunkrockmonk
Jun 14, 2013, 09:53 AM
I didn't notice this gesture.

I love it, thank you for pointing it out!

dominic252
Jun 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
As long as they keep a premium model that is also 4 inches.

I don't want to be delegated to the "cheap" model just because I want a smaller screen than 5.5 or whatever.

Exactly. I think the S model would be considered a premium model. The jump between the 4S and 5 performance wise wasn't HUGE. I see that being the jump from the S to the Plus model, if there is one at all

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2013, 10:19 AM
I didn't notice this gesture.

I love it, thank you for pointing it out!

I hope this is sarcasm.