PDA

View Full Version : iOS 7 Beta Allows Users to Zoom While Recording Video

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2013, 09:13 AM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/14/ios-7-beta-allows-users-to-zoom-while-recording-video/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/ios7camera.pngAs noted by iDownloadBlog (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/13/ios-7-video-capture-zoom/), the first beta for iOS 7 allows users to use zoom functionality while recording a video in the redesigned Camera app.Upon hitting the big red red button to start recording, simply use the pinch gesture to zoom in and out during video capture. You can also tap-to-focus on your closeups as you're shooting video.

To zoom out footage, pinch out anywhere on the screen or use the handy slider at the bottom part of the interface. Unfortunately, the slider doesn't appear until you zoom in on the video.Previously, iPhone users could only use zoom functionality before they started recording a video in video mode. There are third party apps, such as MoviePro (http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/13/a-quick-look-at-the-ios-7-video-recording-zoom-feature/), that allow users to zoom, but those apps require post processing to register any zooms.

9to5Mac has posted a video (http://appshopper.com/photography/moviepro) showing the feature in action and highlighting how the image presented maintains a high quality even at full zoom.

7YDWdv9kR0M
The report also notes that the video zoom does not pan as close as the image zoom does, but estimates that the feature allows for a 2-3x zoom with no post processing required.

Article Link: iOS 7 Beta Allows Users to Zoom While Recording Video (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/14/ios-7-beta-allows-users-to-zoom-while-recording-video/)

Unggoy Murderer
Jun 14, 2013, 09:18 AM
I don't get the concept of digital zoom... you'd be better just cropping the image, or moving closer, rather than degrading the quality.

JodyK
Nice find! This is a great feature that will def get alot of use from me.

jayducharme
Hooray! I was considering getting a new HD video camera. But if the iPhone can now zoom, I'm a happy puppy! 2x-3x isn't much, but it should do fine for my needs.

iThinkIt
Jun 14, 2013, 09:21 AM
I'm sure the NSA will get a lot of use from it... they watch you in spy mode...

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/112/Purple/v4/08/bd/50/08bd50d8-b91e-29eb-a840-eeefbc82c95b/mzl.tbidfrbv.320x480-75.jpg

MacFan23
Jun 14, 2013, 09:22 AM
Nice find! This is a great feature that will def get alot of use from me.

Go home Craig!

.Asa
Jun 14, 2013, 09:25 AM
Am I the only one who hates the new camera app? Zoomed video? Square photos? Cheesy vintage filters? I may stay on iOS 6.

----------

I don't get the concept of digital zoom... you'd be better just cropping the image, or moving closer, rather than degrading the quality.

Exactly. I'd rather not have the feature at all. A lot of people use it without knowing the harm it causes and then wonder why their photos look so terrible.

Simplicated
Jun 14, 2013, 09:27 AM
Am I the only one who hates the new camera app? Zoomed video? Square photos? Cheesy vintage filters? I may stay on iOS 6.

Yes, because Apple points a gun at your head and forces you to use all these three things whenever you open the Camera app. :rolleyes:

peteullo
Jun 14, 2013, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=.Asa;17424966]Am I the only one who hates the new camera app? Zoomed video? Square photos? Cheesy vintage filters? I may stay on iOS 6.

----------

It's there as an option.. No one is making you use it! Sheesh

.Asa
Jun 14, 2013, 09:34 AM
Yes, because Apple points a gun at your head and forces you to use all these three things whenever you open the Camera app. :rolleyes:

Their existence really annoys me. They get in the way of my photo taking. I mean, you have to swipe from photo, to 'square', to video, where in iOS 6 you just flip the photo/video switch.

thechungster
Jun 14, 2013, 09:38 AM
Their existence really annoys me. They get in the way of my photo taking. I mean, you have to swipe from photo, to 'square', to video, where in iOS 6 you just flip the photo/video switch.

But it goes from video, photo, square, pano (from left to right). Not exactly hampering your video to photo switching. Also you can just tap on the mode as well without swiping.

Simplicated
Jun 14, 2013, 09:39 AM

Huh? Photo is still located right beside Video. You can entirely ignore Square and Pano if you don't like them.

jb2017
Jun 14, 2013, 09:42 AM

I have not used iOS 7 yet but I believe when you access the camera app, it opens up in the regular camera mode and not the square format. So you can still quickly open up your camera app and take a "normal" photo.

Swiping left or right is something you will have to get used too as it seems gestures will be the new way you do everything in iOS, very little buttons. Plus, I believe it is faster to access areas by swipping than searching for a button then tapping it.

everything-i
Jun 14, 2013, 09:48 AM

----------

Exactly. I'd rather not have the feature at all. A lot of people use it without knowing the harm it causes and then wonder why their photos look so terrible.

You do realize this is zooming for video not stills. You should be able to zoom an 8MP sensor image 2-3 times without any loss of quality at 1080p. I don't understand the problem you have with this, its free and you don't have to use it :confused:

BvizioN
Jun 14, 2013, 09:48 AM

Relax! I can't imagine anyone who wants professional quality video or photo using mobile phone camera. It is mostly used for fun and as such it does serve its purpose nicely! If video fps, zoom, image quality and and all that is your concern then you should go for the big boys (Cannon/Nikon)

akbarali.ch
Jun 14, 2013, 09:53 AM
Great. every now n then we come to know a feature or 2. It would be better if the posters also mention on what devices its available. It took me a while searching the web and youtube to finally come to know that parallax and Pano wallpaper does run on iphone 4S, also translucency of menus too.

D.T.
Jun 14, 2013, 09:53 AM
Relax! I can't imagine anyone who wants professional quality video or photo using mobile phone camera. It is mostly used for fun and as such it does serve its purpose nicely! If video fps, zoom, image quality and and all that is your concern then you should go for the big boys (Cannon/Nikon)

Exactly. There will be millions of Mom and Dads zooming into the catch the facial expression of their little one while recording a birthday video, or people sharing concert footage from the show with a nice little zoom in on Adam/Nate/Trent/Maynard (whoever :D )

They're not worried about post-production, a little graininess, they want to capture the moment in real time.

I'm glad they're adding features to the stock camera app, it's still the one I use the most ... and what I'd like to see is those features available in a standard invocation of the camera in an app, so you get all sort of additional camera features without additional coding complexity.

hestroy
Jun 14, 2013, 09:56 AM

I would like to have your troubles. I would be happy man.

odedia
Jun 14, 2013, 09:58 AM
Today I finally broke down and reverted to ios 6.

I expected the first beta to have bugs, ofcourse. I didn't care about that too much. I also understand that it is still horribly slow because optimizations are not in place yet.

But I really can stand the new UI. It looks like someone in grade school painted it. I really hope Apple will take notice to a spectrum of opinions and make some adjustments (Joshua Topolski's article on theverge.com mirrors my feelings quite well).

Just my PERSONAL feelings. No bashing or trolling intended.

AppleInLVX
Jun 14, 2013, 10:02 AM
Great. every now n then we come to know a feature or 2. It would be better if the posters also mention on what devices its available. It took me a while searching the web and youtube to finally come to know that parallax and Pano wallpaper does run on iphone 4S, also translucency of menus too.

Well that's good news. Thank you for doing the legwork for folks like me. I was going to get a new iPhone, but if the 4S runs everything, I will probably wait for the 6.

lusky
Jun 14, 2013, 10:06 AM
This isn't digital zoom. A full1080P HD image is only 2 mega pixels. for the wide shot it uses the full 8 megapixel sensor and downscales as you zoom in it uses less of the sensor but still more than 2MP. the furthest zoom I imagine will be the central 2 MP of the sensor. If you zoomed in after that you would lose quality.

Canon did this on their 600D DSLR but removed it in the 650, don't know why it was useful.

dyates0801
Jun 14, 2013, 10:08 AM
Does not work on the iPhone 4S. Its shows the "+" and "-" for zoom but did not work. :mad:

jfx94
Jun 14, 2013, 10:16 AM
The video quality in the example still seems to be less than than the RED Scarlet. C'mon apple, you were supposed to fix this with software!

(I kid, I kid... Don't throw rocks yet!)

PBG4 Dude
Jun 14, 2013, 10:17 AM
Does not work on the iPhone 4S. Its shows the "+" and "-" for zoom but did not work. :mad:

Just coming here to post this. I get a zoom slider but it does nothing.

cmChimera
Jun 14, 2013, 10:23 AM

----------

Apple gives you a more functional camera, and you're upset about it?

kmil
Jun 14, 2013, 10:24 AM
Good find. Doesn't work on an iPhone 4 (that I've tested). Going to submit a bug report.

Chumburro2U
Jun 14, 2013, 10:25 AM
Well that's good news. Thank you for doing the legwork for folks like me. I was going to get a new iPhone, but if the 4S runs everything, I will probably wait for the 6.

I am pretty sure you won't be able to use the new AirDrop feature with your iPhone 4S. And, we still don't know about any new killer features Apple will unveil when they debut their new phone, which you will definitely not be able to use with your iPhone 4S.

AppleInLVX
Jun 14, 2013, 10:35 AM
I am pretty sure you won't be able to use the new AirDrop feature with your iPhone 4S. And, we still don't know about any new killer features Apple will unveil when they debut their new phone, which you will definitely not be able to use with your iPhone 4S.

Lack of AirDrop isn't a deal breaker for me. I'm not sure where I'd use it, given most of my contacts don't have iPhones.

That last bit could potentially sway me. No one knows what'll happen, but if it's a speed bump and fingerprint scanner, then I can wait.

nagromme
Jun 14, 2013, 10:37 AM
This will really put the drama back into my prairie dogs!

(And for those who decry allowing people to digitally zoom... a device like this HAS no optical zoom, and sometimes you do want to enlarge something. If it's wrong to zoom a video, why is it OK to pinch-zoom-in on a photo you're looking at? Apple acknowledged the potential poor quality by limiting the amount of zoom, which is good, but these cameras have a lot of resolution--more than the screen you're playing back on can even view, very often--so there's room to zoom and still look fine. There are plenty of cases where a digital zoom can actually show something more clearly than not zooming at all. In other cases, you're free not to zoom if you don't want.)

Anonymous Freak
Jun 14, 2013, 10:51 AM

For still photos at the full quality of the sensor, you're absolutely right.

But for video, where you're not using every pixel of the sensor as it is, it makes sense. The sensor on the iPhone 5 is 3264 pixels wide. That's 1.7 times the width of the 1920 pixels of its maximum video resolution. That means you could reasonably zoom on 2x without losing any measurable detail (when compressed to the level of H.264 it compresses - if you could get raw video out, then 1.7x is about it.)

What I'm curious about is the claim that you could zoom video "before hitting record" previously - I was unaware of this, is it an iPhone 5-only thing?

Otterblue
Jun 14, 2013, 10:51 AM
Where's the 60fps video?

YeahBuddy
Jun 14, 2013, 11:04 AM
What would be cool is if they're adding this feature in time for the iPhone 5S, which could take advantage of the zoom feature without quality loss.

BornAgainMac
Jun 14, 2013, 11:26 AM
I would like to have square video. It is easier to hold the camera tall to take video but the video looks weird when you play it on your AppleTV or Mac / PC at home.

Also the filters should have been fun filters like the T2 effect on a prior generation iPod Nano and the security camera filter and some other fun effects.

freefall722
Jun 14, 2013, 12:00 PM

Nowadays the image sensor is much larger than what is required by HD video - this allows you to crop the sensor to perform a zoom without loosing any quality up until you reach pixel for pixel on the sensor. The diminutive amount of zoom Apple has added to the camera app suggests this is exactly what they are doing.

donutbagel
Jun 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
"Zoom." Rriiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

macduke
Jun 14, 2013, 12:19 PM
As noted by iDownloadBlog (http://www.idownloadblog.com/2013/06/13/ios-7-video-capture-zoom/), the first beta for iOS 7 allows users to use zoom functionality while recording a video in the redesigned Camera app.

Or as noted by me two days ago: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17407363&postcount=261

And on Twitter three days ago: https://twitter.com/aacduke/status/344619365762752512

Where it was probably read by Christian Zibreg, who wrote the iDownloadBlog story, because he follows me on Twitter. Funny.

Anyway, it's weird how it's just now making the rounds. Guess I should have formally sent it in. It's funny because I had purchased Videon about a week ago and it does the same thing! Which is probably why I tested for this feature right away. :D

ed724
Jun 14, 2013, 01:40 PM

Really, Ask that newspaper in NY that fired it's entire photography staff and told the reporters to user their iPhones for photos on their articles. They'll really enjoy the fact that they can now use video because it can zoom. :eek:

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 14, 2013, 01:57 PM
Where's the 60fps video?
Good question. iThink 60 FPS allows 30 FPS HDR video capture (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-dynamic-range_imaging#Video), which requires probably 10-Bit H.264 encoding. If iDevices support 10-Bit H.264, then Mavericks should support 10-Bit H.264 encoded files. I know that the Intel IGPs in Sandy Bridge or newer Macs support 10-Bit H.264 decoding in hardware. It is just a GPU/IGP driver problem.

----------

The video quality in the example still seems to be less than than the RED Scarlet. C'mon apple, you were supposed to fix this with software!

(I kid, I kid... Don't throw rocks yet!)
I hope your virtual home has armored Windows. ;)

BvizioN
Jun 14, 2013, 02:06 PM
Really, Ask that newspaper in NY that fired it's entire photography staff and told the reporters to user their iPhones for photos on their articles. They'll really enjoy the fact that they can now use video because it can zoom. :eek:

Yes, I heard that. It still does not make it right decision (cutting costs most likely) You will have to wait and see how well that is taken by readers! Time will tell how they will like the mediocre quality photos.

And let's just be realistic here! Mobile phones cameras (no matter how good they are) are not aimed to professional videographers/photographers.

brueck
Jun 14, 2013, 02:28 PM

This seems like a major advantage of a high megapixel camera, other than improved image quality. Rather than zooming optically, if the captured pixels are greater than the stored pixels you can just zoom digitally without losing resolution.

donutbagel
Jun 14, 2013, 02:48 PM

On an image, it's pointless, but on video, it's a lot easier than editing afterwards. I'd still try my hardest to not use it on video.

----------

This seems like a major advantage of a high megapixel camera, other than improved image quality. Rather than zooming optically, if the captured pixels are greater than the stored pixels you can just zoom digitally without losing resolution.

What he's saying is that on images, there is zero use for digital zoom. All you're doing is cropping the image beforehand instead of cropping it after, which means you permanently lose the rest of the image. And you could even crop then use some pixel prediction.

audiodrummerguy
Jun 14, 2013, 02:52 PM
This isn't digital zoom. A full1080P HD image is only 2 mega pixels. for the wide shot it uses the full 8 megapixel sensor and downscales as you zoom in it uses less of the sensor but still more than 2MP. the furthest zoom I imagine will be the central 2 MP of the sensor. If you zoomed in after that you would lose quality.

Canon did this on their 600D DSLR but removed it in the 650, don't know why it was useful.

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. What you're saying would make sense if video mode used all 8 MP in the first place. But if you notice, when you switch to video mode, the camera is much more zoomed in--that's because video mode on the iPhone (at least the iPhone 4S does this...I actually don't know about the iPhone 5) only uses a fraction of the sensor (I think it's because it's too much information to process trying to take video with all 8 million pixels and downsizing to 1080p).
So yeah...I don't think it works how you're thinking. I think it already starts off using the 2 MP in the center for video mode, and any zoom after that is actually digital zoom.

mdelvecchio
Jun 14, 2013, 03:02 PM

im confused -- would somebody be forcing you at gunpoint to use those new features? what would stop you from just, you know, not using them? seems a lot easier to do that rather than forgo all of the new ios 7 features simply because you dont like filters or whatnot.

mighty strange thinking.

----------

They get in the way of my photo taking. I mean, you have to swipe from photo, to 'square', to video, where in iOS 6 you just flip the photo/video switch.

looks like its only one swipe, but id bet that even two swipes are faster than having to precisely find the video-toggle button, aim for it, hit it.

Their existence really annoys me.

you may need medicine.

akbarali.ch
Jun 14, 2013, 03:16 PM

not everything though, the 2 major things, AirDrop & Camera realtime filters dont work on iphone 4S. Leaving those i guess it should be fine running everything else. ....Oh, One more thing! Background process for all app, its a biggy, might need new hardware to run. And, one more thing, when you get notification, the respective app autoloads in the memory and its ready as soon as you swipe the notification to open them, unlike ios6 (and Early) where after swiping the notification one has to wait atleast 5-6 seconds for app to update and move forward.....please some one test it out....

joejoejoe
Jun 14, 2013, 03:22 PM
In the midst of all this whining, as someone who visits his 9 month old baby nieces and takes videos of them multiple times a week, I'd like to say...

THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alisstar
Jun 14, 2013, 03:29 PM
Previously, iPhone users could only use zoom functionality before they started recording a video in video mode.

How is this done on current versions of iOS?

jclardy
Jun 14, 2013, 03:40 PM

Digital zoom is crap on photos - in this case of video it seems to work well. The sensor is 8MP - much higher than 1920x1080. The "default" zoom uses the full frame. As you zoom in it seems to just decrease the portion of the sensor used, so at full zoom you are just using the very center 1920x1080 rectangle - no quality loss.

sazivad
Jun 14, 2013, 04:06 PM
Upon hitting the big red red button to start recording…
MacRumors should add a "sic".

ReallyOldGuy
Jun 14, 2013, 04:33 PM
After calculating the depixaltion degradation rate and the inverse square of the repixaltion compilation I decided to test this theoretical equation. I booted up My iPhone 5, took a video using the aforementioned and highly debated "zoom" function. I then viewed this video on my 27" iMac.

Technical Conclusion: Looks pretty damn spiffy:p

baryon
Jun 14, 2013, 05:01 PM
It's really great, if every recorded pixel can always correspond to one real pixel on the sensor, at any zoom level, since the sensor has so many more pixels than the lower resolution HD video. All you do then is just choose which pixels you want to use to create an image, without having to upscale and interpolate. In a way, this means that without a complex, mechanical zoom lens, you can still effectively zoom in without losing any detail. Another great way to replace heavy and expensive mechanical equipment with software.

I know the article is about zooming WHILE recording, and that you could always zoom before recording, but I just realized that the video wasn't being upscaled, but rather sensor pixels were being reassigned (if I understand correctly…).

cclloyd
Jun 14, 2013, 06:24 PM

Filter the **** out of this photo or I'll filter your brains all over the walls!!!

Shellbo6901
Jun 15, 2013, 12:50 AM
How is this done on current versions of iOS?

definitely a typo or something, ha. i have iphone 5 and it still doesn't zoom & you always were able to refocus during videoing as far as i know.

AppleMark
Jun 15, 2013, 04:19 AM
Hooray! I was considering getting a new HD video camera. But if the iPhone can now zoom, I'm a happy puppy! 2x-3x isn't much, but it should do fine for my needs.

However a word of caution.

Any good HD video camera will 'zoom' to a point with an optical lens, preserving image quality. iOS devices rely on digital zooming which although may increase zoom 2x/3x, will also degrade your image quality proportionally.

cg0def
Jun 15, 2013, 04:45 AM
A small correction, zoom only work on iPhone 5 and above. So yeah it's great but there will be feature segmentation which is OK I guess. After all there is only so much you can do with older hardware and also Apple needs a way to get all those new toys off their shelves ...

dilbert99
Jun 15, 2013, 06:05 AM
So yeah...I don't think it works how you're thinking. I think it already starts off using the 2 MP in the center for video mode, and any zoom after that is actually digital zoom.

If I was designing a video camera with a sensor larger than the end resolution, I would make each pixel on film, several pixels on the sensor, that way it collects more light.

So for 1920 x 1080 video you could use 4 physical pixels for each recorded pixel. This means that you can capture better footage in low light because your "bucket" for capturing light is four times the size.

Then when you zoom in you would be using less physical pixels affecting the lowlight performance but not the number of pixels, so its still hd quality.

Perhaps this is how Apple does it?

QuarterSwede
Jun 15, 2013, 06:59 AM

Any good HD video camera will 'zoom' to a point with an optical lens, preserving image quality. iOS devices rely on digital zooming which although may increase zoom 2x/3x, will also degrade your image quality proportionally.
In this case it won't affect the quality of the image. Read the entire thread as to why since its been stated multiple times.

Alisstar
Jun 15, 2013, 07:48 AM
definitely a typo or something, ha. i have iphone 5 and it still doesn't zoom & you always were able to refocus during videoing as far as i know.

Thanks! I thought I had missed out on that feature.

Darius17
Jun 15, 2013, 07:58 AM
will this be optical or digital zoom?

AppleMark
Jun 15, 2013, 08:56 AM
In this case it won't affect the quality of the image. Read the entire thread as to why since its been stated multiple times.

Thanks for the heads-up.

QuarterSwede
Jun 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
will this be optical or digital zoom?
Digital unless the 5S has some sort of optical zoom as well ... I wonder what the combined zoom could be in a form factor that size?

Optical at 2-3x and digital to 2-3x would be 4-6x combined. Iiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting.

adnbek
Jun 15, 2013, 09:43 AM
One feature I hope returns in 7 is the ability to turn on or off the LED light while recording. In iOS 5 it was possible and was inexplicably removed in 6.

adder7712
Jun 16, 2013, 12:21 AM
Finally. But digital zoom on any phone absolutely sucks and I don't even use it on my S III.

Alisstar
Jun 16, 2013, 05:37 AM
Finally. But digital zoom on any phone absolutely sucks and I don't even use it on my S III.

I don't think it's so bad.

http://youtu.be/2kRQaXi1VY8

adder7712
Jun 16, 2013, 07:47 AM
I don't think it's so bad.

http://youtu.be/2kRQaXi1VY8

Yeah, it looks fine. Wish one day phones would have optical zoom...

KdParker
Jun 16, 2013, 02:03 PM

----------

not like you are being forced to use these features. You could just use the camera app the same what as you did with iOS 7

otismotive77
Jun 16, 2013, 02:31 PM

agreed, it's like capturing 3.2MP photos from an eight MP camera, it's logical and better to just move closer or if you cant move closer just crop it.

beaniemyman
Jun 16, 2013, 03:20 PM
well that's new - and pretty useful. i hope it doesn't affects the quality much. good thing apple is innovating again

topper24hours
Jun 16, 2013, 05:21 PM

Lol at "the harm it causes"....
Hahahahahaha......
Does it kill polar bears?
Also, how would zooming in slightly whilst shooting a video make your PHOTOS look terrible?? *confused*

topper24hours
Jun 16, 2013, 05:32 PM

Do you guys get contract pricing on phones in Canada or pay full price?
If paying full price... I can see waiting. If not, letting your upgrade go unused for over a year isn't fiscally sensible, as you are paying the same whether you take the $450 subsidy or not. I always use my upgrades the very moment they are available, so I can start that clock marching towards another huge subsidy again!! =)

Northgrove
Jun 17, 2013, 04:09 AM
Since video is recorded in 1080p at most, there is no degradation of quality because the camera is an 8 MP camera ("2448p"). It's simply incrementally cropping the photo, but not enlarging any pixels that would cause smearing/pixelation. My Fujifilm FinePix X100 has a similar 3x zoom mode which is "magic" in the same way.

----------

This is not your typical digital zoom that enlarges the pixels and hurts quality. This is also why the zoom range is limited.

While I also dislike zooming, it's more because it hurts immersion. But I can't say this feature is bad in any way. At least it doesn't hurt quality.

MrXiro
Jun 17, 2013, 08:01 AM

So... you're basically complaining because you you haven't actually educated yourself on how the software works and are crying about something that is an non-issue because you don't understand it?

----------

It was actually Chicago...

----------

I'm pretty sure you're wrong. What you're saying would make sense if video mode used all 8 MP in the first place. But if you notice, when you switch to video mode, the camera is much more zoomed in--that's because video mode on the iPhone (at least the iPhone 4S does this...I actually don't know about the iPhone 5) only uses a fraction of the sensor (I think it's because it's too much information to process trying to take video with all 8 million pixels and downsizing to 1080p).

I agree with this one. The whole sensor isn't used and never has been used to begin with... If it were we'd be able to shoot 4K from an iPhone and we know for a fact that the iPhone currently doesn't shoot anything above a 1080p resolution. Zooming on (even based on looking at that video) a subject is the same digital zoom... though the output will still be 1080p... (as it is captured at that resolution) the out of focus blur of a cropped-in video will still be there. It would technically be like an up convert of a low quality source.

AppleInLVX
Jun 17, 2013, 01:30 PM
Do you guys get contract pricing on phones in Canada or pay full price?
If paying full price... I can see waiting. If not, letting your upgrade go unused for over a year isn't fiscally sensible, as you are paying the same whether you take the $450 subsidy or not. I always use my upgrades the very moment they are available, so I can start that clock marching towards another huge subsidy again!! =)

We get contract pricing. That said, they use the end of a contract to rev the terms of your agreement. For the past many years, I've been buying the phone outright to keep my grandfathered original plan. I am one of very, very few people in Canada who can boast an unlimited data package on my iPhone, and it's only because I buy the devices outright and swap out the SIM cards. So yeah, I wait until I can't wait anymore. :)

pirg
Jun 18, 2013, 11:18 AM
For once I can say this should have been a feature for years...I'm surprised it wasn't

brueck
Jun 18, 2013, 10:43 PM
On an image, it's pointless, but on video, it's a lot easier than editing afterwards. I'd still try my hardest to not use it on video.

----------

What he's saying is that on images, there is zero use for digital zoom. All you're doing is cropping the image beforehand instead of cropping it after, which means you permanently lose the rest of the image. And you could even crop then use some pixel prediction.

i understand that it's equivalent to cropping, but what I said was-a higher resolution would allow you to crop (or zoom) and still have the same resolution as unzoomed pictures....if your camera has those additional pixels available. you're not actually focusing on the image more closely, you're just not losing resolution.

donutbagel
Jun 18, 2013, 11:38 PM
i understand that it's equivalent to cropping, but what I said was-a higher resolution would allow you to crop (or zoom) and still have the same resolution as unzoomed pictures....if your camera has those additional pixels available. you're not actually focusing on the image more closely, you're just not losing resolution.

Oh, OK. I also realized that if you're going to crop, you have to make sure that the camera is focused on the item you are going to "zoom" onto.

Menneisyys2
Jun 26, 2013, 02:50 AM
Strange they didn't experience image quality degradation with the stock Camera app under iOS7. My experience is exactly the opposite: it doesn't make use of the oversampling capabilities. Currently, as of b1 and b2 on the iPhone5, only direct, programmatic access is able to make use of it.

I've posted a complete discussion of this question, illustrated by several, controlled test shots, to http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1601763

----------

Well, actually, lossless zooming does work - but, unlike what the original article stated, not in the stock Camera app, at least not for now.

Menneisyys2
Jun 26, 2013, 03:15 AM

Apple has implemented somehing like Nokia in the PureView 808 two years ago. That is, up to a point (1.4545x zoom factor with Full HD, 2.1x with 720p etc.), you can losslessly zoom.

Again, this does NOT seem work in the current stock Camera app in either iOS7 b1 or b2 on the iPhone 5. The original, linked article seems to be flawed.

----------

Note that, in Full HD mode, 1.4545x zoom is the max you can zoom up to losslessly.

----------

You do realize this is zooming for video not stills. You should be able to zoom an 8MP sensor image 2-3 times without any loss of quality at 1080p.

Unfortunately, it's 1.4545x only in Full HD. Nevertheless, it worked just fine in my tests - see my above-linked report.

----------

Exactly.

----------

Where's the 60fps video?

It's there and working (albeit not at the best quality). See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1602171 for a complete report.

----------

The sensor on the iPhone 5 is 3264 pixels wide. That's 1.7 times the width of the 1920 pixels of its maximum video resolution. That means you could reasonably zoom on 2x without losing any measurable detail (when compressed to the level of H.264 it compresses - if you could get raw video out, then 1.7x is about it.)

In theory, 1.7; in practice, 1.4545 - see my article for more info if interested.

----------

When you only zoom up to the upsampling limit, no quality degradation will take place. See the Nokia PureView 808.

Menneisyys2
Oct 7, 2013, 05:20 AM
Guys,

I've posted a full article on the zooming of iOS7 to the MacRumors forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18091855