Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
So I'd like to update to iOS7 but I want to make sure I have a backup of iOS6 to go back to just encase. I've turned off automatic back-ups to my computer when plugged in etc. How can I ensure I have an iOS 6 backup just encase anything goes wrong or encase I overwrite my iOS 6 backup with a 7?

Retina13

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
iTunes > top left click iTunes drop down menu > Preferences > Devices (And your backups should be there)

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
iTunes > top left click iTunes drop down menu > Preferences > Devices (And your backups should be there)

Somehow when my brother updated his phone it wrote over his iOS6 backup so he's having trouble downgrading now. I am familiar with the Devices/Backups section in iTunes I just wasn't sure if I backed up this morning, then updated to iOS 7, then ran a backup if it would overwrite my iOS 6 one.

I apologize for any confusion

Retina13

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
Somehow when my brother updated his phone it wrote over his iOS6 backup so he's having trouble downgrading now. I am familiar with the Devices/Backups section in iTunes I just wasn't sure if I backed up this morning, then updated to iOS 7, then ran a backup if it would overwrite my iOS 6 one.

I apologize for any confusion

I did make a backup before i went with iOS7. All I did was hold the option key and click on update, the finder popped up and lets you manually select a software so I clicked the iOS7 file i downloaded and bam it was done within minutes. Everything was how it was. Make sure you click UPDATE and not RESTORE.

marddin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I did make a backup before i went with iOS7. All I did was hold the option key and click on update, the finder popped up and lets you manually select a software so I clicked the iOS7 file i downloaded and bam it was done within minutes. Everything was how it was. Make sure you click UPDATE and not RESTORE.

Yeah I know how to update to iOS 7 but once I have iOS7 on it and working fine, if I were to back up my phone, would it overwrite my old one? I need to make sure I have an old iOS6 backup to go to

Retina13

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2013
Yeah I know how to update to iOS 7 but once I have iOS7 on it and working fine, if I were to back up my phone, would it overwrite my old one? I need to make sure I have an old iOS6 backup to go to

Ohh ok I see what your saying now. And I'm gonna say yes because I've backed up my phone a few times and under devices it says I only have 1 backup of my phone. So I think it does overwrite, im not sure if theirs a way around that.

FourOhFour

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011

In iTunes, go to prefs -> devices. Right click your backup and select "Archive".

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Are you using Windows or Mac?

For windows:

Firstly make sure you show hidden files - follow the simple instructions on this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/show-hidden-files

Backups will be at the locations below (choose your system)

Windows XP:
\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Windows Vista or Windows 7/8:
\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

Replace USERNAME with your personal account name.

Make a copy of the backup located in the Backup folder (individual backups are shown as folders, each with a long string of numbers as a title) - to your desktop. There might be more than one backup in this folder, so choose the correct one - use the time made to decide which one is which. This copy needs to be put back in the above location in the future if iTunes copies over it...it is safe on the desktop from iTunes deletion.

For Mac -

~user/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

Repeat the same procedure as windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.