PDA

View Full Version : I hated iOS 7 look until I installed it......

Black Magic
Jun 14, 2013, 10:58 AM
All,

When I first saw iOS 7 on websites and video, I was disgusted and wondered aloud if Apple was circling the drain because surely Steve Jobs would never release such a thing.

Yesterday, I went ahead and installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and I have to say it's really nice. Hell, even the icons are growing on me (Ive mentioned that the icons are a work in progress and will change before GM). It's just a better OS period. The look is more modern and up to date and I couldn't imagine going back to iOS 6 at this point.

Moral of the story, don't knock it until you have tried it. The damn thing rocks!

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 11:02 AM
Apple has me hooked. It doesn't matter what the next iPhone or version of iOS offers, I'll purchase it. The Apple ecosystem is what has me locked in... Airplay, iCloud, et cetera.

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 11:04 AM
When did Ive say the icons are a work in progress and will change before the GM? And I admit it looks slightly better in person, but it's still hideous in my eyes.

Patriot24
Jun 14, 2013, 11:25 AM
All,

When I first say iOS 7 on websites and video, I was disgusted and wondered aloud if Apple was circling the drain because surely Steve Jobs would never release such a thing.

Yesterday, I went ahead and installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and I have to say it's really nice. Hell even the icons are growing on me (Ive mentioned that the icons are a work in progress and will change before GM). It's just a better OS period. The look is more modern and up to date and I couldn't imagine going back to iOS 6 at this point.

Moral of the story, don't knock it until you have tried it. The damn thing rocks!

Glad you are enjoying it. I have been making the point for the last several days that interacting with it is worlds away from simply looking at screenshots and reading the complaints from nitpickers on the forum.

I really wish people would wait until they have some hands-on experience before judging.

PrometheusGeek
Jun 14, 2013, 11:38 AM
Ive mentioned that the icons are a work in progress and will change before GM

Source, please?

tymaster50
Jun 14, 2013, 11:42 AM
I like iOS 7. There I said it. I don't see all the criticism. Same people complaining about how iOS is stale are now saying it's too colorful and looks like a 7 year old drew it and it copied features from android. Hypocrit.es

boshii
Jun 14, 2013, 11:43 AM
Source, please?

The site goes on to note that the design is "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 11:46 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/12/jony-ive-put-apples-marketing-team-in-charge-of-ios-7-icon-design/

That's speculation from a tech site, not words from Ive's mouth.

freedevil
Jun 14, 2013, 11:47 AM
I like IOS 7 too but the icons seem to be pea cocking.

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 11:48 AM

I think Apple is more open to hear our cries than in past times now. I'm willing to bet they'll change it up a bit.

Just seconds after I posted this, this surfaced (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/screen-shot-2013-06-14-at-12-19-22-pm.png). A possible leak by Apple themselves "by mistake" (to shut us up so we know new icons are coming). Just a theory...

boshii
Jun 14, 2013, 11:49 AM

I'm not saying Ive said it, it's just where the other poster's words came from.

It’s also clear from what we’ve seen and heard that what we’re seeing of iOS 7 right now is a ‘mid stride’ snapshot. The work on design and development is still going full tilt, and what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress’. We’re told, for instance, that some builds of iOS used onstage at the conference by presenters are already newer than the ones pushed out on Monday.

seble
Jun 14, 2013, 01:09 PM
I like iOS 7. There I said it. I don't see all the criticism. Same people complaining about how iOS is stale are now saying it's too colorful and looks like a 7 year old drew it and it copied features from android. Hypocrit.es

my phone tried to redirect me to 'hypocrite.es' thanks to you ;)

Iluvtattsnpink
Jun 14, 2013, 01:21 PM

I def agree. I love it too and for a beta its sure as stable for me and im getting the same battery usage when i was on 6.1.4 i would say a little better actually.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 01:22 PM
my phone tried to redirect me to 'hypocrite.es' thanks to you ;)

One of Estonia's finest websites.

WhackyNinja
Jun 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
All,

When I first saw iOS 7 on websites and video, I was disgusted and wondered aloud if Apple was circling the drain because surely Steve Jobs would never release such a thing.

Yesterday, I went ahead and installed iOS 7 on my iPhone 5 and I have to say it's really nice. Hell, even the icons are growing on me (Ive mentioned that the icons are a work in progress and will change before GM). It's just a better OS period. The look is more modern and up to date and I couldn't imagine going back to iOS 6 at this point.

See? I've told people that you NEED to try it. The new look will grow on you.

Night Spring
Jun 14, 2013, 02:04 PM

Well, as I've been saying in other threads, for me the effect has been opposite. When I saw the keynote, I was excited to try it, but once I installed and started using iOS 7, I found one thing after another that didn't work for me. Just take the new font for example. At first glance it looks sleek and pretty, but after looking at it all day, it makes me feel edgy and tired.

mjpearce023
Jun 14, 2013, 02:59 PM
The only thing I really don't like the look of is the folders. I think they could have made them look like a layered stack of apps and when you point to the folder they disperse out onto the screen. They way when you move the screen around the stack would change positions and it would add to the 3D effect. Other than the folders I think it looks great. It has changed the way I use the phone. I used to never go into the "multitask" screen unless I was going to kill an app and now I use it all the time. I also really like when you go to an app the way it comes up on the screen. The animations are much better all around and I’m sure they will get even smoother as we get new betas.

batting1000
Jun 14, 2013, 03:08 PM
When did Ive say the icons are a work in progress and will change before the GM? And I admit it looks slightly better in person, but it's still hideous in my eyes.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/12/why-does-the-design-of-ios-7-look-so-different/

Read this article. Their sources say "what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress".

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 04:09 PM
http://thenextweb.com/apple/2013/06/12/why-does-the-design-of-ios-7-look-so-different/

Read this article. Their sources say "what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress".

Right, but that's not far from Ive himself saying the designs are a work in progress and will be updated by the GM.

batting1000
Jun 14, 2013, 04:21 PM
Right, but that's not far from Ive himself saying the designs are a work in progress and will be updated by the GM.

Well there's no doubt they are.

Brittany246
Jun 14, 2013, 05:03 PM
I used it on my iPhone 5 a few days ago, and I still thought it was ugly... just a little less ugly. I ended up going back to 6.1.4...

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 05:13 PM
Well, as I've been saying in other threads, for me the effect has been opposite. When I saw the keynote, I was excited to try it, but once I installed and started using iOS 7, I found one thing after another that didn't work for me. Just take the new font for example. At first glance it looks sleek and pretty, but after looking at it all day, it makes me feel edgy and tired.I am experiencing pretty much the same thing. Hopefully things will improve both in terms of functionality and design through the various betas (and by the final release).

Bujin
Jun 14, 2013, 05:25 PM
I agree with the original post - wouldn't dream of going back to ios6.

z06gal
Jun 14, 2013, 06:11 PM
I agree with the original post - wouldn't dream of going back to ios6.

Agree ;)

batman75
Jun 14, 2013, 06:16 PM
Same here. It doesn't look as good in photos or screenshots as it does in reality.

I love iOS 7.

I have 2 iPhones and I'm running 6 on one and 7 on another. The 6 phone seems totally outdated, and also it's a pain always having to go to settings to affect stuff that's in the control panel in 7.

Jun 14, 2013, 08:32 PM
One of Estonia's finest websites.

.es is España/Spain.

sportsfrk214
Jun 14, 2013, 08:48 PM
I thought I used to love how iOS looked, so clean and polished. That changed when I started playing the game "Dots". Dots has a really simple, modern, flat-ish kind of look to it. I would play the game for about 10 minutes, and when I went back to my homescreen, my iPhone suddenly felt ancient. It was obvious that the software, while polished, looked antiquated in today's tech world and a change was needed. I love how they've freshened up the look significantly while still making it feel like an iPhone.

C DM
Jun 14, 2013, 08:51 PM
I thought I used to love how iOS look, so clean and polished. That changed when I started playing the game "Dots". Dots has a really simple, modern, flat-ish kind of look to it. I would play the game for about 10 minutes, and when I went back to my homescreen, my iPhone suddenly felt ancient. It was obvious that the software, while polished, looked antiquated in today's tech world and a change was needed. I love how they've freshened up the look significantly while still making it feel like an iPhone.Yup, they made the phone look fresh...like a game. Unfortunately, at least some, if not quite a few people, don't really want their phone looking like a game.

Perhaps the old design needed some updating...mostly it seems simply because it's been around for a while and people got used to it, not because it was a bad design (not counting some skeuomorphism type of items in a few apps), but a new design shouldn't suddenly make the phone look like a game (or a toy).

Trius
Jun 14, 2013, 09:00 PM

This is so ridiculous... ITS BETA #1!!!
Of course it's a "work in progress". Why is this even a discussion???

PrometheusGeek
Jun 14, 2013, 09:16 PM

Nothing in that article says that Jony Ive stated that he intends to modify the icons, which is what your original post claims. It simply speculates that the visual appearance is a work in progress, without citing any source.

Black Magic
Jun 14, 2013, 10:41 PM
Nothing in that article says that Jony Ive stated that he intends to modify the icons, which is what your original post claims. It simply speculates that the visual appearance is a work in progress, without citing any source.

I am the one that posted that Ive stated it after quickly reading the MacRumors article. I did so in error.

Drunken Master
Jun 14, 2013, 10:49 PM
Yup, they made the phone look fresh...like a game. Unfortunately, at least some, if not quite a few people, don't really want their phone looking like a game.

It's OK, we always have to drag the neckbeards and weenies kicking and screaming into the future.

DarwinOSX
Jun 21, 2013, 12:08 PM
Steve Jobs released a lot of products that turned out to be duds. I agree that iOS 7 looks much better when you can actually see and use it except for the thin fonts and overly garish icons. I hope they do something about those things.

All,

iOSOS
Jun 21, 2013, 12:42 PM
All,

What kind of mushrooms have you been smoking? When did Ive say that the icons are a work in progress and will change before GM?

rmeadejr
Jun 21, 2013, 12:48 PM
What kind of mushrooms have you been smoking? When did Ive say that the icons are a work in progress and will change before GM?

i think he is thinking of this:

The good news is that iOS 7 will probably change quite a bit before it ships to the public this fall. “The work on design and development is still going full tilt, and what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress’,” reports The Next Web. Some big design changes will likely be pushed to developers as Apple releases new iOS 7 betas in the coming months.

http://www.cultofmac.com/231674/apples-designers-werent-in-charge-of-ios-7-icons-overall-design-still-a-work-in-progress/

Mrg02d
Jun 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
Seems that people need to remember what this beta was intended for: To let app devs test their code on iOS7...NOT to showcase iOS7.

Dont forget that the apps are what set iOS apart from its competition.

I bet this has been said 10M times now.:cool:

Rogifan
Jun 21, 2013, 12:56 PM
i think he is thinking of this:

The good news is that iOS 7 will probably change quite a bit before it ships to the public this fall. “The work on design and development is still going full tilt, and what was presented this week is firmly a ‘work in progress’,” reports The Next Web. Some big design changes will likely be pushed to developers as Apple releases new iOS 7 betas in the coming months.

http://www.cultofmac.com/231674/apples-designers-werent-in-charge-of-ios-7-icons-overall-design-still-a-work-in-progress/

9to5Mac also reported that Apple is widening the beta testing (most likely to family members of employees) to get more feedback. Considering the strong reactions some are having to iOS 7 do people really think Apple will take all that feedback and just throw it in the trash bin? And why would they widen testing to get more feedback if they weren't planning on doing anything with it? Let's not forget we haven't even seen an iPad beta yet. That alone signals this all is a work in progress.

rmeadejr
Jun 21, 2013, 12:58 PM
9to5Mac also reported that Apple is widening the beta testing (most likely to family members of employees) to get more feedback. Considering the strong reactions some are having to iOS 7 do people really think Apple will take all that feedback and just throw it in the trash bin? And why would they widen testing to get more feedback if they weren't planning on doing anything with it? Let's not forget we haven't even seen an iPad beta yet. That alone signals this all is a work in progress.

yeap, i read that also. excited to see the up coming betas.

myrtlebee
Jun 21, 2013, 02:21 PM
I really railed against it at first (especially the florescent colors and what I thought was excessive transparency), but after seeing it in action, it has started to grow on me. Even the color scheme.... which is extremely odd since at first it was quite jarring and a huge put-off. Granted, some tweaks need to be given to some icons, because some still look extremely elementary or make no sense (Weather, Game Center). Also, skeumorphism is not 100% voided in iOS 7- take a look at Newsstand -- looks a lot like shelves to me. I also wish they would make the interface for the music app blue instead of hot pink. I'm curious to see what differences are made to the iPad version and if they will take advantage of extra functionalities enabled by more screen real estate.

Megakazbek
Jun 21, 2013, 02:52 PM
Seems that people need to remember what this beta was intended for: To let app devs test their code on iOS7...NOT to showcase iOS7.
Seems that people need to remember that Apple's website right on front page has this huge message inviting everyone to look at iOS7, and they show in pretty good detail exactly the same design as in current beta.

dcp10
Jun 21, 2013, 03:15 PM
I don't think the icon designs are going to change, but I do think the shape will changed to round. Circles are such a large presence in the new theme that it seems logical to me that it would extend to the home screen too.

C DM
Jun 21, 2013, 03:38 PM
Seems that people need to remember that Apple's website right on front page has this huge message inviting everyone to look at iOS7, and they show in pretty good detail exactly the same design as in current beta.But, as been pointed out, even on the site it's not exactly the same as in beta (shadows vs. no shadows, different transparency in places, etc.) Not to mention that it also says that features are subject to change, and have changed and updated their site related to beta and final release in the past too.

That's not to say that any changes are likely or not likely, or that they could or would be large or small, but they can and have happened.

53kyle
Jun 21, 2013, 03:39 PM
I just hated all of the icons, but after I installed it, I got used to them.

KenAFSPC
Jun 21, 2013, 07:27 PM
I used it on my iPhone 5 a few days ago, and I still thought it was ugly... just a little less ugly. I ended up going back to 6.1.4...Same here. It's not as bad as the screenshots in actual use, but it is still pretty bad. IMO.

falconeight
Jun 21, 2013, 07:53 PM
Most people don't have a real problem with it. They are either fanboys or just like complaining.

BasicGreatGuy
Jun 21, 2013, 08:00 PM
Most people don't have a real problem with it. They are either fanboys or just like complaining.

And it will be even better, once the bugs are squashed. :)

falconeight
Jun 21, 2013, 08:01 PM
And it will be even better, once the bugs are squashed. :)

Ya, I understand that bugs suck and there are a lot of them.

NM08SRT8
Jun 21, 2013, 09:13 PM
Apple has me hooked. It doesn't matter what the next iPhone or version of iOS offers, I'll purchase it. The Apple ecosystem is what has me locked in... Airplay, iCloud, et cetera.

Thank you for speaking for me too ;) lol

PNutts
Jun 22, 2013, 11:43 PM
I'm the opposite. I think iOS 7 looks great on paper/pictures but when in your hand it's flawed.

jk4lebron23
Jun 23, 2013, 03:09 AM
It's easily the best IOS released and it's just a beta so the GM I'm sure will be amazing.
I like the new icons and the new text font, it's different and fits more.
To the person who said the new text font makes him edgy and tired, I really think you might have bigger issues. :D

Night Spring
Jun 23, 2013, 09:21 AM
It's easily the best IOS released and it's just a beta so the GM I'm sure will be amazing.
To the person who said the new text font makes him edgy and tired, I really think you might have bigger issues. :D

My issue is that I have bad eyesight. And my vision problem is not completely corrected by glasses. So staring at thin, hard-to-see fonts make me tired, and edgy.

Plus, of course different fonts make you feel different ways, otherwise why would designers bother with different font styles? You just happen to like the way the new fonts make you feel, so you are unsympathetic to people who don't like that feeling. I mean, for some people edgy is cool. But I don't like feeling edgy. That's all.

KenAFSPC
Jun 23, 2013, 09:48 AM
To the person who said the new text font makes him edgy and tired, I really think you might have bigger issues. :DThe new font is more difficult to read, especially for those with less-than-perfect vision, which makes the iPhone much more fatiguing to use on a daily basis. Plus, with certain backgrounds, the text on the home screen is difficult to read even if you have perfect vision.

C DM
Jun 23, 2013, 09:56 AM
To the person who said the new text font makes him edgy and tired, I really think you might have bigger issues. :DYeah the bigger issue is that not everyone likes change simply because of change and because it would be some cool or hip thing. A lot of people actually look for usefulness, usability, and other kinds of things with real world importance.

batting1000
Jun 23, 2013, 10:05 AM
This is so ridiculous... ITS BETA #1!!!
Of course it's a "work in progress". Why is this even a discussion???

With past betas, the update was around 95% done and all that was left was very minor tweaking and bug fixes. If you look at beta 1 of iOS 6, for example, and compare it to the final release, you'd notice that not much changed at all visually and functionally. I don't mean a "work in progress" as in its going to be improved a little before it comes out and it's going to be become more stable. Obviously that'll happen. What I mean is that because iOS 7 is such a large departure from iOS 6 and because the team working on it only had roughly 7 months, things will likely change visually and functionally more than past iOS betas.

VulchR
Jun 23, 2013, 12:20 PM
My issue is that I have bad eyesight. And my vision problem is not completely corrected by glasses. So staring at thin, hard-to-see fonts make me tired, and edgy....

I totally agree, and suffer from a similar problem since my eyesight is poor. As the population in the West gets older, the readability of the text on mobile devices is going to become an important issue. I just hope that at some point Apple, Google, MS etc. will wake up and smell the coffee and start using scientific principles of visual perception to guide their design choices. Indeed, I wonder if some design fly a little too close to outright discrimination against those with impaired vision.

LastZion
Jun 23, 2013, 07:15 PM
Ya, I love it too. Its been over a week and I still love playing with my phone. Think its smooth.

Zaid
Jun 24, 2013, 10:13 AM
I totally agree, and suffer from a similar problem since my eyesight is poor. As the population in the West gets older, the readability of the text on mobile devices is going to become an important issue. I just hope that at some point Apple, Google, MS etc. will wake up and smell the coffee and start using scientific principles of visual perception to guide their design choices. Indeed, I wonder if some design fly a little too close to outright discrimination against those with impaired vision.

You do know that the os allows you to increase the size of the font that gets used in most of the UI right? and with accessibility mode you can increase even beyond that if you really have very poor eyesight.

Night Spring
Jun 24, 2013, 11:53 AM
You do know that the os allows you to increase the size of the font that gets used in most of the UI right? and with accessibility mode you can increase even beyond that if you really have very poor eyesight.

Have you tried turning on those options? They only change the font in certain apps. Most of the UI are not affected by turning on those options. If they are supposed to, then there is a massive bug.

slffl
Jun 24, 2013, 01:05 PM

Yup same here. It's the trifecta of using an iPhone, iPad, and iMac together seamlessly. I LOVE it!

Zaid
Jun 24, 2013, 02:41 PM
Have you tried turning on those options? They only change the font in certain apps. Most of the UI are not affected by turning on those options. If they are supposed to, then there is a massive bug.

Well they use a new framework, so I wouldn't expect all the apps to actually have been updated to use them yet. It's still beta 1!

The fact that the framework is there and the fact that the options are there however, means thats how they intend it to work in the finished product

Night Spring
Jun 24, 2013, 03:06 PM
Well they use a new framework, so I wouldn't expect all the apps to actually have been updated to use them yet. It's still beta 1!

The fact that the framework is there and the fact that the options are there however, means thats how they intend it to work in the finished product

Well, I'm not optimistic about too many developers bothering to implement this in their apps. IMO, font size should be a system-wide setting that applies to all apps without developers having to do anything. Plus, there is the problem of system UI, such as notification center -- right now, changing the font size settings doesn't do anything to the font size there. Do they intend to have the font size settings apply to system UI, and just haven't turned it on yet?

Zaid
Jun 24, 2013, 03:33 PM
Well, I'm not optimistic about too many developers bothering to implement this in their apps. IMO, font size should be a system-wide setting that applies to all apps without developers having to do anything. Plus, there is the problem of system UI, such as notification center -- right now, changing the font size settings doesn't do anything to the font size there. Do they intend to have the font size settings apply to system UI, and just haven't turned it on yet?

I would imagine they do. And if you use the accessibility settings it almost definitely should. If there are parts of the os that aren't updating log a bug with apple. I find the default font fine, so haven't bothered.

I think most developers will move their UI to use iOS7 widgets rather quickly or they'll risk looking ridiculously old fashioned. When they do, they should get the text scaling for free.

slffl
Jun 24, 2013, 03:36 PM
Wow, I just installed it and am not liking it. I thought i was going to love it after seeing it in person. Icons I could care less about.

What I don't like is the flat, plain, boring look akin to Google and Windows current design philosophy!! Notes is now a joke. And the animations aren't as long as WP8, but still way too long for a phone UI.

VulchR
Jun 29, 2013, 09:21 AM

You've obviously never changed the font sizes on web pages etc. I get that Apple and other companies attempt to cater for those with impairments. However, the design process appears to ignore people with such impairments (or indeed the workload of the brains of unimpaired people) and then half-assed solutions to mitigate the poor design of UI's are bolted on later. Good UI design is not about specs (retina display PPI) nor pure aesthetics, but about usability. As 'dull' as this sounds, why make the task of decoding a visual display unnecessarily difficult for anybody's nervous system?

DarwinOSX
Jun 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
I liked it better after I installed but now that I have been using it I really dislike it. People rationalizing fonts that are way too thin need to face facts instead of knee jerk defending the design. It's obvious that this is a major issue made worse by a smaller screen than many other phones. I don't like it on my iPad either. Thin font, mismatched nonsensical colors, smaller icons. This is terrible.

----------

Yeah the bigger issue is that not everyone likes change simply because of change and because it would be some cool or hip thing. A lot of people actually look for usefulness, usability, and other kinds of things with real world importance.

So being able to read a font is not real world important...got it...

blasto2236
Jun 29, 2013, 12:49 PM
Well, as I've been saying in other threads, for me the effect has been opposite. When I saw the keynote, I was excited to try it, but once I installed and started using iOS 7, I found one thing after another that didn't work for me. Just take the new font for example. At first glance it looks sleek and pretty, but after looking at it all day, it makes me feel edgy and tired.

A font makes you feel edgy and tired? Get a hold of yourself.

Night Spring
Jun 29, 2013, 12:55 PM
A font makes you feel edgy and tired? Get a hold of yourself.

It does, because it is so hard to see. And before you say it, yes, I have glasses, but my vision problem can't be totally corrected with glasses. And yes, I did turn all the font adjustment settings on in Accessibility, but they don't change the fonts where it really matters.

And I said this already in this thread -- did you even bother to read through the thread before posting?

KenAFSPC
Jun 29, 2013, 01:12 PM
It does, because it is so hard to see. And before you say it, yes, I have glasses, but my vision problem can't be totally corrected with glasses. And yes, I did turn all the font adjustment settings on in Accessibility, but they don't change the fonts where it really matters.

And I said this already in this thread -- did you even bother to read through the thread before posting?No, he did not. Anyone with even the mildest of vision problems can relate to what you describe.

blasto2236
Jun 29, 2013, 01:46 PM

And I said this already in this thread -- did you even bother to read through the thread before posting?

No, I didn't. It's fine to say that a font makes your EYES tired. You said it makes YOU edgy and tired, which is silly. Revert back to 6 and call it a day. :rolleyes:

KenAFSPC
Jun 29, 2013, 02:03 PM
No, I didn't. It's fine to say that a font makes your EYES tired. You said it makes YOU edgy and tired, which is silly. Revert back to 6 and call it a day. :rolleyes:When you have to strain to read text, even if slightly, your eyes don't just get tired. There is physical stress on the body. This stress has been proven to cause temporary changes in brain chemistry. It can cause one to feel physically tired; it can cause one to become "edgy" (i.e., quick to lose patience or quick to anger); and it can cause headaches. All of this is well-documented, which is why doctors recommend a vision test for patients exhibiting these symptoms.

Night Spring
Jun 29, 2013, 02:34 PM
When you have to strain to read text, even if slightly, your eyes don't just get tired. There is physical stress on the body. This stress has been proven to cause temporary changes in brain chemistry. It can cause one to feel physically tired; it can cause one to become "edgy" (i.e., quick to lose patience or quick to anger); and it can cause headaches. All of this is well-documented, which is why doctors recommend a vision test for patients exhibiting these symptoms.

Thank you for backing me up, that's it, exactly. When my eyesight started to get bad, the first thing that happened was that I got headaches when I tried to read, especially small print like dictionaries. And you don't realize that your eyes have gone bad, you just think, "My god, I'm having all these headaches recently." Now that I know what to watch for, I know to stop reading before I get a headache, but the first symptom I get (before it develops into a full blown headache) is "feeling edgy."

And I never put iOS 7 on my main phone (iPhone 5), just on my backup 4S. And I probably will keep my iPhone 5 on iOS 6 for as long as possible, unless the font and contrast problems drastically improve.

iapplelove
Jun 29, 2013, 02:55 PM
Been using ios7 since beta2 on an iPad. There are many things I like and many things mainly appearances I miss about ios6

Iceage
Jun 29, 2013, 03:44 PM
Well, I've had iOS 7 on my phone since day 1 and on my min since yesterday. I love it and wouldn't go back to iOS 6. It looks great with a dark wallpaper.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/30/2ytuqesa.jpg

C DM
Jul 1, 2013, 06:59 PM
I liked it better after I installed but now that I have been using it I really dislike it. People rationalizing fonts that are way too thin need to face facts instead of knee jerk defending the design. It's obvious that this is a major issue made worse by a smaller screen than many other phones. I don't like it on my iPad either. Thin font, mismatched nonsensical colors, smaller icons. This is terrible.

----------

So being able to read a font is not real world important...got it...What? That was the whole point of that reply--things like the new "hip" thinner fonts that are not as user friendly are the ones that carry real world importance (vs. people just liking them simply because they are new and different and somehow "cool" and for no other actual practical reason).

xcodeaddict
Jul 1, 2013, 07:04 PM
All,

All credit and the utmost of respect to you for this! :)

Well folks, that's one person who's learned to shut up and give it a fair go, now 1,089,009,778 to go...

pedrofan
Jul 1, 2013, 07:06 PM
All,

I feel and think just the opposite

xcodeaddict
Jul 1, 2013, 07:07 PM
I feel and think just the opposite

Okay... so what?

harcosparky
Jul 1, 2013, 07:20 PM
I wonder if it would be wise to put IOS-7 on an ancient iPhone 4?

pedrofan
Jul 1, 2013, 08:18 PM
Okay... so what?

He expressed his opinion. Is it wrong to you that I can express mine?

Night Spring
Jul 1, 2013, 08:36 PM
All credit and the utmost of respect to you for this! :)

Well folks, that's one person who's learned to shut up and give it a fair go, now 1,089,009,778 to go...

So only people who decide they like it have given it a fair go? Because I feel I came into this prepared to give iOS 7 a fair go, but I just can't get over all the little usability issues I've run into.

kycophpd
Jul 1, 2013, 08:48 PM
I bought a smartphone to use apps on it not stare at icons all day long.

Who are these people that stare at the icons all day long causing eye strain?

aimee.elizabeth
Jul 1, 2013, 08:56 PM
So only people who decide they like it have given it a fair go? Because I feel I came into this prepared to give iOS 7 a fair go, but I just can't get over all the little usability issues I've run into.

You're exactly the type of person that developers are so ******** about on this forum. Of course there are usability issues - it's a beta. It's one thing to discuss these issues and bring them to light, it's another to judge the whole OS negatively because the BETA isn't working to your liking. This thread is asking about the OS on the whole anyways, not just the beginning betas. So no, not really, you still haven't given it a fair go, because those bugs and usability issues will be fixed with time.

xcodeaddict
Jul 1, 2013, 09:08 PM

Your choice mate, do whatever... ya know.

DarkoDonnie
Jul 1, 2013, 09:12 PM
I'm hoping I have the same feeling when I try ios7. I'm not sold on it's looks.

Night Spring
Jul 1, 2013, 10:00 PM
You're exactly the type of person that developers are so ******** about on this forum. Of course there are usability issues - it's a beta. It's one thing to discuss these issues and bring them to light, it's another to judge the whole OS negatively because the BETA isn't working to your liking. This thread is asking about the OS on the whole anyways, not just the beginning betas. So no, not really, you still haven't given it a fair go, because those bugs and usability issues will be fixed with time.

Indeed, I would be the happiest person here if all the usability issues do get fixed by general release. I may not be a dev, but I can see how excited many of the devs are about the new features of iOS 7, and I suspect that there will be many new apps and updates of existing apps taking advantage of as-yet-undisclosed iOS 7 features that I would want to use. All I want is to be able to enjoy these new features without having to put up with too-thin fonts and hard-to-see UI icons/texts. I think that I can appreciate the good parts of the new OS even while pointing out its faults.

And while there are some people just whining and complaining, I think that most posters are in fact engaged in a discussion of what works and what doesn't work for them, and why. And to dismiss all these concerns with "it's beta," or "you haven't given it a fair go" -- that IMO, is just as bad as whining and complaining.

NewYork88
Jul 1, 2013, 11:58 PM
I went back to iOS 6 for 2 days and honestly it feels ancient ......

KenAFSPC
Jul 2, 2013, 12:59 AM
You're exactly the type of person that developers are so ******** about on this forum. Of course there are usability issues - it's a beta. It's one thing to discuss these issues and bring them to light, it's another to judge the whole OS negatively because the BETA isn't working to your liking. This thread is asking about the OS on the whole anyways, not just the beginning betas. So no, not really, you still haven't given it a fair go, because those bugs and usability issues will be fixed with time.You realize that many of those complaining are developers, right? Apple went through dozens of internal builds, prior to the developer release, to reach the point they are at now. In past developer betas, Apple has fixed bugs, tweaked existing features, and improved performance. But Apple has never made significant aesthetic changes between the first developer beta and final in the past. This may be a special case, but hoping it is a special case doesn't make it so. Apple certainly hasn't shown much interest in developer complaints about the font or the aesthetics (which create usability issues) so far; they've even told some developers not to submit more reports on visual-type issues.

naasrd
Jul 2, 2013, 01:46 AM
Who are these people that stare at the icons all day long causing eye strain?

What are you talking about?

aimee.elizabeth
Jul 2, 2013, 01:58 AM
You realize that many of those complaining are developers, right? Apple went through dozens of internal builds, prior to the developer release, to reach the point they are at now. In past developer betas, Apple has fixed bugs, tweaked existing features, and improved performance. But Apple has never made significant aesthetic changes between the first developer beta and final in the past. This may be a special case, but hoping it is a special case doesn't make it so. Apple certainly hasn't shown much interest in developer complaints about the font or the aesthetics (which create usability issues) so far; they've even told some developers not to submit more reports on visual-type issues.

... What are you talking about? My reply was aimed at the person who says that he has given ios 7 a try but doesn't like it because of the bugs in a BETA. This thread is asking for people's opinions on the UI and aesthetic changes after they've tried ios 7.

A lot of developers are annoyed because non-devs are posting complaints about bugs and issues that are expected in a beta but will be fixed over time. And the guy that I was replying to basically said that he doesn't like ios 7 because there are bugs. And I was simply telling him that of course there are bugs in this beta, but he shouldn't judge the whole OS based on the beta bugs.

Night Spring
Jul 2, 2013, 02:10 AM
... What are you talking about? My reply was aimed at the person who says that he has given ios 7 a try but doesn't like it because of the bugs in a BETA. This thread is asking for people's opinions on the UI and aesthetic changes after they've tried ios 7.

A lot of developers are annoyed because non-devs are posting complaints about bugs and issues that are expected in a beta but will be fixed over time. And the guy that I was replying to basically said that he doesn't like ios 7 because there are bugs. And I was simply telling him that of course there are bugs in this beta, but he shouldn't judge the whole OS based on the beta bugs.

What? I didn't say I didn't like iOS 7 because of bugs, I said it had usability issues. I didn't list them because I've posted about them already numerous times, but for example, the thin system font is very hard on my eyes, and the bright neon colors that they are using for UI controls in the stock apps don't provide enough contrast on the all-white background, and combined with the extremely thin lines they are using, again makes them very hard to see. And the more I use iOS 7, the more I find little usability issues like the above two. Issues like these aren't bugs, they are deliberate design decisions.

EDIT: But rereading my post, I can see how people who haven't seen my previous posts in the iOS 7 subforum might interpret "usability issues" = bugs. Sorry about the confusion, next time I'll list the issues, even though I feel like people might be tired of hearing me talk about the visibility issues yet again.

DMH3006
Jul 2, 2013, 07:05 AM
What? That was the whole point of that reply--things like the new "hip" thinner fonts that are not as user friendly are the ones that carry real world importance (vs. people just liking them simply because they are new and different and somehow "cool" and for no other actual practical reason).

You're able to increase the font size you know? perhaps try to see if theres an option for your problem before bashing it,how about that?;)

Sedrick
Jul 2, 2013, 07:10 AM
I just hated all of the icons, but after I installed it, I got used to them.

All,

These aren't exactly ringing endorsements of the best that Apple can do. This thread is so full of Apple apologists that it's down right pathetic.

Here's the argument:
User one: This whole UI looks terrible! Childish and hurts my eyes.
User two: No it doesn't. You're mistaken. It's beta and will change drastically before release... even though there's nothing wrong with it... *cough.

Night Spring
Jul 2, 2013, 07:19 AM
You're able to increase the font size you know? perhaps try to see if theres an option for your problem before bashing it,how about that?;)

Tried. Only increases font size in app content (like the actual note text in Notes). Doesn't change the size of UI text. Doesn't change the text size in Notification Center. :(

Todd B.
Jul 2, 2013, 07:51 AM
It's basically the same thing as Maps; tech blogs showing their increasing irrelevance by doing nothing but baselessly complaining with sensationalistic blog titles for hits until everyone realizes that it's not a big deal.

Le Chiffre
Jul 2, 2013, 10:41 AM
It's basically the same thing as Maps; tech blogs showing their increasing irrelevance by doing nothing but baselessly complaining with sensationalistic blog titles for hits until everyone realizes that it's not a big deal.

No, maps was rubbish. It was a big deal.

Todd B.
Jul 2, 2013, 10:43 AM
No, maps was rubbish. It was a big deal.

It was rubbish to bloggers who never ever bothered to use it, sure.

Le Chiffre
Jul 2, 2013, 10:45 AM
It was rubbish to bloggers who never ever bothered to use it, sure.

And to people who use maps on a daily basis who don't live in the US and not in a major city.

cjmillsnun
Jul 2, 2013, 11:31 AM

Maps had serious issues, mainly data quality (ie back end). It WAS a big deal as compared to Google Maps a big step backwards had been taken. They've made a few baby steps forward, but it's still not at the same level data wise that was on Google Maps on iOS 5.

There is basically nothing wrong with the front end (the app itself) but the underlying data lets it down. That's a problem because it took Google 7 years before their maps were up to scratch and Google were working fast.

I work in the GIS sector and my specialism is cartography. Apple are making good progress but there is a lot of work to do on maps.

DMH3006
Jul 2, 2013, 04:53 PM
Tried. Only increases font size in app content (like the actual note text in Notes). Doesn't change the size of UI text. Doesn't change the text size in Notification Center. :(

I think the size of the UI text is perfect,especially if you have auto-brightness which adjusts the brightness to your surrounding,never had an issue with the size of the UI text although I do have extremely good vision so that might be it.

C DM
Jul 2, 2013, 06:49 PM
You're able to increase the font size you know? perhaps try to see if theres an option for your problem before bashing it,how about that?;)The fact that font size can be increased doesn't change the fact that the font itself and its default settings aren't very good from usability point of view (despite the fact that they might seem "cool" in some way mostly for being new and different for some).

That's not to mention that the increase of font size or various other font related options don't actually change the font in quite a few places (and often don't do that much in some other places). So, yeah, might be worth looking into a possible answer to see if it actually answers to question (not to mention if it answers the right question). ;)

Night Spring
Jul 2, 2013, 08:37 PM
I think the size of the UI text is perfect,especially if you have auto-brightness which adjusts the brightness to your surrounding,never had an issue with the size of the UI text although I do have extremely good vision so that might be it.

I think everyone at Apple must have perfect vision -- this isn't the first time they've used too small fonts that I can't read. For instance, the font they use for the iTunes / App Store are way too small, even on the PC, and there's no way to increase font size. :(

fortheus
Jul 2, 2013, 10:11 PM
you can adjust font size in iOS7

Night Spring
Jul 2, 2013, 10:27 PM
you can adjust font size in iOS7

And I keep posting this and posting this, that only adjusts *some* fonts, mostly app content. It doesn't change the size of the UI text, or the text in Notification Center.

AFDoc
Jul 3, 2013, 04:27 AM

I never complained about any of the ios's but I do believe the colors are ugly, and it does look like a 7 year old designed some of the tiles. Oh, and if you don't think ios7's looks aren't influenced by androids look you're out of your mind.

adildacoolset
Jul 6, 2013, 08:06 AM
These aren't exactly ringing endorsements of the best that Apple can do. This thread is so full of Apple apologists that it's down right pathetic.

Here's the argument:
User one: This whole UI looks terrible! Childish and hurts my eyes.
User two: No it doesn't. You're mistaken. It's beta and will change drastically before release... even though there's nothing wrong with it... *cough.

Sedrick: I cannot acknowledge that beta versions have actually changed a lot of elements in the last, like Game Center, the app switcher, and more.

MarkNY
Jul 6, 2013, 02:10 PM
I hated iOS 7, but of course that's one person's opinion. It's going to be interesting to see how it is received by the general population. I think it has a chance to be an epic flop -- Apple didn't become the biggest company in the world selling products only to the hipster art school crowd. And if it is a total flop, why should Tim Cook keep his job?

RichardF
Jul 6, 2013, 03:02 PM
Are you guys all developers? How can get iOS 7 as well?

vindictum
Jul 6, 2013, 04:51 PM
Are you guys all developers? How can get iOS 7 as well?

If you want to install iOS7, but you are not a developer and have no idea how to get/install iOS 7, take that as a sign that you shouldn't.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594304

If you still want it, google is your best friend.

RichardF
Jul 6, 2013, 06:38 PM
If you want to install iOS7, but you are not a developer and have no idea how to get/install iOS 7, take that as a sign that you shouldn't.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1594304

If you still want it, google is your best friend.

Well, I am the curious type so I'd like to learn.

*opens a new tab in Safari... googles UDID slut* :-) just joking

reservedegotist
Jul 6, 2013, 09:21 PM
I never complained about any of the ios's but I do believe the colors are ugly, and it does look like a 7 year old designed some of the tiles. Oh, and if you don't think ios7's looks aren't influenced by androids look you're out of your mind.

The resemblance is superficial, at best. The way it works though is still very much its own.

lsutigerfan1976
Jul 6, 2013, 09:56 PM
The resemblance is superficial, at best. The way it works though is still very much its own.

The resemblance to Android is not superficial. It was is very obvious to anyone i hand my phone to that i know which are pure android fanboys etc. It was done with the intention of luring those Android users to the Iphone again. It is a mixture of android, windows mobile, and jailbreak tweaks.

typeface
Jul 6, 2013, 09:57 PM
The resemblance to Android is not superficial. It was is very obvious to anyone i hand my phone to that i know which are pure android fanboys etc. It was done with the intention of luring those Android users to the Iphone again. It is a mixture of android, windows mobile, and jailbreak tweaks.

It uses colours and shapes, as do all physical things on this earth. Pretty hard to escape that really.

reservedegotist
Jul 6, 2013, 10:04 PM

So what did they say? I'm guessing how it looks? Color/flatness/thinner fonts? I put those under 'superficial' resemblance. Also, I really don't mind that they incorporate features already existing in other platforms or jailbreaks. It only means they'll integrate it in a better fashion (if not, someone gets fired *coughMapscough*).

falconeight
Jul 6, 2013, 10:08 PM
It uses colours and shapes, as do all physical things on this earth. Pretty hard to escape that really.

Deleted

typeface
Jul 6, 2013, 10:20 PM
YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M)

Sorry, I won't watch that - I find it offensive (I don't find you offensive by posting it though :)) to my Father, but no disrespect to you :)

falconeight
Jul 6, 2013, 10:24 PM
Sorry, I won't watch that - I find it offensive (I don't find you offensive by posting it though :)) to my Father, but no disrespect to you :)

haha Im wondering if you are serious.

typeface
Jul 6, 2013, 10:29 PM
haha Im wondering if you are serious.

I am - I am a Christian. It's okay - you didn't mean it offensively, it was not a judgement on you :)

nemesis4670
Aug 19, 2013, 09:31 AM
I felt the exact same way. I hated iOS 7 when looking at screenshots and the demo videos I've seen. But I decided to try Beta 5 on my iPad 4th Gen since it wasn't jailbreakable anyway so there was nothing to lose (it came with 6.1.3). The first hour or so I was having severe iOS 6 withdrawal and wanted to switch back. But I managed to stick with it a bit longer.

Suddenly, my mind completely changed and I started to forget about iOS 6. I'm loving the new animations & transitions of iOS 7 and the new type font. It's very clean, smooth, and makes iOS feel more modern.

You will find a lot of great features that make it easier to use. Most of which were things I needed jailbreak for in iOS 6. I love the control center, new IntelliscreenX-esque notification center, and the beautiful new multitasking. Safari is looking real clean too.

I love the small things too like how the screen smoothly fades out and fades in when you lock/unlock the device. Rather than just an immediate shut off. It gives the device a very premium feel.

Your wallpaper also determines something close to a "theme" for your home screen. Since transparency is used in many areas like the notification center, dock, and control panel. The wallpaper kind of accents everything.

iOS 7 made me miss jailbreaking a little less on my iPad since it provided some of the top tweaks I would use already built in. But once they do jailbreak iOS 7 it will open up a whole new world of possibilities.

There are some app designs that I don't like because of the over-use of white backgrounds. Such as the Music App, Videos App, and Clock App. But I am hoping they will improve that for the final release. Just feels rushed and unfinished.

thefourthpope
Aug 26, 2013, 07:46 PM
I was really on the fence about the new flat design. I don't have a dev account, or access to one, so I haven't played with an actual phone yet. Blackboard just released an update that seems completely in line with the new design aesthetic, though, and I love it.
The app was already pretty clean visually, but the changes are welcome, particularly in terms of removing clutter. In just five minutes it has me excited for the new UI.

iphonehype
Aug 26, 2013, 08:33 PM

You Sir are my mind. :apple:

iOSOS
Aug 27, 2013, 02:54 PM
I have to agree that iOS 7 is growing on me. With that in mind there are some huge misses in design compared to iOS 6. I don't like that text links has replaced all the buttons. The reminders app for example look cluttered with text links in the heading and several more for additional options. One other app that features a lot of options and buttons is the Podcaster app. Text links wil just destroy that app. Web and ui designers work really hard to perfect button designs and now we will all use text links. I don't think it will work. Every redesigned app for iOS 7 I have seen look like they have been designed by the same developer. I hope not all developers use thin border icons on a Gaussian blur background and a single color heading with text links. I also feel that menus/tables looked way better with rounded corners. Some parts of iOS 7 is genious and some are just bad. My fear is that all apps will look the same or resemble each other. Maybe its get better when we see larger players like Evernote, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Things, Instagram etc release their new designs. The beta program didn't propell the design forward as I would had hoped. Why haven't they fixed simple things like the hard to read icon labels and the icons themself??

Rooster411
Aug 27, 2013, 04:33 PM
I like most everything...except the dock background, the music app and the slightly larger icon size.

Sirious
Aug 27, 2013, 06:55 PM
I thought I used to love how iOS looked, so clean and polished. That changed when I started playing the game "Dots". Dots has a really simple, modern, flat-ish kind of look to it. I would play the game for about 10 minutes, and when I went back to my homescreen, my iPhone suddenly felt ancient. It was obvious that the software, while polished, looked antiquated in today's tech world and a change was needed. I love how they've freshened up the look significantly while still making it feel like an iPhone.

OMG. I thought I was the only one. It's so weird! "Dots" has shown me how ugly iOS 6 looks at times lol

musio
Aug 27, 2013, 10:42 PM
The pastel colours feels like Apple let a bunch of sissy kids design ios 7 as well as the icons.

Black Magic
Aug 28, 2013, 11:32 AM
GM in 2 weeks or less? :) Can't wait!