PDA

View Full Version : Beta tester

ToddH
Jun 14, 2013, 11:19 AM
Do you have to become part of a group or pay money to become a beta tester? I gather not everyone can download the software right now and report back to Apple.

T

utahman130
Jun 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
Do you have to become part of a group or pay money to become a beta tester? I gather not everyone can download the software right now and report back to Apple.

T

Join the Apple Developer Program

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 11:21 AM
To become a developer is $99 a year. You don't pay for betas, you pay for the SDK and membership. Access to betas is a benefit of the program. Each dev is given 99 slots to register devices. https://developer.apple.com/

GoCubsGo
Jun 14, 2013, 11:22 AM
You should never pay to get a beta version from a developer. If you're not a dev, you can find out if any devs want to let you get the beta for testing. Otherwise, you pay $100 to get the developer account or wait.

hoosier205
Jun 14, 2013, 11:24 AM
There is a right way and a wrong way. The vast majority here are doing it the wrong way. You can easily spot them complaining about a beta 1 as if it was a final public release.

ToddH
Jun 14, 2013, 11:51 AM
Okay I understand, thanks everybody for your quick replies and having the patience to reply, thank you.

I don't really consider myself a developer, just an avid iPhone user. So I will just wait for the release.....

Todd

iBreatheApple
Jun 14, 2013, 11:58 AM
I do it the "wrong way". People can act as morally superior as they want but I probably submit as much feedback, if not more than actual developers. I also know the risks and cons. I'm very involved and don't mind helping others out.

applelover1016
Jun 14, 2013, 12:46 PM
I do it the "wrong way". People can act as morally superior as they want but I probably submit as much feedback, if not more than actual developers. I also know the risks and cons. I'm very involved and don't mind helping others out.

I'm a dev, but, I look at it like this. Whether or not your a dev, you can always help, as long as you do it the right way. A developers point of view is far different then that of the average user. I installed it on my primary device and my girlfriends as well she provides feedback to me directly. Either way, everyone wins...

virginblue4
Jun 14, 2013, 12:49 PM
I'm a dev, but, I look at it like this. Whether or not your a dev, you can always help, as long as you do it the right way. A developers point of view is far different then that of the average user. I installed it on my primary device and my girlfriends as well she provides feedback to me directly. Either way, everyone wins...

Same situation. I'm a registered Apple developer and have also installed it on my primary device and onto my girlfriends. More feedback the better. The only thing that winds me up is people who constantly moan about problems, they don't seem to realise they are using pre-release software.

applelover1016
Jun 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
Same situation. I'm a registered Apple developer and have also installed it on my primary device and onto my girlfriends. More feedback the better. The only thing that winds me up is people who constantly moan about problems, they don't seem to release they are using pre-release software.

lol my feelings exactly, I hate to say it, but, I feel as though Apple should keep beta releases on a tighter leash just for this reason, I love feed back but the amount of whining and stupid threads are getting out of hand

Nyy8
Jun 14, 2013, 01:24 PM
Well I guess I do it "the wrong way" but I'm a average user. Not a dev at all, I put beta 1 on my primary phone to field test it. Since nothing is better then a real test, in the real world. I would like to be a "real" tester as you all call it, but I can't afford the $99.

I've been submitting feedback from iOS 5 beta to 6 now 7. Maybe one day I'll be able to do it the right way lol