PDA

View Full Version : Possible new iOS 7 icons

matty.p
Jun 14, 2013, 11:48 AM
Per 9to5mac. Live weather does sound nice.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/14/apple-website-mistake-reveals-alternate-ios-7-icons-with-tweaks-to-weather-passbook-and-more/

Nalmond92
Jun 14, 2013, 11:48 AM
just noticed this too! weather looks a lot better in my opinion as does passbook, wish they changed reminders a bit more though!

lukejc1
Jun 14, 2013, 11:52 AM
I love the weather icon with the live temperature. I do wish it showed the current weather and temperature though like WeatherIcon does.

zbarvian
Jun 14, 2013, 11:58 AM
So...how do we know this is a live icon? Wasn't the old weather icon 73 and sunny too?

matty.p
Jun 14, 2013, 12:00 PM
So...how do we know this is a live icon? Wasn't the old weather icon 73 and sunny too?

We don't!

I honestly didn't mind the other icons the only one that bugs me is the Safari icon.

Nalmond92
Jun 14, 2013, 12:02 PM
what if they were old icons that got replaced by what we saw in WWDC...

gadget123
Jun 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
They look the same unless I'm missing something?

matty.p
Jun 14, 2013, 12:05 PM
That's possibly true but I think it more goes to the fact that its very fluid so who knows what tweaks we'll see between beta 1 and release.

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 14, 2013, 12:26 PM
The link http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/14/apple-website-mistake-reveals-alternate-ios-7-icons-with-tweaks-to-weather-passbook-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

Night Spring
Jun 14, 2013, 12:29 PM
The link http://9to5mac.com/2013/06/14/apple-website-mistake-reveals-alternate-ios-7-icons-with-tweaks-to-weather-passbook-and-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29

Wait, why does the article think that the temperature is live? If true, that is great news...

ByteArt
Jun 14, 2013, 12:29 PM
Yea I saw that too. I'm pretty sure these icons were designed DAYS before WWDC. Also in iOS 7b1 itself some .app folders have differnent icons then the final build; and in some places iOS 6 icons are used. These icons are definitely changing, I just hope that's live weather

virginblue4
Jun 14, 2013, 12:34 PM
Literally posted less than an hour ago...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1596628

clukas
Jun 14, 2013, 12:35 PM
what would be cool if the background colours of the icon also reflect real world conditions outside.

saving107
Jun 14, 2013, 12:37 PM
They look the same unless I'm missing something?

You're missing the cloud and sun,
http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/icons.png?w=704

Michaelgtrusa
Jun 14, 2013, 12:38 PM
Wait, why does the article think that the temperature is live? If true, that is great news...

Uncertain.

saving107
Jun 14, 2013, 12:39 PM
Are you going to be copy + pasting articles from 9to5mac.com all day?

gadget123
Jun 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
You're missing the cloud and sun,
Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/icons.png?w=704)

The colours are still too pastel bright.

Prototypical
Jun 14, 2013, 12:41 PM
Uncertain.

If the clock is an active icon (and not like "iOS6 calendar active"), I can't imagine the weather icon WOULDN'T be.

Lava Lamp Freak
Jun 14, 2013, 12:43 PM
Considering this image is a fallback for the animation, it is most likely an out-of-date asset. Someone just forgot to update this image with the current icons before the page went live. If this is the case, it will probably be updated soon to match the rest of the preview.

virginblue4
Jun 14, 2013, 12:45 PM
what if they were old icons that got replaced by what we saw in WWDC...

I think this seems most likely. in one of the other threads that is supposedly beta 2, they are still the same as they are now.

BvizioN
Jun 14, 2013, 12:49 PM
If the clock is an active icon (and not like "iOS6 calendar active"), I can't imagine the weather icon WOULDN'T be.

Clock does not need to use location (GPS) to give you live information. But weather app needs to. Resulting on a battery consummation. At least this is what i think.

darngooddesign
Jun 14, 2013, 12:54 PM
Clock does not need to use location (GPS) to give you live information. But weather app needs to. Resulting on a battery consummation. At least this is what i think.

Not if they give you the option to set it to one of your favorite locations, not just the current one. They can also give you the option of how frequently you want to update the info.

MVallee
Jun 14, 2013, 01:00 PM
At least this shows that they are working on them. (Hopefully they work on the Safari icon soon :p)

People keep saying that in previous years the design hasn't changed from beta to public release, but they have never done a 100% design overhaul of the OS. With that many design changes they are bound to be working out kinks and changing things before release. Other than some of the icons, I'm loving the new design.

Che Castro
Jun 14, 2013, 01:03 PM
There are apps in the AppStore that use push alerts and give you the weather in the icon as a badge, no battery drain

matty.p
Jun 14, 2013, 02:40 PM
Not if they give you the option to set it to one of your favorite locations, not just the current one. They can also give you the option of how frequently you want to update the info.

Or if it only updated every 30 minutes or even every hour. It's not like the weather jumps so dramatically you need an update ever 5 minutes.

BvizioN
Jun 14, 2013, 02:46 PM
It's not like the weather jumps so dramatically you need an update ever 5 minutes.

You should visit England, particylary Manchester.

sdilley14
Jun 14, 2013, 02:54 PM
I think the current (iOS 7) icons look better.

I don't understand the desire for a live weather icon. I understand the drain on the battery would probably be minimal, but I would rather have zero drain on the battery and just open up the app or look outside if I want to know what's going on with the weather. Usually when I'm thinking about the weather I want to know more than the temp...I want the full day/week outlook, so opening up the app becomes necessary.

Having a live Calendar icon makes sense. I'm not sure that I can think of any others where the live update ability would outweigh the potential power drain?

Night Spring
Jun 14, 2013, 03:01 PM
I don't understand the desire for a live weather icon. I understand the drain on the battery would probably be minimal, but I would rather have zero drain on the battery and just open up the app or look outside if I want to know what's going on with the weather. Usually when I'm thinking about the weather I want to know more than the temp...I want the full day/week outlook, so opening up the app becomes necessary.

I want the current weather info available at a glance, if not on a live icon, then on the lock screen. I live in a building where the windows are not quickly accessible, so looking out the window is hard. Plus even when I manage to look, I can't always judge the temperature by the view. So live temperature would be very useful to me when deciding what to wear.

sdilley14
Jun 14, 2013, 03:24 PM
I want the current weather info available at a glance, if not on a live icon, then on the lock screen. I live in a building where the windows are not quickly accessible, so looking out the window is hard. Plus even when I manage to look, I can't always judge the temperature by the view. So live temperature would be very useful to me when deciding what to wear.

A customizeable lock screen with a weather widget (and other practical/useful widgets) would be nice. Being able to customize a lock screen seems more feasible than being able to choose between live/static icons. But when it comes to dynamic functions that are going to drain your battery, I think the users should be able to have a choice.

matty.p
Jun 14, 2013, 03:44 PM
You should visit England, particylary Manchester.

I live in the PNW of the US I have a feeling or weather is even more temperamental than Manchester and yes I've been there. The running joke of living in Ore is if you don't like the weather wait 5 minutes.

SandboxGeneral
Jun 14, 2013, 03:55 PM
Please continue discussion in our news story thread:

Alternate Icons on iOS 7 Website Likely Old Marketing Material (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17427784#post17427784)