PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks on mid 2010 macbook pro?

sam.walker22
Jun 14, 2013, 12:08 PM
Wondering if anyone has installed mavericks on a 15 inch mid 2010 macbook pro (or similar?)

Hows the performance? I'm interested in the power efficient properties of mavericks, however if it's just going to slow me down a little bit (like lion did to snow leopard) then i'll probably just stick with mountain lion which is running fine for me at the moment.

scotthayes
Jun 14, 2013, 01:12 PM
I am and to be fair it's pretty quick. Scrolling on Safari is much better than in Mountain Lion. Only issue I've had so far is that Maps will not load.

denisvj
Jun 14, 2013, 01:21 PM
I have it installed on my MB Pro 2010 .

So far runs fine but haven't tested for a long period , I have been busy but going to play with it on weekend .

ToniqR
Jun 14, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hi, I too would be really interested in hearing how it will perform on a 2010 MBP. As nice as it is to buy a shiny new retina, I want to keep mine for as long as possible :)

Lolito
Jun 14, 2013, 02:26 PM
works as good as ML if not better in my laptop from 2009 with ssd

sam.walker22
Jun 14, 2013, 02:37 PM
I'll give it a go then! Thanks guys

w0lf
Jun 14, 2013, 02:50 PM
Works like a charm for me (mid 2010 macbook pro 13 inch).

davemc67
Jun 15, 2013, 11:12 AM
I am and to be fair it's pretty quick. Scrolling on Safari is much better than in Mountain Lion. Only issue I've had so far is that Maps will not load.

I found the same maps wouldn't load, turns out the fault lies with the dynamic graphics switching

If you use gfx card status tool and set the graphics to either integrated or discreet graphics Maps loads, as soon as you switch it to dynamic graphics Maps fails to load.

Hope this helps

sam.walker22
Jun 15, 2013, 11:22 AM
Yeh maps wont load for me either

davemc67
Jun 15, 2013, 11:49 AM
Yeh maps wont load for me either

Use gfx card status app to change to either discreet or integrated graphics and maps should load

riptideMBP
Jun 16, 2013, 01:57 AM
hows battery life under "normal" usage on the 2010 (in both 10.9 and 10.8/10.7)?

sam.walker22
Jun 16, 2013, 01:44 PM
hows battery life under "normal" usage on the 2010 (in both 10.9 and 10.8/10.7)?

slightly better than 10.8 i think, definitely no worse

Wuiffi
Jun 16, 2013, 02:50 PM
Since 10.8.3 nearly every program (like twitter, little snitch etc) force the dedicated graphic chip in the 2010 mbp model (making it run hot and loud). Any improvements seen with mavericks?

buffaloseven
Jun 16, 2013, 03:31 PM
Since 10.8.3 nearly every program (like twitter, little snitch etc) force the dedicated graphic chip in the 2010 mbp model (making it run hot and loud). Any improvements seen with mavericks?

The latest update to 10.8 fixed that problem for most software on my 15" 2010 MBP.

scotthayes
Jun 19, 2013, 08:15 AM
Use gfx card status app to change to either discreet or integrated graphics and maps should load

Perfect, thanks for the solution.

OllyW
Jun 19, 2013, 08:22 AM
Perfect, thanks for the solution.

Is the detail level on the local maps exactly the same as on the iOS app?

Eithanius
Jun 19, 2013, 08:45 AM

I'm on 15" 2010 MBP. On Mavericks even Adium, Hardware Monitor, and HardwareGrowler are forcing discrete graphics...

BlueGummiBear
Jun 19, 2013, 10:47 AM
17" Mid 2010 MBP with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512MB graphics and integrated Intel graphics. Mavericks runs great on it considering its a beta release. Slight improvement in battery life but nothing drastic. Maps loads with no problems and no need to switch modes in GFX Status. Aside from bombermine.com I'm not much of a gamer so I can't comment on that.

bolen
Jun 19, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hardware installation support wise Mavericks currently supports all configurations currently supported by Mountain Lion.

Performance wise my current impression (running a 2011 MBP) is that Mavericks is noticeably more responsive and smooth compared to Mountain Lion. I'm really looking forward to the final Mavericks version!

scotthayes
Jun 23, 2013, 03:50 AM
Is the detail level on the local maps exactly the same as on the iOS app?

Seems to be. My house is in 3D on both and Birmingham looks exactly the same.

ptesone
Jul 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
running it on a Mid 2011 MPB (and iMac also Mid 2011) than runs Mavericks real well *BUT* I ran into a bug when doing quick preview on say, a folder full of pics/videos- when selecting all and viewing each file (using up and down arrow)
it starts to hang on the video files and bog the system down. . .

and on my iMac (not MBP) my iMovie faces and skin all look purple. . .

those are the only two issues I've seen w/Mavericks Developer Release #3 OS X 10.9 (13A510d) so far

The MacBook Pro battery lasts just as long as it did as Snow Leopard/Lion/ML
real happy w/the performance- can't wait for final release! :D

Eithanius
Jul 17, 2013, 11:07 PM
Had Mavericks on my 15" mid MBP for almost a month... Battery life no change, since most of my apps requires discrete graphics. There are certain simple apps like Adium still triggers discrete graphics, making energy savers sort of nothing to brag about.

Yesterday I had a major problem with one of my third party app that required me to clean install SL, and oh boy I missed the snappiness of SL. Lion, Mountain Lion, and even Mavericks do not have the system responsiveness traits of SL, not even close. I really wonder what Apple did wrong in this department.

Day One, a journaling app that I used most, launched almost instantaneously after a click on the Dock with the icon bounced just once. This is on SL. Whereas on Mavericks, sad to say it takes a 3 to 4 bounces before the interface appears. And now it has this weird bug that loses connection to DropBox whenever Day One wanted to access my journal file, and then hangs.

Bear in mind that my MBP has an SSD plonked in, SL flies, but Mavericks really behaves like SL on HDD instead.

antoniogra7
Jul 18, 2013, 04:41 PM
Had Mavericks on my 15" mid MBP for almost a month... Battery life no change, since most of my apps requires discrete graphics. There are certain simple apps like Adium still triggers discrete graphics, making energy savers sort of nothing to brag about.

Yesterday I had a major problem with one of my third party app that required me to clean install SL, and oh boy I missed the snappiness of SL. Lion, Mountain Lion, and even Mavericks do not have the system responsiveness traits of SL, not even close. I really wonder what Apple did wrong in this department.

Day One, a journaling app that I used most, launched almost instantaneously after a click on the Dock with the icon bounced just once. This is on SL. Whereas on Mavericks, sad to say it takes a 3 to 4 bounces before the interface appears. And now it has this weird bug that loses connection to DropBox whenever Day One wanted to access my journal file, and then hangs.

Bear in mind that my MBP has an SSD plonked in, SL flies, but Mavericks really behaves like SL on HDD instead.

It's Mavericks also a clean install? Based on what you said, mine is faster and it's a 13" MBP with HDD.

Eithanius
Jul 18, 2013, 10:03 PM
It's Mavericks also a clean install? Based on what you said, mine is faster and it's a 13" MBP with HDD.

Upgrade directly from Snow Leopard. Otherwise some of my apps won't install properly. Also tried clean install of Mavericks previously, seems to be more flaky with it. Mavericks with SL foundation seems more stable.

Kodiak2012
Oct 22, 2013, 08:43 PM
This is directly from Apple's website:

Mac models compatible with OS X Mavericks

- iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
- MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
- MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
- MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
- Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)
- Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
- Xserve (Early 2009)

norneDK
Oct 26, 2013, 04:53 PM
Works like a charm for me (mid 2010 macbook pro 13 inch).

I also have the 13" MBP from mid 2010, and I'm absolutely THRILLED with it again. I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and it seems like my 'stationary' laptop has been totally rejuvenated. I bought a MacBook Air 11" a little more than a year ago and the cute 'new' laptop is no longer automatically the first choice. Browsing is a lot faster - and is it me or did the battery life also improve a bit?

I'm very impressed, the only thing lacking on the MBP is AirPlay mirroring, I still have to use the MBA for that.

JeffHew
Oct 26, 2013, 06:44 PM
I have a mid 2010 17" Macbook Pro. This is actually my first post on this forum, as I was looking for some help with an issue I've encountered since installing Mavericks. Overall, my experience has been very positive, with one notable exception. That exception is a battery issue. Prior to the upgrade, and by prior I mean exactly 5 minutes prior, my battery health as indicated by the program Battery Health was showing approx 85% with a max charge of 11162mAh out of a max of 13000mAh after 3.6 years and 143 cycles. This is consistent with what I have observed for the duration of my use of OS X Lion which I installed on its' release. Subsequent to my Mavericks installation Battery Health now shows the health of my battery @ 74% and a max charge of 9614 mAh out of 13000. I'm also now seeing the "Service Battery" warning under the current charge menu bar icon. This max charge value has fluctuated over the last few days from a low of about 9000 mAh to around 10400 mAh and the "Service Battery" warning has come, gone, and come back again. I've gone through the calibration process three times though it shouldn't be necessary with the built-in battery. I'm still searching for a possible fix, as there is no way this could be a coincidental issue. I have no reason to believe this is anything but a result of the OS upgrade.
Now, with this reduced charge level, I went through the calibration routine again last night. It took 5hr 04min from 100% to 1% when it went to sleep, under what is normal unplugged use for me. Brightness at about 60%, Internet browsing with Safari, some email, reading a book and such. A little music and some video from Itunes. If I extrapolate that out to what my battery charge had been, I believe this is a slight improvement in battery life. At 85% under Lion I was seeing between 6 and 7 hours. Of course use varies from session to session so this is mostly educated conjecture.
All this said, there are some real improvements. My system boots faster, Safari is greatly improved, HD movies with ITunes consumes a lot less power it seems. Streaming with Netflix and its' Silverlight program is still very power hungry, however.
As I said at the beginning of this now long post, the overall experience has been positive. I would like to find a solution to my battery issue. I know that a similar problem occurred with the release of Snow Leopard where many folks saw the same issues that I am experiencing now. So now, I'm wondering what my next step should be. I've thought about reinstalling Mavericks to see if this rectifies the problem, but I'm afraid of making matters worse as well. My other options are to revert back to Lion, though I really don't want to do that; the last option being to wait for 10.9.1 in a few weeks. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Jeff

matthewscott661
Oct 26, 2013, 07:09 PM
I have a mid 2010 17" Macbook Pro. This is actually my first post on this forum, as I was looking for some help with an issue I've encountered since installing Mavericks. Overall, my experience has been very positive, with one notable exception. That exception is a battery issue. Prior to the upgrade, and by prior I mean exactly 5 minutes prior, my battery health as indicated by the program Battery Health was showing approx 85% with a max charge of 11162mAh out of a max of 13000mAh after 3.6 years and 143 cycles. This is consistent with what I have observed for the duration of my use of OS X Lion which I installed on its' release. Subsequent to my Mavericks installation Battery Health now shows the health of my battery @ 74% and a max charge of 9614 mAh out of 13000. I'm also now seeing the "Service Battery" warning under the current charge menu bar icon. This max charge value has fluctuated over the last few days from a low of about 9000 mAh to around 10400 mAh and the "Service Battery" warning has come, gone, and come back again. I've gone through the calibration process three times though it shouldn't be necessary with the built-in battery. I'm still searching for a possible fix, as there is no way this could be a coincidental issue. I have no reason to believe this is anything but a result of the OS upgrade.
Now, with this reduced charge level, I went through the calibration routine again last night. It took 5hr 04min from 100% to 1% when it went to sleep, under what is normal unplugged use for me. Brightness at about 60%, Internet browsing with Safari, some email, reading a book and such. A little music and some video from Itunes. If I extrapolate that out to what my battery charge had been, I believe this is a slight improvement in battery life. At 85% under Lion I was seeing between 6 and 7 hours. Of course use varies from session to session so this is mostly educated conjecture.
All this said, there are some real improvements. My system boots faster, Safari is greatly improved, HD movies with ITunes consumes a lot less power it seems. Streaming with Netflix and its' Silverlight program is still very power hungry, however.
As I said at the beginning of this now long post, the overall experience has been positive. I would like to find a solution to my battery issue. I know that a similar problem occurred with the release of Snow Leopard where many folks saw the same issues that I am experiencing now. So now, I'm wondering what my next step should be. I've thought about reinstalling Mavericks to see if this rectifies the problem, but I'm afraid of making matters worse as well. My other options are to revert back to Lion, though I really don't want to do that; the last option being to wait for 10.9.1 in a few weeks. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Jeff

it's nearly impossible that installing new software affected your battery health in any way. my guess is that the standards by which mavericks judges the battery health changed from those in mtn lion and before.

you can trying resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

JeffHew
Oct 26, 2013, 07:34 PM
it's nearly impossible that installing new software affected your battery health in any way. my guess is that the standards by which mavericks judges the battery health changed from those in mtn lion and before.

you can trying resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Thanks Matthew. Yes, I agree completely. It wasn't my contention that the health of my battery has changed, but rather how it was being judged by the OS. My concern is that it is not recognizing the full potential of the battery and so, as a result, I'm not getting the full charge that I had been. I've done a couple of SMC resets and that hasn't really done anything to improve the situation. I haven't tried a PRAM reset as I don't know that it would do anything for this issue. Am I mistaken in that belief?
Thanks again!!

matthewscott661
Oct 26, 2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks Matthew. Yes, I agree completely. It wasn't my contention that the health of my battery has changed, but rather how it was being judged by the OS. My concern is that it is not recognizing the full potential of the battery and so, as a result, I'm not getting the full charge that I had been. I've done a couple of SMC resets and that hasn't really done anything to improve the situation. I haven't tried a PRAM reset as I don't know that it would do anything for this issue. Am I mistaken in that belief?
Thanks again!!

it might, you never know, especially since you aren't really sure what/where the error is.

but i don't think there's really an issue here at all. sounds like your battery still functions well and gives you a decent charge. i used my old MBP for something like 2 years with the battery status saying i needed to replace it immediately. it still lasted me a good hour or so and i never used it unplugged for very long so i didn't mind. i think as long as you're still getting good use out of it and the battery isn't going to explode or anything, you don't have to worry. the capacity will fluctuate on older batteries, that alone isn't anything to worry about.

JeffHew
Oct 26, 2013, 08:49 PM
it might, you never know, especially since you aren't really sure what/where the error is.

but i don't think there's really an issue here at all. sounds like your battery still functions well and gives you a decent charge. i used my old MBP for something like 2 years with the battery status saying i needed to replace it immediately. it still lasted me a good hour or so and i never used it unplugged for very long so i didn't mind. i think as long as you're still getting good use out of it and the battery isn't going to explode or anything, you don't have to worry. the capacity will fluctuate on older batteries, that alone isn't anything to worry about.

Lol. What's funny is the logical side of my brain says that you're absolutely right. Why worry about the loss of an hour or so, but there's still that bone in my head that doesn't let me get past the idea that I lost something I had yesterday. Five hours between charges is good, especially when compared to a Windows based laptop, but on the 23rd I had six to seven hours between charges, which can make all the difference on a long day of flying.
You have helped me though, as I'm going to avoid anything drastic and just see if the issue is resolved down the road with an update. I know there are a few threads of folks on other platforms dealing with similar issues so, as much as it pains me, I'll take the "wait and see" approach. Not my forte. :D
Cheers.

NOTORIOUS187
Oct 27, 2013, 10:21 PM
Upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks on my 2010 15" MBP. Battery life seems a lot worse. Anyone else having a similar experience?

RenoG
Oct 28, 2013, 12:02 AM
I just gave up downloading it on my mountain lion 2010 MacBook Pro. It was taking way to long to download, like days. Every time I came in to check on it it would read 2-3hours to go after two days of that I said forget it.

MacInTheCrack
Oct 28, 2013, 12:06 AM
Loaded on my 2010 MBP last week. Pretty flawless install. Had to install Java 6 Runtimes for CS5 but other than that it ran like a champ right after it booted back up from the install. I've had 5 flawless installs so far. I've been lucky.

jumpmanpro97
Oct 28, 2013, 12:31 AM
I was running snow leopard since I was too cheap to buy lion/mountain lion. So far the transition has been flawless. Running on a 2010 MBP

geralddarden
Oct 28, 2013, 01:33 PM
I wiped my 10.8.5 install and loaded Mavericks from scratch. Specs are:

MacBookPro 6,2
120GB OCZ Vertex 2
8GB RAM
2.66 GHZ i7
High-Res Anti-Glare Screen

So far I have been happy with the performance. I do noticed some slowdowns when using Safari (safari web content chews up CPU), Office 2011 or Chrome. Other than that it has been pretty stable.

RenoG
Oct 28, 2013, 04:30 PM
How are you guys installing, simply by hitting install on the app? Are you doing clean installs or simply updating? I'm trying to figure why when I hit install on the app I get 2-3 hour download times.:mad:

koja
Dec 13, 2013, 09:50 AM
Guys, its getting confusing to me

In a scale of 1-10 , do u guys recommend the Upgrade for those using C2D with 4 GB of Ram ??

Please help

madrich
Dec 13, 2013, 03:14 PM

In a scale of 1-10 , do u guys recommend the Upgrade for those using C2D with 4 GB of Ram ??

Please help

Personally, I would wait for the update.

ralphdaily
Dec 15, 2013, 08:26 PM

Please help

Mavericks is working great on my 15" mid-2010 MBP but I only recently sorted out some iCloud integration issues caused by Mavericks. I recommend waiting on the update particularly since the update is imminent.

CarreraGuy
Dec 15, 2013, 08:57 PM
See my sig :)

I noticed a little slow down on startup: after login it takes longer to "settle down" so to speak. After 2-3 minutes it's rockin' and rollin faster than Snow Leopard.

benji888
Dec 16, 2013, 02:29 PM

Please help
10 :D ...MacBook Pro 13 base 2.4 C2D 4GB here, Mavericks is better than Lion & Mountain Lion. The way Mavericks handles memory is a big plus for these machines. However:

WAIT for 10.9.1 update...should be out this week.

After installing, it takes some time to do some indexing and such, sluggish, let it do it's thing, after this it is quick.

benji888
Dec 16, 2013, 03:34 PM
10.9.1 is up!! So, go for it!! :D