PDA

View Full Version : Faster Video Encoding in Mavericks?

Dalton63841
Jun 14, 2013, 02:02 PM
I am curious if anyone else has noticed this? I am using a 13" mid-2009 Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz CPU with 8GB ram. On Lion and Mountain Lion, a 25 minute episode would take about 12-13 minutes to encode to h.264 mp4 with Handbrake. On Mavericks, it is only taking about 7.5 to 8 minutes for the same files. I have tested the encoded file to make sure they are encoding correctly and they are perfect.

On that note I guess it's obvious that I am pretty happy with the new OS so far.

ivnj
Jun 14, 2013, 02:15 PM
nice

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 14, 2013, 02:36 PM
Faster Video Encoding in Mavericks?
HandBrake runs slower, if you have a lot of software which runs in the background. So this is probably just the result of a fresh installation.

Dalton63841
Jun 14, 2013, 02:46 PM
HandBrake runs slower, if you have a lot of software which runs in the background. So this is probably just the result of a fresh installation.

Everything is identical. I keep 3rd party apps in a folder in my Users folder, and my Users folder is on it's own partition. That way even after a clean install, a simple fstab edit puts me right back where I left off before the clean install.

Handbrake took those times I mentioned even when Lion and Mountain Lion were fresh installs. (I've switched between the 3 a few times in the last couple weeks, tinkering with stuff)

Bauss
Oct 7, 2013, 11:18 AM
Not to bring this back to life, but I've also seen MUCH faster video encodes in Handbrake under Mavericks.

A 20min TV show encode used to run at 300-400fps with my rMBP before, now they run at 900-1000fps.... At first, I was skeptical, so I changed up some settings... Same thing. Consistently higher scores... twice as high, mostly. I was so shocked that I had to google it too see if anyone else was witnessing the same thing!

I'm not sure what Mavericks does, but I'm not complaining with the results.

jhwalker
Oct 7, 2013, 11:50 AM
Not to bring this back to life, but I've also seen MUCH faster video encodes in Handbrake under Mavericks.

A 20min TV show encode used to run at 300-400fps with my rMBP before, now they run at 900-1000fps.... At first, I was skeptical, so I changed up some settings... Same thing. Consistently higher scores... twice as high, mostly. I was so shocked that I had to google it too see if anyone else was witnessing the same thing!

I'm not sure what Mavericks does, but I'm not complaining with the results.

I've noted much faster performance sometimes, but it's inconsistent, and I don't know why :/

For example, I transcoded a 20Gb, 4-hour opera recording in HD I downloaded from my TiVo overnight - took 10 hours :(

But I just started another transcode for another 4-hour opera recording, also in HD, downloaded from the same TiVo, and according to the progress meter, it's going to take just under 2 hours, which is consistent with some other conversions I did last week.

Will be interested to see feedback on this - surely, someone knows what is going on?