Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
After helping a guy in another thread, I figured I should finally take the plunge and get OS X back onto my PB G4. I lent my Leopard disk to a friend in the States and will probably not be seeing it back any time soon, thankfully I made a backup of the disk (using dd before I sent it. I don't have any dual-layer DVDs lying around and would prefer to use a USB drive instead, but am having problems getting a bootable drive.

I tried a straight up dd, but it won't boot, I guess because it was taken from a DVD. Is there anything else I need to consider now that I'm not working with the traditional DOS MBR? This method works fine with all Linux images. The ISO format is ISO 9660.

tl;dr How to get Leopard ISO onto USB drive. Have Linux and Windows machines available.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
After helping a guy in another thread, I figured I should finally take the plunge and get OS X back onto my PB G4. I lent my Leopard disk to a friend in the States and will probably not be seeing it back any time soon, thankfully I made a backup of the disk (using dd before I sent it. I don't have any dual-layer DVDs lying around and would prefer to use a USB drive instead, but am having problems getting a bootable drive.

I tried a straight up dd, but it won't boot, I guess because it was taken from a DVD. Is there anything else I need to consider now that I'm not working with the traditional DOS MBR? This method works fine with all Linux images. The ISO format is ISO 9660.

tl;dr How to get Leopard ISO onto USB drive. Have Linux and Windows machines available.
If you made the backup on a windows or Linux machine, you're screwed buddy. Sorry.

OS X installers have all sorts of trickery to hide stuff on those OSes. Your best bet? Hit the Internet looking for a copy.

If you're going to pirate it, I don't want to hear about it. But it's an option. I'm going to stop talking now before I get into trouble.

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions. Well I've got some disks on order, so if all else fails I'll just burn it and use the optical drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.