PDA

View Full Version : AT&T to Send Emergency Alerts to U.S. iPhone 4S/5 Owners [Update: iPhone 4 Users Also Included]

MacRumors
Jun 14, 2013, 07:26 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/14/att-to-send-emergency-alerts-to-u-s-iphone-4s5-owners/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2013/06/emergencyalerts.jpgAT&T has announced (http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7790136) that it is pushing out a software update to bring Wireless Emergency Alerts (http://www.ctia.org/consumer_info/safety/index.cfm/AID/12082) to its U.S. customers that use an iPhone 4S or an iPhone 5. Wireless Emergency Alerts are part of a public safety system that is designed to send out geographically-targeted messages to alert people about "imminent threats to safety."

The messages are government issued and will include AMBER alerts for notifying users about missing children, emergency alerts that offer weather notifications and public safety warnings, and Presidential alerts, which are messages that are sent directly from the President.Wireless Emergency Alerts are part of the FCC's CMAS program and are mandated by law. You may turn off alerts (except for Presidential alerts) if you choose. Go to Settings >Notifications>Turn On/Off.

When the software update is delivered to your phone, you will see a message that states "Carrier Settings Update: new settings required for your device have been installed". After that, your iPhone 5 or 4S will receive all Wireless Emergency Alerts by default.AT&T notes that messages sent through the Wireless Emergency Alerts system will not count against its subscriber' messaging plans. Both AMBER alerts and Emergency alerts can be turned off, but Presidential alerts are mandatory.

iPhone 4S and 5 users operating iOS 6.1 or later have already begun receiving the update over the air, while those using an older version of iOS will need to download the update through iTunes.

Update: As noted by several tipsters, the alerts will be available for iPhone 4 users as well.

Article Link: AT&T to Send Emergency Alerts to U.S. iPhone 4S/5 Owners [Update: iPhone 4 Users Also Included] (http://www.macrumors.com/2013/06/14/att-to-send-emergency-alerts-to-u-s-iphone-4s5-owners/)

robanga
Jun 14, 2013, 07:27 PM
The Feds are already recording and watching us through the camera anyways, send away.

:)

portishead
Jun 14, 2013, 07:33 PM
The Feds are already recording and watching us through the camera anyways, send away.

They're probably not watching you. You're just not that interesting.

Aldaris
Jun 14, 2013, 07:35 PM
I hunk you should be able to turn them all off. Regardless of if they are watching us anyways. Lol

Already have to buy insurance (or will in a few months) now he can mass message us on our 'cough' private personal phones. That's bull.

JoEw
Jun 14, 2013, 07:35 PM

Yeah didn't you see that snippet of code in the IOS software that sends video camera feeds to government servers?

I thought that would be big news :p ;)

Aldaris
Jun 14, 2013, 07:36 PM

Unless its that time off your daily routine :D

----------

Yeah didn't you see that snippet of code in the IOS software that sends video camera feeds to government servers?

I thought the actual code would be published by now.

Ungibbed
Jun 14, 2013, 07:40 PM
I noticed this enabled on my T-Mobile iPhone 5. I had thought it was already with other carriers.

thelatinist
Jun 14, 2013, 07:42 PM
now he can mass message us on our 'cough' private personal phones. That's bull.

Presidential alerts are designed for nationwide emergencies like nuclear war. None has ever been issued in the 17-year history of the program, nor was any issued through its predecessor the Emergency Broadcast System. I think your private phone is safe from Presidential Spam.

ETA: just received the update.

Fortygig
Jun 14, 2013, 07:43 PM
As I was readying this, I got the update. I have an IPhone 4s. Crazy!!

pnoyblazed
Jun 14, 2013, 07:45 PM
Just got the update too when I plugged in my iPhone 5 to my iMac

iPhone89
Jun 14, 2013, 07:46 PM
How do you know you're getting the update? iPhone 5 here and haven't gotten it yet. I'm in Connecticut.

EDIT: Plugging my iPhone 5 into my computer worked, got notified of the update, downloaded and installed it through iTunes.

hoodedwarbler12
Jun 14, 2013, 07:46 PM
They should do tornado warnings too.

robanga
Jun 14, 2013, 07:50 PM

Oh you might be surprised, but then again maybe not ...

TMar
Jun 14, 2013, 07:51 PM

emergency alerts that offer weather notifications and public safety warnings

hmmm...

iFarmer
Jun 14, 2013, 07:53 PM
Got this on my iPhone 4 earlier today running 6.1.3. Oddly enough, personal hotspot is also now enabled without ever having paid for it.

zorinlynx
Jun 14, 2013, 07:53 PM
It's about time.

This is useful for storm warnings, as not everyone listens to radio and TV all the time anymore.

tommyminahan
Jun 14, 2013, 07:58 PM
Got this on my iPhone 4 earlier today running 6.1.3. Oddly enough, personal hotspot is also now enabled without ever having paid for it.

Did you upgrade to family share?

That is a part of the ATT familyshare data sharing, I didn't know, I thought it was extra too.

portishead
Jun 14, 2013, 07:58 PM
Oh you might be surprised, but then again maybe not ...

heh. tell me more... wait, maybe not.

iFarmer
Jun 14, 2013, 07:59 PM
Did you upgrade to family share?

That is a part of the ATT familyshare data sharing, I didn't know, I thought it was extra too.

Not that I'm aware of. Haven't changed our plan in over 2 years. (And I remember it being greyed out last week)

pooleman
Jun 14, 2013, 08:07 PM
Hopefully a Cydia tweak will come out to remove/block this.

----------

Not that I'm aware of. Haven't changed our plan in over 2 years. (And I remember it being greyed out last week)

Maybe the new family share access is how Big Brother is keeping his tabs on you.

rorschach
Jun 14, 2013, 08:09 PM
Already have to buy insurance (or will in a few months) now he can mass message us on our 'cough' private personal phones. That's bull.

Read up on some history. These emergency alert systems have been around since the 50s. The president has had the power for decades to issue an "Emergency Action Notification" and override all television broadcasts to address the country. That's far more expansive power than a text message. :rolleyes:

abeg
Jun 14, 2013, 08:10 PM

Just turn it off:cool:

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 14, 2013, 08:16 PM
Read up on some history. These emergency alert systems have been around since the 50s. The president has had the power for decades to issue an "Emergency Action Notification" and override all television broadcasts to address the country. That's far more expansive power than a text message. :rolleyes:

I consider turning off the TV or radio a lot easier than turning off my phone (I realize they require roughly the same amount of effort, but I'm giving up a lot more by turning off my iPhone than my TV.)

----------

Presidential alerts are designed for nationwide emergencies like nuclear war. None has ever been issued in the 17-year history of the program, nor was any issued through its predecessor the Emergency Broadcast System. I think your private phone is safe from Presidential Spam.

ETA: just received the update.

Weird, I've never heard of this program, I guess because its never been used. Good to know it exists, and I'm glad it's never been needed or used - let's all make sure it never is needed or used.

(It seems to me 9/11 would have been a good time to have used this system... I realize it ended up not being an all out attack on the US, but I remember in the first hours following the second plane strike that I was expecting dozens more attacks nationwide.)

robanga
Jun 14, 2013, 08:17 PM

Assuming people are still watching TV. Do they have a way to interrupt Netflix? i bet you not.

NYU
Jun 14, 2013, 08:25 PM
I'm running iOS 7 on my 4S, can anyone confirm the new AT&T carrier update is version 14.5 in Settings - About ?

The Government Alerts are enabled for me, just want to make sure it's not an iOS 7 bug.

Thanks!

pooleman
Jun 14, 2013, 08:39 PM
Just turn it off:cool:

You can't turn them ALL off.

Parasprite
Jun 14, 2013, 08:40 PM
I've gotten local AMBER alerts on my phone before while I was at work, it was weird hearing random phones in the store all making the same noise, if a bit confusing.

That's when I learned that lottery machines show them at the same time.

JonathonW
Jun 14, 2013, 08:41 PM
(It seems to me 9/11 would have been a good time to have used this system... I realize it ended up not being an all out attack on the US, but I remember in the first hours following the second plane strike that I was expecting dozens more attacks nationwide.)

EAS wasn't activated on 9/11 because the capabilities of the system (essentially, a blank screen accompanied by a voice message) were inferior to that which was already being broadcast by the mainstream media. Why would you preempt full-color video to provide, essentially, even less information via EAS?

See http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/21/nyregion/silence-alert-system-experts-urge-overhaul-plan-unused-even-sept-11.html?scp=1&sq=Emergency%20Alert%20System&st=cse

ctdonath
Jun 14, 2013, 08:42 PM

Oh, they're recording everything just in case you become interesting.

Aldaris
Jun 14, 2013, 08:45 PM

... I agree on 'public' communication systems, like tv radio etc. The president doesn't need to be buzzing in my pants. But seeing your avatar anything I say about your dear leader will cause a roll eyes comment.

hoodedwarbler12
Jun 14, 2013, 08:52 PM
hmmm...

Oh. Facepalm.

MichaelJohnston
Jun 14, 2013, 08:55 PM
I wonder how reliable this is for things like tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes. It's tornado season in my area and I'd love to not have to pay attention to TV to make sure I'm safe.

For what it's worth, Weather Underground's app DID go off the other day just as the real sirens went off around town. I was pleased to see that works. Now I wonder if it'd go off while in silent mode.

bozzykid
Jun 14, 2013, 08:58 PM
I noticed this enabled on my T-Mobile iPhone 5. I had thought it was already with other carriers.

It is on most and on most phones being sold recently. AT&T already had support on several Android phones. They are just enabling it for iPhone users now (most likely because they are required too).

----------

Storm warnings are the only alerts I have ever seen on my phone. And the warnings are very localized since they can send them to specific towers.

jjlannoo
Jun 14, 2013, 09:02 PM

Yup I did too. very scary day.

TMar
Jun 14, 2013, 09:04 PM
I'm running iOS 7 on my 4S, can anyone confirm the new AT&T carrier update is version 14.5 in Settings - About ?

The Government Alerts are enabled for me, just want to make sure it's not an iOS 7 bug.

Thanks!

Went from 14.0 to 14.1 when it updated on a 4s.

zmonster
Jun 14, 2013, 09:08 PM
Presidential alerts are designed for nationwide emergencies like nuclear war. None has ever been issued in the 17-year history of the program, nor was any issued through its predecessor the Emergency Broadcast System.

I'm really glad they send the alert for nuclear war. That will give us plenty of time to find some place to hide, under a sturdy tree (as long as there are no thunderstorms in the area).

Second, this is the dumbest idea I've ever heard of, and it makes me think twice that the "conspiracies" are really true. Why would people need to get an emergency message from the President on their phone?? This has obviously been in the works by AT&T for some time (it takes development resources to do this). Everyone is within 5 seconds of the Internet, so why do we need a DIRECT alert from the Emergency System?! I do not want to install this update on my phone especially considering the NSA bs going on. Apple needs to allow people a way to upgrade without this "feature" installing.

----------

Yup I did too. very scary day.

Oh yeah, definitely would have helped to get the message directly on my phone. I don't have a TV, or Internet, or text message access, so it would have been imperative to have the emergency broadcast system tied into my phone on 9/11.

iGrip
Jun 14, 2013, 09:17 PM

Look carefully at your next bill.

Dionte
Jun 14, 2013, 09:36 PM
I recovered the update a couple hours ago, it was automatically enabled. No question.

millerhifi
Jun 14, 2013, 09:51 PM
Mine just updated OTA. No iTunes needed... :-)

TMar
Jun 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
Mine just updated OTA. No iTunes needed... :-)

It's a carrier file not a system update so yeah no need since iOS 4...

gyrogeerloose
Jun 14, 2013, 09:59 PM
The update is not limited to only the iPhone 4S or 5. I got it today on my iPhone 4.

danahn17
Jun 14, 2013, 10:00 PM
Everyone is within 5 seconds of the Internet, so why do we need a DIRECT alert from the Emergency System?! I do not want to install this update on my phone especially considering the NSA bs going on. Apple needs to allow people a way to upgrade without this "feature" installing.

Oh yeah, definitely would have helped to get the message directly on my phone. I don't have a TV, or Internet, or text message access, so it would have been imperative to have the emergency broadcast system tied into my phone on 9/11.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see what the big deal is? If you don't like it, turn it off. If you think the feds are going to use your iPhone's emergency alert system to snoop on you... I'm not sure how that works... aren't they just pushing messages to you depending on your location... which I'm sure the feds already know through my email/internet activity/phone/credit cards/whatever-they-use. (btw...hi Fed people watching me :p)

And it's a little short-sighted to suggest that because we have TV/phone/internet/etc that this is unnecessary. Actually just yesterday, I was just in the library, got an alert that there was a tornado watch in the area (I have one of the aforementioned new Android phones that do it). I don't check the weather that frequently at all and honestly the storm came out of nowhere on a perfectly clear sky sort of day... so I would have been unaware had the message not been sent to me.

Aldaris
Jun 14, 2013, 10:07 PM
The issue that I have is that you can't opt out of all of them (presidential being the one you can't).

It has nothing to do with who is in office or what party is in power, but the notification not being able to turn off if you so desire.

heyitsfez
Jun 14, 2013, 10:12 PM
I am on AT&T Gophone, and I can confirm I just got the update, so I believe this also applies to AT&T's MNVOs

designgeek
Jun 14, 2013, 10:14 PM
So that's what the update was about today.

KamiQuazi
Jun 14, 2013, 10:23 PM
Its on ios 7

Verbatim Cookie
Jun 14, 2013, 10:36 PM
AT&T has announced (http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7790136) that it is pushing out a software update to bring Wireless Emergency Alerts (http://www.ctia.org/consumer_info/safety/index.cfm/AID/12082) to its U.S. customers

Does ATT provide service in nations other than the U.S.?

The issue that I have is that you can't opt out of all of them (presidential being the one you can't).

It has nothing to do with who is in office or what party is in power, but the notification not being able to turn off if you so desire.

From what others have posted, it seems to me that if and when POTUS uses this capability, you will quickly have far, far weightier things on your mind than POTUS barging into your bubble via your smartphone. On the other hand, if you believe that in an apocalyptic situation ignorance is bliss and you'd like to die without knowing what hit you, I sympathize.

I recovered the update a couple hours ago, it was automatically enabled. No question.

I can see from the article that the installation process doesn't include a prompt that asks you whether or not you want them enabled. You have to go into settings after the installation is finished.

Sappharad
Jun 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
The Weather Underground app has done that for free via push notifications for over a year now. They let you pick which types of weather notifications (thunderstorm, tornado, flood, etc.) you want.

It's been really useful to me, as I don't usually listen to the radio or watch live TV.

adder7712
Jun 14, 2013, 11:03 PM
So iPhone 4 users are not worth saving. :confused:

TsMkLg068426
Jun 14, 2013, 11:12 PM
I got a iPhone 5 my mom and sister got this update on their iPhone 5 strange and I still did not get it.

bozzykid
Jun 14, 2013, 11:26 PM
The Weather Underground app has done that for free via push notifications for over a year now. They let you pick which types of weather notifications (thunderstorm, tornado, flood, etc.) you want.

It's been really useful to me, as I don't usually listen to the radio or watch live TV.
But with this system they can send warnings to everyone in a very specific location immediately. It doesn't require gps or a data connection so it is much more effective.

And for people saying they can just see it on TV, that is just odd. Many people that this affects are not at home and if they are they may not have cable or watch live TV. This is a much more effective system.

Nicky G
Jun 14, 2013, 11:28 PM
I hope General Zod doesn't use this to spam me with crap about turning in Superman.

danahn17
Jun 14, 2013, 11:55 PM

For all intents and purposes, the presidential alerts is practically turned off. The presidential alert via EAS (or its predecessors) has never been used before. That includes events like Kennedy's assassination and 9/11... If the alert wasn't used for those events, think about just how major the precipitating event has to be.

Source: EAS on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System).

ncsmith4
Jun 14, 2013, 11:56 PM
After I got the Carrier Update, my iPhone 5 has been "Searching..." for the past hour. Anyone else???

a0me
Jun 15, 2013, 12:33 AM
It's odd that they don't have them yet. Japanese iPhones have had a "Quake Alerts" notifications for a couple of years now.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/21/ios-5-includes-early-earthquake-warning-notifications-for-japanese-iphone-users/

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/quakewarning.png

QCassidy352
Jun 15, 2013, 12:37 AM
Ugh, no thanks. Don't want it, don't need it.

sik08amg
Jun 15, 2013, 12:43 AM
We had that tropical storm last week here in Florida and I received an emergency alert around 4am for a tornado warning, only problem was that I had do not disturb on so it didn't actually alert me. Good idea but I don't think it should be muted by DND.

NYU
Jun 15, 2013, 12:53 AM
Went from 14.0 to 14.1 when it updated on a 4s.

Awesome, thanks!

Dopeyman
Jun 15, 2013, 12:58 AM
Running 6.1.4 on my 5/blk/16 and it turned from 14.0 to 14.1....

I also just noticed that I'm able to use FaceTime without wifi!!! :)

And I'm on a grandfathered unlimited plan!!!

HDMe
Jun 15, 2013, 02:16 AM
I was just reading this thread... and I looked at my iPhone 4 and saw no new settings. I went to see what version my carrier software was at, and as soon as I did that, I got the "stuff has happened" popup... then when I went back to Notifications I saw the new settings.

I might have a problem with this depending on how it is implemented, and it isn't what most here have been talking about.

Way way back when I first got my iPhone, I kept getting text messages from people I didn't know. Basically, people kept texting the wrong number. Initially I thought it didn't count unless I read them, so I always deleted them without opening since I knew they were not for me.

However, the first bill I got fixed that assumption! I learned that you get charged whether you read the text message or not... Now, I never used the text messenging and people who know me know that I don't... so I called AT&T and asked them if they could stop charging me for texts that I didn't read.

AT&T said they couldn't do that... and since I didn't want to call them up every month to deal with it... I opted out of text messenging.

Now... IF the government sends a text message, I hope that doesn't mean AT&T will enable that feature on my phone and I'll start getting charged for other non-government texts... That would be a big problem for me if that happened again.

Anyone know more about how the actual alerts will be sent? I don't care if the government sends me alerts because those will be free messages... I do care if enabling that causes me to get other non-free ones again.

GollumBoy
Jun 15, 2013, 02:52 AM
However, the first bill I got fixed that assumption! I learned that you get charged whether you read the text message or not... Now, I never used the text messenging and people who know me know that I don't... so I called AT&T and asked them if they could stop charging me for texts that I didn't read

AT&T charge you for receiving texts? That is ridiculous. So you get charged for sending and also receiving one?

Btw from what I gather from the article this is push notifications not texts - so no charges.

infinitech
Jun 15, 2013, 02:54 AM
I hope General Zod doesn't use this to spam me with crap about turning in Superman.

Ha. Spoiler alert next time?

Saw it tonight at a screening in downtown Los Angeles with some video peeps. Loved it. Just wanted to recast Amy Adams.

SprSynJn
Jun 15, 2013, 03:05 AM
It's odd that they don't have them yet. Japanese iPhones have had a "Quake Alerts" notifications for a couple of years now.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/08/21/ios-5-includes-early-earthquake-warning-notifications-for-japanese-iphone-users/

Image (http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/quakewarning.png)

Standard Japanese phones have had that feature longer too. Thought American phones had it by now.

mw360
Jun 15, 2013, 04:34 AM
I can't imagine what's going through the head of someone who turns off amber alerts.

Can anyone explain why you would do it?

thelatinist
Jun 15, 2013, 04:44 AM
... I agree on 'public' communication systems, like tv radio etc. The president doesn't need to be buzzing in my pants.

Your cell phone uses the same publicly-licensed radio spectrum as radio and TV. Listen, this isn't about the President being able to force his opinions on you...this is about creating a reliable way for the government to distribute emergency information in the most dire of circumstances. I can't think of a less objectionable function for government.

This has obviously been in the works by AT&T for some time (it takes development resources to do this).

This is not some plot by AT&T. It's an expansion of the EAS enacted by Congress and already implemented by every other carrier. AT&T is just late finishing the upgrades to their network required for this.

DarkLighter1985
Jun 15, 2013, 06:00 AM
I can't imagine what's going through the head of someone who turns off amber alerts.

Because I don't want to be bothered by a message every single time a child I don't know goes missing?

chevy57
Jun 15, 2013, 06:12 AM

Really! I don't know about updated firmware for FT. But I have jailbroken iPhone to use FT over cellular which have grandfathered plan. I will wait to get updated iOS 7 and try to get FT over cellular, hopefully.

rdinterman
Jun 15, 2013, 06:18 AM
Literally received the update and received an alert about a Flash Flood Warning the same day. Different alert tone, scare the heck out of me. :)

Mattjeff
Jun 15, 2013, 06:33 AM

So that's why my battery drains so fast!! :rolleyes:

----------

Literally received the update and received an alert about a Flash Flood Warning the same day. Different alert tone, scare the heck out of me. :)

My wife's phone does it and every time we get a tropical storm or tornado in NC it freaks us out at 2AM.

Jcsmith16456
Jun 15, 2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks!

This is a new feature in IOS 7 that they decided to let be available for everyone now.

----------

AT&T about two weeks ago made FaceTime over wifi available to all customers.

winston1236
Jun 15, 2013, 07:10 AM
AT&T charge you for receiving texts? That is ridiculous. So you get charged for sending and also receiving one?

Btw from what I gather from the article this is push notifications not texts - so no charges.

Att has always charged that way.

PinkyMacGodess
Jun 15, 2013, 07:14 AM
What about 'Silver Alerts'? Silver alerts are alerts about 'lost' senior citizens...

sexiewasd
Jun 15, 2013, 07:45 AM
I feel like this would still be usefull for the wifi only ios devices as well.

nt5672
Jun 15, 2013, 07:47 AM

Sure, at least for NWS alert system it's because they happen at 2 am when I am home, asleep, and am in no position to respond or use the alert. It's dumb and stupid to use the weather alert system to give false weather alarms (no matter how important you think the subject is). Note this is not the At&t notification I am talking about, it is the wrecking of the NWS alert system. The result, I tossed my weather radio because there was no way to turn off the Amber alerts. You tell me what good that does? Now if you live in Timbuktu you may never get an Amber alert so it is no big deal, but I lived in Chicago and they happened at least once per month and more during the summer (at least when I lived there, which was when it was first turned on).

Now if I were driving and an Amber alert came on the radio, then great, I might be in a position to help and I am already awake. If I worked in a convenience store or gas station, then great, I might be in a position to help. But I don't need or want Amber alerts when I am sleeping - Period. It won't help the child or their family and it is a pain for me.

tremlock
Jun 15, 2013, 08:36 AM

They do

----------

I've had this on my Sprint iPhone 5 since day 1.

TiBook550
Jun 15, 2013, 08:52 AM
Better late than never, AT&T.

I've had this on my Verizon 4S for several months now.

I agree the AMBER alerts can be a pain sometimes, especially when they go off when you're not in a position to help. For now I deal with the minor inconvenience, since the benefits far outweigh the cons.

k1121j
Jun 15, 2013, 09:17 AM
i was wondering when this woud happen seeing how lots people dont even listen to the radio or TV anymore

ThisIsNotMe
Jun 15, 2013, 09:40 AM
As long as I can opt out I don't have any problem with this.
Still waiting for cable companies to let me opt out of their service.
(I mean really, I am on my couch and you are telling me about a car involved in an amber alert? LOL. FAIL)

testcard
Jun 15, 2013, 09:44 AM
Anyone care to explain what a Presidential alert might contain? We don't have a President where I live :)

danahn17
Jun 15, 2013, 09:54 AM
Because I don't want to be bothered by a message every single time a child I don't know goes missing?

I'm sure the parents of the missing child didn't want to be bothered by a kidnapping either. Even if there's a 0.01% chance that you will spot the culprit or what not, is that not enough to at least get a little message on your phone to keep your eyes open and potentially help save a life?

Hastings101
Jun 15, 2013, 10:18 AM
Glad I don't have an iPhone, I don't want that communist Obama sending me text messages about the Democrats campaigns. Blah blah Reagan blah blah.

I'd imagine if there's an impending emergency big enough to require a Presidential Alert we'll be all glad to know about it

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 10:35 AM
The argument that the 'presidential alert' hasn't been used before and if it is used in the future it must be something HUGE!

Is ridiculous the Kennedy assassination was huge, 9/11 was huge and as it was happening many of us were watching it and somewhat aware almost instantly. George W. was alerted via a whisper in his ear at a children's literacy program.

Further the argument that our phones use public radio is bull. AT&T-Verizon-sprint-tmobile all use private towers and we have private/individual numbers. By principal only, that argument could extend to individual emails.

By the time something that huge and cataclysmic happens, I doubt I'll be awaiting instructions from the white house regardless who is in it.

To argue a desired blissful state, I'd argue a proactive independent state who isn't a sheep.

bacaramac
Jun 15, 2013, 10:36 AM
Just got the update on the iPhone 4 I have laying around.

thelatinist
Jun 15, 2013, 11:15 AM
Anyone care to explain what a Presidential alert might contain? We don't have a President where I live :)

Well, it's kind of hard to extrapolate from n=0 (there has never been a Presidential alert). Since 9/11 didn't trigger an alert, there are probably pretty few things that would. I would say incoming nuclear missiles or a large-scale chemical weapons attack might trigger an alert with a shelter-in-place order. Something like that. It would have to be something both national in scale and unexpected so that it's not all over the news. It's really not going to be used in anything less significant than that.

Further the argument that our phones use public radio is bull. AT&T-Verizon-sprint-tmobile all use private towers and we have private/individual numbers. By principal only, that argument could extend to individual emails.

No. Radio spectrum is a valuable public resource. As a nation, we allow private companies and individuals to make use of our extremely limited useful radio spectrum with their radio and television transmittters and cell towers and handsets -- but it comes with reasonable conditions. One of those conditions is that, in the event of a truly catastrophic emergency the government can use that same infrastructure to transmit essential information to the American people. It is a perfectly reasonable balance of public and private interests.

dyates0801
Jun 15, 2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks!

Mine showed up when I installed iOS 7. It's at te bottom of the notification center settings

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 11:50 AM
No. Radio spectrum is a valuable public resource. As a nation, we allow private companies and individuals to make use of our extremely limited useful radio spectrum with their radio and television transmittters and cell towers and handsets -- but it comes with reasonable conditions. One of those conditions is that, in the event of a truly catastrophic emergency the government can use that same infrastructure to transmit essential information to the American people. It is a perfectly reasonable balance of public and private interests.

Then allow the public to opt out if they desire to.

testcard
Jun 15, 2013, 11:55 AM
Well, it's kind of hard to extrapolate from n=0 (there has never been a Presidential alert). Since 9/11 didn't trigger an alert, there are probably pretty few things that would. I would say incoming nuclear missiles or a large-scale chemical weapons attack might trigger an alert with a shelter-in-place order. Something like that. It would have to be something both national in scale and unexpected so that it's not all over the news. It's really not going to be used in anything less significant than that.

Thanks for the explanation. Lets hope it's never needed.

Digital Dude
Jun 15, 2013, 12:10 PM
I've been in government service for all my life so there isn't anything they don't already know. At this point I'm so old and obsolete that I really don't give a rat's-ass if they track me or not. :cool:

rwilliams
Jun 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Weird - I got the notification of the carrier update, but I still don't have the emergency alerts under Settings->Notifications. I'm using an iPhone 5 running 6.1.

thelatinist
Jun 15, 2013, 12:47 PM
Then allow the public to opt out if they desire to.

You can. Just stop using public radio spectrum to carry your private communications.

MegamanX
Jun 15, 2013, 12:55 PM

not just TV but radio as well. Pretty much anything in the broadcast area. To me this just falls under that same area.

----------

Better late than never, AT&T.

I've had this on my Verizon 4S for several months now.

I agree the AMBER alerts can be a pain sometimes, especially when they go off when you're not in a position to help. For now I deal with the minor inconvenience, since the benefits far outweigh the cons.

yeah I turned off amber alerts real quickly. Big time since I notices they cover a much wider area that they could really be useful.

----------

Glad I don't have an iPhone, I don't want that communist Obama sending me text messages about the Democrats campaigns. Blah blah Reagan blah blah.

I'd imagine if there's an impending emergency big enough to require a Presidential Alert we'll be all glad to know about it

umm those would not fall under presidential alerts.

To me this is just an example of people not understanding what a presidential alert is.

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 01:10 PM
You can. Just stop using public radio spectrum to carry your private communications.

Public radio spectrum-

It is one thing to use the spectrum on public space like tv (when it was/is free) over the air, radio as it is free over the air. I pay my carrier for a service to use the cell space for communications at my own discretion, not to be forced to accept notifications from unwanted sources.

I suppose if the government wants to pay for all those services or make it free to everyone then they could force notifications through.

The point here really is the choice to accept or reject the notification. Being able to turn them on or off at the users discretion.

smithrh
Jun 15, 2013, 01:42 PM
The point here really is the choice to accept or reject the notification. Being able to turn them on or off at the users discretion.

You are aware, are you not, of the OFF switches?

CosmoPilot
Jun 15, 2013, 02:12 PM
That's about the most heartless comment I've ever read. You do know what an Amber Alert is right? You might be the key to identifying a particular car/license plate and help return a terrified child back to his or her parents...but as long as you're not bothered?

You can schedule Do Not Disturb if sleep/silence is required...but in the course of a normal day? I assume you're joking.

marvin4653
Jun 15, 2013, 02:21 PM

It has nothing to do with who is in office or what party is in power
Of course not.

It is one thing to use the spectrum on public space like tv (when it was/is free) over the air, radio as it is free over the air. I pay my carrier for a service to use the cell space for communications at my own discretion, not to be forced to accept notifications from unwanted sources.
The broadcast alert system was not limited to "free over the air" TV and radio. Subscription TV providers (cable and satellite) are also required to participate in the Emergency Alert System. Those guidelines can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations, specifically at 47 C.F.R. § 11.11(a).

For cell providers, Congress made the program voluntary. The only reason you'll be "forced to accept" Presidential Alerts is because your cell provider voluntarily decided to participate in the alert program. 47 U.S.C. § 1201(a) ("The [FCC] shall . . . adopt relevant technical standards, protocols, procedures, and other technical requirements . . . to enable commercial mobile service alerting capability for commercial mobile service providers that voluntarily elect to transmit emergency alerts.").

xdhd350
Jun 15, 2013, 02:25 PM
It's about time.

This is useful for storm warnings, as not everyone listens to radio and TV all the time anymore.

That's a major part of why they are doing it. Outdoor warning sirens are for just that.. people who are outdoors.

Also, people listening to sat radio in their vehicles will miss important weather info on the road, like when in Oklahoma and a rain wrapped EF-5 is about to cross paths with you and you are oblivious because you didn't get the Tornado warning.

Living in an area with a lot of severe weather each year, I welcome the alerts. I like that it only notifies you if you are in a geographic area relevant to the alert.

marvin4653
Jun 15, 2013, 02:56 PM
Originally, Congress contemplated that the alerts would be sent during times of war, when the President decides that an alert is essential to national defense and security:

"During the continuance of a war in which the United States is engaged, the President is authorized, if he finds it necessary for the national defense and security, to direct that such communications as in his judgment may be essential to the national defense and security shall have preference or priority with any carrier subject to this chapter." (this quote is from a law passed by the US Congress in 1934, currently found at 47 U.S.C. § 606(a)).

FEMA, the Federal Emergency Management Agency in the US, describes Presidential Alerts like this:

"The national level EAS provides the President with a readily available and reliable means of emergency communications with the American people. It provides a capability in grave emergencies when national communications resources may have been damaged and the survival of the Nation is threatened." (this quote is from FEMA's National Warning System Operations Manual, at page 2-5, available at http://www.fema.gov/pdf/library/1550_2.pdf).

testcard
Jun 15, 2013, 03:03 PM
That's an alert I would never want to see on my phone. Doomsday Scenario - there should probably be an app for that.

marvin4653
Jun 15, 2013, 03:14 PM
I found it interesting that federal regulations prescribe the message tone and vibration pattern that a phone must produce when it receives an alert:

Message tone:
The audio attention signal must have a temporal pattern of one long tone of two (2) seconds, followed by two short tones of one (1) second each, with a half (0.5) second interval between each tone. The entire sequence must be repeated twice with a half (0.5) second interval between each repetition.

For devices that have polyphonic capabilities, the audio attention signal must consist of the fundamental frequencies of 853 Hz and 960 Hz transmitted simultaneously.

For devices with only a monophonic capability, the audio attention signal must be 960 Hz.

Vibration pattern:
The vibration cadence must have a temporal pattern of one long vibration of two (2) seconds, followed by two short vibrations of one (1) second each, with a half (0.5) second interval between each vibration. The entire sequence must be repeated twice with a half (0.5) second interval between each repetition.

(47 C.F.R. § 10.520, 10.530)

quietstormSD
Jun 15, 2013, 03:19 PM
Imagine if they push out that annoying high pitched sound randomly every month to test the system like they do on TV and radio. That would hilarious.

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 03:31 PM
You are aware, are you not, of the OFF switches?

As notes earlier in the thread 2/3 can be turned off. Presidential alerts are mandatory.

----------

The broadcast alert system was not limited to "free over the air" TV and radio. Subscription TV providers (cable and satellite) are also required to participate in the Emergency Alert System. Those guidelines can be found in the Code of Federal Regulations, specifically at 47 C.F.R. § 11.11(a).

For cell providers, Congress made the program voluntary. The only reason you'll be "forced to accept" Presidential Alerts is because your cell provider voluntarily decided to participate in the alert program. 47 U.S.C. § 1201(a) ("The [FCC] shall . . . adopt relevant technical standards, protocols, procedures, and other technical requirements . . . to enable commercial mobile service alerting capability for commercial mobile service providers that voluntarily elect to transmit emergency alerts.").

I don't think show time or HBO has been interrupted. The major networks have but nick jr and the like don't.

Again I'm not against it being there, as much as I'm against the lack of the option.

CosmoPilot
Jun 15, 2013, 03:40 PM
It's amazing Sprint & Verizon have had this for quite some time. However, as soon as AT&T incorporates it, all madness ensues.

----------

As notes earlier in the thread 2/3 can be turned off. Presidential alerts are mandatory.

----------

I don't think show time or HBO has been interrupted. The major networks have but nick jr and the like don't.

Again I'm not against it being there, as much as I'm against the lack of the option.

You can turn it off/on and/or utilize Do Not Disturb scheduling. That's a lot of options in my opinion.

marvin4653
Jun 15, 2013, 04:16 PM

Yes, HBO and Showtime absolutely would be interrupted. Television broadcasters, not individual channels, are the entities that are required to broadcast the message. In other words, it's not HBO that inserts the Presidential Alert; instead, it's Comcast or DirecTV or another television provider that interrupts their current broadcast content with the alert.

The system was tested back in 2011, and here is some of the coverage of that test:

Comcast's message to subscribers:
"This test will last approximately three minutes and will be seen on all local, cable, and satellite TV stations across the country, as well as radio. Your Comcast programming will be temporarily interrupted. However, as soon as the test ends, you will be returned to your regularly scheduled programming."
http://info.xfinity.com/Portal/content/Comcast/Service/2011/11November/10740EAS.aspx

"No matter where you tune in, or what satellite TV channel you're watching, you'll hear the same message and tones: several beeps followed by a message, then more beeps."
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2016716848_eas09m.html

Here's coverage from the New York Times. Notice the picture at the top of this page from the test, showing a TV displaying a message from DirecTV:
http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/09/its-only-a-test-but-what-a-test/

You can read reactions of Comcast subscribers who watched the test in this forum; they mention that their set-top boxes were forcibly tuned to a specific station when the alert happened:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26407834-Nationwide-EAS-Test-11-9-2-00-PM-EST~start=60

parseckadet
Jun 15, 2013, 04:53 PM
I do not want to install this update on my phone especially considering the NSA bs going on. Apple needs to allow people a way to upgrade without this "feature" installing.

Does anyone here seriously think that this update has anything to do with the NSA spying on you? Do you really think that if they needed to update some setting or whatever on your phone that they would really display a message that told you about the update? Put away your tin foil hat and use some common sense for once.

rorschach
Jun 15, 2013, 05:18 PM
... I agree on 'public' communication systems, like tv radio etc. The president doesn't need to be buzzing in my pants. But seeing your avatar anything I say about your dear leader will cause a roll eyes comment.

Sending a text message is hardly intrusive, and is the natural evolution of existing emergency alert systems.

Besides, in 60 years of operation, no president has ever activated the national EAS -- despite 9/11, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and countless other disasters and incidents.

dforshaw
Jun 15, 2013, 06:25 PM
I just checked my iPhone 4 MC319LL/A and it looks like they sent out the carrier update for that as well.

I checked my wife's iPhone 4 MC610LL/A and it wasn't there, but as soon as I went to check the Carrier version, it received the update and got the new notifications…

pubwvj
Jun 15, 2013, 06:48 PM
I _REALLY_ do _NOT_ want this. The problem is what they consider an issue either I don't want to know about or I've already taken care of. I don't want to be told about every amber alert, every tornado warning, every snow storm, etc. This is totally unnecessary and intrusive. It interferes with dealing with real stuff. It is also useless. This sort of thing should be optional. One should be able to opt-out.

We should also be able to opt out of the political announcements. Too bad Congress gave themselves an exemption on the Do-Not-Call list.

firewood
Jun 15, 2013, 06:49 PM
Anyone care to explain what a Presidential alert might contain?

This system was designed in the cold war era to warn that a ballistic missile with a nuclear warhead was heading toward your locale. I think you'd want to know as soon as possible (to run down into an underground shelter, perform last rites appropriate for your religion, etc.)

One might also want to promptly hear those weather alerts for the kind of EF5 tornados that scours houses right off their foundations into splinters is heading in your direction.

If you don't want to hear these alerts, the people around you might want to know so they can take cover while you turn off your annoying phone and wait to get blown apart.

marvin4653
Jun 15, 2013, 06:52 PM
I _REALLY_ do _NOT_ want this. The problem is what they consider an issue either I don't want to know about or I've already taken care of. I don't want to be told about every amber alert, every tornado warning, every snow storm, etc. This is totally unnecessary and intrusive. It interferes with dealing with real stuff. It is also useless. This sort of thing should be optional. One should be able to opt-out.

We should also be able to opt out of the political announcements. Too bad Congress gave themselves an exemption on the Do-Not-Call list.
It is optional. You can opt-out of all of these alerts on your phone, with the exception of the "Presidential alerts." Presidential alerts are only for "grave emergencies when national communications resources may have been damaged and the survival of the Nation is threatened," and have never been used in the 63-year history of the national emergency alert system.

Take a look back at the main posting of this story, and you'll see that after your phone is updated you'll have toggle switches under Notifications in your Settings app that allow you to turn off these alerts if you don't wish to receive them: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17428758&postcount=1

I enjoyed reading about your tiny cottage project a while back when I saw the signature on one of your posts in the forums.

Intell
Jun 15, 2013, 06:56 PM

You do realize that there is an option to turn them off. And the presidential alerts would only be used in extreme national emergencies. Not for spamming your phone with text messages to vote for the party of current incumbent president.

Juan007
Jun 15, 2013, 07:31 PM
I also would like to opt out. I will resort to using jailbreak / hacked firmware if needed. My phone belongs to me, and not to the president or anyone else. I don't want to receive spam alerts.

Verbatim Cookie
Jun 15, 2013, 07:33 PM

umm those would not fall under presidential alerts.

To me this is just an example of people not understanding what a presidential alert is.

I believe the part of Hastings101's post that I quoted was meant to be satirical. (I wouldn't have gotten it if s/he hadn't included the second sentence, though.)

Well, isn't there a national government where you live? Hasn't your government set up a similar emergency notification system?

Intell
Jun 15, 2013, 07:34 PM
I also would like to opt out. I will resort to using jailbreak / hacked firmware if needed. My phone belongs to me, and not to the president or anyone else. I don't want to receive spam alerts.

Once again, there is an option to turn them off. And the presidential alerts would only be used in extreme national emergencies. Not for spamming your phone with text messages to vote for the party of current incumbent president.

Dopeyman
Jun 15, 2013, 08:01 PM
Really! I don't know about updated firmware for FT. But I have jailbroken iPhone to use FT over cellular which have grandfathered plan. I will wait to get updated iOS 7 and try to get FT over cellular, hopefully.

After this emergency news update was when I noticed that I was able to do this.

I was actually looking for that free hotspot that was mentioned earlier. But I still gotta pay for that. This FT over cell is good enough though.

thelatinist
Jun 15, 2013, 08:04 PM
It is one thing to use the spectrum on public space like tv (when it was/is free) over the air, radio as it is free over the air.

It is ALL public spectrum. As a nation we've decided that one of the best ways to use it is to allocate a portion of it to certain private companies for use in providing cellular telephone service. You paid your cellular telephone company for the service of providing you with voice and data over that spectrum; you didn't buy the exclusive right to its use, and your use is subject to restrictions that we, through our government, have placed on it. For instance, the transmission power of your handset is limited to 2W and it is required to have technology that makes it possible to locate you for E-911 purposes. All perfectly reasonable. And, as I said, you have the ability to opt out by not subscribing to cell service.

But this is really quite silly anyway. AT&T is not even being required to send these messages. It is a service that they have chosen to offer to their customers. AT&T could have chosen not to participate in the program, in which case they would not be able to transmit amber alerts and weather alerts but would not be required to transmit Presidential alerts. But they didn't. AT&T has the right to offer you whatever kind of service they want, and your remedy if you don't like it is not to pay for it. Period.

Juan007
Jun 15, 2013, 08:09 PM
Once again, there is an option to turn them off. And the presidential alerts would only be used in extreme national emergencies. Not for spamming your phone with text messages to vote for the party of current incumbent president.

Once again, it's my phone, not the President's. National emergency or not, I don't want to be spammed. Also, this can easily be abused in non-emergency situations in the future.

OPT OUT.

marvin4653
Jun 15, 2013, 08:22 PM
Once again, it's my phone, not the President's. National emergency or not, I don't want to be spammed. Also, this can easily be abused in non-emergency situations in the future.

OPT OUT.
Are you familiar with the Emergency Broadcast System? The often-referenced "This is a test of the emergency broadcast system..." message that's been around since the '50s? These alerts are like that system on your phone. This isn't "spam."

The effectiveness of the Emergency Alert System depends upon the system only being used during emergencies so that people will take the alerts seriously. Federal law and regulations tightly restrict the use of the special warning sounds and messages precisely so that the alerts will be taken seriously if they are needed. For example, with regard to the version of the alerts that are broadcast on television and radio, federal regulations specifically forbid any use of the system under non-emergency conditions (notice how the regulation forbids even the transmission of a simulated version of the alert):

"No person may transmit or cause to transmit the EAS codes or Attention Signal, or a recording or simulation thereof, in any circumstance other than in an actual National, State or Local Area emergency or authorized test of the EAS." 47 C.F.R. § 11.45.

Even if a broadcaster wants to make an announcement to their subscribers explaining how the alert system works, the broadcaster "may not simulate or attempt to copy alert tones or codes." 47 C.F.R. § 11.46.

As many comments have mentioned, the presidential alert system has never been used in 63 years. Easily abused? It's never been used.

thelatinist
Jun 15, 2013, 08:33 PM
These tinfoil hat people amuse me. They have been given the option to opt out of every type of message that we are likely to receive in your lifetime, but they're fretting over a the fact that they can't opt out of the type of message they won't get except in the direst of emergencies. Anyone who thinks their biggest annoyance if we're under nuclear attack will be an unsolicited message from the President giving them potentially life-saving instructions has got some serious issues.

----------

I found it interesting that federal regulations prescribe the message tone and vibration pattern that a phone must produce when it receives an alert:

Message tone:
[I]The audio attention signal must have a temporal pattern of one long tone of two (2) seconds, followed by two short tones of one (1) second each, with a half (0.5) second interval between each tone. The entire sequence must be repeated twice with a half (0.5) second interval between each repetition.

For devices that have polyphonic capabilities, the audio attention signal must consist of the fundamental frequencies of 853 Hz and 960 Hz transmitted simultaneously.

Thanks for this info. It makes a lot of sense, though: this is the same pattern of tones and combination of frequencies used in broadcast EAS messages. I imagine that a lot of science went in to finding the combination that would best draw people's attention, and we've been trained by fifteen years of broadcast tests to sit up and take notice when we hear those tones.

Steve.P.JobsFan
Jun 15, 2013, 08:39 PM
This would've been useful three days ago, when a tornado landed half a mile from my house during the really bad storms we just had.

But nonetheless, at least we finally have WEAs on AT&T.

Dopeyman
Jun 15, 2013, 08:44 PM
This is a new feature in IOS 7 that they decided to let be available for everyone now.

----------

I was not aware of that. Last time I talked to them they said they would never have it for unlimited. Just for the other plans.

xdhd350
Jun 15, 2013, 08:44 PM
These tinfoil hat people amuse me. They have been given the option to opt out of every type of message that we are likely to receive in your lifetime, but they're fretting over a the fact that they can't opt out of the type of message they won't get except in the direst of emergencies. Anyone who thinks their biggest annoyance if we're under nuclear attack will be an unsolicited message from the President giving them potentially life-saving instructions has got some serious issues.

My sentiments exactly. Back in my days of being a radio dj, I was required to read the EBS test script once a month, verbatim. No alternate wording allowed. The tones also had strict requirements. There was also a red envelope that arrived once a month at the station with the 'authentication code' so we would know for sure if it was ever the 'real deal'.

These messages aren't 'spam'. It's clear from reading this thread that the nation is becoming a bunch of selfish idiots who want to remain clueless in emergencies.

marvin4653
Jun 15, 2013, 09:03 PM
Thanks for this info. It makes a lot of sense, though: this is the same pattern of tones and combination of frequencies used in broadcast EAS messages. I imagine that a lot of science went in to finding the combination that would best draw people's attention, and we've been trained by fifteen years of broadcast tests to sit up and take notice when we hear those tones.
I think you're right. I couldn't find much information about it, but that two-tone sound was adopted in the early 1970s, replacing an earlier single tone at 1,000 hz. This was one of few contemporaneous comments about the research process that I could find:

The deadline for submission of proposals for consideration by the NIAC special working group [a special national industry advisory committee working group] was September 5, 1963 [this report was published on February 13, 1969!]. Of 13 proposals submitted, four were selected for field testing — Philco, General Electric, CBS ‘Homealert‘, and Zenith. On the basis of these tests, a composite two-tone transmission standard (employing 853 and 960 c./s. audio tones) was recommended by the NIAC special working group for intensive investigation. Recent testing of equipment for the proposed NIAC two-tone system yielded a high percentage of positive responses with no falsing. In re Public Notice Concerning EBS Signaling and Public Alerting System, 16 F.C.C. 2d 666 (Feb. 13, 1969).

It's actually been quite interesting to learn a little bit about the alert system and its history.

thelatinist
Jun 15, 2013, 09:09 PM

Do you mean over cellular data? If so, my grandfathered AT&T 4S still tells me that I need to change data plans when I try to turn on that switch in settings. Do I need to update something?

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Or the ones that's aren't clueless and keep up on what's going on through news and what not and would probably be aware of suck an emergency through other channels than having a push notification.

Intell
Jun 15, 2013, 09:12 PM

OPT OUT.

While the hardware is yours, the software is licensed from Apple and you're using public radio spectrum in a federally overseen land. They can do what they please to the device.

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 09:14 PM
Or just be 'pro choice' and allow users to choose whether or not to receive this lone notification like all the others.

----------

While the hardware is yours, the software is licensed from Apple and you're using public radio spectrum in a federally overseen land. They can do what they please to the device.

Is this Russia? China? Where we are the government can do what they please to the device? I guess thy can choose who can breathe the air too.

Intell
Jun 15, 2013, 09:17 PM
Is this Russia? China? Where we are the government can do what they please to the device? I guess thy can choose who can breathe the air too.

All the US federal government has to do is label someone as a terrorist using undisclosed and likely fuzzy criteria, and they can proceed to do what ever they want.

imahotshot
Jun 15, 2013, 09:26 PM
I received this on my iPhone 4 the other day. This had been out already for other phones I thought.

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 09:29 PM
The spectrum was around before the government was. I just think think it should be treated like any other notification let the users decide what to get notifications on. Regardless of the source or the material or content of the notification. What if we were forced to get notifications from Apple? Google? Local school district? What if every app couldn't be turned on or off; it's the choice. Responsibility and accountability, choose to participate in AMBER alerts, or weather/disaster alerts.

danahn17
Jun 15, 2013, 09:45 PM
The spectrum was around before the government was. I just think think it should be treated like any other notification let the users decide what to get notifications on. Regardless of the source or the material or content of the notification. What if we were forced to get notifications from Apple? Google? Local school district? What if every app couldn't be turned on or off; it's the choice. Responsibility and accountability, choose to participate in AMBER alerts, or weather/disaster alerts.

Sorry, that's a flimsy argument IMO. You're essentially saying since the spectrum existed before the government that we don't need government to tell us how to use it (ie in case of massive emergency). Well, in that case, food existed before the government (goodbye USDA). Fungi with medicinal properties existed before government (goodbye FDA). Nature existed before government (goodbye EPA). Laws (at least moral codes) existed before governments (goodbye Legislative and Judiciary branches).

I still don't see what the big deal is. You can turn off everything except the one thing that's never been used before...and if they ever use it, I doubt your first reaction will be like "#*&$ the government for sending me this message that I did not want." I think your fear that this is a slippery slope of forced notification is a misplaced one. There's a difference between the EAS messages and everything else you listed.

Dopeyman
Jun 15, 2013, 09:48 PM
Do you mean over cellular data? If so, my grandfathered AT&T 4S still tells me that I need to change data plans when I try to turn on that switch in settings. Do I need to update something?

Did you get this new emergency update? Try restarting your phone.

A few people said its been there for a while. Like I mentioned earlier, I just noticed it when I got this update.

donutbagel
Jun 15, 2013, 09:52 PM
Aw man, nothing for iPhone 4 :(

----------

You can already disable it if you don't want to receive warnings for some reason...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/643634/Screen%20shot%202013-06-15%20at%207.50.10%20PM.png

----------

Or just be 'pro choice' and allow users to choose whether or not to receive this lone notification like all the others.

Why would you not want to receive a warning?

Prospekt
Jun 15, 2013, 09:54 PM
You can turn off the Presidential notification. On the top of your iPhone, there is a button (near the right side of the bezel). If you hold it in, there will be text on the screen that says "slide to power off." If you run your thumb (or finger, or any skin from your body) across, the Presidential alert will be shut down. You can do this before any nuclear holocaust or foreign invasion so you won't be bothered by those pesky Presidential warnings

Aldaris
Jun 15, 2013, 10:02 PM
Sorry, that's a flimsy argument IMO. You're essentially saying since the spectrum existed before the government that we don't need government to tell us how to use it (ie in case of massive emergency). Well, in that case, food existed before the government (goodbye USDA). Fungi with medicinal properties existed before government (goodbye FDA). Nature existed before government (goodbye EPA). Laws (at least moral codes) existed before governments (goodbye Legislative and Judiciary branches).

So we should all be sheep having glorious government take care of us because us pitiful mortals/citizens can't think for ourselves... Because if the USDA wasn't at round we'd all be eating rotten food and moldy bread.

Intell
Jun 15, 2013, 10:03 PM
So we should all be sheep having glorious government take care of us because us pitiful mortals/citizens can't think for ourselves... Because if the USDA wasn't at round we'd all be eating rotten food and moldy bread.

We're already sheep, we just don't know it.

donutbagel
Jun 15, 2013, 10:03 PM

Please, just quit using the government-controlled Internet then.

GLS
Jun 15, 2013, 10:05 PM
The amount of tinfoil being used by some of these posters is no doubt staggering.

Prospekt
Jun 15, 2013, 10:06 PM
Please, just quit using the government-controlled Internet then.

And don't forget we should stop using the government funded roads

MegamanX
Jun 15, 2013, 10:46 PM
Public radio spectrum-

I suppose if the government wants to pay for all those services or make it free to everyone then they could force notifications through.

sorry but the spectrum is public air ways. It is controlled by the government. Your phone call and signals from that end up going threw the public air ways and filter threw MY house.

----------

HBO and showtime do not use any public airways. They never go over those spectrum. They go over cable lines so that argument of your is a fail.

donutbagel
Jun 15, 2013, 11:51 PM

Not sure if you're joking, but recording video through the camera constantly would be a massive battery and data hog.

----------

I don't understand what's so offensive about the government issuing disaster warnings. If that one rare buzz that goes off from a warning is annoying you, I don't want to see how you react when spammers call you.

PsyOpWarlord
Jun 16, 2013, 12:04 AM
HBO and showtime do not use any public airways. They never go over those spectrum. They go over cable lines so that argument of your is a fail.

Chances are it does. It's broadcasted to your local cable provider via satellite.

thelatinist
Jun 16, 2013, 12:21 AM

Read your history. The USDA was given the power to inspect meat because of the appalling conditions in meat processing plants (as dramatized in Upton Sinclair's 1905 novel The Jungle, which were resulting in diseased and contaminated meat in the food supply. The same goes for eggs, later. Without the vigilance of the USDA and FDA, the outbreaks of food-borne illnesses we hear about in the news would absolutely become commonplace as manufacturers took shortcuts and endangered our health. The same goes for the milk supply, which used to kill thousands or tens of thousand of children annually before regulation (in this case largely on the state level) required safe handling, refridgeration, and inspections. The idea that such an industry can be self-policing or that we as consumer have the knowledge and skills to ensure the safety of the food supply for ourselves is ludicrous.

Rajani Isa
Jun 16, 2013, 12:22 AM
I've gotten local AMBER alerts on my phone before while I was at work, it was weird hearing random phones in the store all making the same noise, if a bit confusing.

That's when I learned that lottery machines show them at the same time.The Amber alert system was probably the fastest yet well done roll out of a government system I've ever seen.

For all intents and purposes, the presidential alerts is practically turned off. The presidential alert via EAS (or its predecessors) has never been used before. That includes events like Kennedy's assassination and 9/11... If the alert wasn't used for those events, think about just how major the precipitating event has to be.

Source: EAS on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System).

Considering the precedents set in NOT using it (they might of used it on 9/11 IF they had known the first plane wasn't a fluke. But it wasn't until around the second hit they knew, IIRC) any President who uses it will have that usage examined very heavily. At this point, it ever being used would freak me out prior to even reading the message.

Rajani Isa
Jun 16, 2013, 12:57 AM
Sending a text message is hardly intrusive, and is the natural evolution of existing emergency alert systems.

Besides, in 60 years of operation, no president has ever activated the national EAS -- despite 9/11, the Cuban Missile Crisis, and countless other disasters and incidents.

While I'll agree with you on the Do Not Call list issue, I'll disagree with pretty much the rest of your post for two reasons:

A missing child, or a natural disaster, isn't "unreal stuff" as your context implies. Just ask Kaine Horman, or people who live in San Francisco or "Tornado Alley".

The two types of alerts you are likely to get, are indeed optional.

Huracan
Jun 16, 2013, 01:29 AM
Yes, I also got an Amber alert earlier. My guess is that this update is actually not to enable the service, but to allow people to opt out from the alerts that can be disabled. Personally I am leaving both of them on.

That's when I learned that lottery machines show them at the same time.

thelatinist
Jun 16, 2013, 01:50 AM
Did you get this new emergency update? Try restarting your phone.

A few people said its been there for a while. Like I mentioned earlier, I just noticed it when I got this update.

I have received the update, so I have the latest Carrier software, version 14.1. Just restarted my phone, too: no dice.

testcard
Jun 16, 2013, 02:10 AM
Well, isn't there a national government where you live? Hasn't your government set up a similar emergency notification system?
Here in the UK I believe the system of nationwide radio and TV alerts and 4 minute warning sirens was scrapped after the Cold War ended. Now we would probably have to rely on the BBC to alert us to a national emergency.

Dagless
Jun 16, 2013, 05:15 AM
That sounds like a great system! It should be built into all phones to maximise coverage, even as a text message for "dumbphones".

pooleman
Jun 16, 2013, 07:00 AM
Aw man, nothing for iPhone 4 :(

----------

You can already disable it if you don't want to receive warnings for some reason...

Image (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/643634/Screen%20shot%202013-06-15%20at%207.50.10%20PM.png)

----------

Why would you not want to receive a warning?

But you can't disable the presidential alerts. That's what I already noted, and that what I'm hoping a tweak will be able to block. If the gob'ment can force information onto your phone how do we know they aren't also taking information?

nozebleed
Jun 16, 2013, 08:46 AM

until you need a service done with obamacare, and they go back and see that you werent living your life according to their standards, and you get denied and handed a pill

Mebsat
Jun 16, 2013, 08:54 AM

Under this theory then, the government can install whatever software it wants on my hardware if it accesses the "public" airwaves.
But that is not really the case.

[I]The real questions to ponder are:
1) Is the authorization to do this limited enough under the WARN Act (which gave the government the authority)?

2) Now that they can induce our carriers to automatically install software on our devices for a reasonable purpose, will we simply be conditioned to this?

The clear public purpose and the ability to target geographic areas make this alert system a good use of technology and hard to criticize. And this is exactly why it needs to be noted repeatedly that this is an exception, empowered by specific legislation for a specific purpose.

By the way, reminding your legislators of this does not make you a conspiracy theorist, it makes you a citizen.

renewed
Jun 16, 2013, 09:22 AM
Presidential Alerts are mandatory?

DING DING DING

"Tune in at 11pmEST/10pmCST to see ME your prezzzy dizzy on SNL for a world crisis solving good time!"

DING DING DING

danahn17
Jun 16, 2013, 10:05 AM
But you can't disable the presidential alerts. That's what I already noted, and that what I'm hoping a tweak will be able to block. If the gob'ment can force information onto your phone how do we know they aren't also taking information?

I'm pretty sure that if the government is taking information from you, turning off the presidential alerts on your iPhone wouldn't stop them from doing so....

bedifferent
Jun 16, 2013, 10:21 AM
until you need a service done with obamacare, and they go back and see that you werent living your life according to their standards, and you get denied and handed a pill

Lord, this is so dramatic and incorrect. As a type 1 diabetic since 12, and having lived in the U.K. now in the U.S. as a dual citizen, I have to laugh at all this rhetoric that Pres. Obama is "socialist", "evil", "communist" in healthcare or in general.

1. This is the first time we have a health care bill of rights. In the late 90's John McCain and Ted Kennedy worked together to establish such bill of rights and failed. This recent passing was a bipartisan endeavor.
2. I've been paying ~$300-400/month to Blue Cross Blue Shield Excellus, I'm now 36 and have no signs of diabetic complications. I test ~20 times/day, insulin when needed, exercise, lift, etc. These should LOWER my premiums, yet they have gone up.
3. Pre-existing Conditions have been eliminated. That speaks for itself.
and much more

The rhetoric about socialized healthcare is frustrating. Roughly 51% of every tax dollar is budgeted for our military, that's more than other nations, we outspend North Korea 75 to 1. This article breaks down spending versus the world (http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/04/us-military-spending-vs-world/) as of April, 2013. Cut back the bloated military budget, restructure the private sect by eliminating administration costs that account for ~70% of our healthcare, reign in lobbyists and establish a working system. Other first world nations budget properly to afford universal healthcare, we don't wait hours/weeks for serious health issues and live longer, better. I spend 10's of thousands on insurance and diabetic supplies in the U.S., I don't in the U.K. and gladly pay the taxes as it saves me long term. A multi-trillion dollar/year healthcare system and its lobbyists have used rhetoric and fear tactics to get American's on their side, without realizing they are shooting themselves in the foot. Valid studies have shown the U.S. ranks well below or last in healthcare (http://www.commonwealthfund.org/News/News-Releases/2010/Jun/US-Ranks-Last-Among-Seven-Countries.aspx):

Despite having the most expensive health care system, the United States ranks last overall compared to six other industrialized countries—Australia, Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom—on measures of health system performance in five areas: quality, efficiency, access to care, equity and the ability to lead long, healthy, productive lives, according to a new Commonwealth Fund report.

New Health Rankings: Of 17 Nations, U.S. Is Dead Last (http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2013/01/new-health-rankings-of-17-nations-us-is-dead-last/267045/)

Read what our POTUS has done since in office, you may be surprised:

- Repeal of DADT
- Developed stimulus package, which includes approx. $18 billion for non defense scientific research and development
- Ended Bush administration's CIA program of 'enhanced interrogation methods' by requiring that the Army field manual be used as the guide for terrorism interrogations
- Established Credit Card Bill of Rights, preventing credit card companies from imposing arbitrary rate increases on customers
- Tax cuts for up to 3.5 million small businesses to help pay for employee health care coverage
- Expansion of Medicaid to all individuals under age 65 with incomes up to 133 percent of the federal poverty level
- Require health insurance plans to disclose how much of the premium actually goes to patient care

Those certainly sound "Marxist" and "un-American", don't they? Find out some more facts:

What the **** has Obama Done So Far (http://whatthe****hasobamadonesofar.com)

Pres. Obama is not a communist, marxist, etc. Pres. GWB had more social welfare programs than Pres. Obama and Pres. Clinton. The U.S. has been a SOCIALIZED DEMOCRACY for a long time. Our teachers, civil servants, police force, firemen, military, army - heck, even the NFL (gotta think about that one) are established systems. A SOCIALIZED DEMOCRACY IS NOT COMMUNISM. Keep repeating that to yourself while studying Political Science. You will learn the differences and understand that this notion we are headed to a "1984" is ludicrous.

rwilliams
Jun 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
I have received the update, so I have the latest Carrier software, version 14.1. Just restarted my phone, too: no dice.

Same here, my man. I'm jailbroken, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

And man, did this thread ever veer off track.

danahn17
Jun 16, 2013, 10:26 AM
I'm not derailing the thread or getting into a more long winded comment.

ummmm.... I think you just did.

IBTL?

firewood
Jun 16, 2013, 10:29 AM
Public radio spectrum ...

That's right. But your mobile phone transmits radio signals that cross other people's property as well as public roads, and thus can interfere with what other people and the government want to do using that same radio spectrum on or over their property. Thus lots of government regulations allowing and preventing the use of such radio transmitters as are contained in a cellular phone.

Just put your iPhone in Airplane mode, and you won't be using this shared electromagnetic airspace, and thus won't get any notifications, notifications which may or may not be part of the regulations required for sharing this portion of the spectrum with the general public.

bedifferent
Jun 16, 2013, 10:47 AM
ummmm.... I think you just did.

IBTL?

Trying to cut it down, I get irritated when people throw around misinformation. If the mod's believe his comment was IBTL and thus mine, they'll remove 'em. If not, that's all I need to write. It's hard to address such comments without getting into it as most comment that I don't have sources, etc. Cutting it down now, just boils my blood. :o

There, deleted half of it. :)

Elaine11
Jun 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
Same here, my man. I'm jailbroken, so I wonder if that has something to do with it.

My iPad just got updated, restarted and nada. My iPhone has not gotten an update yet and neither are jailbroken.

portishead
Jun 16, 2013, 11:15 AM

Take off the tinfoil.

danahn17
Jun 16, 2013, 11:20 AM
Trying to cut it down, I get irritated when people throw around misinformation. If the mod's believe his comment was IBTL and thus mine, they'll remove 'em. If not, that's all I need to write. It's hard to address such comments without getting into it as most comment that I don't have sources, etc. Cutting it down now, just boils my blood. :o

There, deleted half of it. :)

I think it got longer :o :p

bedifferent
Jun 16, 2013, 11:26 AM
I think it got longer :o :p

lol I'm trying, but I think it's time to back awaaay from my keyboard. :p

On topic, I like the amber alerts and important warnings in your respective area. My car's navigation has weather alerts that come in handy for rerouting or pulling over when severe enough. Course I have to use Sirius/XM's Nav + Traffic package, but it's well worth it.

gotluck
Jun 16, 2013, 11:56 AM

Hmm my jailbroken 4 got the update as soon as I went to settings -> about.
I was on WiFi if that matters.
Version 14.1 carrier software.

wordoflife
Jun 16, 2013, 11:57 AM
Now... why is it just for 4S/5 owners?

DaveTheRave
Jun 16, 2013, 12:00 PM
Will this come in as a regular text message, or will it be a different kind of popup or alert?

bedifferent
Jun 16, 2013, 12:02 PM
Will this come in as a regular text message, or will it be a different kind of popup or alert?

Hmmm, good question. I thought text's but if it's an emergency alerts would make sense. Maybe both?

Chupa Chupa
Jun 16, 2013, 12:04 PM
The U.S. has been a SOCIALIZED DEMOCRACY since 1776....

:confused:

1) The Articles of Confederation (1777) specifically stated the United States was not a sovereign nation; that each state was independent, unified only in "mutual friendship" for the common defense of liberty and general welfare (welfare in the 18th century of the use of the word as applied to governments).

2) The Constitution (1788) set up a federal constitutional republic form of government. No where in the Constitution is socialized democracy called for either directly or by implication. There were very few social safety net programs offered by the U.S. government until the late 1800s.

3) Nothing in the Bill of Rights or Amendments suggests citizens have a right to anything other than freedom from government oppression (speech, religion, search and seizure, double jeopardy, right to vote, wrongful gov't taking, etc.)

So I'm entirely unclear why you think the U.S. government was established as a Social Democracy, or has an SD tradition. It's only been the last 100 or so years where the gov't safety net has evolved.

As to the emergency alerts as issue, I don't understand why anyone would be up in arms about it. It seems very reasonable and non-intrusive to me. It's no different than the broadcast alert system.

DaveTheRave
Jun 16, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hmmm, good question. I thought text's but if it's an emergency alerts would make sense. Maybe both?

My wife has an iphone 5 on Verizon. Last year we were in Manhattan the day before Hurricane Sandy and her phone received several alerts (not texts) telling us to get out of flood zones A, B, etc. so maybe ATT will do it same way. A regular text is too easy to ignore sometimes.

Intell
Jun 16, 2013, 12:11 PM
Under this theory then, the government can install whatever software it wants on my hardware if it accesses the "public" airwaves.
But that is not really the case.

The US government already has the ability to dictate what software gets installed on your devices, they rarely exercise it. When it does get exercised it's mostly in the form of wiretaps and monitoring software. They'd rather just set up a monitoring post via the FCC's power and monitor your communications. There just isn't anything as private radio frequencies anymore, because of the FCC. Just like there isn't a thing as private airspace anymore, because of the FAA. The closest thing to it would be spectrum used only by government control bodies like the military. While a private company many have general control over a certain swath of the airwaves, they ultimately have to report to the government controlled FCC.

aristobrat
Jun 16, 2013, 12:11 PM
They show up as a different type on my Verizon iPhone, ... their own "Emergency Alert" type. I assume they'll show up the same way on AT&T.

Screenshot below shows the difference between what they look like on iOS 7. From what I've seen of my friends iOS 6 devices, that looks the same.

bedifferent
Jun 16, 2013, 12:20 PM
My wife has an iphone 5 on Verizon. Last year we were in Manhattan the day before Hurricane Sandy and her phone received several alerts (not texts) telling us to get out of flood zones A, B, etc. so maybe ATT will do it same way. A regular text is too easy to ignore sometimes.

They show up as a different type on my Verizon iPhone, ... their own "Emergency Alert" type. I assume they'll show up the same way on AT&T.

Screenshot below shows the difference between what they look like on iOS 7. From what I've seen of my friends iOS 6 devices, that looks the same.

Didn't know AT&T already supported this in iOS. Running iOS 7 beta 1 on my iPhone 5, haven't seen it yet so thanks for the post/image. The iPhone 4 will receive iOS 7, so it can't be based on the software. Makes me wonder why only the 4S/5 will qualify.

donutbagel
Jun 16, 2013, 12:24 PM

Disabling the government sending information using a Cydia tweak would not disable the government taking information.

bedifferent
Jun 16, 2013, 12:24 PM
snip
As to the emergency alerts as issue, I don't understand why anyone would be up in arms about it. It seems very reasonable and non-intrusive to me. It's no different than the broadcast alert system.

Without wanting to continue thus derailing the thread, I removed that small reference to avoid splitting hairs and moved on.

As for your second point, I agree. It is very beneficial, especially in regard to Amber alerts and storm warnings. The quicker and more efficient the information, the better the chance at helping.

racer1441
Jun 16, 2013, 12:36 PM
Looks like my next iPhone will be a iPod touch. I don't want weather alerts, amber alerts, or what ever any crook in the White House wants to say.

Mebsat
Jun 16, 2013, 12:37 PM
The US government already has the ability to dictate what software gets installed on your devices, they rarely exercise it. When it does get exercised it's mostly in the form of wiretaps and monitoring software. They'd rather just set up a monitoring post via the FCC's power and monitor your communications. There just isn't anything as private radio frequencies anymore, because of the FCC. Just like there isn't a thing as private airspace anymore, because of the FAA. The closest thing to it would be spectrum used only by government control bodies like the military. While a private company many have general control over a certain swath of the airwaves, they ultimately have to report to the government controlled FCC.

I think it makes sense to distinguish between what you describe here (a court-ordered/warrant type situation) and installing software en masse onto the devices of a presumably non-targeted population.

I realize recent news may make this distinction seem somewhat unrealistic, but when can the government install software onto private property when the owner is not the subject of an investigation?

Intell
Jun 16, 2013, 12:47 PM
I realize recent news may make this distinction seem somewhat unrealistic, but when can the government install software onto private property when the owner is not the subject of an investigation?

When they label you as a terrorist using undisclosed and likely fuzzy criteria.

Rajani Isa
Jun 16, 2013, 01:09 PM
Functionally it's a text with (I think) a unique ringtone/vibe pattern (based on the previously quoted regulation about them in the thread)
Looks like my next iPhone will be a iPod touch. I don't want weather alerts, amber alerts, or what ever any crook in the White House wants to say.

You can turn off the Amber alerts and the emergency alerts. Chances are we will never have a "presidential alert".

Jimbo47
Jun 16, 2013, 01:15 PM
Why would anybody want to disable this? Verizon has had this for awhile now, and I've only received one alert which was an amber alert. Regardless if you turn it off, you'll still receive text messages. When the particular amber alert was issued, everybody, smart phone or feature phone received some kind of alert whether it be push message or text message.

bedifferent
Jun 16, 2013, 01:16 PM
When they label you as a terrorist using undisclosed and likely fuzzy criteria.

Example(s)?

Targeted suspects are based on plenty of intel and oversight. Local and federal law enforcement were able to track and apprehend the Boston suspects w/o accusing innocent parties. I did not see anyone pinned as a suspect until gathered intel was checked and double checked. The recent ricin letters were traced to two men in Mississippi, both proclaiming their innocence until further intel proved one sent the letters to frame the other in a personal feud. The more recent letters were traced to a mentally unstable Texas woman who wanted attention to further her career during an acrimonious divorce.

The government is not out to get you, you're one of millions of individuals living in the U.S. (or xxx nation). Currently there are checks and balances in addition to oversight in ascertaining possible domestic threats. If local and federal authorities target you, there's usually good cause. This isn't "Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay".

otismotive77
Jun 16, 2013, 02:11 PM
good thing, i like to stay updated. would be nice to see 'em.
but i have to say, it's pretty frustrating when you're waiting for someone's reply and your network trolls you....:rolleyes:

Dopeyman
Jun 16, 2013, 02:59 PM
I think George Lopez said it best:

"My grandmother used to think the Amber alert was the same girl. Every time we pass it.....Mira, Amber got into another car today. Sta mas puta que la chingada"

beaniemyman
Jun 16, 2013, 03:17 PM
well i dont like these network messages, i can stay up to date without these messages.
i'd be better off without these messages, it's time to turn off notifications.

Tophersky
Jun 16, 2013, 04:47 PM

My Sprint iPhone already does this.

marvin4653
Jun 16, 2013, 05:07 PM
The real questions to ponder are:
1) Is the authorization to do this limited enough under the WARN Act (which gave the government the authority)?
That of course is a good question to ask. The scope of this alert system appears quite limited.

The WARN Act, codified in relevant part at 47 U.S.C. § 1201-05, instructed the FCC to form an advisory committee in order to recommend action to the FCC:

The Advisory Committee shall develop and submit to the Federal Communications Commission recommendations--

(1) for protocols, technical capabilities, and technical procedures through which electing commercial mobile service providers receive, verify, and transmit alerts to subscribers;

(2) for the establishment of technical standards for priority transmission of alerts by electing commercial mobile service providers to subscribers;

(3) for relevant technical standards for devices and equipment and technologies used by electing commercial mobile service providers to transmit emergency alerts to subscribers;

(4) for the technical capability to transmit emergency alerts by electing commercial mobile providers to subscribers in languages in addition to English, to the extent practicable and feasible;

(5) under which electing commercial mobile service providers may offer subscribers the capability of preventing the subscriber's device from receiving emergency alerts, or classes of such alerts, (other than an alert issued by the President), consistent with section 1201(b)(2)(E) of this title;

(6) for a process under which commercial mobile service providers can elect to transmit emergency alerts if--
(A) not all of the devices or equipment used by such provider are capable of receiving such alerts; or
(B) the provider cannot offer such alerts throughout the entirety of its service area; and

(7) as otherwise necessary to enable electing commercial mobile service providers to transmit emergency alerts to subscribers.47 U.S.C. § 1202(c).

Following those recommendations, the FCC was instructed to do the following:

[T]he Commission shall complete a proceeding to adopt relevant technical standards, protocols, procedures, and other technical requirements . . . to enable commercial mobile service alerting capability for commercial mobile service providers that voluntarily elect to transmit emergency alerts.
47 U.S.C. § 1201(a).

Congress did require the FCC to examine whether subscribers should be allowed to continue to opt-out of alert notifications, and submit a report of their findings to Congress:

Any commercial mobile service licensee electing to transmit emergency alerts may offer subscribers the capability of preventing the subscriber's device from receiving such alerts, or classes of such alerts, other than an alert issued by the President. Within 2 years after the Commission completes the proceeding under paragraph (1), the Commission shall examine the issue of whether a commercial mobile service provider should continue to be permitted to offer its subscribers such capability. The Commission shall submit a report with its recommendations to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Energy and Commerce of the House of Representatives.
47 U.S.C. § 1201(b)(2)(E).

The FCC, in turn, adopted rules providing which types of messages participating cellular providers are required to send to their subscribers:

A Participating CMS Provider is required to receive and transmit three classes of Alert Messages: Presidential Alert; Imminent Threat Alert; and Child Abduction Emergency/AMBER Alert.

(a) Presidential Alert. A Presidential Alert is an alert issued by the President of the United States or the President's authorized designee.

(b) Imminent Threat Alert. An Imminent Threat Alert is an alert that meets a minimum value for each of three CAP elements: Urgency, Severity, and Certainty.

(1) Urgency. The CAP Urgency element must be either Immediate (i.e., responsive action should be taken immediately) or Expected (i.e., responsive action should be taken soon, within the next hour).
(2) Severity. The CAP Severity element must be either Extreme (i.e., an extraordinary threat to life or property) or Severe (i.e., a significant threat to life or property).
(3) Certainty. The CAP Certainty element must be either Observed (i.e., determined to have occurred or to be ongoing) or Likely (i.e., has a probability of greater than 50 percent).

(c) Child Abduction Emergency/AMBER Alert.
(1) An AMBER Alert is an alert initiated by a local government official based on the U.S. Department of Justice's five criteria that should be met before an alert is activated:
(i) Law enforcement confirms a child has been abducted;
(ii) The child is 17 years or younger;
(iii) Law enforcement believes the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death;
(iv) There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction to believe an immediate broadcast alert will help; and
(v) The child's name and other data have been entered into the National Crime Information Center.
(2) There are four types of AMBER Alerts: Family Abduction; Non-family Abduction; Lost, Injured or Otherwise Missing; and Endangered Runaway.
(i) Family Abduction. A Family Abduction (FA) alert involves an abductor who is a family member of the abducted child such as a parent, aunt, grandfather, or stepfather.
(ii) Nonfamily Abduction. A Nonfamily Abduction (NFA) alert involves an abductor unrelated to the abducted child, either someone unknown to the child and/or the child's family or an acquaintance/friend of the child and/or the child's family.
(iii) Lost, Injured, or Otherwise Missing. A Lost, Injured, or Otherwise Missing (LIM) alert involves a case where the circumstances of the child's disappearance are unknown.
(iv) Endangered Runaway. An Endangered Runaway (ERU) alert involves a missing child who is believed to have run away and in imminent danger.
47 C.F.R. § 10.400.

An alert is required to contain certain information:

A WEA Alert Message processed by a Participating CMS Provider shall include five mandatory CAP elements--Event Type; Area Affected; Recommended Action; Expiration Time (with time zone); and Sending Agency. This requirement does not apply to Presidential Alerts.
47 C.F.R. § 10.420

"CAP" refers to the "Common Alerting Protocol", and those five message elements are set forth in the reference provided here:

Common Alerting Protocol. The Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) refers to Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (OASIS) Standard CAP–V1.1, October 2005 (available at http://www.oasis-open.org/specs/index.php#capv1.1), or any subsequent version of CAP adopted by OASIS and implemented by the WEA.
47 C.F.R. § 10.10(b).

An alert can be no longer than 90 characters, and cannot contain a URL or telephone number (except for presidential alerts). 47 C.F.R. §§ 10.430, 10.440.

Subscribers' mobile devices are required to have the following capabilities:

(a) Authentication of interactions with CMS Provider infrastructure.
(b) Monitoring for Alert Messages.
(c) Maintaining subscriber alert opt-out selections, if any.
(d) Maintaining subscriber alert language preferences, if any.
(e) Extraction of alert content in English or the subscriber's preferred language, if applicable.
(f) Presentation of alert content to the device, consistent with subscriber opt-out selections. Presidential Alerts must always be presented.
(g) Detection and suppression of presentation of duplicate alerts.
47 C.F.R. § 10.500.

But, an alert is prohibited from preempting an active voice or data connection. 47 C.F.R. § 10.510.

Where an alert is restricted to a specific geographic area, a cellular provider may not broadcast the alert to a broader area than specified:

A Participating CMS Provider must transmit any Alert Message that is specified by a geocode, circle, or polygon to an area not larger than the provider's approximation of coverage for the Counties or County Equivalents with which that geocode, circle, or polygon intersects. If, however, the propagation area of a provider's transmission site exceeds a single County or County Equivalent, a Participating CMS Provider may transmit an Alert Message to an area not exceeding the propagation area.
47 C.F.R. § 10.450.

yg17
Jun 16, 2013, 05:07 PM

The president isn't going to be spamming you with ads for penis enlargement pills. It's not like President Obama is sitting there in the Oval Office typing out messages. It's to notify you of an impending natural disaster or potential attack.

Lets assume you are correct. You aren't, because they're broadcast via satellite to the providers (and customers of Dish and DirectTV), but let's just assume you are. Do you think those cable lines don't touch public land? Not a single inch of the tens of thousands of miles of cable criss crossing this country that HBO's signal might travel over goes underneath public land?

The only argument that is a fail is yours.

donutbagel
Jun 16, 2013, 07:56 PM
(cut)

I agree with you're saying, but more importantly, nice avatar!

pooleman
Jun 16, 2013, 09:04 PM
When I

----------

When I plugged into iTunes today the message came up from AT&T. I simply pushed cancel and I don't tho I it installed.

spazzcat
Jun 16, 2013, 09:22 PM
We got them last week here in Cleveland, I had to pull myself of the ceiling from the tornado warning we had last week. I had just fallen in to a nice deep sleep...

----------

They are only for emergencies, like tornadoes and Amber alerts. Also, emergencies and Amber alerts have different settings...

bdk5019
Jun 16, 2013, 10:50 PM
NY Times - FEMA Promotes Its Wireless Emergency Alert System (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/29/business/media/fema-promotes-its-wireless-emergency-alert-system.html)

http://www.fema.gov/medialibrary/media_records/12177

http://www.ready.gov/alerts

Robert.Walter
Jun 17, 2013, 05:28 AM

Well, if you are the kidnapper, I suppose getting alerts on this in real time could make you a little nervous.

xdhd350
Jun 17, 2013, 07:16 AM
Got the update on my 4s yesterday afternoon. Nothing on the wife's 4. Dallas, TX area.

acctman
Jun 17, 2013, 07:30 AM

----------

Maybe the new family share access is how Big Brother is keeping his tabs on you.

It clearly has an on/off feature, but why would you want to turn it off? It's been on Verizon iPhone 5 for a while and have yet to hear anyone complaining about getting a warning or important information.

SpaceKitty
Jun 17, 2013, 07:40 AM
It clearly has an on/off feature, but why would you want to turn it off? It's been on Verizon iPhone 5 for a while and have yet to hear anyone complaining about getting a warning or important information.

It's a very good thing that it can be turned off.

A few weeks ago, there was an amber alert here in Denver/Longmont. A guy took off with his kid without permission.

The first few hours, I got about five amber alerts for the same thing, not really a problem. Later that night at work, within an hour, I got at least ten more amber alerts, some of them within five minutes of each other, all for the same alert. I had to turn it off, remember, I was at my job.

I use T-Mobile so these have been active for months.

spazzcat
Jun 17, 2013, 08:07 AM
My Sprint iPhone already does this.

ATT is the last to turn them on...

t76turbo
Jun 17, 2013, 09:40 AM

You lost all credibility on this topic when you decided to use Obamas 'O' symbol as your avatar.

vpndev
Jun 17, 2013, 10:07 AM
I am no an AT&T customer, using Consumer Cellular instead. They're an AT&T MVNO.

But I also received the AT&T update and that changed Cellular settings so this looks like an AT&T phone (including a new item in Settings -> Phone labeled "AT&T Services").

And I can no longer access the configuration settings for MMS etc. Ugh.

MegamanX
Jun 17, 2013, 10:30 AM

I sugest you just stop using cell phones. iPhone was just the last one to get this update. Flip phones are going to be getting this system next. Android already had it working.

Since the White house one has NEVER in its history been used it is a non issues. Just people spreading FUD.

All others you can turn off. On my phone I turned off everything but extreme. Which means I will get things like tonado warning which yes I would want.

I turned off amber alerts because to be blunt they just are not useful and most of the time I find they are for places more than 5 hours away and I am inside a building most of the time.

bedifferent
Jun 17, 2013, 10:32 AM
nice avatar!

Thanks, since a lot have already done it I thought it might be a tired joke but still cracks me up :p

MegamanX
Jun 17, 2013, 10:32 AM

not really going to be able to happen. As soon as you phone hits a network those networks can push down the updates so your phone will work with their network.

racer1441
Jun 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
I sugest you just stop using cell phones.

That's my plan actually. iMessage is enough for my day to day contacts, add in some Skype minutes and I'm a happy camper.

MegamanX
Jun 17, 2013, 12:41 PM
That's my plan actually. iMessage is enough for my day to day contacts, add in some Skype minutes and I'm a happy camper.

which means you are limited to wifi only. You will have ZERO access to any cell network.

racer1441
Jun 17, 2013, 01:17 PM
which means you are limited to wifi only. You will have ZERO access to any cell network.

Not a issue for me. I dont need connected that much when I'm out and about. I have no interest in checking my mail in line at the grocery store.

donutbagel
Jun 17, 2013, 01:28 PM
You lost all credibility on this topic when you decided to use Obamas 'O' symbol as your avatar.

So far, everything he's said has been true, not that I really approve of the Obama avatar either.

maflynn
Jun 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
The thread is off the rails at this point, please join or start any PRSI topics in the PRSI forum. The iOS Blog is not the appropriate place for such topics.