Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigskymusiclove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Greetings, new mac user and new member. I found some macs on an e-waste pallet at my local scrap yard and made an offer($10 a tower). I ended getting two Quicksilver G4's 733 Mhz, and a 1 Ghz Emac (that I am posting this on). I did a fresh install of Tiger 10.4 on all three systems and am very happy with the performance, and am learning a lot.

Now I ordered a Bondi Blue IMac G3 Rev A from E-bay. Assuming it survives shipping and has no problems, what OS did it ship with and were would I found this OS? If it's not braking any rules, a downloadable burnable copy is what I am after for now.

Thank you for your time!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Those iMacs came with Mac OS 8.1. But you need a restore disc for that machine to be able to run 8.1. There are no legally downloadable versions that your iMac can run.

bigskymusiclove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Thanks for your answer, now when you say I need a restore disc for that machine, do you mean any REV A/B Bondi Blue I-Mac, or is it more complicated then that? I don't know if it's a Rev A or B, don't they both have IrDA ports? I assume Rev B came with 8.5?

If someone could image, an Bondi Blue I-mac restore disk that would greatly appreciated. If no one is willing to image a copy, can you give me part numbers or what the disc will look like.

Thanks!

Those iMacs came with Mac OS 8.1. But you need a restore disc for that machine to be able to run 8.1. There are no legally downloadable versions that your iMac can run.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Only the rev A came with an IrDA port and only it runs OS 8.1. Someone can't legally share or image an iMac's 8.1 restore disc, beyond physically giving you the actual disc.

bigskymusiclove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
With my very limited knowledge, I know that not to be true, I know both Rev A and B have IrDA ports.

Do you have any suggestions, were to find a restore CD, I need something cheap or free :)

Only the rev A came with an IrDA port and only it runs OS 8.1. Someone can't legally share or image an iMac's 8.1 restore disc, beyond physically giving you the actual disc.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
With my very limited knowledge, I know that not to be true, I know both Rev A and B have IrDA ports.

Do you have any suggestions, were to find a restore CD, I need something cheap or free :)

Only the rev A has the hardware, but the rev B has a connector for it on the logicboard. I suggest looking on eBay.

bigskymusiclove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
Well if a retail copy won't work, and a Imac DV copy won't work, I cant' find anything anywhere, so it looks like I bought myself a bondi blue paper weight.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
A retail 8.1 disc won't work. But a 8.5, 8.6, 9.X disc will. Even a 10.0-10.3 disc will work, once the firmware has been updated.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Well if a retail copy won't work, and a Imac DV copy won't work, I cant' find anything anywhere, so it looks like I bought myself a bondi blue paper weight.
Have you looked on ebay? System discs for old Macs frequently crop up. But why do you need the discs? Is the iMac you bought non-functional? Does it not come with the discs it shipped with?

Also, the revision A iMac will run up to Mac OS X 10.3.9, so any retail Mac OS from 8.5 up will install just fine (as Intell says above).

bigskymusiclove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2013
None on there now for the iMac A & B, that I can find expect a iMac DV set. It's working and booting to 8.5 per the ebay ad. I need discs, because I can only assume it's messed up beyond belief, the OS has been likely installed for 15 years. It don't come with any CD's that I know of.

Thanks for the link mac garden, the download links are dead, but I fired off an email to the guy.

Have you looked on ebay? System discs for old Macs frequently crop up. But why do you need the discs? Is the iMac you bought non-functional? Does it not come with the discs it shipped with?

Also, the revision A iMac will run up to Mac OS X 10.3.9, so any retail Mac OS from 8.5 up will install just fine (as Intell says above).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.