Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Campbellot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
My take was the following and would like to know if you folks had similar issues/thoughts/experiences.

Definitely a prettier iOS. Fading in and out screen on/off is nice. Using the entire screen as a swipe was nice. The icons, while not spectacular, seemed fine. The folder icons were blah. LOVE the fact you can have more than 12 icons per folder but wished they would let you see 12 at a time as opposed to only 9 per page.

There a A LOT of white...but you get used to that.

The animations/transitions between apps and the home screen are fine but seem to slow down your speed of using the device.

Safari was a better and faster experience. The disappearing nav buttons is a nice touch.

Control Panel = great and about time. IMO....probably the best function of iOS7.

Parallax effect is fun. It's really cute when you use a panorama picture for the lock screen....go try that out.

Calendar and Notes....blah. Nothing special. It's nice that you have year view on calendar. Would be nicer if your events were marked with colored dots in accord with your calendar(s) colors as other apps do while in month mode. Notes was very basic with tons of white and the yellow text on top of that did not look great.

Camera....very good. Seemed more responsive.

Maps....been looking for two things to change and they did. Night mode for maps AND the ability to adjust the volume of siri guidance voice easily as opposed to shutting off the Bluetooth connection completely. That was annoying.

Messages...I liked the use of flat chat bubbles with gradients. Completely fine.

App Store....MUCH FASTER. That was nice.

This beta is less buggy than ios6s beta BUT there were some bugs for me :

DND mode was not registering at the top of the screen with crescent moon icon.

Battery drain was EXCESSIVE. Even after taking the suggestions by many posters I was getting 1-2% drain every 2-3 min. Hey...it's a beta and this will be addressed.

Swiping back through messages was a little wonky.

The sharing of images pops up a chunky menu. Great for some to give lots of choices but a little too cluttered for my taste. Really wish if you do not use pass code to lock the phone that when you access the camera from the lock screen you can also access the sharing menu easily.

Overall I liked the new iOS but hopefully some tweaking will be done. I would have kept the beta on my phone if the battery drain wasn't so excessive.

Thanks for reading and please share your experience with iOS7.

PlanetFree

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
London, England
Hi Campbellot can i ask you a question about IOS7.

If I have two copy's of the same picture in say a wallpaper album and a picture album can I delete only one copy of the picture or is the anoying IOS 6 'delete everywhere' option still there. Hope they fixed that ridiculous 'delete everywhere' fault in IOS 6. Thanks for any help in answering my question :)

Campbellot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2013
Hi Campbellot can i ask you a question about IOS7.

If I have two copy's of the same picture in say a wallpaper album and a picture album can I delete only one copy of the picture or is the anoying IOS 6 'delete everywhere' option still there. Hope they fixed that ridiculous 'delete everywhere' fault in IOS 6. Thanks for any help in answering my question :)

Hey PlanetFree...although I browsed the wallpapers and albums I did not look specifically into that aspect. Sorry.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
DND now can be set to work only in locked mode (as is the only case in iOS 7) or in both locked and unlocked modes (which is new). Depending on which one you have selected you will have the crescent moon icon appear either only when locked or also when unlocked (when DND is on of course).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I got ios 7 loaded on my 4s around 11pm last night. Quicker install than I recall for ios 6. I did a clean install, set my Siri alarm (which I hit snooze several times), turned off Location Services and App background refresh. Got up at 7:30 and my phone is at 94% from a full charge.

iTunes radio is responsive, easy to navigate, and set up your own radio stations. I like the layout. Listening to it now.

App store is more responsive and faster loading than ios 6, in my limited experience with this beta.

No problems (thus far) with Wi-Fi.

Weather app reminds me a lot of the Yahoo Weather app. I like the new app and no longer see a need to install Yahoo Weather.

Safari is definitely loading faster than in ios 6. I haven't tried the new features, yet. When I see the Safari icon, the first thing that comes to mind is compass. Odd looking icon for the browser, in my opinion.

I like the new swipe up to access airplane mode, wifi, flashlight etc. I haven't been able to get the swipe on the first try every time. I don't know if it is a bug or my Otterbox case.

As it stands, I plan on keeping ios 7 on my phone, unless something untoward happens. As I learn my way around and use ios 7 more, I will add to my post here.

If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to answer.

Good thread OP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.