PDA

View Full Version : Don't be an idiot like I am: Resist the urge to have the "latest and greatest" OS X

DeputyRob
Jun 15, 2013, 12:09 PM
Hi...

I'll preface this by saying I'm the fool who never learns. I somehow get lured into having the "latest and greatest" version of OS X and it often leads to my own peril. The latest example of my gnat-sized brain at work was the installation of OS X 10.9 through a bona fide Apple Developer account. (I may be a fool but at least I didn't download a Torrent or pirated version.) So what's going on?

My installation of OSX 10.9 "Beta" (13A476u) has been a complete disaster. Mail crashes and neither Terminal nor the App Store icons work; double-clicking on the Terminal or App Store icon does nothing. Oddly enough, after installing OS X 10.9, my Ethernet no longer functions but WiFi does. Refreshing the DHCP lease always results in a 169.x.x.x IP address which, as we know, is reserved and will not link with my ISP. Another issue: The OS X installation disk that came with the iMac will not allow me to install it and, because the App Store application doesn't load, I can't download OS X 10.8 to re-install Mountain Lion. To make matters worse, I didn't do a backup so I now have a 27" i7 iMac that's useless.

Please don't rip me for being an idiot as I already know that's the case. All I can do now is warn others that it's best to wait for any given version of OS X to be released to the public, however "difficult" that may be.

In the meanwhile, any suggestions to get my Mac up and running again would be appreciated. Luckily, I don't have much of anything that's per se "important" on my computer (hence my nonchalance regarding backups) so I didn't incur data or monetary loss, just inconvenience.

Regards,

Rob

C64
Jun 15, 2013, 12:23 PM
Wait, are you saying that there are bugs in the first developer preview version?

Just install it on a separate disk/partition/secondary Mac, instead of your primary machine/drive.

Dwinguel
Jun 15, 2013, 12:31 PM
Oh dear, sorry to hear that.

If you erase your whole drive, you should be able to reinstall Mountain Lion on it.

Normally, you can put it on a USB key and install from there.

But do you have any means to download Mountain Lion again (since you said you can't access the App store anymore)?

If not, maybe you need to find a way to get it working (maybe google can get you a solution...) to then download ML.

DeputyRob
Jun 15, 2013, 12:33 PM
Wait, are you saying that there are bugs in the first developer preview version?

Just install it on a separate disk/partition/secondary Mac, instead of your primary machine/drive.

Ah, yes. More sarcasm. I already stated three times in my original post that I was a fool and politely asked for respondents to refrain from piling it on further. Apparently, that was lost on you.

thejadedmonkey
Jun 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
First, get a backup. Something as simple as drag and drop to an external drive will get most of your data, then just make sure you backup your mail and bookmarks, if they don't sync with iCloud.

THEN.

put your install DVD in your mac, and open up disk utility. erase the hard drive, completely. That will let your OS X dvd install onto your mac. Then you can go about restoring your data, in whatever manner works best.

Dwinguel
Jun 15, 2013, 12:42 PM
Also, other people seem to want to go back to ML from 10.9.

Have a look here for a way to go back to ML in case you hit problems: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1595319

Risco
Jun 15, 2013, 12:47 PM
Sounds to me like corrupt plist files. Try this to get the App store working:

Go to and delete ( ONLY THE PLIST) ~ Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist
Go to and delete ( ONLY THE PLIST ) ~ /Library/Preferences/com.apple.storeagent.plist
Go to and delete everything inside ~ /Library/Preferences/ByHost/

The 169 issue should be solved by this ( i would also reboot your router before hand ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCBRsSvFwA

For Terminal:

Go to ~/Library/Preferences.

Move the com.apple.Terminal.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac.

~ (Tilde) represents your Home folder.

mreckhof
Jun 15, 2013, 01:18 PM
If you didn't do a clean install and still have any desire to use 10.9, try that first.

travisbrowning
Jun 15, 2013, 01:20 PM
Bummer man :( Mavericks is running better than Mountain Lion for me, I can't wait to get the GM and do a clean install.

DeputyRob
Jun 15, 2013, 01:27 PM
Sounds to me like corrupt plist files. Try this to get the App store working:

Go to and delete ( ONLY THE PLIST) ~ Library/Preferences/com.apple.appstore.plist
Go to and delete ( ONLY THE PLIST ) ~ /Library/Preferences/com.apple.storeagent.plist
Go to and delete everything inside ~ /Library/Preferences/ByHost/

The 169 issue should be solved by this ( i would also reboot your router before hand ):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHCBRsSvFwA

For Terminal:

Go to ~/Library/Preferences.

Move the com.apple.Terminal.plist file to the Trash.

Restart your Mac.

~ (Tilde) represents your Home folder.

Excellent advice. I tried all of your suggestions and they didn't seem to get my computer running again. I also watched the self-assigned IP problem video you linked and thought that would work for sure. Oddly enough, it didn't. I still have WiFi but my Ethernet continues to be assigned a 169.x.x.x IP address.

I really do appreciate your efforts, though. It's great to see people stepping up to help instead of ripping me for mistakes I've already admitted to.

----------

If you didn't do a clean install and still have any desire to use 10.9, try that first. It doesn't take long to create the USB bootable install and I've noticed things run much smoother.

How is that performed? My original 10.9 installation program seems to have been automatically deleted as part of the installation. If not, where would it be?

mreckhof
Jun 15, 2013, 01:34 PM
See PM

Risco
Jun 15, 2013, 01:51 PM
Excellent advice. I tried all of your suggestions and they didn't seem to get my computer running again. I also watched the self-assigned IP problem video you linked and thought that would work for sure. Oddly enough, it didn't. I still have WiFi but my Ethernet continues to be assigned a 169.x.x.x IP address.

I really do appreciate your efforts, though. It's great to see people stepping up to help instead of ripping me for mistakes I've already admitted to.

----------

How is that performed? My original 10.9 installation program seems to have been automatically deleted as part of the installation. If not, where would it be?

Ahh damn, shame none of that worked. :eek: You could try either reinstalling over the top ( won't lose data, but backup just in case! )

Or try downgrading..

QaDMbmsRqkQ

DeputyRob
Jun 15, 2013, 02:42 PM
Hi all:

I was able to get my Ethernet back up and running and it had zero to do with OS X 10.9. I have my entire house hardwired with Cat 6 Ethernet cabling and every room's port runs through an 8-port TrendNet TEG-S80g gigabit switch. It appears that switch died at the same time I upgraded to OS X 10.9, an unfortunate coincidence that confounded a proper diagnosis.

Thanks again for everyone's support. Please keep the suggestions coming.

DarkRyoushii
Jun 15, 2013, 11:10 PM
Your experience has been very different from mine. Installed on my laptop in my signature straight over the top of ML with no Time Machine backup made prior and had absolutely zero issues so far. The only semi-issue was Skype and Viscosity but both were fixed with reinstalling a different older/newer version.

Hope everything gets sorted out, also I'm a Windows sysadmin but don't macs have an online based recovery partition? Hold command-R on boot and use it to download and install the version of OS X that came with your mac?

jozeppy26
Jun 15, 2013, 11:53 PM
Skype 6.5 works fine for me. Is that an old version or something?

actisys
Jun 16, 2013, 05:18 AM
Just fresh install your Maverick .. I have no problem at all .. the only problem only Crossover not working with Steam .. other than that.. no problem at all :P

Jun 16, 2013, 06:30 AM
Hi...

I'll preface this by saying I'm the fool who never learns. I somehow get lured into having the "latest and greatest" version of OS X and it often leads to my own peril. The latest example of my gnat-sized brain at work was the installation of OS X 10.9 through a bona fide Apple Developer account. (I may be a fool but at least I didn't download a Torrent or pirated version.) So what's going on?

My installation of OSX 10.9 "Beta" (13A476u) has been a complete disaster. Mail crashes and neither Terminal nor the App Store icons work; double-clicking on the Terminal or App Store icon does nothing. Oddly enough, after installing OS X 10.9, my Ethernet no longer functions but WiFi does. Refreshing the DHCP lease always results in a 169.x.x.x IP address which, as we know, is reserved and will not link with my ISP. Another issue: The OS X installation disk that came with the iMac will not allow me to install it and, because the App Store application doesn't load, I can't download OS X 10.8 to re-install Mountain Lion. To make matters worse, I didn't do a backup so I now have a 27" i7 iMac that's useless.

Please don't rip me for being an idiot as I already know that's the case. All I can do now is warn others that it's best to wait for any given version of OS X to be released to the public, however "difficult" that may be.

In the meanwhile, any suggestions to get my Mac up and running again would be appreciated. Luckily, I don't have much of anything that's per se "important" on my computer (hence my nonchalance regarding backups) so I didn't incur data or monetary loss, just inconvenience.

Regards,

Rob

Well, that's why they call it "developer beta".

sofianito
Jun 16, 2013, 06:37 AM
As a suggestion, next time install it on a virtual machine. It is easier and safer...

Shocco
Jun 16, 2013, 07:00 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your problems but I am extremely happy I upgraded to Mavericks. I have a 4 year old Macbook that was chugging along but due to the innovations within Mavericks such as App Napp the machine feels brand new.

Sometimes you're going to have problems but if you're going to take the risk of upgrading make sure all your important info is backed up.

legioxi
Jun 16, 2013, 07:36 AM
Haven't had any issues with it on my 15" rMBP. Have not installed it on my work 13" or my server iMac though. I'd look at installing it on a second partition or a VM in the future if you only have one Mac and want to check it out.

leman
Jun 16, 2013, 07:37 AM
Works fine for me, as stable as ML ever was. And the improved battery life and graphical performance makes my computing experience even more enjoyable :D

NJRonbo
Jun 16, 2013, 08:30 AM
Stable for me as well.

A few programs not working, but for the most part it seems to be running quite well.

I am not finding enough faults that I need to revert back to Mountain Lion.

I think I'll be using this DP, and all the ones yet to be released, up through the Gold Master.

NewbieCanada
Jun 16, 2013, 09:49 AM
Your experience has been very different from mine. Installed on my laptop in my signature straight over the top of ML with no Time Machine backup made prior and had absolutely zero issues so far. The only semi-issue was Skype and Viscosity but both were fixed with reinstalling a different older/newer version.

Hope everything gets sorted out, also I'm a Windows sysadmin but don't macs have an online based recovery partition? Hold command-R on boot and use it to download and install the version of OS X that came with your mac?

Same experience I had on my mid 2012 MBA. Didn't bother with any back-up since there's no unique information stored on it and as you say, it can always be restored.

ResPublica
Jun 16, 2013, 09:55 AM
People should install it on a USB hard drive, and never use it as a replacement for their stable OS, unless they do very little with their Mac.

NJRonbo
Jun 16, 2013, 10:24 AM
People should install it on a USB hard drive, and never use it as a replacement for their stable OS, unless they do very little with their Mac.

Listen, I am torn. That's good, standard advice you are giving. I am not blaming you for what you are trying to convey...

...but coming from someone who has run Developer Preview versions as my operating system since Mountain Lion, I don't totally agree.

Just as with Mountain Lion DP1, this is a very stable preview.

Of course, mileage does vary between users.

I am on a brand-new 2013 iMac with i7 processor and 16GB ram.

I see no problems with this DP other than a few programs not working -- and they are not major ones. I contacted those developers and they are already telling me that compatibility updates are soon to arrive.

I think this DP can be used everyday, over your initial ML operating system, as long as you did a backup using a program like SuperDuper.

You should also read threads on this forum to find out exactly what programs do not work.

...but I am impressed with what I see thus far.

Walter White
Jun 16, 2013, 10:37 AM
Next time RTFM.

springsup
Jun 16, 2013, 10:41 AM
People should start using Time Machine. Seriously, I love Time Machine.

If that kind of thing happens, you can restore the entire OS from a TM backup straight from the recovery screen (disk if you have one, built-in if you don't).

Thanks to local snapshots, it even works offline now for recent changes and uploads those revisions to your TM when you're back. The biggest issue for the very paranoid was data reliability; but now since you can do alternate backups to different disks even that should be solid.

Apparently it's even supported with USB drives attached to the new (tall) Airport Extremes, but if you have an old model there are plenty of guides available.

coldjeanzzz
Jun 16, 2013, 12:56 PM
I don't have a problem with always installing the latest and greatest...when it's stable :D. Then again when I ran Ubuntu I used to install development versions all the time and used them on my main machine, it was probably stupid but I didn't care since I tend to take the risk first and then deal with the consequences after. When I got a Mac I certainly was less confident to take such gambles though.

tim100
Jun 16, 2013, 01:56 PM
could the op partition the hd to have both mountain lion on one partition and mavericks on another. then delete the mavericks partitioned?

DeputyRob
Jun 16, 2013, 09:36 PM
Hi all:

My i7 iMac is back up and running. I did a fresh install of 10.9 after copying the contents of the bootable SSD over to the OE 1.0TB hard drive and wiping the SSD clean.

The new install is working well. I've noted a few broken pieces of software--ClamXAv being one of them (Error #134, whatever that is)--but nothing overly glaring at this point. I can't comment on overall system resource use (compared to OS X 10.8.x) as iStat 4.x that ran under 10.8.x appears to be incompatible with 10.9.

I do appreciate the many of you who attempted to help despite my mistake.

Regards,

Rob

jozeppy26
Jun 17, 2013, 02:03 AM

I'm a med student who only uses safari and mail and calendar really. Maybe word and iphoto here and there. Photoshop if I'm feeling fancy. I made the leap. I guess that's considered little enough?

----------

Hi all:

My i7 iMac is back up and running. I did a fresh install of 10.9 after copying the contents of the bootable SSD over to the OE 1.0TB hard drive and wiping the SSD clean.

The new install is working well. I've noted a few broken pieces of software--ClamXAv being one of them (Error #134, whatever that is)--but nothing overly glaring at this point. I can't comment on overall system resource use (compared to OS X 10.8.x) as iStat 4.x that ran under 10.8.x appears to be incompatible with 10.9.

I do appreciate the many of you who attempted to help despite my mistake.

Regards,

Rob

I installed istat menu on 10.9 and it runs fine. Preferences window sometimes crashes but that's it.

Walter White
Jun 17, 2013, 08:01 AM
I'm a med student who only uses safari and mail and calendar really. Maybe word and iphoto here and there. Photoshop if I'm feeling fancy. I made the leap. I guess that's considered little enough?

----------

I installed istat menu on 10.9 and it runs fine. Preferences window sometimes crashes but that's it.

Yep i have latest version and it works fine.

throAU
Jun 17, 2013, 08:05 AM
Something is borked in your mac, maybe try a reinstall.

I'm running 10.9 here on my 2011 MBP 15" and have had zero issues other than a few system preference panes missing graphics and just having blacked out bits.

Mail works, terminal works, etc.

Not saying you have no issues - just saying that maybe you can fix it and still run 10.9. Works pretty much fine here and I"m preferring it to Mountain Lion purely for multi monitor full-screen and the power consumption.

You did take a backup prior to installing, yes? Worst case scenario, I go back to 10.8 and restore from backup... no big deal.

Home machine. If you're installing it for work you're nuts, unless you're a paid developer and it is your job to evaluate :D

edit:
looks like i'm ... .late :D

NotAdvisable
Jun 17, 2013, 10:07 AM
Reiterating what everyone's already confirmed, I'm running OS X 10.9 DP1 as smoothly as 10.8.2 ran; if not I dare say better.

Scrolling is like a knife through butter, HandBreak is so fast I can't make a cocktail quick enough to put down when it's finished and developing seems easier with some new SDK's and the latest Xcode.

I'm using it on my production rMBP 15" (2012) - taking precautions such as data backup, Time Machine backup and also a HDD clone just incase.

If you want to get DP1 because you're like me and you want to get into anything new ASAP, then take precautions - and stick to genuine developer accounts!!

Happy dev'ing :)

barmann
Jun 17, 2013, 06:17 PM
Ah, yes. More sarcasm. I already stated three times in my original post that I was a fool and politely asked for respondents to refrain from piling it on further. Apparently, that was lost on you.

Frankly, it's been lost on me, too .

If full backups/clones are not part of your daily routine, and are not done even before moving to a new DP OS, then the entire point of the thread is : back up and clone, repeat at least once.
Add Time Machine if you want to, just don't rely on it for recovering changed OSs , nor on recovery partitions.

Embio
Jun 18, 2013, 04:04 AM
Reiterating what everyone's already confirmed, I'm running OS X 10.9 DP1 as smoothly as 10.8.2 ran; if not I dare say better.

Scrolling is like a knife through butter, HandBreak is so fast I can't make a cocktail quick enough to put down when it's finished and developing seems easier with some new SDK's and the latest Xcode.

I'm using it on my production rMBP 15" (2012) - taking precautions such as data backup, Time Machine backup and also a HDD clone just incase.

If you want to get DP1 because you're like me and you want to get into anything new ASAP, then take precautions - and stick to genuine developer accounts!!

Happy dev'ing :)

if I were you I'd also test those backups from time to time as well to make sure you aren't backing up garbage. I think Carbon Copy Cloner also does some checks when it's backing up as well....

maflynn
Jun 18, 2013, 05:54 AM
AFAIK, many developers choose to run an image backup of their system prior to installing a beta OS, that way they can easily downgrade. I suspect the recovery partition that is now created in OSX only complicates things.

I feel your pain OP, and I'll not say anything other then the beta program is designed to shake out bugs and give developers time to review the changes in the OS to do their fit gap analysis and update their apps.

~Mike

Mr. Retrofire
Jun 18, 2013, 09:38 AM
The medical definition for this behavior is!? :p

----------

AFAIK, many developers choose to run an image backup of their system prior to installing a beta OS, that way they can easily downgrade. I suspect the recovery partition that is now created in OSX only complicates things.
Not if you select the entire device (HDD/SSD) in Disk Utility. In that case, DU or Apples asr copies & and compresses (if you selected this option) blocks from device and stores them, including a checksum, in a .dmg file. In that case your .dmg file contains the contents of the entire SSD/HDD, including the recovery partition. You just need one large external HDD/SSD for the second bootable OS and the space for the big .dmg-file.

----------

Are you from the future?

HenryDJP
Jun 18, 2013, 10:29 AM

There's no such model that I know of. I'm guessing you either made a mistake or you think just because you bought it during the year 2013 that made it a 2013 iMac. ;)

NJRonbo
Jun 19, 2013, 05:06 AM
Despite my previous replies....

I went back to Mountain Lion this morning. I used a backup made by SuperDuper to restore my iMac.

The decision to move back to ML had nothing to do with the stability of Mavericks.

There was one single program that would not work under the Developer Preview....

Elgato EyeTV.

Since I spend hours on my desktop I depend on having a television feed in a small window on my second monitor. Under Mavericks, the EyeTV software constantly crashed.

One more thing...

Aside from performance enhancements, I saw very little visual improvements over Mountain Lion. In other words, it seemed like business as usual and thus, there was no rush to upgrade to Mavericks.

I will still emphasize that DP1 is extremely stable and that your choice to upgrade should be dependent upon what programs actually work under it at this point.

Andrmgic
Jun 19, 2013, 08:32 AM
I had several issues with 10.9 after doing an upgrade from 10.8... I thought that they were issues with 10.9 and I was ready to go back to mountain lion almost immediately.

However, I was stubborn and still wanted to try 10.9 so I created a usb install for 10.9 and did a clean install.

Most of the issues I noticed have gone away with the clean install.

It is definitely not "production ready", though.. which is to be expected due to the fact that it is an early build still in development.

Loving the improvements, though.

Eithanius
Jun 19, 2013, 08:46 AM
I had several issues with 10.9 after doing an upgrade from 10.8... I thought that they were issues with 10.9 and I was ready to go back to mountain lion almost immediately.

However, I was stubborn and still wanted to try 10.9 so I created a usb install for 10.9 and did a clean install.

Most of the issues I noticed have gone away with the clean install.

It is definitely not "production ready", though.. which is to be expected due to the fact that it is an early build still in development.

Loving the improvements, though.

I had more issues with a clean install than an upgrade from Snow Leopard... no kidding... :confused:

ResPublica
Jun 21, 2013, 12:05 PM
You clearly don't use your Mac for a lot, though if you would want to write a paper or a thesis, you shouldn't install any beta software. It's strange how even many people who are interested in IT don't really use a lot of the functionality their machine offers; most stuff happens online, so it doesn't matter as much which computer you use. If you don't play games very often, most computers of today are actually a bit overpowered.

Walter White
Jun 21, 2013, 01:20 PM

I feel your pain OP, and I'll not say anything other then the beta program is designed to shake out bugs and give developers time to review the changes in the OS to do their fit gap analysis and update their apps.

~Mike

I have used 10.9 recovery partition to restore Mountain Lion backup and had no problems.