PDA

View Full Version : Apple TV without Internet

Darius17
Jun 15, 2013, 12:11 PM
i was thinking of getting a gift for my parents summer home of an appletv. they dont have internet there as dont spend enough time, but think would be useful to have appletv to be apple to view movies and other stuff on their laptop on the tv. is it possible to set up the appletv to recieve movies, music... via wifi without having an intenet connection at the time. if so what else is needed and how do i do this. many thanks

preyan
Jun 15, 2013, 12:17 PM
It's called AirPlay and yes, you do not need an internet connection, unless you want to view Youtube, etc

And you can only AirPlay from other apple devices to ATV. Just in case you meant laptop in a general sense. Macs, iPods, iPhones, iPads will all work with AirPlay.

mic j
Jun 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Airplay may work adequately. It does require Apple equipment manufactured after late 2011 (IIRC). If they have a home wifi network they can also use the aTV on that by turning HomeSharing on (both the aTV and in iTunes). Using Beamer (a software solution) might also be a solution (not sure if it requires a home wifi network or not).

Mrbobb
Jun 16, 2013, 11:06 AM
Paraphrasing something I once heard: How can one be a human being without the Internet! :D

Specially for old folks, they NEED to keep in touch.