PDA

View Full Version : Help me spend my money!

cleanup
Nov 5, 2005, 05:41 AM
I just won $250 US dollars from a t-shirt design contest.

You know what that means. Apple store, here I come.

I am strongly considering getting a 1 GB iPod shuffle plus a wireless keyboard. I already own a 4 GB iPod mini, and the shuffle would definitely be a complement. Every day I take my iPod mini out and about, and I'm always afraid something terrible's going to happen to it. The iPod shuffle would be a bit of a workaround. It would probably begin to be used more than the iPod mini, which would be saved for that occasional trip or some such.

I am also strongly considering getting an iPod nano. Unfortunately, the 4 GB iPod nano is already $249, plus more because of the exchange rate (I live in Shanghai). There are, however, several disadvantages to the nano:

- my iPod socks will no longer fit
- my two iPod mini docks will become paperweights
- I'll probably have to sell my iPod mini, and who wants an iPod mini that has the previous owner's name engraved on the back of it?
- no money for other stuff (ie. posters for my room, wireless keyboard, beer)

So, help me spend my money... should I:

1. Keep the iPod mini, buy a 1 GB shuffle plus a wireless keyboard plus beer?
2. Attempt to sell the iPod mini, buy a 4 GB iPod nano and render all of my accessories useless?
3. Spend it all on beer?

I am also strongly considering option 3. :)

[Edit] Question: Does the iPod shuffle dock only work with the iPod shuffle, or is it essentially an expensive USB cable extender? I've already got one of those, I could just use it, but the dock is a much more elegant solution. For example, could I plug a USB flash drive into the shuffle dock? Thanks.

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 05:48 AM
1. Keep the iPod mini, buy a 1 GB shuffle plus a wireless keyboard plus beer?
2. Attempt to sell the iPod mini, buy a 4 GB iPod nano and render all of my accessories useless?
3. Spend it all on beer?

I am also strongly considering option 3. :)

I'd go with #2. IIRC, the nano comes with a special dock-insert, letting you use it with old docks.
(or send it all to me. Please. Would pay for 1/8 my trip to Vienna.) :D
Pffttt, don't spend it all on beer. Like we need another drunk person posting on the forums. :p

I've found that my 512 shuffle is a little big to not have a screen. I still love it, but if I'm trying to find a specific track, I'm going forward a track and forward and forward...

What about a 2 gig nano?

maddav
Nov 5, 2005, 06:04 AM
Do whatever you want, just not #3 :p

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 06:07 AM
[Edit] Question: Does the iPod shuffle dock only work with the iPod shuffle, or is it essentially an expensive USB cable extender? I've already got one of those, I could just use it, but the dock is a much more elegant solution. For example, could I plug a USB flash drive into the shuffle dock? Thanks.

It's a fancy-pants USB extension cord.
but it's fancy.

I'm pretty sure you can put any ol' thumb drive in there.
that's essentially what the shuffle is.

lolex
Nov 5, 2005, 06:09 AM
"3" is strongly encouraged, after having the beer, you will log onto heaven where
you have any thing you want then.;)

Labi
Nov 5, 2005, 06:12 AM
"3" is strongly encouraged, after having the beer, you will log onto heaven where
you have any thing you want then.;)

But then you'll log off pretty soon and log onto reality and your account will be $250 lighter. The decision is yours :)

Deepdale
Nov 5, 2005, 06:20 AM
But then you'll log off pretty soon and log onto reality and your account will be $250 lighter. The decision is yours :)

Then we will await the new MF thread: "Can you believe I blew $250 in winnings on beer? Shoot me now!"

generik
Nov 5, 2005, 06:34 AM
Imagine how his mates will look at him when he says "Look at this new iPod I bought with my price money!!"

cleanup
Nov 5, 2005, 07:12 AM
I'd go with #2. IIRC, the nano comes with a special dock-insert, letting you use it with old docks.
Pffttt, don't spend it all on beer. Like we need another drunk person posting on the forums. :p

I've found that my 512 shuffle is a little big to not have a screen. I still love it, but if I'm trying to find a specific track, I'm going forward a track and forward and forward...

What about a 2 gig nano?

I believe the dock adapters now in circulation only work with the new Universal Dock and future accessories. My friend tried sticking his iPod nano adapter in his old 3G dock, and it didn't work. He ended up just sticking the iPod nano in with no adapter. I could do that, but I've heard horror stories of people accidentally tapping their iPod nano a little too far forward or backward while it was sitting in a non-compatible dock and breaking the dock connector on the nano.

That's what I'm kind of worried about, the shuffle. Maybe I'll just put GOOD music on it. :P The thing is, 512 MB isn't really enough. I have 2.3 GB on my iPod mini right now. 512 MB can't even fit my most-played playlist, which is 583 MB.

2 gig is definitely an option, but I'd have to slim down my music library quite a bit for everything to fit, or keep the iPod mini, and even then, I only have $50 left to spend on beer (although beer in China is very cheap; and strong).

Any other ideas? I'm beginning to lean towards either solution #1 or 2 gig iPod nano...

Chundles
Nov 5, 2005, 07:12 AM

What about a 2 gig nano?

Sorry Katie, gotta pull you up there on a technicality. The nano comes with a dock insert that works with the new universal dock, not older docks as you said.

The nano however, will work with the mini dock, it just won't fit a snugly into the space. People have reported that the dock connector is strong enough to support the nano as it is so light. Any accessories using the dock connector should work with then nano.

I'd go with a 2GB nano and the keyboard.

cleanup
Nov 5, 2005, 07:14 AM
Sorry Katie, gotta pull you up there on a technicality. The nano comes with a dock insert that works with the new universal dock, not older docks as you said.

The nano however, will work with the mini dock, it just won't fit a snugly into the space. People have reported that the dock connector is strong enough to support the nano as it is so light. Any accessories using the dock connector should work with then nano.

Hehe. Beat you.

That's definitely an option...

But I feel as though I'd end up putting my iPod mini to waste. It's only a few months old, and it's in great shape. I take great care of it.

And browsing through my iTunes library, I'm not sure if I could slim down my music library enough. I need to lose at least 500 megs for the iPod nano to last a reasonable amount of time before I need more space.

It sounds like I'm dieting. Hehe. Apple Low-Song Program.

cleanup
Nov 5, 2005, 07:44 AM
I believe I have a solution to justify buying a 2 GB iPod nano... but it requires some work, and some help from the friendly people of MacRumors.

According to Settings > About, I have only 514 songs. Despite this, those songs take up a whopping 2.3 GB, over half the mini's capacity.

This is because most of the songs in my library are 160-192 kbps MP3s.

To justify getting an iPod nano, I am willing to convert my entire library to 128 kbps AAC M4A. But... my friend did this, and while he saved enormous amounts of space, he had to rebuild his library.

Has anyone else had to do this before, and would be willing to help me? I don't want to rebuild my library and playlists, but I do want to save some space. And I'm think I'm willing to invest the time it takes to convert my library...

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 07:52 AM
To justify getting an iPod nano, I am willing to convert my entire library to 128 kbps AAC M4A. But... my friend did this, and while he saved enormous amounts of space, he had to rebuild his library.

just highlight all the songs, convert them all to AAC before you go to bed one night.

by the time you wake up, they will probably be all done. Then, you can sort songs by file type, and delete all the MP3s.

I did it before. It was all good.
It'll raise the temperature of the room a few degrees, too, so you're saving on heating bills!
YEA!

wiseguy27
Nov 5, 2005, 08:32 AM
Why not add an option #4 that says:
* Add another 50 (or 150) bucks from your pocket and buy a video iPod to complement your mini...it'll surely like a big brother for company! :D

cleanup
Nov 5, 2005, 09:03 AM
just highlight all the songs, convert them all to AAC before you go to bed one night.

by the time you wake up, they will probably be all done. Then, you can sort songs by file type, and delete all the MP3s.

I did it before. It was all good.
It'll raise the temperature of the room a few degrees, too, so you're saving on heating bills!
YEA!

What does iTunes do when I click "Convert to AAC"? Does it consolidate the library and move everything to the iTunes music folder, or does it just create new files of the exact same name and content but of a different filetype in the same folder?

Either way, I don't think I'm going to convert them. I've decided against getting an iPod nano. I can't waste the iPod mini. I'm probably going to get a 1 GB shuffle and a wireless keyboard. :)

Aarow
Nov 5, 2005, 09:21 AM

How do you know? You have a styrofoam dock!:)

Chundles
Nov 5, 2005, 09:41 AM
How do you know? You have a styrofoam dock!:)

You picking on the polystyrene dock? Hey? You picking on it?
*beats chest*

I know because I read reviews, they say helpful things sometimes you know.

I don't think Katie minded me correcting her, I don't like correcting people but in this case the truth needed to be told.

You like my polystyrene dock don't you Katie? Somebody say they do please?! My mum asked me today on her little visit if I needed a laptop stand and my thoughts moved instantly to the iCurve. Then I looked at my little DIY set-up and thought "nooo, how can I get rid of you?" I need some re-assurance.

katie ta achoo
Nov 5, 2005, 09:44 AM
You picking on the polystyrene dock? Hey? You picking on it?
*beats chest*

I know because I read reviews, they say helpful things sometimes you know.

I don't think Katie minded me correcting her, I don't like correcting people but in this case the truth needed to be told.

You like my polystyrene dock don't you Katie? Somebody say they do please?! My mum asked me today on her little visit if I needed a laptop stand and my thoughts moved instantly to the iCurve. Then I looked at my little DIY set-up and thought "nooo, how can I get rid of you?" I need some re-assurance.

I have love for the styrofoam dock! Looks like something I would make, but I don't desecrate my packaging. It's in mint condition. I am a loser.

and I didn't know that old docks didn't work with new 'uns. I suck.

Dude, don't get the iCurve. $35 hunk of plastic v. FREE (with purchase) styrofoam??
I think we BOTH know the answer.

Chundles
Nov 5, 2005, 10:12 AM
I have love for the styrofoam dock! Looks like something I would make, but I don't desecrate my packaging. It's in mint condition. I am a loser.

and I didn't know that old docks didn't work with new 'uns. I suck.

Dude, don't get the iCurve. $35 hunk of plastic v. FREE (with purchase) styrofoam??
I think we BOTH know the answer.

Thanks Katie.

I knew I was right.

SummerBreeze
Nov 5, 2005, 01:58 PM
I'd get the 1gig shuffle, the keyboard, and then (of course) beer. I've been looking at shuffles for awhile as well, and they seem to be worth the price as you can use them for music and as a flash drive.

Plus, you can get a refurb 1 gig shuffle from the Apple store for only $99. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.